PDA

View Full Version : Divine Archer

TheMeanDM
2008-01-24, 05:13 PM
Someone in a game I'm dm'ing asked to play a "Divine Soulbow". Soulbows seem like they could be quite nasty (stacking 3x +1 abilities onto the mind arrows they fire..yikes!).

I've never once ran into anyone that has played an Arcane Archer..for whatever reason. I think it has some interesting class features. There are some other classes that have interesting features as well.

So, without further a-do, I present to you my "Divine Archer of (insert god name)".

Divine Archer (of Uller, Apollo, Atremis, Solonor Thelandira, etc)

Hit Dice: d6
Requirements:
To qualify to become a Divine Archer, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus:
+6.
Feats:
Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Focus (longbow or shortbow)
Spells:
Ability to cast 2nd level divine spells.

Class Skills
The Divine Archer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Knowledge: Religion (Int). Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Use Rope (Dex)

Skill Points at Each Level:
4 + Int modifier.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
An Divine Archer is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields.

{table=head]Level | B.A.B. | Fort | Ref | Will | Special
1 | +1 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Aligned Arrows, Magic Arrows +1
2 | +2 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Keen Arrow, +1 Divine Casting Class
3 | +3 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Imbue Arrow, Bonus Feat, Turning/Rebuking Arrow
4 | +4 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Magic Arrows +2, +1 Divine Casting Class
5 | +5 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Extend Range +50%,
6 | +6 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Bonus Feat, +1 Divine Casting Class
7 | +7 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Magic Arrows +3, Horizon Shot
8 | +8 | +6 | +3 | +6 | +1 Divine Casting Class
9 | +9 | +6 | +3 | +6 | Enhanced Arrows
10 | +10 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Magic Arrow +4, +1 Divine Casting Class
[/table]

Aligned Arrows:
All arrows fired by the Divine Archer are aligned based off of the character's alignment. If the Archer is Good, her arrows are considered Good. If the Archer is Evil, her arrows are considered Evil. If the Archer is Lawful, her arrows are considered Lawful. If the Archer is Chaotic, her arrows are considered Chaotic. Example: a Lawful Good Divine Archer fires Lawful Good arrows.

Magic Arrow (Su):
At 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th level, every nonmagical arrow an arcane archer nocks and lets fly becomes magical, gaining a +1 enhancement bonus. Unlike magic weapons created by normal means, the archer need not spend experience points or gold pieces to accomplish this task. However, an archer’s magic arrows only function for him.

Keen Arrow (Su):
At 2nd level, any piercing projectile fired from the bow of a Divine Archer has it's threat range doubled. This effect doesn’t stack with any other effect that expands the threat range of a weapon.

Bonus Feat:
At 3rd and 6th levels, the Divine Archer gains a bonus feat from one of the following:
Rapid Shot, Manyshot, Shot On The Run, Improved Precise Shot, Deadeye Shot, Penetrating Shot, Plunging Shot, Ranged Weapon Mastery. You must meet the prerequisites of the bonus feat that you take.

Imbue Arrow (Sp):
At 3rd level, a Divine Archer gains the ability to place a Touch spell upon an arrow. When the arrow is fired, the spell is triggered on the victim with a successful hit. This ability allows the archer to use the bow’s range rather than the spell’s range. It takes a standard action to cast the spell and fire the arrow. The arrow must be fired in the round the spell is cast, or the spell is wasted. The arrow must also strike it's intended target, or the spell is wasted.

Turning/REbuking Arrow
At 3rd level, the Divine Archer may spend one of their daily Turn/Rebuke Undead attempts and imbue an arrow with this ability. The Turning/Rebuking Arrow function just like Turn/Rebuke Undead, except at the bow's range.

Divine Casting Class:
At 2nd leven, and every even level thereafter, the Divine Archer gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in any one Divine spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.
If the character was previously a class that gained divine spells every-other-level, they instead gain +2 caster levels.

Extend Range (Ex):
At 5th level, the Divine Archer has become so attuned to his bow, that he is able to push it to greater limits. The original range of his weapon increases by +50%. This only applies to longbows and shortbows, not to crossbows. This ability stacks with the Far Shot feat, but only the original weapon distance is multiplied and added.

Horizon Shot (Su):
From 7th level on, a Divine Archer can seemingly hit targets as far away as the horizon as easily as he can hit something nearby. As a full-round action, the Divine Archer can make a single attack with a projectile weapon. This attack is made with no penalty for range, though it still has the same maximum range as a normal attack by the Divine Archer. This ability can be used in conjunction with any ability that extends the range of a projectile weapon, such as the Far Shot feat.

Enhanced Arrows (Su):
At 9th level, a Divine Archer gains the ability to enhance the arrows fired from his bow. The maximum amount of enhancement the Divine Archer can gain is +2. To gain this Enhancement, the Divine Archer must leave open 1 spell slot that is equal to 2x the Enhancement Bonus. The Divine Archer cannot combine multiple Enhancements. They must pick +1 or +2 or for the day.

For example: if a Divine Archer wishes his arrows to be Holy for the day, he must surrender a 4th level spell slot. If the Divine Archer wishes to have his arrows be Bane vs. Undead for the day, he must surrender a 2nd level spell slot.

D Knight
2008-01-24, 07:38 PM
ok frist off i would like to say great job. But there are a few things i see wrong one for instant is you copy this straight from the book and u AA insted of DA. also have u done the math for Extend Range it take the bow almost out to 500 ft which is just fine but i do not see away to abuse this abilty as of right now. also in my opinion that this is still spose too still be a divine class so i wold add 3 more +1 to divine spellcasting in there. but that is just me thinking and working it in my head. so still great job and keep working you never know when you might make something and it gets published.

no i am not a publisher and AA stands for arcane archer, DA stands for Divine archer.

keyboardboy101
2008-01-24, 11:01 PM
While D Knight makes some good point, I personally like it. It does seem to need a little more of a divine spell-casting flavor though, but otherwise it is good. I like horizon shot, even though I guess it could be abused (i dont see how), it is extremely useful tactically to be able to hit a target at least 5 times before it gets to you (and with far shot, its godly).

Good job though, there definitely needed to be a new twist on the Divine archer

TheMeanDM
2008-01-25, 10:31 AM
Yes, it's similar to Arcane Archer. I wanted to make it distinct from it, however, because it's already a little used class, it seems, but I did want to pull some elements from it.

I didn't want to add too many +1 Divine Caster Levels, because then it could get pretty ugly pretty quick.

A 7th level Cleric, for example, could take this PRC at that point.

If I were to give the DA PRC a +1 Caster Level at every-other-level...hmm..I suppose it wouldn't be too bad..because they'd have to get 8 levels (or maybe even all 10, depending on progression) before they can cast 6th level cleric spells.

I'm thinking Harm, especially. Shooting out a Harm arrow could be pretty devastating.

After thinking some, though, I think I may revise that a bit...it's not as unbalancing as I had thought it might be, because you'd have an effective 17th level character.

I'm not sure where you guys are coming up with 500'.

Best Case Scenario:
Longbow = 100' distance.
+ 50% for Extended Range = 150
+50% for Far shot (150*1.5) = 225

That's still not as potent as the Deepwood Sniper (Masters of the Wild):

Range Increment Bonus (Ex):
With each level the deepwood sniper gains, the range increments of her
projectile weapons increase by +10 feet (added after all multipliers). Thus, a 10th-level deepwood sniper who has the Far Shot feat would have a 280-foot range increment with a heavy crossbow (120 feet x 1.5 + 100 feet).

However, the Divine Archer still needs to make the appropriate Spot check at a range of 450...and they do only get 1 shot off each round.

If 30' is the "average" speed of most things, and they can run up to 4x their distance per round, then that's 120' per round. So the Divine Archer could possibly get 4 attacks in before melee starts (if they win initiative the last round, if not, then they get 3).

Lochar
2008-01-25, 01:30 PM
For Aligned Arrow, I'd really suggest that you make it to where they can align an arrow to either of their own alignment or that of their dieties. IE: Neutral good cleric of Heironeous/Divine Archer can align the arrow to Good because he is, or Lawful or good because of his diety.

The way you have it written, a Divine Archer of Good Alignment can align his arrows evil if he wants.

TheMeanDM
2008-01-25, 01:42 PM
good call, I changed that.

Lochar
2008-01-25, 02:24 PM
Also, as an archer class, I would more think they would have Good Reflex and Poor Fort. I realize that coming from the divine classes they usually started with good fort and bad reflex, but I see reflex as more of a good save for archers than fort.

Weapon and Armor Proficencies:
Any reason your giving all simple and martial weapon proficiences? Since this is an archer class, I don't think they'd care about picking up a greatsword and swinging it around. And since you require PBS, Precise Shot, and Weapon focus, they should already be proficient in their bow.

Same with Armor. Coming from a divine caster class, they're already going to have most likely up to heavy armor proficency.

Skills:
Not quite certain why Use Rope is a skill for this class.

TheMeanDM
2008-01-25, 02:46 PM
The reason for the not so great reflex is a balance thing. Fighters and Clerics tend to have very good will and fort saves, not so good reflex. If you provide them a class with great reflex, then there is no "weakness" per se.

This is definitely more of a Fighter/Cleric or straight Cleric PRC, but it's certainly not limited to those classes.

A rogue/cleric could take this PRC too, and get the benefits of Fort/Will saves, but this would be at the expense of either Cleric levels or Rogue levels (and the associated sneak attack dice).

That's where the balance which offsets the good saves at that level comes in. A Cleric 3/Rogue 6 would have saves of 7/6/7. So by not advancing sneak attack (i.e. rogue levels), they are advancing better non-Reflex oriented saves.

Lochar
2008-01-25, 03:01 PM
Good point.

Anything to say about my other questions?

TheMeanDM
2008-01-25, 03:24 PM
Heh..nope..I hadn't thought about that.

I suppose it doesn't really make much sense to have all those.

Yakk
2008-01-25, 04:48 PM
Great idea and class!

If you are looking for them, it stirred up ideas in my head...

What if you had the Divine Archer burn spell slots for his special abilities as a base mechanic?

Alignment: At least one of Good, Evil, Lawful or Chaotic.

(This fixed the alignment problem).

Ie:
Aligned Archery: All arrows fired by the Divine Archer are aligned based off of the character's alignment. If the Archer is Good, her arrows are considered Good. If the Archer is Evil, her arrows are considered Evil. If the Archer is Lawful, her arrows are considered Lawful. If the Archer is Chaotic, her arrows are considered Chaotic.

(Have this happen at level 1 -- you are an archer of god, right?)

Blessed Arrow: As a move action, the Divine Archer can bless an arrow. This consumes a single spell slot of a level no higher than the Divine Archer class level.

Until the end of the Archers next round, the arrow gains a inspirational bonus to hit equal to the Archer's wisdom bonus, and +1d6 damage for every level of the spell consumed. At that point, the Arrow is consumed by the blessing.

(This is the basic "I burn spells to shoot holy arrows" trick, moved up as early as possible. Basically it lets you mix your "spellcasting" and "archery" sides as soon as possible...)

Divine Caster: At 2nd level and every even level afterwards, the Divine Archer gains 1 casting level in a previously gained Divine Casting class. If the Divine Casting class only gains 1 caster level every 2 levels (such as Ranger or Paladin), then the Divine Archer instead gains 2 casting levels in that class.

(On even levels (except the capstone), the class only gains the Divine Caster Level (well, and an increase on the cap of the level of spells consumed.)

Blessed Quiver: Starting at 2nd level, by consuming a single divine spell slot of a level no higher than half Divine Archer's class level, the Divine Archer can enhance up to 10 arrows or bolts per Divine Archer level with an enhancement bonus equal to the spell's level, as well as Aligning the arrows (see Aligned Archery). This Blessing takes 1 minute to perform and lasts 24 hours, or 1 round after the arrows leave the posession of the Divine Archer.

(Compared to Magic Weapon and Greater Magic Weapon, this spell usually comes out on top. Instead of the enhancement being free, the Divine Archer is forced to burn spell slots to use the ability.)

Imbued Arrow: Starting at level 3, when Blessing an Arrow, the Divine Archer can in addition consume a touch or ranged touch divine spell of a level no higher than the Divine Archer level. This spell takes effect on the target if the arrow hits the target without a further to-hit roll.

(Here is the "deliver spell" trick. Note that you have to Bless the Arrow and Imbue the Arrow. You can Bless the Arrow with a cantrip if you want....)

Eye of God: Starting at level 5, when Blessing an Arrow, the Divine Archer can in addition consume a spell of a level no higher than the Divine Archer's class level to hit targets further away. For every spell level of the additional spell consumed, the target is considered up to 20' closer.

(Rather than a flat +X%, I thought "reduce the range" -- has nice synergies. Note that at this point the Archer can burn three spells on every round...)

Improved Blessing: Starting at level 7, the Divine Archer may Bless an Arrow as an Immediate action. In addition, the Archer may imbue a ranged spell into the arrow, and have it go off centered on the target if the arrow hits. (If the arrow misses, the spell is wasted)

(This allows for full-attack and AoO imbued arrows. The "can stick a ranged spell on the arrow" is less good than one might think: you don't get a free ride on the touch-attack!)

Enhance Arrows: Starting at level 9, as written.

(I liked your Enhance Arrows -- in fact, that is what inspired this riff!)

Arrow of God: Starting at level 10, whenever the Divine Archer rolls a natural 20 with a Blessed Arrow, the Divine Archer may as a free action consume an additional touch, ranged touch, or ranged spell. This spell then goes off on the target or centered on the target.

The additional spell consumed may not exceed the Archer's charisma bonus in level.

(This is a capstone that can't be reliably used to alpha-strike. Being able to deliver 2 spells -- and what is better, the 2nd spell after you know that the arrow hits -- is rather nice.)

But that's just a riff on the same theme. Here, I concentrated on burning of spell slots to generate bonus arrow effects.

Why not simply strong Will, and leave Fortitude out of it? While it is a fighter/priest multiclass type class, it really doesn't concentrate on physical combat. I'd even think that dropping it to d6 HD might be justified. This also frees up more "power" to be used on the class's Archery. :)

Ie, full BaB, so you can actually hit things with the bow!

Magnor Criol
2008-01-25, 08:53 PM
A "Turning Arrow" that can effectively deliver Turn Undead attempts wherever it lands would be a interesting class feature, and logical considering the likely base class sources. The arrow would be fired, and wherever it hit, it would simply release a burst of positive (or negative) energy, which would be treated exactly as if, for that instant, you had been right there to fire off one of your Turn (or Rebuke) Undead attempts. It'd take the expending of one of your TU attempts per day, naturally.

An interesting class feature to consider would be something that lets them reduce the penalty they'd take for wearing heavy armor. Something along the lines of "Armor Training - through time spent training, the character has learned how to deal with the restrictiveness associated with weighty armor. Treat the maximum dexterity bonus of the armor as one higher for the purposes of determining attack rolls only. Thus, a full plate would have a maximum dexterity bonus of 2, not 1, but only when determining attack bonuses."

This means that they can more viably wear the heavy armor their previous classes gave them access to while being a bowman. The wording means they have to have a high enough Dex that they'd get the increased bonus to begin with; it's not a free +1 to Dex or anything.

I think a full BAB progression would be appropriate, especially if you do lower the HD. This class' main focus is using a bow in battle, meaning it's a war-focused class, something which suggests a full BAB.

All in all, I like it. It's a good adaptation of the AA.