PDA

View Full Version : Glove of Benign Transposition

Stabby
2008-01-25, 01:18 PM
Ok, so I was thinking that for my chess playing battle field control wizard, I could make a glove of Benign Transposition as a wonderous item, but Im not sure if Im figuring this right.

According to the rule

spell level x caster level x 1800gp as a command activated wonderous item

so 1 x 1 x 1800 gp or 1800 gp market cost

So if I made it, it would be 1800 / 2 = 900 gp and
1800 / 25 = 72 xp

That seems too easy so I figured I'd turn to you fine gamers.

Thoughts, comments, ideas? Feel free to offer ideas or tear this to threads if you wish.

Shishnarfne
2008-01-25, 01:33 PM
Well, the math looks reasonable... I presume this is a 1/day use magic item?

Of course, being able to reduce the time to a swift action would cost a fair bit more, but could be quite useful (e.g. two melee combatants in party, one charger, and one full attacker: charger acts first, charges, then item is activated to put full attacker in the front line. In the next round, the charger can charge again. This would make both fight more effectively...).

Really, I didn't have a lot to add other than to applaud you for a chess-playing battlefield control wizard...

I've used an NPC chess-playing diviner on a few occaisions...

Burley
2008-01-25, 01:42 PM
Well, if you think the cost is too low, just use a different spell. Baneful (or is it Baleful) Transposition does the same thing, effectively, but also lets you switch enemies around.
In my last session, while sneaking into the headquarters of a slaving ring, our sorcerer used it to switch my warlock with one of the two guards at the the entrance. Our druid was waiting as a dire lion, and my warlock was ready with hit Eldritch Glaive. Heh heh...that was awesome.:smallamused:

Duke of URL
2008-01-25, 01:44 PM
The cost looks right.. and should yield 5 uses per day, as a standard action.

There's no written guideline for reducing it to a swift action, as suggested above. I'd at least double it.

Draz74
2008-01-25, 02:10 PM
The cost looks right.. and should yield 5 uses per day, as a standard action.

There's no written guideline for reducing it to a swift action, as suggested above. I'd at least double it.

I'd more than double it. x5 at least for a swift action IMHO.

On the other hand, if you're OK with it being a standard action, but you want unlimited uses/day rather than 5, the guidelines are unfortunately even less explicit than usual. (They seem to just assume you won't want it more than 5/day.) If the Ring of Invisibility is anything to use as a guide, however, it would suggest you multiply the cost by about 1.85 for unlimited/day uses. Let's say double just to be safe.

Infinite (as a standard action) Benign Transpositions (CL 1, which might annoy you with its limited range) for 3600 gp. Not bad, a nice cheap little utility item without probably being broken.

Telonius
2008-01-25, 02:11 PM
I can't find any guidelines for Swift Action-activated items, either. Personally I'd treat it as though you were casting a Quickened version of the base spell (+4 caster level).

wormwood
2008-01-25, 02:12 PM
The cost for 5/day and unlimited is the same... why on earth would you limit it?

Also, if you want it a swift action I'd do more than double it, I'd make it 45 x base cost. A swift spell is essentially Quickened. Quicken adds 4 to the spell level. That would give you 5 (spell level) X 9 (caster level) x 1800 (unlimited use) for a total cost of 81,000 gp.

Those are my thoughts on it, for what they're worth.