PDA

View Full Version : What convinced them to do that?

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-26, 12:22 PM
What do you think were stupid things to do.

1) Wolverine and the angel of death.
2) How they reacted to M-day.

W Herzog Zwei
2008-01-26, 12:36 PM
Hard drugs. Truckloads of hard drugs.

I really can't understand this Angel of Death thing - it flies against everything that Wolverine is, here we have this brawler, this down to earth tough-guy who tries to walk the line between his beastial side and the honourable warrior he has built in himself. All very down to earth concepts when you strip the superheroic stuff of healing power, claws, super soldier programs and prolonged life. At his core Wolverine is very close to pulp-heroes of the seventies/eighties - down to earth tough-guy with some supernatural additions.

I've been long annoyed by the rising unkillability of Wolverine (remember the days when lord Shingen beat Logan half dead with only a wooden sword) caused by his popularity - but I think this angel of death bit (which I haven't read, and as you folks might know thought was some in-joke on these boards before someone enlightened me) goes way too much overboard. I mean it's not just plain silly (it is), but it is quite possibly the most unfitting thing ever imagined for this character.

Wolvie should have been the guy who is outmatched by high-level supers, but cause he's so damn tough and so damn unable to quit, he can overcome. Oh well, what is done is done, but I feel this stuff throws an ugly shadow on the earlier stories with more killable Wolverine.

Anyway, time to step off my soapbox, my explanation for this is Hard Drugs.

North
2008-01-26, 04:15 PM
Actually the interesting thing is at the end of the Angel of Death arc. Wolverine has been missing a piece of his soul since the hand ressurected him. Angel of Death fixed it for him, but told him that the whole him coming back form the dead wont be happening any more. From Wolvies monologue at the end, it sounds like his healing fact inot as insane as well.

It might even last two months!

feghoot
2008-01-26, 04:16 PM
1)I thought the angel of death thing was pretty funny.
2)M-day in its self was a bad idea.
3)Wolverine and the X-Men I mean come on, wouldn't "The New" or "The Uncanny X-men" be just as good a name?

North
2008-01-26, 05:01 PM
1)I thought the angel of death thing was pretty funny.
2)M-day in its self was a bad idea.
3)Wolverine and the X-Men I mean come on, wouldn't "The New" or "The Uncanny X-men" be just as good a name?

Wolverine and the X Men..... please tell me your joking....

Closet_Skeleton
2008-01-26, 06:05 PM
The angel of death thing was a fix. It was supposed to make Wolverine return to the days before he could come back from a skeleton (didn't he get reduced to a skeleton and not come back in Days of Future past or am I just thinking of the cartoon) and make him more down to earth.

It's a stupid "a wizard did it" fix but if it helps the comic in the future it may have been worthwhile.

But then again, One More Day is essentially the same thing on a larger scale and that shouldn't have happened.

feghoot
2008-01-26, 06:31 PM
Wolverine and the X Men..... please tell me your joking....

Nope, thats the name of the new tv show (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0772145/)

North
2008-01-26, 07:02 PM
Ugh.. Thats vile.....

SnowballMan
2008-01-26, 09:20 PM
The angel of death thing was a fix. It was supposed to make Wolverine return to the days before he could come back from a skeleton ...

Off on a tangent here, but that just made me think of a parody comic where the DC villians had come to the Marvel Universe. At one point a giant gorilla (forgot his name) literally rips off Wolverines skin off (slides it off really, supposed to be amusing not graphic). When some woman starts freaking out that he just killed Marvel's cash cow, the gorilla replied, "Nah, I just gave his healing factor a challenge."

Wolfprint
2008-01-27, 12:02 AM
They've done a lot of strange things to Logan.

I didn't like his Angel of Death arc, and I don't like his Murasama blade. The character's origins are very much embedded in science and brainwashing and pseudo-advanced metal-bonding processes... Then there's the really odd semi-mystical part that doesn't gel with that.

Yeah, I agree that it's drugs. That'd explain One More Day too. There's a lot of wizardly hand-waving going on at Marvel these days.

W Herzog Zwei
2008-01-27, 06:24 AM
(didn't he get reduced to a skeleton and not come back in Days of Future past or am I just thinking of the cartoon)

Yeah, he got vapourized mid-air by a sentinel in the original DoFP story.