PDA

View Full Version : Funniest southern accent ever

EvilElitest
2008-01-27, 02:20 PM
People of the southern united states (or anyone else with our accents) i know we've had to suffer people mocking our manner of talking. All other Americans (with the exception of New York) do not posses accents as cool as our and often mock us with awful imitations of souther accents in many films (though De-Val from Thank you from smocking was great)

However, i think i have found the funniest southern accent ever,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-ne93Ve1Ck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHyQvVFCJgw

I've traveled all over the south and i've never seen anything like that (I"m from north Carolina), does this exist? Its funny, because he is possible my favorite characters because of that absurd accent. Also have you seen any other absurd southern accents. Don't post accents that are trying to mocking, only post ones that are really trying to serous characters

Also really good actors with southern accents (real or fake) can be posted as well

At least have a good laugh at the accent, and try to imagine people talking like that really

Also could those absurd weapons work? Any why didn't the ninjas attack mr. absurd hair
Enjoy

From
EE

Edit
This also applies to non native speakers trying to inmate any accent in film, for example Americans trying (and failing) to imitate an english accent.
as long as it isn't on purpose
Should this go into media sections?
from
EE

Sneak
2008-01-27, 02:46 PM
Um...is there supposed to be a video there? You just posted a link to YouTube. :smallconfused:

Midnight Son
2008-01-27, 02:49 PM
Um...is there supposed to be a video there? You just posted a link to YouTube. :smallconfused:
I just looked up "Southern Accent" and listened to a bunch of them. They all sounded funny to me.:smalltongue:

Jack Squat
2008-01-27, 03:26 PM
I just looked up "Southern Accent" and listened to a bunch of them. They all sounded funny to me.:smalltongue:

I don't even need to go onto Youtube to laugh at how people sound...I just head out to Wally World :smalltongue:

EvilElitest
2008-01-27, 03:31 PM

fixed, i don't know why that happened
from
EE

Jibar
2008-01-27, 03:35 PM
For the record, I find women with Southern accents incredibly sexy.
Especially if they have a strand of white in their hair, and have the mutant ability to steal super powers with a touch.

EvilElitest
2008-01-27, 03:51 PM
For the record, I find women with Southern accents incredibly sexy.
Especially if they have a strand of white in their hair, and have the mutant ability to steal super powers with a touch.

Eh?
from
EE

smellie_hippie
2008-01-27, 05:30 PM
Eh?
from
EE

pssssst... he meant this girl...

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/060522/15288__rogue_l.jpg

EvilElitest
2008-01-27, 05:38 PM
pssssst... he meant this girl...

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/060522/15288__rogue_l.jpg

Never heard of her
from
EE

RTGoodman
2008-01-27, 07:27 PM
As a fellow North Carolinian, I've heard my share of terrible/hilarious accents. My roommate, for instance, can't say "toilet" normally - to him, it's pronounced "terlet." Also, "water" for him is "warter," which is something he uses in the "warshing machine" to clean his clothes.

Also, does anyone else watch "King of the Hill." If you do, you know the character Boomhauer, who is basically unintelligible. I can attest that, in at least some parts of Texas, there are people who talk like that.

Raiser Blade
2008-01-27, 07:33 PM
Never heard of her
from
EE

You never saw X-Men? Tsk tsk.

EvilElitest
2008-01-27, 07:39 PM
You never saw X-Men? Tsk tsk.

I've tried my best to forget it ever was shown
from
EE

Nibleswick
2008-01-27, 07:41 PM
Now see, that isn't a southern accent, that's a western accent, I'd say rural Idaho, or Nevada. If you think your accent are bad you should hear a Utah one.

Raiser Blade
2008-01-27, 07:43 PM
I've tried my best to forget it ever was shown
from
EE

Psst you're missing a t in your title.

EvilElitest
2008-01-27, 07:43 PM
Now see, that isn't a southern accent, that's a western accent, I'd say rural Idaho, or Nevada. If you think your accent are bad you should hear a Utah one.

I've seen western accent (and yes i know about Utah's) it didn't sound like Nevada to me (i've only been in rural idaho, sounded like it had a good deal of western mixed in with some texan, do you think that actor was using a real accent or just making it up?

Psst you're missing a t in your title.
eh?

from
EE

Nibleswick
2008-01-27, 07:46 PM
Probably just making it up, and it awful. My vote is that it's an easterner trying to sound like they do in the cowboy movies.

EvilElitest
2008-01-27, 08:05 PM
Probably just making it up, and it awful. My vote is that it's an easterner trying to sound like they do in the cowboy movies.

the irony is that that dude is a Samuria type, why even bother with a cowboy voice?
from
EE

Raiser Blade
2008-01-27, 08:10 PM
I think you meant "Funniest southern accent ever" right?

EvilElitest
2008-01-27, 08:17 PM
I think you meant "Funniest southern accent ever" right?

oh thanks

Another bad accent, the street cleaner in Mary Popines had the worst English accent i've ever seen
from
EE

JessSoccer
2008-01-27, 08:39 PM
oh thanks

Another bad accent, the street cleaner in Mary Popines had the worst English accent i've ever seen
from
EE

I personally loved his accent. Bad? Yes. Hot? Also yes :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and I've got a southern accent.

And purple streaks in my hair.

But no super powers. /fail

EvilElitest
2008-01-27, 08:42 PM
I personally loved his accent. Bad? Yes. Hot? Also yes :smallbiggrin:

Hot doesn't make it good

Oh, and I've got a southern accent.

Good, what kind?

And purple streaks in my hair.

alrightdoesn't match the accent

But no super powers. /fail

you can alway dream
from
EE

Serpentine
2008-01-27, 09:46 PM
oh thanks

from
EECockney, actually. He was English, so presumably he has a pretty good English accent of some sort, but he does a terrible Cockney accent.
That girl's Rogue, by the way. Notice that she rather quickly lost that accent in the movies?

SDF
2008-01-27, 10:16 PM
Cockney, actually. He was English, so presumably he has a pretty good English accent of some sort, but he does a terrible Cockney accent.

I thought that character was played by **** Van Dyke, an American actor.

Serpentine
2008-01-27, 11:29 PM
Was he? I thought everyone in it was English, but I have a tendency to be wrong. Anyway, they all had some sort of English accent, his just happened to be particularly terrible and specifically Cockney.

Jack Squat
2008-01-27, 11:34 PM
**** Van Dyke played 2 characters in Mary Poppins, Bert and Mr. Dawes Sr.

I don't know the sweep's name, as it's been way too long since I've seen that movie though.

Telonius
2008-01-28, 09:49 AM
The craziest Southern accent I ever heard was somewhere around Blacksburg, Virginia, in a diner. The waitress was a Pittsburgh native who'd moved to Virginia about twenty years ago. The resulting accent was the weirdest, most interesting conglomeration I'd ever heard. Something like, "How y'all doin', hon?"

SDF
2008-01-28, 10:12 AM
**** Van Dyke played 2 characters in Mary Poppins, Bert and Mr. Dawes Sr.

I don't know the sweep's name, as it's been way too long since I've seen that movie though.

Thats because Bert was the chimney sweep. :P

rubakhin
2008-01-28, 10:12 AM
*mumble* The American accents of all regions are funny, in my not so humble opinion. The English language is most beautiful in a Slavic accent - just ask Nabokov or Conrad. I've all but lost mine and I really wish I hadn't. Instead I've picked up the Connecticut lower class accent (which seems to have blended most traits of NYC and Boston accents, to give you a comparison). The other day I was in an argument over how much water to use when making tea and somebody imitated my voice as such:

"EY! Whaddafrick iz up wid dis? Twenny pahcent wadda, eighddy pahcent air! Dis bull****!"

:smallsigh:

EvilElitest
2008-01-28, 10:49 AM
The craziest Southern accent I ever heard was somewhere around Blacksburg, Virginia, in a diner. The waitress was a Pittsburgh native who'd moved to Virginia about twenty years ago. The resulting accent was the weirdest, most interesting conglomeration I'd ever heard. Something like, "How y'all doin', hon?"

My accent is a combination of a North Carletonian and Brooklin, so nobody ever really knows what i'm talking about
from
EE

Jibar
2008-01-28, 11:19 AM
That girl's Rogue, by the way. Notice that she rather quickly lost that accent in the movies?

I know. it saddens me.
At least I still got the cartoons.

I thought that character was played by **** Van Dyke, an American actor.

Hey, as much as we'd like to claim him, Dyke is American and his cockney is terrible on new levels.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-28, 12:11 PM
Meh, don't care what anyone says, english with an irish accent is about as hot as they come.

Btw, I'm from the heart of dixie here and I... don't particularly have an accent. Now I do use southern slang as much as anyone else, y'all's and suchlike, but thats about it.

Now my Grandfather's can get pretty thick, and even my mom often uses the more horrible southern pronunciations of words, but I never seemed to pick up on that.

Lyesmith
2008-01-28, 01:16 PM
Odd. Americans seem to love hte irish accent, a lot of american freinds have said it's really hot.

What's odder is, scotsmen are hugely popular on the continent. Time to work on my accent, mebbes?:smallwink:

JessSoccer
2008-01-28, 06:42 PM
Meh, don't care what anyone says, english with an irish accent is about as hot as they come.

/agree

Thats one of my things though, I'm a real sucker for a guy with any kind of accent :)

EvilElitest
2008-01-29, 10:00 PM
/agree

Thats one of my things though, I'm a real sucker for a guy with any kind of accent :)

Well that is very interesting, we should talk more

This is said in a perfect North Carolinian accent

Anyways, do any other southerns want to comment on that guys accent in the movie? And would those weapons even work?
from
EE

ForzaFiori
2008-01-29, 10:08 PM
one of my friends has the thickest southern accent i have EVER heard when she gets mad or is talking to her family. She's from rural georgia originally, and she manages to take ANY word in the english language and add a syllable to it.
hell, she turned hide into 3 syllables one time.

AmberVael
2008-01-29, 10:28 PM
Sadly, I've heard accents pretty similar. They're just missing the right twang to it...

Or, as we'd say in the south:
"It ain't gawt tha raight twaaang too it!" :smallwink:

I think the most pronounced southern accent I've ever heard was actually used by a woman who was originally from england. :smalltongue:
She's far worse than any of my family- and when her relatives would come to visit there was always a highly amusing contrast between the way they spoke.

EvilElitest
2008-01-29, 10:33 PM
one of my friends has the thickest southern accent i have EVER heard when she gets mad or is talking to her family. She's from rural georgia originally, and she manages to take ANY word in the english language and add a syllable to it.
hell, she turned hide into 3 syllables one time.

HEEEEEEEE IIIIIIIIIIII DDDDDDDDDDDE?

So vael, you've heard people talk like that? Just minus the amazing southern twaang (eastern southerns tend to talk slower but have less garbled accents)
from
EE

Rogue 7
2008-01-29, 10:38 PM
On the actual subject of the video, aside from making me realize how bad the dub was and making me appreciate the manga more, I recognize the character. Cho's the Idiot from Osaka (he's most definitely from Osaka- that was a minor plot point in the arc). If I remember TV tropes correctly, they'll give this character a stereotypical accent like the southern one, as they did here. In fact...*moseys off to add the example if it's not already there*

RationalGoblin
2008-01-29, 10:41 PM

Not to be off-topic, but whats so bad about a Utahn accent? the mountain without the T, or something like that?

AmberVael
2008-01-29, 10:48 PM
HEEEEEEEE IIIIIIIIIIII DDDDDDDDDDDE?

So vael, you've heard people talk like that? Just minus the amazing southern twaang (eastern southerns tend to talk slower but have less garbled accents)
from
EE

Oh, you can get slow and garbled around here. :smallsigh:
It amazes me how people can make speech so indecipherable.

But yes, I've heard something vaguely similar... but they've definitely done a poor job.