PDA

View Full Version : How to play a large PC?

Boodi
2008-01-27, 07:05 AM
Hello,

I'm interesting in playing a large character (without using enlarge person or other such spells).
Are there any races/templates that would let me become large. Something like half-minotaur but not in a dragon magazine?

Also, which one would allow me to be large and not lose a lot of class levels.

Thanks in advance.

Lolzords
2008-01-27, 07:09 AM
Hello,

I'm interesting in playing a large character (without using enlarge person or other such spells).
Are there any races/templates that would let me become large. Something like half-minotaur but not in a dragon magazine?

Also, which one would allow me to be large and not lose a lot of class levels.

Thanks in advance.

Found this while googling "half ogre", don't know if it's WOTC or if it's what your looking for but you might want it.

Half-Ogre Racial Traits:

+4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -4 Intelligence, -2 Charisma, -2 Dexterity.
Large: Half-ogres are Large-sized creatures. They suffer a –1 size penalty to their armor class and to attack rolls, and a –4 size penalty to Hide checks. Their lifting and carrying capacities are increased by one-quarter over that of Medium-sized creatures. All armor costs twice as much as normal for them, and weighs twice as much due to their size and shape. Lastly, their Large size gives them an extra 5’ of reach beyond Medium-sized creatures.
Half-ogre base speed is 30 feet (6 boxes).
Low-Light Vision: Half-ogres can see twice as far as normal in dim light.
Darkvision: Half-ogres may see in total darkness up to a range of 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only.
Half-ogres automatically begin with two free ranks in the spoken ogrish language and one rank in the common tongue, or one rank in ogre and two in the common tongue, depending on their background.
Preferred Class: Barbarian
Allowed Classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Priest, Rogue, Witch.
Height: 6’ 10" + 2d6 inches (average 7’ 5").
Weight: 250 lbs. + (the 2d6 above for height * 3d6) (average 324 lbs).

AslanCross
2008-01-27, 07:23 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants

Although half giants are a psionic race, they don't have to be. There's also the Goliath, which has the same Powerful Build ability. They're actually medium-sized, but count as Large creatures for the purpose of weapons and penalties and such.

And yes, Half-Ogre is an official WOTC class. Its most updated version appears in Races of Destiny.

Iku Rex
2008-01-27, 07:23 AM
The official half-ogre is in Races of Destiny and Savage Species. Basics: +6 Str, –2 Dex, +2 Con, –2 Int, –2 Cha, FC: Barbarian, Large Size, 30’ Movement, Darkvision 60’, +4 Natural Armor bonus to AC, LA +2

You can look for other races in the general race index file at Crystal Keep (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php).

Boodi
2008-01-27, 07:34 AM
Half-ogre is exactly what I'm looking for thanks!
Thanks to all the others who suggested powerful build but I'm looking to enter the war hulk prestige class which requires large size.

#Raptor
2008-01-27, 08:29 AM
Goliaths with at least 1 level in barbarian and the alternative class feature Mountain rage become large when raging. (Just large. Not large AND powerful build, that obviously goes away then.)

So if you're looking for a large race because of the reach increase, this might be another solution.

Boodi
2008-01-27, 08:41 AM
The official half-ogre is in Races of Destiny and Savage Species. Basics: +6 Str, –2 Dex, +2 Con, –2 Int, –2 Cha, FC: Barbarian, Large Size, 30’ Movement, Darkvision 60’, +4 Natural Armor bonus to AC, LA +2

Do I also gain the stat bonuses of large size?

Goliaths with at least 1 level in barbarian and the alternative class feature Mountain rage become large when raging. (Just large. Not large AND powerful build, that obviously goes away then.)

So if you're looking for a large race because of the reach increase, this might be another solution.
Sounds like a good idea but I'd lose the benefits of the PrC while not raging.

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-27, 08:43 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants

Although half giants are a psionic race, they don't have to be. There's also the Goliath, which has the same Powerful Build ability. They're actually medium-sized, but count as Large creatures for the purpose of weapons and penalties and such.

And yes, Half-Ogre is an official WOTC class. Its most updated version appears in Races of Destiny.

I thought Goliath's powerful build let them consider their size as large whenever it is advantageous. Eg: Large weapons, but no -1 hit, -1 AC.

UserClone
2008-01-27, 08:53 AM
Large only for size modifiers to rolls; NOT for purposes of PrC entry.
Edit: RE: Powerful Build.

Iku Rex
2008-01-27, 09:24 AM
Do I also gain the stat bonuses of large size? No, you don't.

Animefunkmaster
2008-01-27, 09:33 AM
Large only for size modifiers to rolls; NOT for purposes of PrC entry.
Edit: RE: Powerful Build.

I am not sure about this, since it can be used for feat pre reqs.

daggaz
2008-01-27, 06:44 PM
for monsters, the stat bonuses for size are included in their stat block. For PC races, you only get the bonuses listed, and if you are actual large sized, it is going to COST you in LA.. Keep in mind as well, that powerful build does not give you reach, which is the most important bonus to being large sized.

RTGoodman
2008-01-27, 07:15 PM
I am not sure about this, since it can be used for feat pre reqs.

But only for specific feats (that say, "Goliaths qualify by virtue of their powerful build racial trait" or something like that), and all of those (as far as I know) are in Races of Stone.

Prometheus
2008-01-27, 08:56 PM
Also consider Permanency -> Enlarge.

Lizardfolk Lich
2008-01-27, 09:17 PM
Good luck with doors...

Danin
2008-01-27, 11:12 PM
I once played a Centaur Barbarian and it wasn't all that akward getting around. The DM wasn't too accomodating either. Just remember that large people weight a lot (I was nearly 3000lb, walked onto a wooden platoform without thinking. Wasn't the enterance I was hoping for).

Farmer42
2008-01-27, 11:23 PM
Weight is going to be your biggest enemy. Doorways and all aren't too bad. You can still take up smaller than a 10' square, you're just at penalties in combat. Otherwise, just be careful not to knock your head and watch out or weak floors.