PDA

View Full Version : Whirlwind Heir [PrC]

The Demented One
2008-01-25, 08:38 PM
Whirlwind Heir

The arts of the Whirlwind Heir are a set of martial techniques that have been handed down from master to student since the days before the Temple of the Nine Swords. The first Whirlwind Heir is said to have been the son of a god of wind, who taught him the powerful techniques that would become the hallmark of the Heirs. The core of the Whirlwind Heir technique is a series of blade forms and techniques that imitate the wind, from the lightest breeze to the most ferocious storm. They rely on utter calm and concentration, along with great strength and speed, and are masters of the Diamond Mind and Iron Heart disciplines. The bastard sword or katana is the weapon of choice of most Heirs, and even those that do not use one must be capable of wielding one in order to understand the techniques of the Whirlwind Heir, that were originally created to be used with a katana. Though the arts of the Whirlwind Heir are traditionally handed down from master to student, they have been recorded in certain libraries of history and martial lore, allowing any warrior to become one. Most are either warblades or samurai who have learned a few martial techniques.

Hit Dice
d10

Requirements
To qualify to become a Whirlwind Heir, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
BAB: +6
Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword), Unnerving Calm
Maneuvers: Must know at least one Diamond Mind or Iron Heart maneuver of 2nd level.
Skills: Concentration 9 ranks
Special: Must have trained under a Whirlwind Heir or have studied their techniques in a library of martial lore.

Class Skills
The Whirlwind Heir’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Knowledge (Nobility), Martial Lore (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points per Level
4 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Maneuvers[br]Known|Maneuvers[br]Readied|Stances[br]Known

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Zephyr Draw +1d6|0|0|1

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Calm After The Storm|1|0|1

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Serene Reflexes|1|1|1

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Eye of the Storm, Zephyr Draw +2d6|2|1|1

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Tempest Strike|2|1|2

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Insightful Riposte|3|1|2

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Wind’s Edge|3|2|2

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|Zephyr Draw +3d6|4|2|2

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|Stance of the Four Winds|4|2|2

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Whirlwind Reaper Strike|5|2|2[/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Whirlwind Heir prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
You gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Maneuvers
At each even-numbered level, you gain one new maneuver known from the Diamond Mind or Iron Heart disciplines. You must meet a maneuver’s prerequisites to learn it. You add your full Whirlwind Heir level to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and the highest level of maneuver you can learn. If you have levels in an initiator class that allows you to exchange out maneuvers at certain levels, your Whirlwind Heir levels stack with your levels in that class for determining when you may exchange maneuvers. At 3rd and 7th level, you gain an additional maneuver readied each day.

Stances
At 1st level, and again at 5th level, you gain a new martial stance known from the Diamond Mind or Iron Heart disciplines. You must meet a stance’s prerequisites to learn it.

Zephyr Draw (Ex)
At 1st level, whenever you initiate a maneuver that allows you to make a melee attack roll, you may draw a weapon as a free action before you make the attack. If you do, and the attack is made against an enemy that is denied its Dexterity bonus to AC, then you deal an additional 1d6 damage. The extra damage rises to 2d6 at 4th level and to 3d6 at 8th level.

In addition, after you damage an opponent with this ability, you gain a morale bonus on all melee attack rolls made to hit him. It lasts for a number of rounds equal to your class level. The bonus begins at +1, but increases by 1 at the end of every round in which you successfully hit that opponent. You lose the benefits of the bonus if you miss that opponent, attack another opponent, or are hit with a melee attack by that opponent.

Calm After The Storm (Ex)
At 2nd level, whenever you attack an opponent in melee and reduce it to 0 hp or less, you may make a Concentration check to unnerve all enemies that saw you drop the foe. All enemies within 30 ft. of you that have HD less than or equal to the result of the check -10 are shaken for 1d6 rounds, and take a -1 morale penalty on all attack and damage rolls they make against you for that many rounds. You may only use this ability once per encounter per 8 initiator levels.

Serene Reflexes (Ex)
At 3rd level, your serene focus allows you to counterattack with great speed and precision. You may make attacks of opportunity while flatfooted. In addition, each round, you may make a number of additional attacks of opportunity, based on your ranks in the concentration skill. If you have the Combat Reflexes feat, the additional attacks of opportunity from it do not stack with those from this ability; use whichever grants more attacks.

{table=head]Ranks|Extra Attacks
1-9|One
10-13|Two
14-17|Three
18+|Four[/table]

Eye of the Storm (Ex)
At 4th level, your power of will allows you to fight off death. When you are reduced to below 0 hp, you may attempt a Concentration check, DC 25, rather than a percentile roll, to stabilize. In addition, for every two ranks in the Concentration skill you have, the maximum amount of damage you can take before dying increases by one, to a maximum of -20. For example, if you had 10 ranks in Concentrate, you would die at -15, rather than -10, hp.

Tempest Strike (Ex)
At 5th level, whenever you successfully hit an enemy that has damage reduction with a melee attack made as part of a maneuver, you may make a Concentration check. You subtract the result of that check, divided by 5, from that enemy's damage reduction.

Insightful Riposte (Ex)
At 6th level, you can make incredibly rapid, precise blocks to parry your foes’ attacks. Whenever you are attacked you may, as an immediate action, make a Concentration check with a DC equal to the result of the attack roll. If you are successful, that attack fails. You may use this ability once per encounter per 12 initiator levels.

Wind’s Edge (Ex)
At 7th level, the wind bears your blows. Whenever you initiate a maneuver that allows you to make a single melee attack, you may use this ability to make a ranged attack instead, at any opponent within 30 ft. of you. You must make a Concentration check, with DC equal to the AC of the opponent you are attacking. If you succeed, the attack succeeds. It works just like that martial maneuver normally would, except it is performed at a range. If you fail the check, the attack fails, and the maneuver is expended. You may use this ability once per encounter per 12 initiator levels.

Stance of the Four Winds (Ex)
At 9th level, you gain the ability to assume the powerful stance of the four winds. While you are in a martial stance of the Diamond Mind discipline, you may, as a swift action, forgo its normal benefit to gain the effects of the stance of the four winds. You can also end the stance of the four winds and resume the normal benefit of the stance you were in as a swift action. While in the stance of the four winds, the first melee attack you make each round is considered a touch attack.

Whirlwind Reaper Strike (Ex)
At 10th level, you master the whirlwind reaper strike, a technique that allows you to strike many foes with a single martial maneuver. As a full-round action, you may initiate a maneuver that normally allows you to make a single melee attack. If you do, you may instead make a single melee attack at every enemy within your reach, applying the benefits of the maneuver to each attack. If the maneuver requires you to make a skill check, you make only one, and use that result for each attack. You can only use this ability once per encounter. You may not use maneuvers of the highest level you can initiate with this ability.

EvilElitest
2008-01-25, 08:41 PM
Cool, but needs more fluff

Also what motivated you to make it bastard sword or katana?
from
EE

The Demented One
2008-01-25, 08:46 PM
Also what motivated you to make it bastard sword or katana?
from
EE
For one, they're favored weapons for both Diamond Mind and Iron Heart. Secondly, the class was initially flavored as a martial samurai, but I decided to change it to make it a bit more open for different concepts, capitalizing on the wind-themed names I already had in the process. I decided to keep the katana bit since it still made sense with the class.

EvilElitest
2008-01-25, 08:50 PM
For one, they're favored weapons for both Diamond Mind and Iron Heart. Secondly, the class was initially flavored as a martial samurai, but I decided to change it to make it a bit more open for different concepts, capitalizing on the wind-themed names I already had in the process. I decided to keep the katana bit since it still made sense with the class.

alright that sounds good, i can imagine a guy who has a bastard sword over his shoulder and a katana at his side
from
EE

Stycotl
2008-01-25, 11:48 PM
overall i like this quite a bit. there is some real potential in some of the higher level abilities in particular, such as... well, pretty much all of them.

i do have some quibbles over a few of them though.

a) zephyr draw: iaijutsu-inspired i am assuming. unless i am missing part of the combat routine, it seems very limited, so as to be almost not worth it for the sneak-attack-range damage. the way it is worded now, you either get it first round, surprise round, or you get it later on during the fight if someone else can knock the foe silly, so as it loses its dex bonus and you can freedraw a secondary weapon or something. i would either up the damage or loosen the opportunities for use, or include some additional mechanic. iaijutsu and battōjutsu were both concerned with the art of drawing the sword. but as far as i have ever read iaijutsu only concentrated on the first strike, whereas battōjutsu focused on a series of first strikes.

a thought i had was that you could include them both in the ability. the iaijutsu specifically affects the first strike as the weapon is drawn, dealing the sneak attack-equiv damage. if successful (meaning heir is on a roll now and can hopefully keep pressing a relentless assault), give him some bonuses. say that every subsequent attack in the encounter against that foe receives a cumulative bonus to attack and or damage (+1 or 2 or so), until either the heir misses an attack,and therefore breaks the battōjutsu rhytm, or the foe gets a successful attack in against the heir, breaking the rhythm, or something similar.

or you could just up the damage or free up the situational usage. also, you should specify whether this damage is precision-based or not, and whether it affects constructs, undead, etc.

b) calm after the storm: very nice. i like it much. a thought i had is that a foe who fails by 5+ becomes frightened, and a foe who fails by 10+ becomes panicked, which would occasionally make a trapped, cowering foe, which could give the heir a chance to use his zephyr attack.

c) serene reflexes: i do not personally have a problem with this ability stacking with combat reflexes. AoO's do not happen a ton anyway, especially if the npc foes are played tactically. if the pc wants to spend a precious feat for more AoO's per round, i'm all for it. if he likes them that much, he's gonna go epic in a few campaigns anyway and gain infinite AoO's anyway.

d) eye of the storm: nice. i hope that at epic levels, the heir can increase this ability. i would probably for my own use make it more expensive, but get rid of the maximum.

e) tempest strike: marvelous. very nice. i would however reword the mathematics. it is understandable, but still sounds a little jumbled. i would just say 'take the result, divide by 5, and subtract from foe's dr.'

f) insightful riposte, wind's edge, and stance o' the 4 winds, very nice. flavorful and fitting. and then the capstone, whirlwind reaper strike, a very good capstone that is thematically appropriate and desirable enough to actually complete the 10th level. bravo.

ps- i had told myself that i was just gonna take a quick look at the boards today, that i was not actually going to take the time to answer anyone, cuz i'm exhausted, long week of school/work/kids/etc. but darn it! there always has to be something cool here to make me linger and post. i'm holding you personally responsible, DO!

aaron out.

The Demented One
2008-01-26, 08:38 AM
a thought i had was that you could include them both in the ability. the iaijutsu specifically affects the first strike as the weapon is drawn, dealing the sneak attack-equiv damage. if successful (meaning heir is on a roll now and can hopefully keep pressing a relentless assault), give him some bonuses. say that every subsequent attack in the encounter against that foe receives a cumulative bonus to attack and or damage (+1 or 2 or so), until either the heir misses an attack,and therefore breaks the battōjutsu rhytm, or the foe gets a successful attack in against the heir, breaking the rhythm, or something similar.

b) calm after the storm: very nice. i like it much. a thought i had is that a foe who fails by 5+ becomes frightened, and a foe who fails by 10+ becomes panicked, which would occasionally make a trapped, cowering foe, which could give the heir a chance to use his zephyr attack.
Good idea, although I'll tinker with the numbers somewhat.

c) serene reflexes: i do not personally have a problem with this ability stacking with combat reflexes. AoO's do not happen a ton anyway, especially if the npc foes are played tactically. if the pc wants to spend a precious feat for more AoO's per round, i'm all for it. if he likes them that much, he's gonna go epic in a few campaigns anyway and gain infinite AoO's anyway.
Personally, I'm wary of handing out too many AoO's. Someone with Stormguard Warrior, Combat Reflexes, and this ability could deal ridiculous amounts of damage by holding off on a bunch of AoO's and then attacking.

dyslexicfaser
2008-01-26, 01:40 PM
Overall, a neat class.

Im generally not a fan of AoO's at all: more work for everybody for just a bit more verisimilitude. I'd suggest something like Offensive or Defensive Metered Foot: concentration-based feats that produce cumulative +1 bonuses every time you either hit the opponent or dodge the opponent, to a maximum of +5 to attack rolls or AC (depending on Offensive or Defensive, natch).

Stycotl
2008-01-27, 01:37 PM
and i on the other hand am a gigantic fan of AoO's. i will admit to having an addiction to AoO-monkey characters. even look at the tactical feats i made. if i remember right, i specifically posted two of the ones that have AoO-related abilities.

Quellian-dyrae
2008-01-27, 03:55 PM
Very good class. I concur that stacking Serene Reflexes with Combat Reflexes would not be unbalanced. One slight wording issue: how does Zephyr Draw interact with multiple attacks and/or AoOs (like, do you have to hit with every attack to keep the bonus, can you AoO another foe without losing it, etc).