PDA

View Full Version : Help me Break the "Break DC"

Decoy69
2008-01-25, 09:02 AM
Howdy doo everyone,

I'd like your help to make a character that "Breaks" the Break DCs of things. :)

I'm talking about someone that can knock down doors and walls without breaking a sweat, but without using too much cheese.

Books allowed
Core series
Complete series
Possibly others (depends on the book)

Approx ECL 10
Try to stick as core as possible.
Try not to go over LA +2 please.
try to be useful at other things, (eg. Melee)
I'd prefer to use unarmed strikes.

What I have in mind...
Half Ogre (LA +1)
Brb1/Clr (Kord) 8

Feats
Destructive Rage
Extra Rage
Extend Rage

Anything else to make my Str checks to break things higher.

Cheers, Decoy.

Grug
2008-01-25, 09:05 AM
I know Monks get Unarmed strike and Adamatium Fist, which allows you to ignore most hardness. But if you want pure breaking, I remember reading a feat somewhere that gave you +8 to break checks.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-25, 09:09 AM
Two feats come to mind:

Lucky Break from Complete Scoundrel allows you to reroll your STR check once per day.

Wall Breaker from Dragon #285 allows you to ignore 5 points of hardness.

Neither of these are really good though....

Decoy69
2008-01-25, 09:25 AM
The +8 to break Checks thingo is "Destructive Rage" from Complete Warrior.

I was thinking about a Feral (Savage Species) templated Frenzied Berzerker.
But my DM would never allow it. hehehe.

Iku Rex
2008-01-25, 09:38 AM
The Dungeon Crasher alternate fighter class feature (replaces bonus feat level 2 and 6) from Dungeonscape is a must-have. Among other things you'll get a +10 on the check to break stuff.

The belt of the champion relic (MIC) provides a +5 competence bonus on all Str checks if you have the True Believer (MIC, CDiv) feat.

Armbands of might (CAdv, MIC) provide a +2 bonus on Str checks.

Other items, like the eagle claw talisman (MIC), torc of the titans (MIC) or brute gauntlets (MIC) can give you short bursts of power.

Half-ogre (LA +2 - see Races of Destiny) isn't a bad race choice. If you really want to pump up the Str, go for the War Hulk (MinH) prc. The Warforged Juggernaut (ECS) prc gets a bonus equal to class level when breaking down doors.

Also, the enlarge person spell (if you're humanoid) or the expansion power can increase your size, which often helps.

Dark Tira
2008-01-25, 09:45 AM
The Mauling Gauntlets soulmeld gives +2 to strength checks increased by 2 for each point of essentia. Even if you don't gain any essentia normally you can use an essentia helm to maximize it 3/day.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-25, 09:56 AM
Wall Breaker from Dragon #285 allows you to ignore 5 points of hardness.
Breaking via break DC just smashes things. Object hp and hardness don't factor in.

Charity
2008-01-25, 10:03 AM
There is a ToB stance that give a bonus to Str checks, I can't remember which one and I have no books with me, but there is bound to be a juicy manouver or two in there as well... I'll check when I get home.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-25, 10:19 AM
Breaking via break DC just smashes things. Object hp and hardness don't factor in.

I know, but I fought I would include it, since I found it to be slightly related.

And also:

If an item has lost half or more of its hit points, the DC to break it drops by 2.

:smallamused:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-25, 10:25 AM
I know, but I fought I would include it, since I found it to be slightly related.
Fair enough.

And also:

If an item has lost half or more of its hit points, the DC to break it drops by 2.

:smallamused:
Ooh! Good catch.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-25, 10:28 AM
Fair enough.

I should have made a note of it.

ChaosDefender24
2008-01-25, 12:21 PM
This definitely isn't core or anything, but if you bind Aym (Tome of Magic), you deal double damage to objects.

Draz74
2008-01-25, 12:24 PM
A party member (including you) who dips a level in Marshal can get the Motivate Strength aura to add his Charisma bonus to your break attempts.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-25, 12:27 PM
Reckless Rage from Races of Stone gives you an extra +4 Str, +4 Con, -2 AC when raging. Upping the Str score is always a good method of breaking things.

Dhavaer
2008-01-25, 04:28 PM
There is a ToB stance that give a bonus to Str checks, I can't remember which one and I have no books with me, but there is bound to be a juicy manouver or two in there as well... I'll check when I get home.

Stone power.

Craig1f
2008-01-25, 06:45 PM
Reckless Rage from Races of Stone gives you an extra +4 Str, +4 Con, -2 AC when raging. Upping the Str score is always a good method of breaking things.

It's actually +2 Str, +2 con, -2 ac. Your AC will be in the gutter with this feat, but it's probably worth it.

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-25, 07:47 PM
I'm fond of clerics with the strength domain.

Granted Power
You can perform a feat of strength as a supernatural ability. You gain an enhancement bonus to Strength equal to your cleric level. Activating the power is a free action, the power lasts 1 round, and it is usable once per day.

Sure it's only 1/day... but still

Fuzzy_Juan
2008-01-25, 08:22 PM
if you sweet talk your DM...it might be possible that knowledge in engineering or stonework, or whatever might give you a circumstance bonus to break certian objects. If you familiar with the ins and outs of certian objects, it is likely you know where they are weakest.

Standard is +2 bonus for 5 ranks or more.

Decoy69
2008-01-26, 07:57 AM
Wow, i leave a thread for a day and it explodes!

Iku Rex, the "Dungeon Crasher" looks PERFECT! Thanks.

Hrm, Half Ogre in RoD is LA +2, yet in SS it is only +1.
I'll leave that alone for now and maybe use an Orc.

Thanks all, You've helped me immensely.

Farmer42
2008-01-26, 08:11 AM
Go with the RoD block for the Half-Ogre. IIRC it's the most recent publishing, especially considering SS is 3.0.

Charity
2008-01-26, 11:43 AM
Stone power.

Dhav I'm shocked.

Stone power is the feat that gives you temp hp's you were... incorrect.

Stonefoot stance gives you +2 on str checks.
Mountain hammer allows you to ignore DR and hardness (and +2d6 damage)
Stone dragon fury - +4d6 vs objects/constucts
Elder mountain hammer + 6d6 and ignore DR and hardness
ancient mountain hammer +12d6 ignore DR and hardness