PDA

View Full Version : Slayer of the Dead (Pretige Class)

SoD
2008-01-25, 03:38 AM
My first attempt at homebrewing, the idea just came (I know it's quite an unoriginal thing, what does it do? Kills undead) and I created it in about half an hour or so. What do we think? Balanced? Unbalanced? Uber? Weak? Worth it?

HD-d10
Requirements-turn undead class feature. Undead as a favoured enemy. Knowlege (religion) 8 ranks. Cannot be undead.

Class skills-concentration (con), craft (int), gather information (cha), heal (wis), hide (dex), knowlege (arcana) (int), knowlege (dungeoneering) (int), knowlege (religion) (int), listen (wis), move silently (dex), spot (wis), survival (wis).
Skill points per level-4+int modifier.

Slayer of the Dead
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|turn undead, detect undead|-

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|well read, bless water|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|smite undead 1/day|-

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4||+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Favoured enemy-unedad +2|-

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5|Smite undead 2/day|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5|Necropotent|-

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6||+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6|Smite undead 3/day|-

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7|Favoured enemy-undead +4, Power of the Sun|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class [/table]

Weapon/Armour proficiencies-a Slayer of the Dead receives no extra proficiencies with weapons or armour.

Spells per day-at every second level in Slayer of the Dead, a Slayer of the Dead receives extra spells per day as if she had risen a level in an existing divine spellcasting class (usually cleric, paladin, or ranger). If she can cast divine spells from multiple classes, she can choose which class she gains extra spells per day for. If she has levels in an arcan casting class, she receives no bonus. The bonus received adds to spells per day/spells received/spells known/whatever, but not to extra bonuses, such as extra smite evil, or increased turning capabilities (however, these levels stack to determine turning undead anyway).

Turn Undead-as the cleric/paladin class feature-this class stacks with cleric and/or paladin level to determine caster level checks for turning undead and for turning attempts per day.

Detect undead At will, as a spell like ability.

Well read-a Slayer of the Dead adds her favoured enemy (undead) bonus to knowlege (religion) checks to identify undead and work out their weaknesses. She also adds this bonus to survival checks to track undead, and, if she has urban tracking, to her gather information checks to track undead. If she is tracking an undead but isn't aware of it (doesn't know the runaway prisoner is actually a vampire) she doesn't receive the bonus. Also, if she beleives she is tracking undead, but actually isn't, she receives no bonus.

Bless Water-as a spell like ability equal to her class level times/day.

Smite undead-Once per day, a Slayer of the Dead may attempt to smite an undead creature with a normal attack. She adds her charisma bonus (if any) to her attack roll, and her class level to damage. For example: a ranger 1/paladin 7/Slayer of the Dead 7 with a charisma of 18 weilding a longsword would add +4 to her attack roll and would deal 7 extra damage on a sucessful hit. A Slayer of the Dead can use this ability twice at 3rd level, and 3 times at ninth level.

Favoured enemy-undead +2. This bonus works exactly like the ranger class feature, except it only applies to undead and stacks with any bonuses the Slayer of the Dead may have from other classes. This bonus rises to +4 at tenth level. If a Slayer of the Dead has the ranged smite feat, it also applies to smite undead.

Necropotent*-at seventh level, a Slayer of the Dead receives Necropotent as a bonus feat, even if she doesn't meet the prerequisites.

Power of the Sun-as the cleric Sun Domain power. Once per day, in replacement of a regular turning attempt, a Slayer of the Dead can instead make a strong turning attempt. Any undead that would ordinarily be turned are destroyed instead.

*Necropotent-Libris Mortis p29 (extra four damage against undead with chosen weapon).

merrja666
2008-01-25, 04:40 AM
So it needs to be either a Ranger 1/Paladin 4 or Ranger/Cleric? And, anyway, a Cleric would get the Sun Domain Power (Greater turn undead) at ECL 1. So if you had a Ranger/Cleric, your Level 10 power would be useless, which kind of means that getting to the end is pretty useless.

Smite Undead is in the Hunter of the Dead Prestige class, and getting Bless Water and Well Read isn't that good. A Cleric would have them anyway.

Turn Undead is OK.. but you say that they stack to determine how many you get? This is an Undead-based PrC! Give them more, for God's sake!

Favoured Enemy - just make it like the Ranger's one, so they can choose another type or just beef theirs up. It doesn't allow much leeway.

ErrantX
2008-01-25, 03:43 PM
A couple ideas that I would add to make this a unique enough class and a potent enough class that would be worth taking. As this is an undead slayer class, I will disagree with merrja666 that you should change the favored enemy progression. Just undead is fine, that's what this class is about, right?

Another thing is, I'd allow the bonus from Favored Enemy (Undead) to enhance your turn check, so if you have a +4 bonus, you add that to your d20 roll for your turning roll. Maybe put that into Well Read or something.

Perhaps for your two dead levels and to replace your top tier ability (because merrja666 was right about that, unless you're giving people another greater turn if they already have the Sun Domain), grant a bonus feat from this list (since you're using Libris Mortis, I'll draw them from it): Enduring Life, Lasting Light, Ghost-Scarred, Heighten Turning, Quicken Turning, Unquenchable Flame of Life, Vampire Hunter, Divine Accuracy, Sacred Vengeance, Sacred Vitality, Spurn Death's Touch, and of course, Extra Turning. A fine mix of undead hunting feats, 2-3 of this list for bonus feats would be good. Maybe require one or two of these also as a prerequisite to get in wouldn't be bad either.

Any or all of these suggestions would go a long way to shore up your class and make it a viable character option, in my opinion. Happy homebrewing!

-X

merrja666
2008-01-25, 04:57 PM
Personally, I would have a Postitive Energy Aura for the top tier ability (I think it is from the ye olde BoeD, and is always usefull) with a 15" radius, and doing 1d10+ turn check modifier + fav emeny + smite healing/round.

...meh, that's just me

Half-blood
2008-01-25, 05:05 PM
isn't there a HUNTER of the dead in complete warrior? yes, there is.