PDA

View Full Version : Need a bit of help with Important NPC

Ghal Marak
2008-01-25, 10:08 PM
I’m faced with a quandary. You see, I am adding special/important characters in my homebrew world/campaign/thing (link in my sig), and one of them is going to be an Immortal.

Here is the fluff, though it’s a bit ruff (:smalltongue:): At the beginning of time, after the first god found the Material plane floating within the great expanses of the Void, and the other gods congregated to it and started populating it with their creations, the discoverer of the plane decided that instead of an entire race, it would create but one creature. Thus, the Immortal (unnamed so far) came about. He is by far the oldest living thing (other than the gods) in my world, and would thus be the most powerful humanoid type. And this brings me to my problem.

What would his class be? At the start I was thinking some kind of marital class, but a caster type wouldn’t be too far out of the question. I just don’t know what to go with. I don't like the idea of strait wizard though. I just don't like wizards for some reason.

So, I turn to the boards and see what you guys think. Any ideas what an Immortal person with literally all the time in the world would be?

Zeal
2008-01-25, 10:19 PM
Archivist (HoH) or Bard seem the most logical to me.

Ghal Marak
2008-01-25, 10:43 PM
Archivist (HoH) or Bard seem the most logical to me.

Ooo, Archivist is a good idea. It would also make sense, what with the whole knowledge angle they've got going. Bard? I've had no experiance with them, though from what i've read on them they have the knowledge thing too.

DracoDei
2008-01-25, 10:52 PM
Sounds to me like 10-20 levels (or more) of almost every base class on the books would make sense... and most of the PrCs too. Since he is the ONLY creation of his god I would at least throw some significant cleric levels on there. I am not familiar with the rules for divine ranks, but he might qualify for at least Divine Rank 0 if not 1.

SilentNight
2008-01-25, 11:04 PM
I second Draco on that. For starters I'd go with a mystic theruge or cerebremancer. Probably both. For martial a mix of fighter monk and tome of battle would be nice.

Ghal Marak
2008-01-25, 11:08 PM
Sounds to me like 10-20 levels (or more) of almost every base class on the books would make sense... and most of the PrCs too. Since he is the ONLY creation of his god I would at least throw some significant cleric levels on there. I am not familiar with the rules for divine ranks, but he might qualify for at least Divine Rank 0 if not 1.

I intend to use the Immortal Template from The Vorpal Tribble for the Immortality. Cleric could be good. Or maybe Cloistered Cleric. Divine rank though? I haven't actualy thought of making it a lesser divine being.

DracoDei
2008-01-25, 11:10 PM
Divine Rank 0 just means "Demi-god" or something like that if I remember correctly... Hercules before he was promoted to full godhood, etc etc

Darkantra
2008-01-25, 11:43 PM
Depending on who their god is it might make sense for them to have a few levels in Horizon Walker for some interesting fluff and crunch. Having spent so long in the world they must have intimate knowledge of how to benefit from it without impressive magics.

Also, a significantly higher wisdom score compared to other stats would be a must, as they would have to have the patience to view the world as a complete outsider and not go totally insane while doing so.

I'm not familiar with the Immortal template, do you have the link?

Ghal Marak
2008-01-26, 05:14 PM
Depending on who their god is it might make sense for them to have a few levels in Horizon Walker for some interesting fluff and crunch. Having spent so long in the world they must have intimate knowledge of how to benefit from it without impressive magics.

Also, a significantly higher wisdom score compared to other stats would be a must, as they would have to have the patience to view the world as a complete outsider and not go totally insane while doing so.

I'm not familiar with the Immortal template, do you have the link?

Sure. link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46257)

I also plan on using the horrifically powerful Apotheosis race for 'em too. Here's that link. link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70292) With some tweaking on my part of course. :smallbiggrin:

StoryKeeper
2008-01-27, 10:08 PM
What level is the party in this campaign? What is the purpose of having this NPC? Bard seems like the best choice to me as a class. Their jack of all trades aspect is a good way to give him the numerous abilities he would have picked up over teh years. The problem with a character who has lived so long is that, unless he sat on his immortal hinquarters for millenia after millenia, he would be incredibly powerful. If he is in the game to serve as the wise old man who can tell them whatever they need to know, then you might just give him a l;ot of levels in one or two things. For instance, give him half-fighter and half-caster. This would represent the skills that happen to be relevant at the time, so if you need him to cast a strong spell at the time, he happens to be statted as a powerful mage. Need an unmatched swordsman? Use a ton of fighter levels. The idea here is that, since you don't intend to have him die (do you?), and since he would have so many talents by this time, you simply reflect his incredible experience and skill one or two classes at a time.

Ghal Marak
2008-01-28, 12:17 AM
What level is the party in this campaign? What is the purpose of having this NPC? Bard seems like the best choice to me as a class. Their jack of all trades aspect is a good way to give him the numerous abilities he would have picked up over teh years. The problem with a character who has lived so long is that, unless he sat on his immortal hinquarters for millenia after millenia, he would be incredibly powerful. If he is in the game to serve as the wise old man who can tell them whatever they need to know, then you might just give him a l;ot of levels in one or two things. For instance, give him half-fighter and half-caster. This would represent the skills that happen to be relevant at the time, so if you need him to cast a strong spell at the time, he happens to be statted as a powerful mage. Need an unmatched swordsman? Use a ton of fighter levels. The idea here is that, since you don't intend to have him die (do you?), and since he would have so many talents by this time, you simply reflect his incredible experience and skill one or two classes at a time.

Well, ultimately his use is up to the DM running the game. But when I do eventually run it, he would be (as you said) the wise person who they need info from. Or, maybe he has something locked away within a vast vault that they want. *shrug* In any case, it's a huge hassle just to get to the guy.

Also, that would be a good plot line. The Immortal who has lived since time began died! Who could have done it? Why would they do it? How could it have been done? :smallbiggrin:

Half-Fighter and Half-Caster sounds good. Hmm... maybe Sorcerer? Warlock even? Though warlock may not have been what you were thinking of. Hmm… do you think he could he pull off Truenamer? He already has excellent attributes, and the best in magical items. Something to puzzle over. So, the safest bet would be as you have said, half caster and half fighter.