PDA

View Full Version : Psionic spell system for Casters?

Bellmaethorion
2008-01-26, 05:29 AM
I'm not sure whether this should go here or in the homebrew section, but seeing as how it's a question, and not actually something already worked out, I'll post it here.

I was wondering, whether it is possible to use the points system used for Psionics for casters, without a serious overhaul of the spells available to them(assume core only spells, v3.5)

would this make casters overpowered, or underpowered even?
are there certain spells that should not be available to use if this system is used?
if it doesn't work for casters, why does it for psionics, and how could it be made to work for casters?

I'm working on a homebrew setting, with completely new caster-classes, so any changes that would have to be made to how the general caster works can be implemented into these new classes with relative ease.

If a complete overhaul of the system is needed for it to work without being over- or underpowered, does anybody know a better system that could work?

Kyace
2008-01-26, 06:57 AM
You might try http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/spellPoints.htm

Bellmaethorion
2008-01-26, 07:56 AM
That's very interesting... I'll certainly look into that, thanks:smallsmile:

Draz74
2008-01-26, 11:11 AM
It's overly generous with spell points, makes Sorcerers really worthless compared with Wizards, and doesn't do enough of an overhaul with the spells (it doesn't change any except the direct-damage spells). I'm not a fan.

One of the greatest beauties of the Psionics system is the whole idea of Augmenting your spells. Making other magic use the Psionics system would require re-writing a LOT of spells to have Augmented abilities. (The upshot is, there would be a lot less spells available; for example, Swift Invisibility / Invisibility / Invisibility Sphere / Greater Invisibility could all be the same augmentable spell.)

I'm working on just such a system. Although my game also will be E8 (i.e. 4th-level spells will be the highest available, besides 4e-like Rituals) and will have per-encounter Magic Points rather than daily PP.

Starbuck_II
2008-01-26, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure whether this should go here or in the homebrew section, but seeing as how it's a question, and not actually something already worked out, I'll post it here.

I was wondering, whether it is possible to use the points system used for Psionics for casters, without a serious overhaul of the spells available to them(assume core only spells, v3.5)

You'll need serious overhaul.

The current spell point system is unearthed arcana I think. It was like using a sledgehammer as a screwdriver.

It works with a few spells:
Fireball is straight forward: 1d6/caster.
Glitterdust?
Poymorph only base cost
Sleet Storm for only base cost. (wish Psionics had something that good)

It only works for some spells that use the damage/level. Save or lose spells work regardless.

It also allows higher level slots too much (non-damage ones) for cheaper. Magic has better save or loses which seems a little unbalanced to me for spell points.

Your opinion may vary of course.

if it doesn't work for casters, why does it for psionics, and how could it be made to work for casters?

Why? Because Psionic powers were made to be working with Power points.
Forcing spells takes a lot of work.

EvilElitest
2008-01-26, 03:19 PM
I've never used the unearthed Arcania point system, why is it so bad?
from
EE