PDA

View Full Version : A Question Of Monstrosity

Fax Celestis
2008-01-24, 05:41 PM
My players in my weekly arctic campaign (A Storm Is Coming) ran into a creature that I've not posted in the homebrew fora. They're trying to figure out what it is, and I thought that I'd present the problem to the forum as a whole.

The creature appears in a puff of black mist that coagulates into the shape of a pegasus. The creature's wings solidify and acquire black feathers, but the rest of the beast remains foggy and nigh-transparent. The creature's eyes blaze orange. Light in the area surrounding the beast dims considerably.

Creatures with natural telepathy in the vicinity of the beast find their telepathic powers temporarily shorted and might find their minds intruded. Creatures that are part of a hive-mind are severed from it, potentially killing any creatures ultimately dependent upon it for survival. Those that are not killed are either struck unconscious or enter a dream-state if they sleep and/or dream.

Teleportation effects near the beast fail. Physical attacks against it have no effect, passing through even the seemingly physical aspects of the creature. Attempts to dispel the creature fail. Energy damage is uncertain as to it's effects.

On its turn, the creature fires bursts of burning orange energy from its eyes that disintegrate targets that they kill. Psionically potent, highly telepathic, or hive-mind invested creatures (except those struck immediately dead) find black tendrils of shadow emitting from their brains and stretching towards the beast. Should the creature touch these tendrils, the creature dies. This effect appears to stem from the creature's brain ceasing to function, though it is uncertain as to whether this is the case. A magic circle against evil effect appears to block the advancement of the tendrils but not negate their existence.

What is known is that the creature hails from the Plane of Shadow and that it appears to feed on psionically active minds. The creature does not appear responsive to attacks or movement--it seems that it understands that such attacks cannot harm it, and any subsequent movement is immaterial.

Now, the question is, what is it, and how do they kill it?

Theli
2008-01-24, 05:44 PM
First instinct is to call it a nightmare.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-24, 05:51 PM
Nightmares, however, are physical and therefore strikable.

Blackadder
2008-01-24, 05:55 PM
Second thought, it's some OTHER pscionic creature, but everyone failed the illusion save throw.

Third thought, Have we tried setting it on fire yet? That works on quite allot of things.

Fourth thought:Ok if it is a Half Shadow/Half Bird/Half Horse/Half Illithid, which of thoses halves can we target to kill it? Hmm... Dismiss or other Outside banshing spell? If it's Shadow then it should not be native.

GimliFett
2008-01-24, 05:56 PM
I agree with Theli. Nightmare was my first instinct (and a better fit for the name, I might add). Shadow Creature (from Tome of Magic)-Ethereal Fiendish-Ghost Pegasus from the Plane of Dreams? :smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2008-01-24, 05:58 PM
No one's tried burninating/freezinating/electrinating it yet: it didn't stay long enough for that to happen.

Banishing could work. It is extraplanar.

And no, this is not a templated monstrosity. I'm saving that for my BBEG.

cupkeyk
2008-01-24, 06:00 PM
Name it?

Amalthea, the name of the goat that nursed Zeus as a baby and from whose head the cornucopia was plucked. It has since died but gained some manner of immortality from its former ward and now grazes of reality like its own personal pasture. Amoral but favored by the gods.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-24, 06:03 PM
Nah, it's called a 'makau'. The question is, "What is it, why is it here, and how do we kill it?"

Karsh
2008-01-24, 06:07 PM
Summon Undead IV, summon an Allip. Have the monster try to devour the Allip's consciousness. Watch as it explodes.

Worira
2008-01-24, 06:10 PM
It's an Authentic Hawaiian Fishhook Golem.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-24, 06:12 PM
It's an Authentic Hawaiian Fishhook Golem.

The original was "maka'u (http://wehewehe.org/gsdl2.5/cgi-bin/hdict?e=q-0hdict--00-0-0--010---4----den--0-000lpm--1haw-Zz-1---Zz-1-home-makau--00031-0000escapewin-00&a=q&d=D12348)" but I took out the apostrophe for simplicty.

Proven_Paradox
2008-01-24, 06:19 PM
I'd probably try all the usual suspects. Kill it with fire, look for some way to have a ghost touch weapon, and so on.

From its appearance, I would assume it's something evil and here to do something not nice to me. Since, y'know, in DnD, evil wears black and smoke.

TheLogman
2008-01-24, 06:32 PM
It is obviously intelligent to a degree, and is feeding off their minds, or at least blocking them. It may have been sent by a higher power, or may have been hungry. Possibly, the things it kills that are Psionically active are sucked into the creature. Their brain stops working, cause their thinkie-parts are gone.

Seems pretty tough to kill. It could have a secret weakness to a certain spell, Daylight seems like a good try. Force effects would also probably work. If they can Ethereal Jaunt, they can send someone in to the Ethereal plane to take it out.

Yami
2008-01-24, 06:54 PM
Aha! A trick question.

Now, the question is, what is it, and how do they kill it?

It is my new mount, and we do not kill it, we bind it. Huzzah!

Fax Celestis
2008-01-24, 06:58 PM
It is my new mount, and we do not kill it, we bind it. Huzzah!How does one ride something you cannot touch?

sikyon
2008-01-24, 07:01 PM
Party Level?

Also, I'm confused about the tendril part. So the tendrils leak out of your brain toward the beast, but if you touch those tendrils then you die? How can you not touch the tendrils? Wouldn't they be touching your forehead/ears/brain?

Anyhow, it's incoporeal. I suggest force cage. Tounges to talk to it, anything anti-incoporeal.

Spiritual weapon, bless weapon (maybe), forcecage, magic missile, etc.

sikyon
2008-01-24, 07:05 PM
How does one ride something you cannot touch?

Become incoporeal yourself!

Fax Celestis
Party Level? ECL 11, I think. Color me a DM that keeps poor track of his party's level.

Also, I'm confused about the tendril part. So the tendrils leak out of your brain toward the beast, but if you touch those tendrils then you die? How can you not touch the tendrils? Wouldn't they be touching your forehead/ears/brain?No, no. If the makau touches the tendrils, you die.

Anyhow, it's incoporeal. I suggest force cage. Tounges to talk to it, anything anti-incoporeal.

Spiritual weapon, bless weapon (maybe), forcecage, magic missile, etc.
The makau is capable of speech, after a fashion: it emanates a kind of nonverbal emotional/intellectual state to converse.

MandibleBones
It's fear itself. Cast remove fear on it until it fails its save.

Miles Invictus
2008-01-24, 08:51 PM
First thing I'd try would be Dismissal or Banishment.

Alleine
2008-01-24, 09:32 PM

Ghost touch pants.

dyslexicfaser
2008-01-24, 09:36 PM

Where there's a will - and with something like a cool mount, there certainly WILL be a will - the players will find a way. Usually the most complicated and fiendishly complex way possible.

Gig_Complex
2008-01-24, 09:44 PM
Well I'd go with this order to try and find out more about the creature, Force Cage, Planar Binding, Analyze Dweomer, Legend Lore, True Seeing, if it shows up to be Undead then Undeath to Death if not continue on, if an illusion locate true cause of the effect if not, hit it with an Antimagic Field.

Collin152
2008-01-24, 10:11 PM
This monstrosity is clearly the result of global warming.
How do we kill it? We need to drive an SUV into it.

I'd cast Vision about it.

kemmotar
2008-01-24, 10:31 PM
Dammit..my daylight idea was already taken...

Hmmm...how to kill it...send the barbarian in, it will try to eat his mind, will find none as the crazy,foaming human with a ginormous axe attacks it be disgusted by this poor creature's futile and incredibly stupid actions and in another exotic land variant commit seppuku or at least never bother the party again lest it be molested by the barbarian's non existent mind again...

Seriously though, a few questions, does it cast a shadow? It could be as perverse as what you see is actually it's shadow or projected image and the actual shadow is in fact the real thing...daylight, banishment...

Maybe if they can find how often this creature comes or what triggers it appearance, maybe it appears every thursday because it gets hungry for brains once a week so they can set it up....Maybe use an inward magic circle against evil thus forcing it not move and the shadow tendrils can no longer touch it...

Also the usual if nothing works fireball/set it on fire comes to mind...

Edit: also on the mount idea, after you use the magic circle against evil bind it into something like a magical saddle that makes it corporeal enough for you to die...just like the artificers in eberron made ships out of elementals:smallbiggrin:

Idea Man
2008-01-25, 12:54 AM
Fax, you have all the best monsters. :smallbiggrin:

As far as "What is it?", I'd need more information. It has a lot of specific traits, so narrowing down its pupose should be relatively easy. It's a shadow beast of psionic doom, nothing it has engaged can run magically/psionically, and it is not taking prisoners.

If it can be talked/negotiated with, they should. Anything with instant death effects built into it should be avoided.

How to fight it... hmm. Working on level 11 powers, what do we have? Banishment is surely worth a try, and spiritual hammer and magic missle are sure fire for incorporial enemies. The Bigby's hand spells could be useful for keeping it from the party, if they should actually have access to them. Searing light should be effective, too.

As a side note, mage armor for everyone.

Of course, you could fight shadow with shadow (evocation and conjuration). Positive thinking says stuff of the same type as your enemy should hurt him. Negative thinking says those spells might help it. :smallamused: Worth the gamble?

Voyager_I
2008-01-25, 02:25 AM
If it doesn't respond to movement, the obvious solution is running away...

...remember, you don't have to outrun the monster, you just have to outrun the Gnome (throwing the Gnome to the monster is also a valid option).

Icewalker
2008-01-25, 02:44 AM
Hmm...sounds like something my DM would come up with. He has sent a dragon swarm at us (full sized dragons...).

Interesting creature, probably with an interesting and unique way to defeat it: nothing simple. The easiest way to figure it out is to start doing divination stuff to ask questions about it. I don't know how many of those there are or how they work in 3rd edition, but there is stuff like Commune in 1st edition which lets you ask questions of the gods, perfect for solving this kind of situation.

Adumbration
2008-01-25, 03:23 AM
First cast Dimensional Anchor, so it can't get away. Then cast Magic Circle against Evil, focused inwards on it. Congratulations, you now have the bastard trapped, most likely. Draw the diagram for good effect and further dimensional anchor.

Collin152
2008-01-25, 05:13 PM
But, to draw the diagram, you'd need to get inside the circle with it. And that's just suicide.

AKA_Bait
2008-01-25, 05:27 PM
Ghost touch pants.

That... does not... sound right.

On a more serious note, what level are your players Fax?

Fax Celestis
2008-01-25, 05:35 PM
That... does not... sound right.

On a more serious note, what level are your players Fax?

ECL 11-ish.

Jannex
2008-01-25, 05:40 PM
My first impulse would be to experiment with Mind Blank... not based on any sort of mechanics, on a conceptual level, it seems like it might do something significant.

Karma Guard
2008-01-26, 02:45 AM
Looking at what I know about it, it looks like some sort of Psionic Nightmare Shadow. thingy. But Nightmares in D&D are very specific things.

It's called a maka'u, which means fear, but it doesn't seem to have any fear-based effects (besides being really scary.)

I don't know what it is, so I'd start slapping it with Divinations and a few Dispels if possible. Try to communicate, and if that doesn't work...

I'd try killing it with your basic elemental attempts and then sic-ing a non-intelligent creature on it with... there's a spell that hands out Ghost Touch, right? That. Try a Brilliant weapon, as well. That seems like a good idea.

Reinboom
2008-01-26, 02:59 AM
ECL 11-ish.

I'm ECL 10.

...wait... are we allowed to read this? :smallconfused:

Yami
2008-01-26, 03:23 AM
As I never play around with psyonics, I'm assuming the only threat to any of my characters it eye rays of doom. A high touch AC, or preferably some decent ray deflection should hold me in good stead. Barring that I would attempt to aproach the creature invisibled, and hope for the best.

Now, there is a chance that I'm reading the ability wrong, and my poor socrerer or what have you still gets his brain tendrils to leak out, but then a prot. evil spell solves that.

Chances are I run on the first encounter, probably after finding out if magic missle and other effects incorporeal spells effect it. I run all the way to the nearest person I know with craft wonderous item, and I get me a magic saddle. Probably something with some ghost touch.

From here on out its a battle of wills between my new mount and I. For one, I may need to always have a nice protection from evil up. Perhaps there's a DMM Persisting Cleric in the party, or perhaps I need to buy yet another magical item. I would consider it feasable to sell half my gear for these two things.

Once I'm mounted I should be pretty safe from the eye rays, unless it's horsey neck is stretchier than I thought. Should the beast give me problems, some gentle reminders via magic missle should help teach it it's place. I think the biggest problem would be my lack of ride or handle freak thought beast skills.

But yes, I would see this thing, and the ruin it visits upon my party, and I would do all I could to make it mine.

Brawls
2008-01-26, 03:40 AM
Is it a Gazeebo?

I know zilch about psionics, but that won't stop me from guessing it is a decoy and the real threat is a member of the party who can summon this shadowy illusion thingy!

Brawls

shaggz076
2008-01-26, 08:25 AM
By the description you gave I am thinking it must be incorpoeal and as such a ghost touch weapon should harm it as should any force effects. Baring that it is a gaseous creature which means that introducing a poison into its system would be extremely easy. Gust of Wind might discorporate it but to what effect I am not sure it would either be blown to oblivion or reform x rounds/minutes/hours/days later. Sonic is always a good choice as well.

Other than that I think the only solution would be to ward any psionically charged characters from it's death effects and hope it finds this meal too difficult.

BlackStaticWolf
2008-01-26, 10:21 AM
Summon Undead IV, summon an Allip. Have the monster try to devour the Allip's consciousness. Watch as it explodes.

Actually, I think that's a really good and creative idea.

My suggestions... seeing as this thing appears to feed on psionics, perhaps it'd be possible to turn the tables and drain it back. It probably wouldn't kill the thing, but it might at least reverse the black tendril effect. Psychic Vampire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicVampire.htm) or Power Leech (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/powerLeech.htm) might work. Though, for the first you'd need some sort of ghost touch effect as well.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-26, 11:41 AM
I'm ECL 10.

...wait... are we allowed to read this? :smallconfused:

Yes. You guys are having a hard enough time with it anyway. :smalltongue:

WhyBother
2008-01-26, 07:14 PM
Hmm... a fearsome presence that disrupts psionics, which you can't actually touch, but upon "touching" you (okay, the shadow...) kills you. I know this wrong, but my first thought upon reading it would be that some wizard was experimenting with a homebrew "Phatasmal Killer, Mass" spell, accompanied by a Null Psionic Field (with magic/psionic transparency not in effect) to make sure no one can turn it back on him with a helm of telepathy.

Again, not even a creature, and certainly not one from the Plane of Shadow, so not a valid guess, but that's the first thing that occured to me. Any idea what an Anti-Magic or Null Psionics Field would do to it?

Reinboom
2008-01-26, 07:37 PM
Well, hmm. A couple of guesses:
A new take on Living Spell (fear), or similar.

The truth behind "My Little Pony".

uh...

Y'know, out of everything considered, this makes it a wee bit embarrassing to no longer have magic missile.

Besides dispel magic, I don't think we've tried to actually target it with spells, though. I did Haste, Teleport (fail), Dispel Magic (fail), then I stripped and started trying to run off with the queen. :smallconfused:

Voyager_I
2008-01-26, 08:40 PM
...then I stripped and started trying to run off with the queen. :smallconfused:

That would have been my first reaction...

...depending on the scenario, could you possibly get XP from it for outrunning it?

Fax Celestis
2008-01-26, 08:43 PM
That would have been my first reaction...

...depending on the scenario, could you possibly get XP from it for outrunning it?

They never did actually leave the room it was in: it was blocking the door. However, they did get XP anyway for surviving the encounter. A well-placed magic circle against evil on the hivequeen prevented her untimely demise: her continued lifespan was a goal for which I awarded 1500 XP and set nightly awards at 150 XP.

Demented
2008-01-26, 09:06 PM
then I stripped and started trying to run off with the queen. :smallconfused:

*obligatory mention that doing so does not make you invisible*

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2008-01-26, 09:56 PM
By the description you gave I am thinking it must be incorpoeal and as such a ghost touch weapon should harm it as should any force effects. Baring that it is a gaseous creature which means that introducing a poison into its system would be extremely easy. Gust of Wind might discorporate it but to what effect I am not sure it would either be blown to oblivion or reform x rounds/minutes/hours/days later. Sonic is always a good choice as well.

Other than that I think the only solution would be to ward any psionically charged characters from it's death effects and hope it finds this meal too difficult.

Incorporeal creatures are only inherently immune to non-magic weapons; this creature is immune to magic weapons as well- and no miss chance was rolled, so I'm betting it's not just that they missed, it's outright immune.

Darkbane
2008-01-26, 11:10 PM
I think the most creative solution so far was to have the maka'u blow itself up by eating an allip.

But for ways to defeat it, Banishment/Dismissal and various Force effects sound like a good bet. Failing that, lure it out into the sunshine and hope it shrivels up, or Dimensional Anchor it (and maybe try hitting it again).

Reinboom
2008-01-26, 11:19 PM
I think the most creative solution so far was to have the maka'u blow itself up by eating an allip.

But for ways to defeat it, Banishment/Dismissal and various Force effects sound like a good bet. Failing that, lure it out into the sunshine and hope it shrivels up, or Dimensional Anchor it (and maybe try hitting it again).

That.. would be mildly unnerving, yet, neat if 'Light' hurts it...

Triaxx
2008-01-27, 06:40 AM
My initial reaction is as follows: Wave a ten foot pole through it. If the pole passes through harmlessly, open fire with magic missile.

(My sorceror usually takes a homebrew called Focused Arcane, allowing him to ban a school in exchange for a level's worth of infinite casting. So, ban illusion, and gain infinite casting of level one spells.)

Prometheus
2008-01-27, 09:21 PM
Cast mind-affecting spells on it. If it appears immune, instead try casting it on the nearest telepath and affect it indirectly.

Try turning it, its worth a shot.

Use a mirror to try to reflect its eye lasers back at it. Actually that only works in video games. nevermind.

Death Ward is a must. What motive does it have to be there if it can't feast on your brain?

Quellian-dyrae
2008-01-28, 02:49 AM
Hmm...it's not likely ethereal, since it comes from the Plane of Shadows. A Shadow Walk spell may allow the characters to fight it directly. What I'm thinking is some sort of direct manifestation of fear, not entirely unlike the mass phantasmal killer that was mentioned earlier. More specifically, a phantasmal killer like effect that is actually brought into reality by the energy of particularly powerful minds. A living phantasm in essence, a creature of imagination brought into being through a powerful mental force, that requires great mental energy to sustain itself.

Trying energy attacks would certainly be worth it, just because ya never know. I'd also suggest Illusion (Shadow) spells. It may well be that the shadowstuff that infuses those spells can affect the creature.

Now, since this seems to be a fairly major encounter, metagaming suggests that it is at least plausible that fighting types might be given something to do. Therefore, I would suggest making a conscious effort to believe it as an illusion, possibly taking a standard action to choose to fail your Will save to disbelieve. It's pretty convoluted, but hey, what else are you going to do except for total defend?

Xuincherguixe
2008-01-28, 02:58 AM
I would say figure out what, if anything can hurt it.

If it's a creature of mist, lightning seems like a good bet. But it's D&D so things don't necessarily make sense.

Next I'd try force damage.

Then sound.

If that didn't work, maybe try and hit it with some kind of healing spell, if it could be done at a distance. Maybe it's undead, or some kind of negative energy being.

If that doesn't work? Try negative energy?

If all that doesn't work, chances are it's powered by all the hate in the Universe. Try to summon a therapist, to try and resolve it's many issues. While you run, hoping that if things don't work out so well it'll devour the therapists mind instead of yours.

lord_khaine
2008-01-28, 05:52 AM
i would start taking a good look at it with true seing, you newer know what that might reveal.

after that i would try and jump into the etheral plane, since i suspect the reason attacks wont affect it is that its attacking from another plane.

CasESenSITItiVE
2008-01-28, 01:37 PM
will we know what happened in the end? i would love to know how it this whole thing turned out

Fax Celestis
2008-01-28, 01:46 PM
will we know what happened in the end? i would love to know how it this whole thing turned out

Won't know until Wednesday, m'fraid.

CasESenSITItiVE
2008-01-28, 01:47 PM
as for killing it, my best suggestion would be searing light.

also, i'm sure they could find out more about it with legend lore

Hecore
2008-01-28, 06:26 PM
Since the spell itself hasn't been mentioned I'd try Daylight. Cast it on a stone or something and throw it right underneath the creature. I would guess the creature generates Darkness as per the spell - Daylight would counter it and hopefully the creature takes penalties in bright light. Regardless, it seems worth giving up one third level spell slot to try it out.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2008-01-28, 06:46 PM
Celerity+Forcecage+Cloudkill.

That always works, right?

>.>

<.<

kemmotar
2008-01-28, 07:20 PM
well...one suggestion would be that if light doesn't kill it it might repel it...Thus you can abuse Saph's rule and make it so You always have a daylight spell around...you can then keep the monster at bay while you research it, the queen stays alive since the beast can't attacj and you get 150xp per night:smalltongue:

as suggested maybe true seeing will help, or if you don't have arcane sight? also look at it from further away if it has a field that nulls magic...or maybe cast antimagic field somewhere near...it might either repel it or make it so you can hit it...maybe when it's near try going into the plane of shadow, since you can't hit it and it's probably from the plane of shadow, since it's on top of the material pla ne(i don't remember the term, was it conterminate or something to the effect), go there and you might find it's true body...

Just out of curiosity? How did they survive the first encounter with it? If they can't hit it and it has laser beams and instant death stuff i'd think that it would be probably impossible to escape it...also how many days have passed since they escaped and has it appeared again? Either in front of the PCs or elsewhere?have they done any research on it? Did they get knowledge the planes/religion/arcana or spellcraft checks?

Reinboom
2008-01-28, 07:32 PM
We are still on the same day, iirc.
We can't spend a lot of time since... we also have a schedule to keep.
There has been a lot of knowledge rolls to try to figure out wth this thing is.
The first encounter was survived by us preventing the thing from eating. It just left. And for some reason, never bothered the party.
Nobody has AMF.
I don't have true seeing, not sure if the favored soul does or not.
I don't have arcane sight.
We don't have access to plane shift.
It's only appeared twice that we are aware of. Once previous to this encounter (and killed the last queen), and this encounter to kill this queen.

CasESenSITItiVE
2008-01-28, 10:47 PM
what if instead of defeating it in combat, you guys just find a way to keep it there, and have it starve? it seems to have left because you stopped it from eating, it's possible it went elsewhere for sustinence

Triaxx
2008-01-29, 06:33 AM
Perhaps a fighter with Mind Blank could get close enough to hit it. At least I've always ruled that Mind Blank makes the character mindless for it's duration.

Kioran
2008-01-29, 09:14 AM
Since itīs Psionic, and "feeds on minds", wouldnīt hitting it with rays of Stupidity or Ego Whipping it really hurt? I assume these spells are available (since Fax seems to be a proponent of much available content). Thatīs just a wild guess though......

Reinboom
2008-01-29, 09:19 AM
We no longer have a psion, and I ban myself from taking certain spells.
Ray of Stupidity being one of them.

Taliesan
2008-01-29, 09:37 AM
Roll up a perverted half-orc who has never gotten laid to replace the psion.

Make the half-orc wear a fox suit as his armour of choice.

Ensure that the party finds japanese (Or this setting's equivelant) cartoon porn in and amongst his belongings.

Then have the player give the half-orc a smutty grin whenever anyone mentions tentacles.

The monster doesn't stand a chance.

Burley
2008-01-29, 11:19 AM
Okay... okay... okay follow me on this one. This thing is a psionic representatin/manifestation of fear. And, okay...follow...on the spectrum of emotion we have Fear and Love. The opposite of Fear is Love. So, think happy thoughts, and hug the thing.

"I'M NOT AFRAID ANYMORE!"

(Donnie Darko is a meta-psycic/meta-physic explanation-athon.)

Kioran
2008-01-29, 05:30 PM
We no longer have a psion, and I ban myself from taking certain spells.
Ray of Stupidity being one of them.

You might have a problem there. But I still think screwing with itīs mind or basic tenets is the way to go if you canīt blast it. Think golem. Perhaps remove Fear, or even better, remove curse? Something that "frees" the makaīuīs last few "lunches"?

Waffles
2008-02-14, 08:23 AM
I had to register here just to ask what ever happened with this.

Update, plaux?

Reinboom
2008-02-14, 08:40 AM
A caste of the creatures we are trying to protect has arranged us a way to shift to the plane of shadows to hunt the Makau.

We are currently exploring, and we just killed this strange shadow ooze thing there that was radiating cold...

Not much else yet.

MorkaisChosen
2008-02-14, 08:43 AM
Plane of Shadow is bleached and colourless. Prismatic Ray?

PersonofJid
2008-02-14, 01:25 PM
Quick question: Is this monster one made up by the DM or is it in books somewhere? My first thoughts went to it being a Thought Slayer or a Thought Eater, but from what I remember of those they don't have a resemblence to a pegasus.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-14, 01:30 PM
Quick question: Is this monster one made up by the DM or is it in books somewhere? My first thoughts went to it being a Thought Slayer or a Thought Eater, but from what I remember of those they don't have a resemblence to a pegasus.

It is not in a book.

Prometheus
2008-02-14, 04:29 PM
Yeah, with this being Fax Celestis, I don't think it would be a book...

If the confrontation with it isn't immediate, though, it sounds like this is a long-term nemesis. Or at least, antagonist.

horseboy
2008-02-14, 05:52 PM
Okay... okay... okay follow me on this one. This thing is a psionic representatin/manifestation of fear. And, okay...follow...on the spectrum of emotion we have Fear and Love. The opposite of Fear is Love. So, think happy thoughts, and hug the thing.

"I'M NOT AFRAID ANYMORE!"

(Donnie Darko is a meta-psycic/meta-physic explanation-athon.)
That or milk, ala Ernest Scared Stupid.
I vote it's an illusion. I'd go with the active disbelief.

Severus
2008-02-14, 08:10 PM
Feeblemind.