PDA

View Full Version : Spore

Jinura
2008-01-26, 05:49 AM
Anyone else waiting for this title. Seems that it will be alot of fun.

Jibar
2008-01-26, 06:11 AM
ARGH! GOD DAMN IT!

Everytime someone mentions Spore the release date gets put back!
It's why we let these threads die!
Now it's back to like 2020!

Dumbledore lives
2008-01-26, 07:04 AM
ARGH! GOD DAMN IT!

Everytime someone mentions Spore the release date gets put back!
It's why we let these threads die!
Now it's back to like 2020!

It's true, Spore looks beyond awesome and hopefully it will be out by the time I die, maybe... hopefully... probalbly not.:smallfrown:

Captain van der Decken
2008-01-26, 07:47 AM
I keep forgetting it exists. :smalltongue:

factotum
2008-01-26, 07:58 AM
I just can't help but worry that the game can't possibly match even the hype that's been raised about it already, much less what there'll have been by the time it gets released...

Quinsar
2008-01-26, 09:53 AM
Look what I found:smallbiggrin:

Spore (http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-Spore/dp/B000FKBCX4)

SolkaTruesilver
2008-01-26, 11:10 AM
nice to know that they are already cashing money over it.

But no way in hell am I gonna buy this with Sim Societies. The only price I'd agree to buy both is if they LOWER the price to incite me to take Sim Societies...

Szilard
2008-01-26, 11:15 AM
If you guys keep up with the news at www.hookedonspore.com , you would know that Spore is being realeased in spring.

Leper_Kahn
2008-01-26, 11:43 AM
If you guys keep up with the news at www.hookedonspore.com , you would know that Spore is being realeased in spring.

Well it WAS going to be released this spring. With this thread going it defiantly will be pushed back. Seriously like Jibar said, "Everytime someone mentions Spore the release date gets put back!"

DAMMIT! I did it again!

Icewalker
2008-01-26, 11:48 AM
Wow, I didn't know it was getting that close. I had given it up to the ones who claimed Starcraft: Ghost.

Jibar
2008-01-26, 11:53 AM
Wow, I didn't know it was getting that close. I had given it up to the ones who claimed Starcraft: Ghost.

Ghost. We mourn you.

I also hadn't realised EA said it was even going to be announced this year (2025), only that it was going to be last year autumn (2030), and being that spring (2050), and before that Christmas 2006 (2096), and before that some time mid-2005 (2400).
It's not been doing well with release dates basically (3000).
But considering God has been good to me so far this year, he might just let it out when it's meant to be (6000).
Let's just hope nothing goes wrong (Never).

Icewalker
2008-01-26, 11:11 PM
Ghost. We mourn you.

I also hadn't realised EA said it was even going to be announced this year (2025), only that it was going to be last year autumn (2030), and being that spring (2050), and before that Christmas 2006 (2096), and before that some time mid-2005 (2400).
It's not been doing well with release dates basically (3000).
But considering God has been good to me so far this year, he might just let it out when it's meant to be (6000).
Let's just hope nothing goes wrong (Never).

...booooooo

...hoo

Desidus
2008-01-27, 12:30 AM
Spore... how do I describe it...

it's like the game, every time I forget about it, somebody shoves it in my face.

Lost? That sucks, but it's ok, you don't clutter anyways, post your losing here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67577) and enjoy company. ;)

Crispy Dave
2008-01-27, 12:32 AM
cant wait and my computer knows too it relises i needed a new vidoe card so it killed my current one

Trazoi
2008-01-27, 12:57 AM
I always hate it when some company says they'll be releasing their product "this spring" or any other season. Since I live in another hemisphere from the bulk of you it always confused me.

Spore is one of the few games I've been looking forward to; I'm not sure if it will be as brilliant as the hype makes out, but on Will Wright's reputation I'm sure it's at least interesting. I'm hoping it doesn't turn out like Black and White though, too much attempt at something novel to make it fun or even a game.

My main conundrum is that I'm switching to Mac based computers (I work better on them) and while there is a Mac release I'm sure it uses some emulation software rather than running native. I don't know whether it would be wiser to buy the Mac version or to get the Windows version and switch OSes when I want to play.

Ominous
2008-01-27, 01:22 AM
I lost a little bit of my interest in Spore when they made the graphics at the microbe level more cartoony. I liked the old version. The new version is too cluttered.

Leper_Kahn
2008-01-27, 01:25 AM
My main conundrum is that I'm switching to Mac based computers (I work better on them) and while there is a Mac release I'm sure it uses some emulation software rather than running native. I don't know whether it would be wiser to buy the Mac version or to get the Windows version and switch OSes when I want to play.

The new Mac computers run on Intel processors. There is a converter software called "Cider." (http://www.transgaming.com/) Game developers can recompile their code using this software and it will then run natively on Mac. (As long as it works.) When it works it works great, but Mac also seems to sell game titles that don't actually work using this software... (Civ IV Warlords is an example.) I'd wait a few weeks after it comes out and look at reviews. People will show it if it doesn't work.

Trazoi
2008-01-27, 01:37 AM
The new Mac computers run on Intel processors. There is a converter software called "Cider." (http://www.transgaming.com/) Game developers can recompile their code using this software and it will then run natively on Mac. (As long as it works.) When it works it works great, but Mac also seems to sell game titles that don't actually work using this software... (Civ IV Warlords is an example.) I'd wait a few weeks after it comes out and look at reviews. People will show it if it doesn't work.
Thanks. The wait is pretty much what I'm planning. I've never really tried gaming on the Mac before, so I'm not that clued in to the subtleties. Once I swap my beige box PC for an iMac I'll have to see what between Boot Camp and Wine is the best method for playing my archive of old Windows games.

Icewalker
2008-01-27, 02:49 AM
I hope they haven't really upped the graphics since the stuff I've seen when it was first announced. My computer is just bordering on obsolete, and can't run most new games.

Triaxx
2008-01-27, 06:41 AM
They've actually announced an actual Mac version of the game, rather than just trying to run windows versions.

JessSoccer
2008-01-27, 08:30 AM
I always hate it when some company says they'll be releasing their product "this spring" or any other season. Since I live in another hemisphere from the bulk of you it always confused me.

:smallbiggrin: That's hilarious! I never thought about that, but yea, I guess your right. But at least it's more definite than "Early 2008" that could mean all the way till July.

Basically how I see it, as far as degree's of certainty on release: Coming Soon, Releasing: 2008, Early 2008, Spring 2008, March 2008, <DATE>

Lu Yan
2008-01-27, 09:29 AM
to black and white...

the only thing i liked about that game was beating up pets, and killing those stupid singing brothers that treat you like an errand boy to make them a ship! really did love killing them.

to spore *rumbling sounds echo as if something just moved*

i dont know much about it, but i am looking forward to the supposed amazing features and what not. that, and it was on the colbert report, so i gotta try it at least :smalltongue:

Pagz
2008-01-27, 10:11 AM
If its pushed back again after this (they said they'd give use a solid release date mid-to-late January >.>)...

I don't know what to say, I could mutter any and many obscene obscurities, but I've said so many since 2006 that they've lost all meaning.

Pyro
2008-01-27, 10:22 AM
Hmmmm when did I first hear about Spore? I think it was 2006. I remember when I first heard of it, I followed it religiously. Then I lost interest after about the 3rd delay.

Anyway I'm glad to hear it should be out this year. Spore does look like a really awesome game.

Icewalker
2008-01-27, 03:45 PM
I dunno, I found Black and White very cool. The second one was definitely better though, with the armies. Hard games, I never did too well in them. Fun though...I like the look of the really evil temple in the first one, with the spikes curving waay up...I should take that out again sometime.

Spore...anyone know whether you will be able to have multiple games of it going? Because I want to make a load of different races. I'm definitely going to make at least one Zerg modeled.

The Orange Zergling
2008-01-27, 08:13 PM
I certainly hope so. It'd suck if you could only control one civilization per copy of the game. :smallannoyed:

I too will at least attempt modeling a Zerg, probably a 'ling, they look like the most viable with the editor.

Jibar
2008-01-28, 11:29 AM
I find myself wondering just how their engine would make a Cat-Muffin move.
Oh yeah. I'm gonna make Cat-Muffins.
Then they can go to all your planets and chocolatise your world.

God DAMMIT. Not meant to get excited again. I've been let down too much already.

Icewalker
2008-01-28, 01:31 PM
Yeah, having thought about, Zergling is probably the most viable, as the rest...don't really have functional limbs...

Maybe lurkers or defilers.

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2008-01-28, 01:35 PM
Actually, at this point, I'm fairly certain Spore will be released after "Duke Nukem Forever."

Goats_o_Mjolnir
2008-01-28, 01:40 PM
When this game comes out we should download each others creations, hooray for expanded multi-verse!

Carpetkiller
2008-01-28, 04:43 PM
It would really suck if Spore got delayed again. It's been so long since they first announced it.

Trazoi
2008-01-28, 07:58 PM
Actually, at this point, I'm fairly certain Spore will be released after "Duke Nukem Forever."
Bet you a mug of ale that you're wrong. :smallsmile:

In all seriousness, Spore has had an interactive game demo shown, proving they're actually making progress. They've also got a release date. Duke Nukem Forever had a demo that looked like a game... back in 2001. Not many positive signs from them lately (the latest teaser didn't put my hopes up that there's actually anything being done).

While more delays are possible, I'd be surprised if Spore wasn't released by Christmas this year. I'll be even more surprised if anyone is playing Duke Nukem Forever by then :smallamused:

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-01-29, 04:14 PM
They say it will be out in may, or at least thats what they say on the website.

Konig
2008-01-29, 05:35 PM
Spore has a lot of promise, but then again, so did Black and White.

Maxis tends to overhype their games - My concern is that Spore won't really feature all that many options... that in the end, playing one carnivorous race will barely be any different from playing the next.

If, by contrast, you simply can't repeat the same patterns in subsequent playthroughs, then Spore could kick major rear.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-01-29, 09:02 PM
Just 1 thing really disgusted me about this. I once went to a forum to discuss about possible creature's design, and I turned around after a first checkup.

a third of the posts were about penis-like monsters, either people saying they would make one, or people saying the game should be made possible to filter them out.

I mean, it,s ridiculous. It makes you despair about the intelligence of some forum-posters..

(and I was sad they did not talked about boob-like monster... :smallwink: )

Eakin
2008-01-29, 09:48 PM
Spore has a lot of promise, but then again, so did Black and White.

Maxis tends to overhype their games - My concern is that Spore won't really feature all that many options... that in the end, playing one carnivorous race will barely be any different from playing the next.

If, by contrast, you simply can't repeat the same patterns in subsequent playthroughs, then Spore could kick major rear.

Unlike Black & White, Spore is not being developed by Peter Molyneux. It's being made by the genius behind all the Sim franchises and the lead designer of Civ 4. If anybody knows how to make an open-ended game compelling on multiple playthroughs, it's these guys.

Moongoat
2008-01-29, 09:56 PM
i have one question about spore. im pretty sure that my computer can handle all the graphics,memory, proccesor stuff, but does the game NEED internet cause my current computer only has dialup and its pretty slow.

Eakin
2008-01-29, 10:05 PM
i have one question about spore. im pretty sure that my computer can handle all the graphics,memory, proccesor stuff, but does the game NEED internet cause my current computer only has dialup and its pretty slow.

Doubtful. Alien creature design can either be picked up online or be done by the game. Plus objects and creatures can apparently be compressed into a few kilobytes per item. According to Wikipedia anyway.

Trazoi
2008-01-29, 10:07 PM
Unlike Black & White, Spore is not being developed by Peter Molyneux. It's being made by the genius behind all the Sim franchises and the lead designer of Civ 4. If anybody knows how to make an open-ended game compelling on multiple playthroughs, it's these guys.

This is the only reason I'm holding high hopes for it. If it were anyone other than Will Wright designing the game I'd be skeptical, but the guy has had a very good track record at getting novel game elements working right.

My main concern is I used to think the same thing about Peter Molyneux until Black & White and Fable. If the widely different game elements in Spore don't work well together as a game, then my opinion of Will Wright as a designer to admire will be tarnished. That'll leave me with just Shigeru Miyamoto to admire...

I'd be surprised if it were mandatory. It's coming out on nearly every platform it seems, and many of those don't have internet play as a common function (like the Wii). Plus like SolkaTruesilver I'm not sure I'd like to play in a universe full of phalluses...

Wolfprint
2008-01-30, 02:48 AM
The OP has done it. The curse has struck again.

Analyst: Spore Likely Delayed (http://pc.ign.com/articles/848/848439p1.html)

stabbybelkar
2008-01-30, 05:40 PM
NOOOOOOO!!!!! Spore is delayed AGAIN! Thanks a lot OP, you ***hole

Trazoi
2008-01-31, 01:27 AM
It seems the argument though is from an analyst outside of EA, so it might just be speculation. I'm not sure how share underperformance is tied to product delays myself, unless the shareholders have been told something in secret and are keeping tight lipped about it. I'd have thought if EA was under pressure they'd be putting more effort into shipping titles in order to boost their fortunes (which could be more of an indicator of a rush job, which is actually worse news). But I'm just speculating here myself!

Icewalker
2008-01-31, 01:34 AM
noooooooo...

Well crap. I guess the curse is real. Guess that proves me wrong.

Unless that is just false speculation, which would make me happy.

stupid curse...

Pagz
2008-01-31, 02:30 AM

The OP has done it. The curse has struck again.

Analyst: Spore Likely Delayed (http://pc.ign.com/articles/848/848439p1.html)I concur :smallfrown:.

Tekar
2008-01-31, 10:41 AM
Spore reminds me too much of Black and White. And that's not a good thing. As with most ambitious, inovative large scale projects it will probably be poorly implemented and dissapointing. But I guess we'll wait and see.

Destro_Yersul
2008-02-01, 01:52 AM
If it is poorly implemented, which I doubt from what I've seen, then we can at least take consolation from the fact that Yahtzee can gleefully rip it to shreds.

And if it isn't, then we can all buy it, play it, and send each other the three hundred twenty thousand different things we made cause we have no lives. :smallbiggrin:

The Orange Zergling
2008-02-01, 03:38 AM
Yeah, even if Spore sucks the editors look like they'd be a game in themselves.

endoperez
2008-02-01, 04:55 AM
I've followed Spore development for a long time now, but not that actively. You see, after I read more about it I quickly realized it doesn't seem like I'd enjoy playing it.

The different levels of games available - the simple "eat or be eaten" of the cell-phase reminds me of flOw, which I enjoyed (the online PC version). It became pointless rather quickly, because I had no incentive to play it again and again. Simple high-score would help - as would the ability to evolve into a creature.

The creature state seems just strange. Move around, kill stuff, "evolve" to the next level... It's like what turned me off Morrowind. Well, if it's pulled off well even this could be enjoyable. You start a simple game of growing a creature to pass some time, you like the creature so you eventually land and start the next phase, and have fun with the weird world. It could work.

But.

The tribe, the civilization the space. What does the basic creature have to do at this point? What does it matter? Technology is technology. You can make the building look like your creatures, or you could make all your creatures' buildings look like same. I haven't seen anything that would make me interested in the latter half of the game more than once or twice, especially as you don't have a time limit (as far as I know) once you reach that phase. And while the cell/creature phases seem like fun, I doubt they'd be revolutionary. I'm not sure where the "worm eats apples and avoids other creatures" genre comes from, and I'm not sure where the "you walk around, kill stuff and get better at walking around and killing stuff" genre starts, although it's based on Dungeon Master and similar games where it's a group instead of an individual. I can tell, however, that neither of these ideas is "revolutionary". Because of this, I'm not that interested in Spore.

bluish_wolf
2008-02-03, 01:11 AM
The tribe, the civilization the space. What does the basic creature have to do at this point? What does it matter? Technology is technology.

It's already been stated that you can walk on land during the space phase. Presumably, you would still have all of your natural abilities.

Destro_Yersul
2008-02-03, 03:34 AM
Not to mention access to genetic engineering tech, allowing the use of all the editors up to this point. IE: make whatever kind of creatures you want because you can.

Doglord
2008-02-03, 07:44 AM
It looks like an awesome game, but by the time it is released it will likely be compatable with most wrist watches...

Tengu
2008-02-03, 08:02 AM
(and I was sad they did not talked about boob-like monster... :smallwink: )

You mean something like those?
http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/km/pics/kirk/boobies.jpg

Icewalker
2008-02-03, 05:44 PM
If it is poorly implemented, which I doubt from what I've seen, then we can at least take consolation from the fact that Yahtzee can gleefully rip it to shreds.

Indeed. Of course, we can see that even if it is good too. :smallwink:

Ronsian
2008-02-03, 06:03 PM
Yeah, it would really suck if the actual game is bad. Waiting several years and many delays, for a piece of crap game? That would be just eeee-vil. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that it will suck. Until you buy the next three expansions (Buy more items for your carnivarious animals! A couch! Hot Dates! Vacations!). I don't like EA very much, but, depending on how the reviews go, I'll probably get it.

ShadowSiege
2008-02-03, 06:07 PM
EA came out and said that the analysis was a bunch of garbage. Which is exactly what I said when I heard about it. The game has been pretty much complete except for the bajillion hours of testing it has been going through.

Still looking at a Spring 08 release. And thank goodness it isn't a Peter Molyneaux game. That guy sucks, too much hype, too little delivery.

Trazoi
2008-02-04, 02:30 AM
The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that it will suck. Until you buy the next three expansions (Buy more items for your carnivarious animals! A couch! Hot Dates! Vacations!).
To be fair to Will Wright, the plain vanilla Sims and Sims 2 are great, well designed games. To my knowledge I don't think he was involved with the expansion packs which kept both breaking the original design and milking it for all it was worth (The Sims: Makin' Magic? :smallconfused:)

Because it's Wright making these claims (instead of, say, Molyneux) I'm going to assume it's at the very least a decent game. Although I'm going to wait for the first few reviews just in case.

spocko
2008-02-04, 03:19 AM
been looking forward to this for what 2 years now? can't wait for them to finish. i'll probably have to upgrade the PC before i can play it though :smallfrown:

Destro_Yersul
2008-02-04, 03:52 AM
Tell me about it. I'm saving money specifically to buy a new graphics card as soon as I find out the Spore system requirements. Of course, if they include Vista I'm regrettably going to have to take my money elsewhere, because not even for Spore will I subject my computer to that.

bluish_wolf
2008-02-04, 05:11 PM
been looking forward to this for what 2 years now? can't wait for them to finish. i'll probably have to upgrade the PC before i can play it though :smallfrown:

Weren't they saying something to the effect that the requirements would be really low?