PDA

View Full Version : Do Steadfast Boots Give AoO?

JiveTurkey
2008-01-25, 02:20 PM
Okay, so the Steadfast Boots say the following:

"As long as you carry a two-handed weapon you are treated as if you had readied that weapon against any creature that charges you (and thus it deals double damage if your attack is successful), even if the weapon can't normally be set against a charge"

Do you interpret this as granting the wearer an Attack of Opportunity against a charging creature? Or that they get an attack against the charging creature but it is not specifically an Attack of Opportunity?

The way it reads it certainly seems like you don't have to spend an action to ready the weapon, so I would think you'd get an AoO.

SadisticFishing
2008-01-25, 03:31 PM
Definately not an AoO, it's a readied attack. Sounds like a good item O_O

Crimson Avenger
2008-01-25, 03:36 PM
It is a readied action, that's what set for charge is, a readied action.

However, if you also had a reach weapon and the creature moved through your threatened squares, or the charge provoked an AoO for some other reason, then you would als get an AoO.

And at 1400 gp, it's quite inexpensive, especially with the other tactical bonuses it gives.

JiveTurkey
2008-01-25, 03:49 PM
The boots say if you are charged than you are treated as if you had readied the weapon, even if it can't be readied. So does this scenario make sense?

I am fighting an ogre with my two handed sword, and another ogre has just entered the room. I use a full action to unload on the ogre in front of me, killing him. The second ogre charges me, thinking I will just have to take his charge. My boots allow me to have my two handed sword readied against his charge, so I make an attack and if I succeed deal double damage.

I never actually spend an action to ready the weapon, since I am treated as always having it readied. So I get it as a free action then? Am I just not understanding a readied action?

Captain van der Decken
2008-01-25, 03:56 PM
It says you are treated as if you had readied a weapon against any creature that charges you, which means exactly that. You don't need to take an action to ready it and it's not an AoO. It's a readied attack. Just free.

Bearonet
2008-01-25, 04:14 PM
It's not an AoO, it just happens, and everybody with a two handed weapon has a pair in my game. Somehow we never get charged anymore! :-D

shaggz076
2008-01-25, 04:18 PM
Here is an example

Forest Gump is standing around with his Great Sword in hand. Jennie walk in and sees him "Forest, i'ma gonna screw you!" and she chages at him.

Forest turns around saying "huh?" and Jennie gets impaled on his big two hander.

See no effort on Forest's part. It's all about the boots and the big two hander.

Crimson Avenger
2008-01-25, 05:01 PM
Here is an example

Forest Gump is standing around with his Great Sword in hand. Jennie walk in and sees him "Forest, i'ma gonna screw you!" and she chages at him.

Forest turns around saying "huh?" and Jennie gets impaled on his big two hander.

See no effort on Forest's part. It's all about the boots and the big two hander.

I giggled.

sikyon
2008-01-25, 05:03 PM
Here is an example

Head spinning... so... inappropriate...

Crimson Avenger
2008-01-25, 05:06 PM
The boots say if you are charged than you are treated as if you had readied the weapon, even if it can't be readied. So does this scenario make sense?

I am fighting an ogre with my two handed sword, and another ogre has just entered the room. I use a full action to unload on the ogre in front of me, killing him. The second ogre charges me, thinking I will just have to take his charge. My boots allow me to have my two handed sword readied against his charge, so I make an attack and if I succeed deal double damage.

I never actually spend an action to ready the weapon, since I am treated as always having it readied. So I get it as a free action then? Am I just not understanding a readied action?

Let's not forget that just because you are treated as readied, doesn't mean you get an attack. in your scenario, you readied for charge cause the ogre charged you, but DIDN'T get to attack for double damage because the ogre pulls up short (10 ft reach). Part of the reason the boots are so inexpensive is because of the very limited nature of how useful they are. Smarter opponents don't charge, and creatures with reach can't be reached back unless you also have a reach weapon.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-25, 06:10 PM
Part of the reason the boots are so inexpensive is because of the very limited nature of how useful they are. Smarter opponents don't charge, and creatures with reach can't be reached back unless you also have a reach weapon.

But why would you not have a reach weapon if you were the type that wore such boots? :smallamused:

Worira
2008-01-25, 08:31 PM
Because of the many flaws and disadvantages of the spiked chain, obviously.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-25, 08:41 PM
Because of the many flaws and disadvantages of the spiked chain, obviously.

Those being two things: 1. requiring a feat; and 2. breaking the laws of physics.

Miles Invictus
2008-01-25, 08:55 PM
Breaking the laws of physics is never a disadvantage!

Never!