PDA

View Full Version : Cleric of Banjo

Snowblind
2005-04-14, 01:12 PM
Does anybody have ideas to what domains Banjo is associated to?

Favored weapon?

Alignment?

What about Banjulhu?

???

Alexin
2005-04-14, 01:19 PM
Well, the favored weapon clearly has to be the Banjo, wielded 'El Kabong' style.

Domains? Hmm... Trickery, Music and Puppetry?

Alignment... Probably non-lawful, non-evil, but beyond that... Hmm...

Grey Watcher
2005-04-14, 01:25 PM
Well, given that Elan is Chaotic Good, Banjo would have to be Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, or Chaotic Neutral, or Elan would be unable to become a Cleric of Banjo, since he would violate the one-step rule for Cleric alignment vs. Deity alignment. Assuming we haven't run into a Rich Burlew OotS house-rule.

Snowblind
2005-04-14, 01:35 PM
Well, the favored weapon clearly has to be the Banjo, wielded 'El Kabong' style.

Domains? Hmm... Trickery, Music and Puppetry?

Alignment... Probably non-lawful, non-evil, but beyond that... Hmm...

Any idea of the spells lists for Music and Puppetry?

For Puppetry, I imagine Control Person/Monster, along with Hold Person/Monster spells.

Kish
2005-04-14, 01:41 PM
Well, given that Elan is Chaotic Good, Banjo would have to be Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, or Chaotic Neutral, or Elan would be unable to become a Cleric of Banjo, since he would violate the one-step rule for Cleric alignment vs. Deity alignment. Assuming we haven't run into a Rich Burlew OotS house-rule.
Banjo is probably Chaotic Good if you're a Reformed Banjoist and Chaotic Neutral if you're an Orthodox Banjoist.

chibibar
2005-04-14, 02:28 PM
I am having a weird image of "desperato" when playing with a banjo filled with throwing daggers inside it ;)

Drizzt_Fanboy_74
2005-04-14, 03:45 PM
Banjo is probably Chaotic Good if you're a Reformed Banjoist and Chaotic Neutral if you're an Orthodox Banjoist.

Well.....this is rather strange. I don't know how neutral Banjo can be if there are sacrifices to him. Demanding blood seems more evil than neutral. If you are Orthodox, Banjo is (I would say) evil, or at least very barely inside neutral range.

Kish
2005-04-14, 04:38 PM
Well.....this is rather strange. I don't know how neutral Banjo can be if there are sacrifices to him. Demanding blood seems more evil than neutral. If you are Orthodox, Banjo is (I would say) evil, or at least very barely inside neutral range.
The question is, is Elan a Reformed Banjoist himself? If he takes sides, Orthodox Banjo probably matches Belkar's alignment and is evil. If not, Orthodox Banjo must be capable of having CG worshipers.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-14, 05:24 PM
Banjo must obviously be CN, allowing him to be worshipped by Elan, Haley and Belkar and be of slight interest to V., but still be contrary to both Roy and Durkon.

The orthodox school is obviously evil and the reformed is the good branch.

Domains.. Chaos, Luck, Trickery.

Banjulhu is just the plain CN branch (although perhaps it should have Destruction domain as an additional option? ;))

Snowblind
2005-04-14, 06:05 PM
Banjo must obviously be CN, allowing him to be worshipped by Elan, Haley and Belkar and be of slight interest to V., but still be contrary to both Roy and Durkon.

The orthodox school is obviously evil and the reformed is the good branch.

Domains.. Chaos, Luck, Trickery.

Banjulhu is just the plain CN branch (although perhaps it should have Destruction domain as an additional option? ;))

Ha!

My players shall now face the terror that is a Cleric of Banjo!

I can see it now...he will return as a Cleric of Banjulhu!

;D

Qwernt
2005-04-14, 06:28 PM
For domain spells, it would seem any bard spell would work. There is probably a minimum required level of perform as a prereq...

Nikolai_II
2005-04-15, 02:17 AM
Ha!

My players shall now face the terror that is a Cleric of Banjo!

I can see it now...he will return as a Cleric of Banjulhu!

;D

Hmm.. you are right.. scratch that 'destruction' domain.. it must of course be "Death" domain for
"In his El'an in Na'le dead Banjuhlu lies dreaming"

And spiritual weapon is (as mentioned above) a club in the shape of a Banjo. (If you have the advanced FR version of magical weapon it will become a thundering club ;))

PokeTheBard
2005-04-15, 02:04 PM
I would have to agree that his favoured weapon would be "Improvised Weapon - Common Musical Instrument (Banjo)"

Allignment - Assuming Elan is Chaotic Neutral, then Banjo could also be Chaotic Neutral and be worshipped by Chaotic Good and Chaotic Evil (or am I mistaken by that rule?)

He would have Bard spells as Domain, since he is pretty much a bard-god-puppet, an entertainer and a musician.

Ciao

TrokTheHlfOrcDrgn
2005-04-15, 02:34 PM
most definetly CG and the domains are trickery,protection, and death.

The_Shadow
2005-04-15, 02:51 PM

Are you saying that most polytheistic religions that have ever existed, and some monotheistic ones, are evil? Like it or not, blood sacrifice (of animals) is a very common element worldwide.

But I agree that Banjo is Chaotic Neutral, and thus can in principle have both good and evil clerics.

(BTW, just how DID D&D hit upon the word "cleric" for divine spellcasters, anyway? It's an obscure, almost exclusively Catholic term. In medieval context, it can even sometimes mean just somebody who can read! I'd have thought that "priest" would be a much more neutral word.)

Omniplex
2005-04-15, 03:24 PM
I think Moslem clergy are also, and more frequently, referred to as cleric. They probably use creric to put some distance between D&D religion, and the religions it is based off, liek Christianity and greek mythology.

someone mentioned earlier that either banjo must be NG, CG or CN, or OOTS hase some house rule for clerics. a house rule for clerics might make since, as durkan is a lawful cleric of a chaotic deity.

Whamme
2005-04-15, 04:15 PM
I think Moslem clergy are also, and more frequently, referred to as cleric. They probably use creric to put some distance between D&D religion, and the religions it is based off, liek Christianity and greek mythology.

someone mentioned earlier that either banjo must be NG, CG or CN, or OOTS hase some house rule for clerics. a house rule for clerics might make since, as durkan is a lawful cleric of a chaotic deity.

Really? Id'a thought Thor was Neutral Good.

Nerd-o-rama
2005-04-15, 04:34 PM
Officially, Thor is CG. However, the gods and their alignments are presumably different in the Stick campaign world. I'm guessing Thor is NG, since I can't imagine him as lawful.

(By the way: WWTD is the greatest motto ever.

"...and drink an ocean's worth of beer! Huzzah!")

Anyway, ontopic, I'm pretty sure Banjo would be CN, allowing for both good and evil worshipers. Domains would include Knowledge, Luck, and Trickery (all traditional bardic traits) and maybe Destruction for Banjulhu.

Arian
2005-04-15, 08:55 PM
Allowing for both good and evil clerics.

Don't forget, an ordinary worshipper can follow a god of any alignment. The one-step rule only applies to clerics.

Nikolai_II
2005-04-16, 01:40 AM
I would have to agree that his favoured weapon would be "Improvised Weapon - Common Musical Instrument (Banjo)"

Allignment - Assuming Elan is Chaotic Neutral, then Banjo could also be Chaotic Neutral and be worshipped by Chaotic Good and Chaotic Evil (or am I mistaken by that rule?)

He would have Bard spells as Domain, since he is pretty much a bard-god-puppet, an entertainer and a musician.

Banjo becomes (IMO) either club or greatclub, just as Waukeens "Cloud of Coins" becomes a nunchuck when applied to the weapon-rules.

You are not mistaken by that rule (that only applies to clerics and FR characters IIRC)

Domains if using FR would probably by quite different:
Charm, Illusion, Repose, Trickery (and since FR deities usually has a glut of domains probably Chaos and possibly Luck as well)

edit: Cloud, not clod :P

Kish
2005-04-16, 02:02 AM
Assuming Elan is Chaotic Neutral,
But he's the Good twin, not the Neutral twin (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=69).

PokeTheBard
2005-04-16, 07:28 AM
... I don't get it.

Lol. Touché, I was wrong. Elan is Good. But that still allows for Banjo to be Chaotic Neutral. I mean, look at both Orthodox and Reformed Banjo lifestyles, there both "living for number one 'free spirit'" type lifestyles. (CN)

That and lets face it - worshippers: A Bard, a Ranger and a Rogue. Doesnt that tell you anything?

Ciao.

EricD
2005-04-16, 07:50 PM
Banjo/Banjulhu must be a dual-aspect deity, like Yondalla/Dallah Thaun. The Banjo aspect is CG; the Banjulhu aspect is CE, but many of his worshippers have been deceived and think he is CN. Those who primarily worship the Banjulhu aspect refer to themselves publically as "Orthodox Banjoists," while "Reformed Banjoists" rarely even know the Banjulhu aspect exists. Elan worships both aspects, making him CN - he only thinks he's CG.

SumGuy
2005-04-17, 01:45 PM
Lets also not forget that Elan is as dumb as a fruit fly, so he could indeed be mistaken about many of Banjo's different aspects.

ChEEsemuFFin
2005-04-17, 08:41 PM
Banjo:

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Domains: Luck, Trickery, Knowledge

Favored Weapon: Rapier*

Symbol: A banjo

Common Worshipers: people messed up in the head

*Although I liked the idea of having a banjo as his favored weapon, he really nedded a weapon weapon, so I went with Elan's weapon of choice (since he is the founder). Also the way you fight with a rapier often includes tricking the opponent or "pulling their strings". bad pun, i'll go hide in a dark corner now.

tamtam1991
2005-04-23, 12:10 AM
i disagree with you. i think a rappier is more of a classis and light fighting style. what bonjo needs is a mace, which is almost the same as the "bonjo" weapon

durandal
2005-04-25, 08:55 PM
Banjo:

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Domains: Luck, Trickery, Knowledge

Favored Weapon: Rapier*

Symbol: A banjo

Common Worshipers: people messed up in the head

*Although I liked the idea of having a banjo as his favored weapon, he really nedded a weapon weapon, so I went with Elan's weapon of choice (since he is the founder). Also the way you fight with a rapier often includes tricking the opponent or "pulling their strings". bad pun, i'll go hide in a dark corner now.

no, come to the light! i think you have pretty much got banjo there!

now, what of banjhulu? i myself am thinking Lawful Neutral...

EDIT: a quick... idea for a rough outline of the deity profile...

Banjhulu:

Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Domains: Trickery, Knowledge (im thinking illithid here, and i dont know if there is a psionic domain or not lol!!!)

Favored Weapon: TENTACLES!!! (i have absolutely no clue what to put here! what do illithids use?)

Symbol: umm... a crescent moon with a star in it! (i know its the symbol of Islam, but it is also featured in poetry (ryme of the ancient mariner, i believe) as a supernatural phenomenon... and its COOL!

common worshippers: peopel who think he/she is better than banjo XD

PerryTatchett
2007-04-10, 10:22 AM
I was wondering if you would get any special bonuses (such as the language Idiotessian?) from that worship?