PDA

View Full Version : Well that was funny

Guinea Anubis
2008-01-25, 11:11 AM
I have been DMing Deadlands Reloaded for my friends. We just had one of the funnest things happen last night and I just had to share it. The posse got hired to take care of a Hummbug infestation. Now Hummbugs are kinda like Cicadas from hell, they can keep a 5 mile area awake with there humming and shater any glass with in 10 feet. Hummbugs also can do a small AOE sonic attack when in danger.

Now the one guy is playing a character that is an alcoholic. When trying to pin point where the bug was, he got with in 10 feet, Well needless to say the bottle of Alc he had on him shaters. This pisses him off since he just picked it up and it was a bottle of the good stuff. So he goes for over kill and puts a stick of TNT in the tree the has the bug in it, but somehow the Hummbug lived.

So he makes up his mind just to step on the stupid bug... and misses. Well at this point the Hummbug is doing its AOE sonic attack and he starts to bleed from the ears.

So he pulls out his saber to stabe the bug.... and misses. He now takes a wound from the Hummbugs sonic attack.

Getting REALLY pissed off he pulls out his double barrel shotgun and unloads both barrels at the bug... hits the hummbug! But rolls low on damage. I use one of the DMs fate chips to make a soke roll, and soke up all the damge so the Hummbug lives with no damage. He is still bleeding from the ears but makes the save so he does not take another wound.

Well this was the last straw for him so he backs off and pulls out another stick of TNT lights it and tosses it at the Hummbug...and misses! So he uses one of his fate chips to re-roll ... and misses again! So he uses anouther fate chip to re-roll ... and hits... rolls damage... and after a long battle the Cicada sized Hummbug dies.

Crimson Avenger
2008-01-25, 11:23 AM
Damn...this is a perfect example of what I've always believed. If you provide a well thought out, beautifully crafted, challenging encounter the PC's will breeze through it in less than one round. If, however, the PC's run into an underpowered, meaningless random encounter, half of the PC's will be unconcious and the rest considering running before the last kobold hits the floor.

I've seen it soooooooo often.

Guinea Anubis
2008-01-28, 06:54 AM
You are 100% right about that.

kjones
2008-01-28, 11:33 AM
Second, on both counts. My party once destroyed a party of evil NPCs, of higher level, in two rounds... this same party was brought to its knees by a random encounter with a wyvern. (Who critted with his stinger, twice, and dealt 10 points of Con damage the first time and 11 points the second time.)

loves_to_laugh
2008-01-28, 11:55 AM
This is a classic blunder!

I actually died because our party went up against 1 kobold. We survived an entire trap dungeon only to be met with a kobold. One thing lead to another and eventually my death.

It's one of those things that just seem to always get people. They tend to over think things. And I am one of those people...:smallredface:

shaggz076
2008-01-28, 06:20 PM
I remember having a similar thing happen. We were playing Gurps and I happened to be the strongest and toughest character in the party. While going through a dungeon we got attacked by an animated rope and I eneded up dying from it. Sad really that the game mechanics were so poor that a rope can kill the parties meat shield.