PDA

View Full Version : Ancient/forgotten/destroyed/hidden languages in Faerun

Jimp
2008-01-25, 08:03 PM
I'm playing a 2.0 coversion of the archivist class in an upcoming 2e FR game. The concept is basically a tomb exploring, cave diving Dwarven archivist in search of lost or forbidden knowledge. Thanks to my Int 16 I can choose 5 langauges. Unfortunately I don't know much about the FR setting beyond basic geography so I need some input on the kind of unusual languages this character would know. I have taken the Ancient Languages proficiency. The game will probably be set around the Sword Coast.
Suggestions?

Moff Chumley
2008-01-25, 08:21 PM
Let us see...

I'm lending out my FR campaign setting, but I can remember one language thats a must: Old Thorass. Basically, archaic common. Used, presumably, around the time of Netheril, wich reminds me, Netherese is also an Adventurer's friend. Good luck!

Fax Celestis
2008-01-25, 08:45 PM
I'm a particular fan of learning the elemental languages, myself.

kemmotar
2008-01-26, 12:11 AM
Actually, if you're going to stay local or if you have an idea about what your DM will throw at you, i'd suggest those languages. More commonly spoken languages can come more in handy then long forgotten languages unless you routinely discover ancient tombs or ruins from a long lost civilisation...which really shouldn't be routine no matter who you are...unless ofc you're a 20th level wizard...anyway, i'd suggest as Fax said elemental languages, maybe celestial or abyssal/infernal depending on alignment, the languages of your teammates...

If you're looking for a true linguist then you might go for changeling with the master linguist feat, i think most DMs would allow it though i don't think you're looking for this exactly...the solution would be to ask help from your DM, what kind of languages are most probable to encounter...if you have the FR campaign setting or the one you could go through it, but most grand old civilisations didn't build underground as much..firstly for splendor and secondly because they were confident in their power...though that would depend on your DM...

As suggested above, netherese is your best bet and ask your DM, he should've looked through the campaign setting and could propose a few languages...also since you have speak languages as a class skill you could spend a few skill points with your high int for extra languages...

bosssmiley
2008-01-26, 09:29 AM
You really want to get your hands on "Lost Empires of Faerun" (available in your FLGS bargain bin sometime around May :smallamused: ), that's the go-to book for all FR things ancient and forgotten. IIRC there's a sidebar somewhere in there that says what dead languages were spoken by what ancient cultures.