PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Unleash The Force?

Shraik
2008-01-27, 04:11 PM
Well, Here it is people, the discussion thread for the Amazing that is "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed". Now, just to note, Its been pushed back again to the summer. Now, who do we harm?

Mando Knight
2008-01-27, 05:19 PM
I, personally, will fire deadly bolts of Force Lightning at all of the Stormtroopers as soon as I get it. And I will have it.

Don't be too proud of this delay you've constructed. The power to annoy gamers is nothing compared to the power of the Force.

Geno9999
2008-01-28, 10:26 PM
Don't be too proud of this delay you've constructed. The power to annoy gamers is nothing compared to the power of the Force.
Don't preach to me about your sad religion when you fail to produce the missing Game Disk... *cough, gag, lung crushed, falls on the keyboard* X__X

Blayze
2008-01-29, 09:00 AM
Until this game is fully completed, we are vulnerable.

Long have I waited for a chance to wipe out Stormtroopers left, right and centre. Their inability to shoot straight MUST be punished.

Attilargh
2008-01-29, 10:50 AM
Don't preach to me about your sad religion when you fail to produce the missing Game Disk... *cough, gag, lung crushed, falls on the keyboard* X__X
I find your lack of original conversation disturb- *gack*

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/excessive_quotation.png (http://xkcd.com/307/)

Closet_Skeleton
2008-01-29, 11:05 AM
Until this game is fully completed, we are vulnerable.

Long have I waited for a chance to wipe out Stormtroopers left, right and centre. Their inability to shoot straight MUST be punished.

Dark Forces?

Mando Knight
2008-01-29, 12:24 PM
Dark Forces?

Yes, but you can only do the same game so many times before you want to get the latest and greatest...

Jibar
2008-01-29, 12:32 PM
I've got only one problem with this game.
Why am I dark side?
Jibar is light side baby, light side.
I also want two lightsabers, not one, but one issue at a time.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-01-29, 01:15 PM
Why am I dark side?

You have to start dark side, but it's pretty much given that you can end up redeemed (there's a Star Wars Minatures figure for "Vadar's Apprentice Redeemed). Whether there's a dark side option where you don't get redeemed waits to be seen.

Personally I think that starting out dark side and then giving you the option to turn good is a good fresh idea. It's not something I'd want to see in every Star Wars game but it hasn't been used before (closest would be Tie Fighter where, shock horror, you can't defect and join the rebellion but have to serve the empire for the whole game).

This isn't an RPG where you get to create your PC from scratch. I wouldn't be surprised if there was or wasn't an option to dual-wield.

Mando Knight
2008-01-29, 01:20 PM
Why am I dark side?

Apparently you start out Dark Side and completely incapable of dealing with the fact that his pilot is a chick. Then you get a little more comfortable around her, meet a few Jedi, and can turn against your master. However, I don't know how he'll escape from Vader's Wrath once he turns...

Maybe you'll get to obtain a second lightsaber somewhere along the way, JK Academy-style?

Jibar
2008-01-29, 01:30 PM
You have to start dark side, but it's pretty much given that you can end up redeemed (there's a Star Wars Minatures figure for "Vadar's Apprentice Redeemed). Whether there's a dark side option where you don't get redeemed waits to be seen.

Personally I think that starting out dark side and then giving you the option to turn good is a good fresh idea. It's not something I'd want to see in every Star Wars game but it hasn't been used before (closest would be Tie Fighter where, shock horror, you can't defect and join the rebellion but have to serve the empire for the whole game).

This isn't an RPG where you get to create your PC from scratch. I wouldn't be surprised if there was or wasn't an option to dual-wield.

Provided I can in fact turn light side, then fine, I'm good with starting dark side.

I think it may be because of KoToR, but I think Star Wars has reached that point where railroad stories don't work. It's so huge now, with frankly frightening amounts of lore, that only being given so much just doesn't seem right.
Star Wars needs freedom. It needs a much greater level of customisation, to let the player truly embrace the scope of it.
KoToR almost had it down, with the level they had, but things like restrictive plots and exploration possibilities, plus restricted classes and races let it down.
The Force Unleashed looks like it's really going to let you explore what the force must feel like, the level of power a Sith must feel. But there's just a fraction of Star Wars there.
You took this, applied it to that rumoured Bioware MMORPG, and actually made non-Jedi's capable in combat, then that would be as good as a Star Wars game could ever be.

Mando Knight
2008-01-29, 02:01 PM
The Force Unleashed looks like it's really going to let you explore what the force must feel like, the level of power a Sith must feel. But there's just a fraction of Star Wars there.
You took this, applied it to that rumoured Bioware MMORPG, and actually made non-Jedi's capable in combat, then that would be as good as a Star Wars game could ever be.

So you want Bioware to make a Star Wars game with Saga Edition-esque balance (Soldiers can actually fight Jedi) and Force Unleashed's "Uber-Force?" Sweet.:smallbiggrin:

Om
2008-01-29, 05:31 PM
Personally I think that starting out dark side and then giving you the option to turn good is a good fresh idea. It's not something I'd want to see in every Star Wars game but it hasn't been used before (closest would be Tie Fighter where, shock horror, you can't defect and join the rebellion but have to serve the empire for the whole game)See Force Commander. IIRC there were a few games out around the same time that used the same mechanic/trope

The Force Unleashed looks like it's really going to let you explore what the force must feel like, the level of power a Sith must feel. But there's just a fraction of Star Wars there.How do you maintain your optimism? My bet is that the "exploring what the force might feel like" will translate as "cheap mechanic primarily used to solve puzzles". I saw my sister play some Harry Potter game on the Wii the other day and it had a similar manipulation mechanic

Attilargh
2008-01-30, 10:38 AM
I'm just waiting for a chance to drag a Star Destroyer to the ground and then flip out and kill lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of people (and lots, I guess) with the Force (and lots). (Wait, what?)

Premsyl
2008-01-30, 08:13 PM
However, I don't know how he'll escape from Vader's Wrath once he turns...

Seems to me as if he doesn't, considering this game is his saga debut and no mention is made of Vader's former apprentice in any films/novels iirc. Maybe they'll swing it different, right? After all, Lucas ignored a lot of syndicated Star Wars(tm) literature when he made his prequels. Who's to say they won't again spread their all-powerful influence, and re-write canon?

Mando Knight
2008-01-30, 11:02 PM
Seems to me as if he doesn't, considering this game is his saga debut and no mention is made of Vader's former apprentice in any films/novels iirc. Maybe they'll swing it different, right? After all, Lucas ignored a lot of syndicated Star Wars(tm) literature when he made his prequels. Who's to say they won't again spread their all-powerful influence, and re-write canon?

I was thinking from the gaming standpoint... I mean, having your main character die in the end... kinda sucks.

Culwch
2008-02-01, 05:46 PM
No it doesn't!

Well, depending on how it's been executed. (pardon the pun)

For example,
If I remember correctly my Planescape: Torment, the hero could absorb all his other selves peacefully (restoring his mortality), then die finally and become damned to fight in the Blood Wars.

It is similar with Spartans (the Greek ones, not HALO's) - even though you know they die by the end, you can still enjoy the way the story unfolds.

The player has to know that he's successfully fullfilled his destiny. Orchestrated events that will forever leave his mark on the history of the universe.

Besides, Jedi don't die, they join with the Force. Ascend.

Malic
2008-02-02, 10:15 AM
No...No...Noooo! Not another Star Wars Game. Why?!?!?! But all seriousess aside it dose look like it can be good. Along with Kotor and Battlefront.

EDIT: And lego star wars. Those are fun too.

Geno9999
2008-02-02, 04:58 PM
No...No...Noooo! Not another Star Wars Game. Why?!?!?!
:smallconfused:
Hey you're lucky it wasn't say, another Megaman game. those must be coming out of their ears
The way the apprentice holds his lightsaber is interesting... I wonder you can get a blue lightsaber when you go light side.

Mando Knight
2008-02-02, 04:59 PM
All seriousness aside? The Force Unleashed is going to be one of the best Star Wars games ever... you will never see Vader the same way again...

Apprentice: "Vader, I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
Vader: "You have failed me for the LAST TIME."

The Apprentice begins floating five feet into the air, grabbing at his throat... Vader then hurls about 30 random objects at him at once, then throws him outside the Star Destroyer... while slashing him a couple thousand times with both his and the Apprentice's lightsabers...

...even if that doesn't happen, I'm sure that Force Unleashed will make Vader powerful enough that Revan will look like a little kitty in comparison...

EDIT: No, Geno. Your lightside saber will be green, as shown in the Force Unleashed Miniatures (http://www.wizards.com/swminis/swminis_autocard.asp?id=vaders_apprentice_redeemed&set=FU).

Sequinox
2008-02-05, 07:45 PM
I was thinking from the gaming standpoint... I mean, having your main character die in the end... kinda sucks.

FFX? But I guess that might not count cuz of X-2...

Runar
2008-02-05, 07:52 PM
I have wanted this game since the first reports of it came out. Just the fact that you can throw stuff at people, and they die easily is something I wanted in KOTOR, so this might improve on the force in that.

And your character is dark side because dark side is more awesome. Would you rather jump high and push people, or choke them and shoot lightning out of your hands?