PDA

View Full Version : Tales of unparalleled destruction and magnificent failure

kemmotar
2008-01-24, 12:08 PM
Taking this idea from all the "best of.." threads, this is another one. What have your or your PCs done to completely ruin the campaign, fail the quest and leave a trail of destruction? Well this is a short story of a group me friends and I had brought together...An LG goliath monk tripper(me), a frenzied berserker barbarian(think leap atttack, power attack, power lunge) and a LG cleric with a tower shield...

Our first quest was from an elder Wyrm blue dragon that blackmailed us into getting a book from a cave with the very convincing argument of: do it or i kill you...When we finally emerged from the cave with the book the blue dragon comes to claim it. Surprisingly a silightly younger, silver dragon appears and also claims the book under the: give it to me or I kill you...tough choice...either way somebody tried to kill us...Well the blue dragon attacked the silver and we waited around...Then the berserker attacked the blue dragon(killing it) and cleaved the silver dragon...killing that too....several hours and lost of dragon scales later we arrive at the nearby town to find an evil temple had risen from the ground...

Another time, we arrived at a town a vampire was terorrising. After our first confrontation(missing both the berserker and the assassin that came in later) me and the cleric try to take him down which ends up with me carrying the unconscious cleric and running like the wind...next we returned the town's people were all dead and burried...bitten by the vampire...so we start to chase him....several days of chase later we all reach his tower and we manage to slay him(only barely survived)...Upon our heroic return to the village, having slain the monster we find it overrun with the vampire spawn villagers...(villages destroyed count:1)

Thus we left not heeding this "coincidence" and moved on to a village close to our headquarters where we learned of two quests...One a village up north had ceased all communication and another village to the south that their mayor had gone missing. The northern village hadn't communicated in a very long time...nevertheless we ignored it ,it was overrun by another scourge of undead...(villages destroyed count:2)

Having left for the southern village we knew nothing of the northern ofc...we arrive to learn the mayor had gone missing and we track him down to an abandoned temple...we fought many trials until we reach the last room where we fight a yakfolk that posessed our frenzied berserker...not fun...anywyay....we injured the yakfolk and all interested parties barely escaped with their lives...we return the mayor, they hold a "show" at the arena(it was more of a small town than a village but anyway...). The berserker requested to particiate in the fight and even though it was to be done without any arms or armor he just killed the guards, the competitors....and some of the spectators...thus we fled the town...
The next day the village was overrun by a village of yakfolk that wanted to spread it's influence...the one we fought was just a scout...
(villages destroyed count:3)

And all this in maybe 4-5 sessions...not very good odds for wanna be heroes...we were actually trying to save the villages and we have a 3 out of 4 villages visited destroyed...

AmberVael
2008-01-24, 12:21 PM
Well...

We were in world with a cliche (but well made) four elements theme. There were four books which gave power and control over each element, and they would be harnessed by different people and all that jazz.
Anywho.
We had tracked down the owner of one of the books, and knew that he was going to use it to achieve some terrible end. I think we had been hired to stop him by a guild in a nearby city.

So we made our way across a lake of lava, went into the tower, fought off all his guards, and then met the evil wizard, who, in a cliche fashion, told us his plans to destroy the entire city because he damn well felt like it.
There were two of us at that point. Evil grappling fighter with the inexplicable psionic ability to turn into a ficus, and me, the chaotic neutral (with evil leanings) psion who used an over sized katana in combat even though I had no BAB to speak of. the other party members had been absent that day, and our DM's policy was that people vanish when they are gone (to go back to the guild we worked for).
We looked at each other, thought about it, then looked back at him.
We said "okay."
So we sat down in his office, he used his crystal ball, and he destroyed the city while we watched. Then we tossed him out the window and went to the city and looted it.
Thus ended the campaign which probably would have gone on for a long while...

Fawsto
2008-01-24, 12:30 PM
I have this one... Mage the Ascension, we were playing a campaing where the main enemy were prime evils and elder gods... Something like Lovecraft's Cthullu.

Anyway, our group was very, very badass, everybody had already become a master in :at least: one sphere due to the fact that we had already defeated something like 4 of 5 prime evils/elder gods adn we had bathed on the power given by such deeds never before acomplished by mere mortals. Well the fact was the following, we found the last BBEG and he was like, fu**** huge, bigger than a mountain, he had unburied himself from the depths of a cambojan temple or whatever it was. By that time I was a master of Forces, Prime and Life, so I proceed to unleash my newest trick, the Nuke. Well, we were not concearned with paradox due to the fact that the monster was already sucking every vestige of reality, so spells were free. Well, I sent the small nuclear quintessential eater sphere directly into the thing. The MoFu potencialized the sphere turning it into a 100 feet radius nuke and send it back to us. I was quite far, but the energy my character sensed made him believe that if the sphere detonated a good part of Asia would take a small trip into the space. I tryed to undo the sphere, but it was out of control so the Correspondency master desperatly sent it to the space saving us from sure death. Well he sent the Nuke to the space... Unfortunatly to Venus.

Well, in fact I was right, the explosion could have destroyed good part of Asia... It proved so when it took Venus out of the Orbit and directly into the Sun.

This is how I destroyed Venus. BTW, it was a high power mage campaing. Never, ever, let this happen to you.

Zenos
2008-01-24, 12:37 PM
I have this one... Mage the Ascension, we were playing a campaing where the main enemy were prime evils and elder gods... Something like Lovecraft's Cthullu.

Anyway, our group was very, very badass, everybody had already become a master in :at least: one sphere due to the fact that we had already defeated something like 4 of 5 prime evils/elder gods adn we had bathed on the power given by such deeds never before acomplished by mere mortals. Well the fact was the following, we found the last BBEG and he was like, fu**** huge, bigger than a mountain, he had unburied himself from the depths of a cambojan temple or whatever it was. By that time I was a master of Forces, Prime and Life, so I proceed to unleash my newest trick, the Nuke. Well, we were not concearned with paradox due to the fact that the monster was already sucking every vestige of reality, so spells were free. Well, I sent the small nuclear quintessential eater sphere directly into the thing. The MoFu potencialized the sphere turning it into a 100 feet radius nuke and send it back to us. I was quite far, but the energy my character sensed made him believe that if the sphere detonated a good part of Asia would take a small trip into the space. I tryed to undo the sphere, but it was out of control so the Correspondency master desperatly sent it to the space saving us from sure death. Well he sent the Nuke to the space... Unfortunatly to Venus.

Well, in fact I was right, the explosion could have destroyed good part of Asia... It proved so when it took Venus out of the Orbit and directly into the Sun.

This is how I destroyed Venus. BTW, it was a high power mage campaing. Never, ever, let this happen to you.

BWA HA HA :smallamused:

I don't have any, my group is too good at avoiding such and the DM is a whimp... :smallfrown:

Crimson Avenger
2008-01-24, 12:47 PM
Our very first Athas (Darksun) campaign, when someone suggested, "Hey there's only one dragon on this world, let's take it's hoard. Hilarity ensues....

Crimson Avenger
2008-01-24, 12:49 PM
Every campaign should have a , "And then I acidentally destroyed a celestial body..."

kemmotar
2008-01-24, 01:06 PM
Every campaign should have a , "And then I acidentally destroyed a celestial body..."

I wish our DM would let us play high powered wizard campaigns...suddenly three villages accidentally destroyed doesn't sound very big...twas funny though:smalltongue:

Dervag
2008-01-24, 03:10 PM
Every campaign should have a , "And then I acidentally destroyed a celestial body..."I once read a novel where, at the climax, the heroes accidentally set Pluto on fire.

Reijura
2008-01-24, 04:43 PM
So in one of the games were playing (stargate sg-1 theme with D20 modern) I play the typical Daniel jackson-ish skill monkey for the group.

In one of our missions were sent off to investigate an enemy base and figure out what s going on. Through out the mission with the help of our Heavy machine gun wielding NPC aptly named "Sarge" We manage to knock out the guards in a tower.

Our resident sniper decides to climb up and steal one of the uniforms and set them up like there ok. Including the naked guy O.o (he rolled a 1 on his disguise check *slap*).

Well to add to that, along the way we find a nuclear device to heavy to lift next to a large and I mean bunker large storage of "naquada" Think explosive steroids.

Well, command says to try and disable it. I have a massive demolitions/disable device check and give it a go.

After botching my roll ( a common occurence on this character) I miss the DC of 35 by 2. This including action points, aid others, and other bonuses. :smallsigh:

So bomb arms, we panic grab the other team, steal a starship, fly to the gate and leave with less than 30 secs left on the timer.

Results- Enemy base taken care off :P
Results- Continent obliterated... :smallsigh: Not going back there anytime soon.

Not to mention the time I threw a grenade with the same character, botched the attack roll, and watched as the GM rolled the location of the grenade, and see that it lands into a storage bunker of explosive material behind the enemies I was aiming at. O.o

Somehow the enemies made their reflex save to avoid the shock blast, and the falling debris...... Thankfully most of us only took minimal dmg.

As you can tell, my explosives demo character aint all that good with my hand of rolling.