PDA

View Full Version : The Order Of The Stick: March

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Starbuck_II
2005-03-14, 08:18 AM
Are you kidding, right? My respect for him grow up at least two sizes, not only he was able to escape all by himself but it is nice to see that he have his priorities straight. ;D

And he and Haley never make it official and with his Sense Motive you can't expetc for Elan to have caught what Haley feel for him.

Go Elan, you go playa.
Who da man, Elan da man!
See Elan needed to do something what with his girdle of feminity.(Couldn't he wear one to escape since they are looking for a male?)
So do you think Elkan will cheat on Haley?
Is Haley's love strong enough to keep Elan from straying?

bedbugsareyummy
2005-03-14, 08:30 AM
You just made it sound like a soap opera >_<
*sneak*
Chocolate and flowers...where'd he get those from?

Christian
2005-03-14, 08:33 AM
(Fortunately, I'm gay.)
Fortunately for whom? ;)

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-03-14, 09:23 AM
Hurray! Elan finnaly got a good roll on his "Move Silently Check." Of course his boots of elven kind probably helped a lot. Add Elan getting the flowers and chocolates from his local "plot device vending machine" and you have another classic OOTS comic.

Kaerou
2005-03-14, 09:43 AM
Awesome comic ^_^ made me laugh!

sneak sneak sneak sneak =)

... They're the elveniest boots ever!

... Who bets Samantha is the succubi? ;)

Janitor
2005-03-14, 10:28 AM
That comic was awesome, I've been waiting to see what Elan was up to, and it did not disappoint. Very funny, it had me going when the sign said "Definately NOT a Bandit Camp."

GeekDaddy
2005-03-14, 11:00 AM
Of COURSE you stay and seduce the bandit queen! I mean, really! What else would Douglas Fairbanks do? Or Kirk Douglas? Or Burt Lancaster? You HAVE to, nay, you are cinematically OBLIGED to stay and seduce the Bandit Queen!

As for Samantha the Fox... The Fox was the name of the bandit leader in the Danny Kaye movie "The Court Jester" (you know, the one with the "The vessle with the pestle is the flagon with the dragon," nonsense in it). And since we are conjecturing that Samantha is Haley's long-lost identical twin sister... And since Danny Kaye was a redhead... that just proves it! Haley's dad is Danny Kaye!

Ta-da!

Wren
2005-03-14, 11:51 AM
Yay, Elan's high charisma may go to good use now.

Edalmri
2005-03-14, 11:58 AM
Intimidating weak(minded) goblin teenagers isn't a good use?

Knight13
2005-03-14, 12:58 PM
that wasn't intimidation so much as blackmail. Elan threatened to cry unless the goblin did what he wanted.

Old_Man
2005-03-14, 01:10 PM
Elan and Samantha the Fox will do a duet of "I Wanna Have Some Fun"

Joelathon
2005-03-14, 01:49 PM
... I'm disappointed in Elan. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but he needs to start thinking ahead. What if she doesn't like flowers? Or worse, if she's one of those poor, lost souls who's allergic to chocolate? *shudders* He needs a backup plan, concert tickets or something.

AtomicKitKat
2005-03-14, 02:46 PM
I thought the Samantha the Fox reference was about someone famous(seems images.google.com produced some NSFW/K images...), although the search didn't produce the one I had in mind.

Edit: Nope, it IS the one I was thinking of. British singer/model.

Knight13
2005-03-14, 04:28 PM
You'd think the guards would have been alerted by the loud sneaking noises Elan is making.

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-14, 04:37 PM
Why was he wearing boots? Did he steal someone's boots? Or was that just Rich's way of showing that he didn't have any sheos on before, and know he does?

AtomicKitKat
2005-03-14, 04:48 PM
Why was he wearing boots? Did he steal someone's boots? Or was that just Rich's way of showing that he didn't have any sheos on before, and know he does?

Boots of Elvenkind, divvied up from Xykon's loot.

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-14, 04:53 PM
D'oh! I knew I should have looked back and seen what treasure Elan got...Thanks AKK

Porter
2005-03-14, 05:19 PM
I agree with the other posts saying Elan HAS TO do something about the foxy lady. I mean, every game I have played that had a beatiful woman in it, my falling for the womans looks led to horrible horrible things, but come on, the path still has to be taken.

cyberkitten
2005-03-14, 08:15 PM
I agree. He's gotta do something with her,
but I have one other thing I want to see Elan do something with even more. ;)

Anyone remember the belt of masculenity femininity?

;) Cyberkitten ;)

Lilly
2005-03-14, 08:28 PM
Oh no, no! This is bad! Maybe he just got the flowers and choclates to leave and lead this Sam on. Or is he that dense and desperate? And I can see Haley's look now. It's kinda pathetic looking, but she will deny any wanting of Elan.

As soon as I read it I thought she must be related to Haley. Really she has to be.

Arian
2005-03-14, 09:34 PM
Grey Watcher: Fortunately, I'm gay.

Fortunately for whom? ;)

Well, for the guy he's seeing, of course! :)

"Oh damn, my boyfriend just discovered that he's actually straight."

Porter
2005-03-14, 11:08 PM
I wonder what kind of spell Elan used to free himself from the ropes. Also, wonder if he has silent spell, or possibly levels of other spellcasters. I would not think so though, because of the way he was talking earlier about wanting to multiclass, it sounded like he was a pure bard.

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-14, 11:10 PM
Bard spells cannot be used in conjunction with the Silent Spell Metamagic Feat. So Sayeth the Mighty Core Books.

Porter
2005-03-14, 11:27 PM
Bard spells cannot be used in conjunction with the Silent Spell Metamagic Feat. So Sayeth the Mighty Core Books.

I did not know that. But then, I have never played a bard. Thank you The Roaming Gnome for clearing up my mistake.

Hydro
2005-03-15, 06:30 AM
Awesome. One of the better strips to date. ^_^

Fire_Wolf
2005-03-15, 08:12 AM
As alawys, the comedy is brilliant.

I must commend the Giant on some great art in this one, though. Even though it's not spoiling the style or the accepted "platform"-style viewing angles, the second frame is quite cleverly done. I wouldn't've thought you could look out from a tent in this style.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-03-15, 09:31 AM
Well since everyone thinks Sam is Haley's bizarro twin, the Giant is going to change that little piece and make them completely unrelated.

GeekDaddy
2005-03-15, 11:38 AM
Wow! You really gotta hand it to rich! I've only been a member here for a few months and I have seen so many "Great! Now Rich is gonna read this and have to change it" postings that my respect for the man's creative genius has just increased exponentially!

I mean, really. To hear (read) some of these posters here tell it, he's running around in a constant state of frenzy like some manic juggler trying to keep 20 plates spinning on sticks all at the same time due to always having to change the story line so as not to accidentally use someone else's idea. Either that or he has this humongous, spiderweb-looking story line matrix drawn up on his wall of all the possible ways each story can develop off of his main idea just in case someone puts the kibosh on his plans by a well intentioned but misguided "I bet this is what happens next" post. Especially if this latter is true, kudos to Rich for creating ahead of time the nearly infinate possibilities, "just in case."

Kind of reminds me of what an old college professor of mine joked about. She said, "God really had planned to end the world a long time ago, but since there's always some joker walking around with a sign saying 'THE WORLD WILL END TOMORROW,' He keeps having to push back the date since, as it says in the Bible, no one but God knows when it will happen."

Then again, maybe we should just give Rich (and God?) a little bit more credit?

RawBearNYC
2005-03-15, 02:32 PM
Then again, maybe we should just give Rich (and God?) a little bit more credit?
I'll thank you not to deify Rich, he's intolerable enough as it is.

SumGuy
2005-03-15, 03:06 PM
As alawys, the comedy is brilliant.

I must commend the Giant on some great art in this one, though. Even though it's not spoiling the style or the accepted "platform"-style viewing angles, the second frame is quite cleverly done. I wouldn't've thought you could look out from a tent in this style.

I was very afraid that after leaving the dungeon, the backgrounds of the comic wouldn't look as good. I'm very happy I was wrong; the art is getting better and better with every stip. Congrats Rich.

Well since everyone thinks Sam is Haley's bizarro twin, the Giant is going to change that little piece and make them completely unrelated.

umm...I hate to burst this bubble, but it says here:
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=131
That Haley is the only living relative of her father. That seems to rule out any siblings.

Edalmri
2005-03-15, 03:10 PM
She could be Haley's long lost, presumed dead by everyone because she's been gone so long, sister. It's been done before.

Dire_Weasel
2005-03-15, 03:18 PM
A bard can't cast spells silently, and according to the DM guide an assassin casts spells just like bards do. Does that mean that assassins have to be loud about casting their spells? ???

Sundog
2005-03-15, 03:43 PM
I'll thank you not to deify Rich, he's intolerable enough as it is.

You can't Deify Rich. I already did that in the "God help me" thread!

Zherog
2005-03-15, 04:31 PM
A bard can't cast spells silently, and according to the DM guide an assassin casts spells just like bards do. Does that mean that assassins have to be loud about casting their spells? ???

Oooh - that's very interesting. I don't have a good answer to that one...

Techonce
2005-03-15, 05:33 PM
Oooh - that's very interesting. I don't have a good answer to that one...

I always took that to be meaning that they don't memorize. It ould be kinda sucky if an assissin couldn't cast silent spells.

*sneak* *sneak* "DARKVISION" *sneak* *sneak* "DETECT MAGIC"

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-15, 06:40 PM
I seriously doubt that assassins need to make noise to cast spells...I think WotC didn't use sorcerers as an example because they wanted to make it clear that assassins can cast in armor.

AtomicKitKat
2005-03-15, 08:53 PM
I always took that to be meaning that they don't memorize. It ould be kinda sucky if an assissin couldn't cast silent spells.

*sneak* *sneak* "DARKVISION" *sneak* *sneak* "DETECT MAGIC"

You're right about that. Lower down on that page, it mentions the whole trading in of spells known, which is EXACTLY like the sorceror/bard section.

Zherog
2005-03-15, 09:14 PM
Maybe it's not what they meant but it damn well seems to be what the rules say.

Wanderer
2005-03-15, 11:39 PM
Then go tell them about it, and maybe they'll fix it. They've got some sort of online place where they post corrections to the core books, as I recall. My DM and a few others in my group would look stuff up there.

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-15, 11:40 PM
The Wizards board should work, or you can email them directly

Annon
2005-03-16, 01:57 AM
Back on a subject mentioned before--how did Elan cast that spell without making noise? He is a bard, and last I looked subvocal casting isn't around anymore. . .

Nikolai_II
2005-03-16, 02:45 AM
Back on a subject mentioned before--how did Elan cast that spell without making noise? He is a bard, and last I looked subvocal casting isn't around anymore. . .

Mayhaps it was just an escape artist check?

The glow might then come from his cherished possession, the Ring of Escape Artist +5 :D

Edalmri
2005-03-16, 10:10 AM
Or perhaps his equally cherished but less known Ring of Convenient Silence?

Peldor
2005-03-16, 10:57 AM
So who else checked today just to make sure Rich didn't start the 3/week already? :)

Zherog
2005-03-16, 11:08 AM
So who else checked today just to make sure Rich didn't start the 3/week already? :)

* raises his hand :-[ *

SumGuy
2005-03-16, 11:15 AM

I'm sure that there will be some sort of announcement on the homepage when that glorious day draws near.

In the meantime lets all try to be patient, Rich is surely a very busy kind of giant...

AtomicKitKat
2005-03-16, 11:40 AM

You guys are slow, I've been doing that since March started. ;D

Edalmri
2005-03-16, 12:00 PM
I haven't been but that's because I entirely forgot about it. :-[

Techonce
2005-03-16, 12:16 PM
I checked...

Really I need him to post Mon Tues Fri.

Mon: OotS, Dork Tower
Tues: Nothing
Wed: OotS(future), Dork Tower
Thurs: OotS(now), Nodwick, FFN
Fri: OotS(Future), Fuzzy Knights, Dork Tower

BTW, OotS is one of the most consistent posters of comics. No comments about the others. (okay Nodwick is consistent too)

I need something to fill Tuesday. if not Stick, any suggestions?

Edalmri
2005-03-16, 12:18 PM
I read 8BT and Legostar Galactica on tuesdays, you can try those.

Andorax
2005-03-16, 12:52 PM
It's quite possible he didn't cast silently, but the guards were so busy arguing that they failed their listen checks.

As for other comics...I'm a big fan of Dominic Deegan:

http://www.dominic-deegan.com/

And that one's a daily.

Grey Watcher
2005-03-16, 01:23 PM

At the risk of dragging this thread further off topic.

www.squidi.net updates every weekday.

Tharivol
2005-03-16, 01:25 PM
As for other comics...I'm a big fan of Dominic Deegan:

http://www.dominic-deegan.com/

And that one's a daily.
Yes, me too. I started reading it after the Giant linked to it... when was that? Last Monday? I read the whole archive on whatever day that was.

Techonce
2005-03-16, 01:37 PM
Thanks alot. Now I'm never going to get any work done. Still doesn't solve my problem with Tuesday being lighter than the other days, but now I have another daily to read. (I also read Least I could do, but didn't include it since it isn't roleplaying related)

Myabe I should just create my own comic. Oops nope. I have no artistic ability unless I started the first comic ever drawn in AutoCAD... sounds like too much work. I'll leave it to people with real talent.

Nikolai_II
2005-03-16, 02:53 PM
Thanks alot. Now I'm never going to get any work done. Still doesn't solve my problem with Tuesday being lighter than the other days, but now I have another daily to read. (I also read Least I could do, but didn't include it since it isn't roleplaying related)

I only follow some fourty webcomics with varying regularity.

PvP, Wapsi Square, Irregular Webcomics, Fuzzy Knights of the Dinner Table and Questionable Content are a few of the better ones not yet mentioned.

(And Bruno the Bandit, and WTF, and Dungeons & Dorks, and Dungeoncrawl Inc, and Gods of Arr-Kelaan and Spells & Whistles and Angel Moxie and Order of the .. erm..)

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-16, 04:27 PM
I love how this topic dirfts on tuesday and wednesday (also on the weekends, though not so much)

Well, once we get three a week Sticky goodness, it won't be much of a problem

Porter
2005-03-16, 04:35 PM
I really like Player VS Player (a.k.a. PVP) It posts everyday, even weekends. http://www.pvponline.com/ You might not be able to follow the story line right away, but even withought storyline humor, they are still worth a laugh or two ussually.

Dire_Weasel
2005-03-16, 05:22 PM
I will third PvP and second irregularwebcomic.net.

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-16, 05:26 PM
And I will second us getting back on topic...

Porter
2005-03-16, 06:16 PM
I will third PvP

Oh, someone mentioned PVP already? I must have missed that.

Edalmri
2005-03-16, 06:21 PM
And I will second us getting back on topic...

Don't worry about it, I predict a return to topic within the next 24 hours. And if not then I blame it on the aliens and their enigmatic leader known only as Elvis.

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-16, 06:23 PM
I had always thought those pelvic swivels were a bit suspicious...

Potato_the_Great
2005-03-16, 09:23 PM
I have never been more proud of Elan than I am now.

SeanHeavyfoot
2005-03-16, 11:09 PM
Don't worry about it, I predict a return to topic within the next 24 hours. And if not then I blame it on the aliens and their enigmatic leader known only as Elvis.

Whenever I hear Elvis I think of Perfect Dark. That was a great game. I heard that microsoft was going to make a sequel but they cancelled the project.

Nikolai_II
2005-03-17, 05:09 AM
Whenever I hear Elvis I think of Perfect Dark. That was a great game. I heard that microsoft was going to make a sequel but they cancelled the project.
Perfect Dark?

Elvis was the space alien leader in ZacMcCracken and the Alien Mindbenders.. ;)

And it sure looks like Elan has gotten his mind bent, unless he is gauging the DM correctly he might be in for a pickle..

Shatteredtower
2005-03-17, 08:04 AM

You guys are slow, I've been doing that since March started. ;D

I've been checking daily for close to a year now -- the comic, at least, if not the message boards. :P

I guess I can't blame Elan for returning to face the bandit leader. A chicken's the last thing you want to be when there's a Fox nearby.

Baron
2005-03-17, 09:10 AM
A chicken's the last thing you want to be when there's a Fox nearby.

Groan........

Where's a drumkit when you need one? :P

lartinger
2005-03-17, 10:36 AM
Back on topic (somewhat) -- I have seen the grail book! My friend got it at Ubercon -- it is everything wonderful about OOTS and even more! I can't wait to get mine. ;D

The Giant
2005-03-17, 11:02 AM
Comic is late, but on it's way. Give me about an hour, and it should be up.

Frito_Butterbuns
2005-03-17, 11:03 AM
I hope my book comes today or tomorrow. I don't have much going on this weekend and it would be an excellent opportunity to read it.

I think Rich should always have a place holder cartoon for the upcoming strip. I suggest Belkar saying "Damn It!" because that is what I say everytime I come here and the new strip isn't there yet. :)

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-17, 11:07 AM

Its quite interesting, every single time (which has only been about three) that I'm on the computer in the morning waiting for a new strip, its late...maybe I should stop waiting, then it wouldn't be late.

Ricky
2005-03-17, 11:27 AM
It's all the gnome's fault! GET HIM!

GypsyThorn
2005-03-17, 11:34 AM

"Your visit is important to us. Your approximate wait time is 29 minutes. Please continue to hold for the next available comic." (Followed by a Muzak version of Kenny G....)

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-17, 11:37 AM
It's all the gnome's fault! GET HIM!

AHH!! Run away!!

Ferret_Dragon
2005-03-17, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I miss filler strips for when the comic is late...

They were good.

Geth
2005-03-17, 11:43 AM
I better hurry and get my 2 cents in before the new comic is posted and such the disscussion about the last one is closed [or at least ignored].

The casting of a silent animate rope spell by Elan would make sense if he had a level of sorcerer. Which would make sense seeing when Elan tried to become a wizard last level and insulted Vaar, it is unlikely that Elan had the intelligence to become a wizard.

Seeing all you need to be a sorcerer is determination and a good Charisma score, Elan could have very likely become a sorcerer in his attempt to become a wizard. Sure its assumed he just took his level as a Bard, but who says he didn't keep the other class. (well I guess Rich could, but who listen to him anyways) :P

Now this also hinges on Elan having the silent spell feat, but there is no reason a Bard cannot take silent spell, its just useless for a Bard to do so. Being a master of cross class skills, this makes perfect sense for Elan to have done that.

Well I've said my peice, bring on the comic!

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-17, 11:48 AM
Heres another cent or two onto Geth's: Yeah, it makes sense that Elan would tkae a worthless feat, maybe he just forgot that he couldn't cast spells without speaking....

Zherog
2005-03-17, 11:49 AM
Except a Silent animate rope would be a second level spell - something a first level sorcerer can't cast. ;)

Geth
2005-03-17, 11:54 AM
Grrr, your Mojo is good Zherog! >:(

Oh well,

Purple Monkey Dishwasher!

Zherog
2005-03-17, 12:25 PM

* taps his foot, looks at his watch *

* begins twitching *

* looks at watch again *

Don't you know it's cruel to withhold something from an addict? :P

Edalmri
2005-03-17, 12:28 PM
How can it be cruel when it's so fun to watch? :P

Techonce
2005-03-17, 12:29 PM
He used a very common spell called "DeMaster's Rule Fudge". Usually cast by DM's needing to move along the game in a direction they want it to go. The spell has varying versions at different levels.

Minor Rule Fudge - L0
Light Rule Fudge - L1
Moderate Rule Fudge - L2
"I Hate You Guys, It Happened this way no matter what you think" Rule Fudge - L9

Somehow Elan learned the spell and used it.

Jaqrabbit
2005-03-17, 12:59 PM
So we know whats happening so far Haley & Co., and with Elan. But what's Roy up to? Will he be shamed into coming back by the others' example, or will he have a solo adventure? How far is he really going to get with a Greatclub? How far will he get before his dad shows up to bug him?

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-17, 01:11 PM
Yay! New comic!!

Thats what I call delayed gratification, when something happens and its better because you had to wait for it!

I'm sorry we Zherog we gave you so much grief, Giant...

The Giant
Isn't it always the way that when you are late posting, your laptop decides it doesn't want to connect to the server? Grrr.

Anyway, the strip is finally up.

-------
About the books: Someone indicated hope that their book would come tomorrow. It won't. NO BOOKS HAVE SHIPPED YET. Lartinger saw the book because she knows someone who bought a copy in person at Ubercon last weekend, which was the first place I ever had the books. Book shipping will BEGIN tomorrow and continue throughout next week. Expect at least a week for the books to arrive (longer, I'd wager, for international shipments).

ObadiahtheSlim
Silly Belkar. He can't controll his homocidal instincts for 5 minutes. Guess this setback in opperation Rescue Elan will allow Elan time to woo the bandit leader Sam.

Zherog
2005-03-17, 01:15 PM
* stops twitching and sighs contentedly *

;)

I love Belkar. I especially loved the stubble on the back of his head in the first panel!

Ikkitosen
2005-03-17, 01:22 PM
I guess Belkar's only willing to take orders from someone who can beat the living snot out of him. Where's Roy when you need him, eh?

Also, did you notice that the 2 guards change handedness depending on which direction they are viewed from? The phrase "flip horizontal" springs to mind ;) :D ;D.

GypsyThorn
2005-03-17, 01:30 PM
...did you notice that the 2 guards change handedness depending on which direction they are viewed from? The phrase "flip horizontal" springs to mind ;) :D ;D.

Maybe it's not the same two guards. Perhaps there's a lot of inbreeding going on in the ("definitely not a") bandit camp.

Knight13
2005-03-17, 01:32 PM
Oh Belkar, your homicidal urges are so amusing. :D

Banjo_Buddy
2005-03-17, 01:34 PM
Hi, all. Newbie here, though I've been reading this board for a few weeks.

What I love about today's strip is that is shows that Roy is necessary for the group to succeed. (I love all the OotS members, but for different reasons.)

My only problem with today's strip--and I don't expect the Giant to do anything about this--is that I have a colour vision problem and I had real trouble discerning that the torch was lit. It looked like Belkar had found a giant wooden match somewhere.... (The flames after he set the tent on fire, those I could see fine.)

And where is Roy? Being visited by the ghost of his dead dad? Resting somewhere? Looking for the rest of the gang but during the period where they didn't exist (that is, between Haley uttering "later that day" and, well, later)? Who knows. I look forward to finding out.

Geth
2005-03-17, 01:42 PM
A good comic and I agree the stubble on Belkar's head was a nice touch. (humm, I wonder what it WOULD be like to touch Belkar's head.) * pat pat*

;D

PS- Banjo_Buddy, what kind of colour blindness do you have? the Flames on the torch are over a two colour background, so I'd think you'd see some type of difference. Mind you I do have friend who has Purple-Yellow colour blindness so he mixes up really odd colours.

Sundog
2005-03-17, 01:52 PM
I have to say, I'm with Haley. Kill Belkar, you've just doubled your chance of success...

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-17, 02:01 PM
I say leave Belkar with Durkon, have Durkon (Or V) use Owl's wisdom and then Belkar can cast support and heal spells just like Durkon

Janitor
2005-03-17, 02:14 PM
Great comic, I love Belkar's face when he says "Set a tent on fire?"

Geth
2005-03-17, 02:15 PM
I say leave Belkar with Durkon, have Durkon (Or V) use Owl's wisdom and then Belkar can cast support and heal spells just like Durkon

Well perhaps, but what would that raise Belkar's Wisdom to, about 7? I don't think he'll be casting any spells with that.

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-17, 02:17 PM
Well...back in some random numbered strip between 1 and 156, V casts Owl's wisdom on Belkar and Belkar uses a scroll.

Lemme see if I can find it...

GypsyThorn
2005-03-17, 02:20 PM
...did you notice that the 2 guards change handedness depending on which direction they are viewed from? The phrase "flip horizontal" springs to mind ;) :D ;D.

True, the guards in #156 were left-handed while the other guards in #157 were right-handed. That's because the job of guarding Elan was so important, they needed warriors who were more sinister! (The guards in #157 were obviously normal bandits, since they were dexterous.)

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-17, 02:24 PM
Aha! Number 58! Belkar uses a scroll of cure serious wounds on Elan!!

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=58

Gez
2005-03-17, 02:26 PM
I seriously doubt that assassins need to make noise to cast spells...I think WotC didn't use sorcerers as an example because they wanted to make it clear that assassins can cast in armor.

It's an oversight. IIRC (can't find back my old DMG), they used to cast spells as wizards in 3.0.

I checked...

Really I need him to post Mon Tues Fri.

Mon: OotS, Dork Tower
Tues: Nothing
Wed: OotS(future), Dork Tower
Thurs: OotS(now), Nodwick, FFN
Fri: OotS(Future), Fuzzy Knights, Dork Tower

BTW, OotS is one of the most consistent posters of comics. No comments about the others. (okay Nodwick is consistent too)

I use this page (gez117.free.fr/webcomics.html) as a list of the webcomics I follow. There are alot of them, so it's not a page for people with 56k connections, as all the ongoing comics are loaded in iframes of their respective site... (I think it would be disrecpectful for the authors to load only the pics. I know there's a few softwares that do that, Randy Milholland from Something Positive spake about those things in an interview. With iframes, that's like opening the pages in several tabs. Plus, that way, one doesn't miss comments and news items that are found in the webcomics' page.)

Except a Silent animate rope would be a second level spell - something a first level sorcerer can't cast. ;)

What about Sudden Metamagic feats? There are from Miniatures Handbook and Complete Arcane, and can be used once per day spontaneously, without raising the spell's level.

I should check if bards are bared from taking Sudden Silent like they're restricted from taking Silent Spell.

Geth
2005-03-17, 02:31 PM

LOL..Bravo! That was impressively fast referance skills.

ps- I think I have coffee grounds in my sandwitch. *blah!*
How the heck did I get coffee grounds in my sandwitch?!

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-17, 02:35 PM
;D

Well, the archive makes it alot faster because you can figure out the general area by the titles of the strips.. It would have been alot easier if the strip had been titled something like "Wise Belkar" or "Owl's Wisdom", but ah well.

Porter
2005-03-17, 04:14 PM
YAY BELKAR!!! If you are not being allowed to determine the direction of the situation, control it's destiny any way you can!

Belkar, like all the characters, is one of a kind and the strip would not be the same withought him. I wonder what kind of character Belkar would be if he were transfered into a D20 Modern game?

GeekDaddy
2005-03-17, 05:17 PM
ROFLMFAO!

#157 is the funniest OOTS YET! I've read it four or five times now and it STILL cracks me up!

Kudos Rich!

From V's sardonic wit:

"Can you see me? Then I suppose that answers your question,"

To Belkar's boredom:

"Let's set a tent on fire!"

To the "Oh fudge*" look on their faces in the next to last panel and finally the "It's not my fault you didn't stop me" attitude of Belkar.

OMG!!! It still makes me smile ;D ;D ;D

Porter
2005-03-17, 05:28 PM
I love Belkar. He reminds me so much of me.

Basicly, the characters I play have to be kept on a leash (not litteraly) by my other party members. I WILL do what I want. Now, I am not the best player in the world. Only been playing a few years after not playing at all since high-school. I mean, I can not role-play to save my life. At least when it comes to the intelectuall stuff. Can I roleplay during a fight? **** yeah. I tend to play more Gladiator type characters. Intimidate, Perform Act, Diplomacy, Bluff and the like are all things I use during a fight. But when it comes to being out of battle, I am as usefull as tits on a Griplie. In fact, last time I met a Griplie, we were invited into their underground city, and when talking to the king of the griplies, I found the king to be smug, pompus and arrogant. So I stabbed him. That was the first and last battle of the evening, because the DM had no freakin clue what to do next.

So, yeah, LONG LIVE BELKAR! King of the thick headed and impulsive!

AtomicKitKat
2005-03-17, 05:44 PM
A good comic and I agree the stubble on Belkar's head was a nice touch. (humm, I wonder what it WOULD be like to touch Belkar's head.) * pat pat*

;D

Speaking from experience(I shaved myself bald in October 03), it's prickly, and burns the heck out of the person who has that haircut. Rubbing your fingers against the grain produces a temperature easily a few degrees above the normal(and that's considering the brain itself generates a ton of heat from all the impulses)

Porter
2005-03-17, 05:48 PM
I used to keep my head bald, but I would shave it regularily with my straight blade.

Wanderer
2005-03-17, 07:15 PM
As some might guess, I LOVE fire. Well, at least, my characters tend to. Maybe I'm a repressed pyromaniac. One of the first things I always equip my characters with is a bunch of tindertwigs.

Of course, it's not like I deliberately go around lighting fires. There's often completely good justification. Like that one village... They were trying to hang one of our party members! It's not MY fault that the fire we set as a distraction just HAPPENED to burn down half the town...

Porter
2005-03-17, 07:23 PM
thunderstones can be fun. Especially if you are on watch and everyone else is sleeping.

Kish
2005-03-17, 08:35 PM

Yes, but before he could cast any spells without scrolls he'd need to rest, and then the Owl's Wisdom would wear off.

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-17, 11:08 PM
You're a quick one, Kish

but that brings up the question... can he prepare spells even though his wisdom isnt high enough so that wen OW is cast on him, he can cast spells

pumpkinetics
2005-03-18, 02:39 AM
Well, at least belkar's following plan B to the word.

#66 on why belkar remindes me of the gnomish paladin...

roguebfl
2005-03-18, 09:10 AM
You're a quick one, Kish

but that brings up the question... can he prepare spells even though his wisdom isnt high enough so that wen OW is cast on him, he can cast spells

yes and no. OW would go "ah i now under stand how to cast these spells" BUT OW duration is only 1 min/level.

and takes 15 minute minium to prepare a spell slot, so the caster would need to be minium 16th level for him to have enough time to CAST the spell.

roguebfl
2005-03-18, 09:15 AM
Yes, but before he could cast any spells without scrolls he'd need to rest, and then the Owl's Wisdom would wear off.

well not really. he HAS the slots already just nothing he is capable of filling them with. so all he needs to be in rested before OW is cast, but as i said above the 15 minute, (minimum) prep time is the killer

Banjo_Buddy
2005-03-18, 02:09 PM
PS- Banjo_Buddy, what kind of colour blindness do you have? the Flames on the torch are over a two colour background, so I'd think you'd see some type of difference. Mind you I do have friend who has Purple-Yellow colour blindness so he mixes up really odd colours.

It's a variant of red-green, so I mostly get along fine.

And looking at it today with a different monitor, I see that part of it was the monitor I was using yesterday--it's due for replacement soon. It displays everything dark; I can't even play the nighttime missions in
Freedom Force unless I turn all the lights off in the room and play in the dark.

But I still find it hard to distinguish the torches--just not as hard..

AtomicKitKat
2005-03-18, 02:18 PM
It's a variant of red-green, so I mostly get along fine.

And looking at it today with a different monitor, I see that part of it was the monitor I was using yesterday--it's due for replacement soon. It displays everything dark; I can't even play the nighttime missions in
Freedom Force unless I turn all the lights off in the room and play in the dark.

But I still find it hard to distinguish the torches--just not as hard..

Heh, I love Freedom Force, although it sometimes got a bit laggy, and the prestige cost for making AtomicKitty was kind of high...

Does anybody know where Glitch Girl's "Gender Reversed Freedom Force" went to? I remember she basically switched male and female model/skins around, and renamed them(eg Minute Man became Minute Miss, etc)

Kish
2005-03-18, 06:59 PM
Roy may learn that he needs his party in this arc, but his party is already learning they need him.

Tharivol
2005-03-18, 07:15 PM
Why do you say that? Haley filled the role of "intelligent leader who can plan ahead and use his/her party's resources and abilities efficiently" quite nicely, and Roy had the same problems with Belkar. Belkar actually told Haley that he would listen to her if she yelled at him, which he's never done for Roy.

roguebfl
2005-03-18, 07:59 PM
Why do you say that? Haley filled the role of "intelligent leader who can plan ahead and use his/her party's resources and abilities efficiently" quite nicely, and Roy had the same problems with Belkar. Belkar actually told Haley that he would listen to her if she yelled at him, which he's never done for Roy.

that's becuase he belves Haelay will follow though with her threats and Roy would not?

The_Shadow
2005-03-18, 08:05 PM

You're right that Haley did a pretty good job of planning... but I do doubt that Belkar would've said "Screw it" to Roy's face and burned a tent right in front of him.

I mean, Belkar complains about Roy's "arbitrary rules, like 'Don't kill Elan'" :) but he does follow them when Roy's watching and not poisoned...

Zherog
2005-03-18, 09:15 PM
Personally, I'd do damn near whatever Haley wanted. :-*

Er, wait... was that my out-loud voice again? :-[

Eloco
2005-03-18, 11:23 PM
Im a little disapointed he didnt light the tent Elan was in on fire. Seeing Elan running with his pants on fire would get a good chuckle and could set up a nice liar liar pun ;)

Edalmri
2005-03-18, 11:47 PM
Not to mention the sheer humour value of someone having flaming pants...

Porter
2005-03-19, 03:22 AM
maybe the nice chocolates and flowers he had bought could be ruined in some way. Or he could just run out wearing his flaming pants and carrying flaming goods.

Zherog
2005-03-19, 09:43 AM
Im a little disapointed he didnt light the tent Elan was in on fire.

How do you know he didn't? ;)

roguebfl
2005-03-19, 01:24 PM
How do you know he didn't? ;)

While It's not 100% certain I'm pretty sure the where not standing next to the tent that had the guards outside it ;)

Tharivol
2005-03-19, 02:04 PM
But Elan left that tent already anyway. How do you know that he didn't go into another one?

Porter
2005-03-19, 06:14 PM
Although we are only shown Elan sneaking back towards the same tent (and not him acctually going in it), I think we can be pretty sure he went into it.

Shatteredtower
2005-03-19, 07:21 PM
OW would go "ah i now under stand how to cast these spells" BUT OW duration is only 1 min/level.

and takes 15 minute minium to prepare a spell slot, so the caster would need to be minium 16th level for him to have enough time to CAST the spell.

Or 8th level with a 3rd level spell slot and the Extend Spell feat.

Personally, I'd do damn near whatever Haley wanted. :-*

You mean you'd do whatever you wanted for Haley to want you to do. Not that it invalidates what you wrote, but it's the reason it's valid. ;)

I admire the bandit's technique for dealing with arson: fight fire with fire.

roguebfl
2005-03-19, 11:42 PM
Or 8th level with a 3rd level spell slot and the Extend Spell feat.

true I over looked that. But if your going that route Persistent Spell an and 8th level slot (15th level) would give it 24 hours duration 8)

Zherog
2005-03-20, 10:33 AM
You'd need a 9th level slot - persistent is a +6 metamagic now.

evileeyore
2005-03-20, 03:55 PM

Because Haley's plan failed completely, Belkar ignored her, she failed to consider Belkar's ADHAD (which Roy is general on top of), she failed to properly Intimidate Belker in the first place, Belkar...

Actually the plan would have probably worked had they left Belkar unconscious and tied to a tree. However Haley still failed to accomodate for Belkar in the Plan. Thus she failed to use her tools adequately.

And no Roy doesn't have those problems. Belkar has yet to actively ignore Roy's commands. More than likely it has to do with Roy Intimidating Belkar at some point in the past.

And I agree, Roy is gonna wish he had the others with, I predict by the end of next two weeks.

Nikolai_II
2005-03-20, 04:32 PM
And no Roy doesn't have those problems. Belkar has yet to actively ignore Roy's commands.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=107

OR maybe not ;)

But my example doesn't have Roy standing next to Belkar admonishing him, rather having him stand around bored, which is asking for trouble as always..

roguebfl
2005-03-20, 11:18 PM
You'd need a 9th level slot - persistent is a +6 metamagic now.

yep i used +6...OW is only 2nd level. not 3rd ;) so 8th slot is all you need

Zherog
2005-03-20, 11:35 PM
Um, right - me do math good. :-[

bournie
2005-03-21, 01:39 AM
Can't argue with Belkars plan, it is very similar to every plan my old 2ed ranger set up:

"Hmmmm orc stronghold"
(ooc) what is it made out of?
(dm) wood
"Let me sneak up to the wall, douse it in lamp oil, sneak back and shoot a flaming arrow at it"
(Party mage) "Forget arrow, forget oil, you stand at the front of the gate, taunt them, then i'll fireball them back to last week when they rush you..."

It went either one way or the other!

Shatteredtower
2005-03-21, 01:41 AM
Um, right - me do math good. :-[

I suspect that what happened is that you added the persistent effect to an extended spell. In other words, math might not have been the problem: rather, this is what happens when you pay too much attention to Haley. ;)

Hmm... either that's a wasted combination or it's a two day duration. Anyone know which way it would apply? Either way, I can't see it being commonly used.

Gez
2005-03-21, 01:57 AM
You can "persist" spells that have a Touch range, now? In 3.0., it was only range 0 (like flameblade) and personal range.

Edalmri
2005-03-21, 08:38 AM
Touch doesn't count as range 0? Oh man, if that's right then I've been doing it wrong for years...

As for today's comic: the old "and by x I mean y" joke. Truly a classic.

Nikolai_II
2005-03-21, 09:02 AM
As for today's comic: the old "and by x I mean y" joke. Truly a classic.

Good spiel by Haley, but what really blew me away about todays comic was this:

Now three times per week! Updating Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

;D

phlip
2005-03-21, 09:33 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=107

OR maybe not ;)

But my example doesn't have Roy standing next to Belkar admonishing him, rather having him stand around bored, which is asking for trouble as always..
Maybe so, but Roy's shown before he can handle Belkar's idiosyncrasies (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=22)...

Ricky
2005-03-21, 09:44 AM
Maybe so, but Roy's shown before he can handle Belkar's idiosyncrasies (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=22)...

And let us not forget this one... (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=146)

Nikolai_II
2005-03-21, 10:13 AM

First panel.. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=154)

And as for the Badger in the face it is similar to the end of this page (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=157) so I hope we can agree that Roy has had more experience in handling Belkar, but that Haley (with her limited leadership experience) did manage rather well?

Janitor
2005-03-21, 10:15 AM
That was awesome, arguing economics in order save their lives. Great comic!

SumGuy
2005-03-21, 10:51 AM
The "cohort" looks to be more like a ranger to me...dual swords and whatnot.

roguebfl
2005-03-21, 10:53 AM
You can "persist" spells that have a Touch range, now? In 3.0., it was only range 0 (like flameblade) and personal range.

Persitent worked on "fixed ranged" spells, touch is a fixed range

roguebfl
2005-03-21, 10:55 AM
The "cohort" looks to be more like a ranger to me...dual swords and whatnot.

or a mêlée rogue. either way they can still be cohorts 8)

Zherog
2005-03-21, 12:06 PM
Indeed - rogues, rangers, and any other PC class can be a cohort. Or even a follower.

Sundog
2005-03-21, 01:09 PM
Hah? BELKAR acting as the voice of reason? Something is very wrong here...

Banjo_Buddy
2005-03-21, 02:47 PM
Hah? BELKAR acting as the voice of reason? Something is very wrong here...

Don't think of it as a continuity error...think of it as deepening and enlarging the characterizations.

I had a director say that to me once.

Tharivol
2005-03-21, 03:38 PM
Since Belkar was looking into the bows the entire time that Haley was talking, it didn't really require that much intelligence for him to realize that they were there and that they were significant. Besides, can't he have a little, tiny bit of insight, just this once?

It seems like quite a lot of the bandits chased the OotS, doesn't it seem like most of them should have stayed to try to stop their unprotected tents from burning to the ground?

Andorax
2005-03-21, 04:40 PM
Haley's not really so ingenious as the current strip suggests.

In actuality, her player just rolled really hot on her Bluff and Diplomacy checks to convince the bandits not to kill them. The rest is just "filling in the blanks" with what it was she said that actually worked.

Porter
2005-03-21, 05:35 PM
Belkar being the voice of reason;

He probably simply rolled a naturall 20 on some skill check. It happens to even the slowest of us. Why, just last night I spotted an entrance no one else did. And I am a fighter with 10 wisdom in a party with a mage, cleric, and ranger/rouge. I NEVER pass spot or listen checks, nor do I care cause there are others to do that, but last night, everyone else rolled a 1 or a 2, I got a natural (obviously, because I have no modifier) 20. Saw the door clear as day.

Starla
2005-03-21, 06:03 PM
Interesting...I remember reading a post about talking your way out of a jam in the Friendly Banter section. I think Rich provided another good demonstration to his audience.

Haley is good at connecting with the would-be atagonists and getting them to let their guard down... Check out 93 & 100

By the way, how do you do those links in your post?

Whoot!! I just notice the announcement!!! Yea for 3 oots a week!!!

Tharivol
2005-03-21, 06:08 PM
By the way, how do you do those links in your post?
[ url=address]"The words you want the link to say"[ /url]

Without the spaces, and putting the web address where I put the word "address" (although I think you're smart enough to figure that part out :P).

Zod
2005-03-21, 06:14 PM
Hey, you're right Starla! 3-day OOTS! *does happy dance* Thank you Giant!

Acey
2005-03-21, 06:29 PM
The lightning scar on the bandit henchman... I may be going insane, but haven't we seen that somewhere before? Damned if I can remember where, though!

Nikolai_II
2005-03-21, 07:26 PM
Whoot!! I just notice the announcement!!! Yea for 3 oots a week!!!

Assuming that it was easy to miss is why I made sure to mention it in this thread, but with my luck it ended up at the bottom of page 26 so noone saw it anyway ::)

Porter
2005-03-21, 09:16 PM
TODAY ON ORDER OF THE STICK

Haley V and Belkar are finnaly caught!

Haley tries to talk her and her friends out of their dire situation.

She does well, but sudenly, speaks rashly!

Amazingly Belkar offers words of wisdom to Haley, and she attempts to cover up her possibly fatal bluner.

Will Haleys final Bluff apease the Bandits? Or will they see through it and be insulted?

Fine out Wensday in the next episode of

ORDER OF THE STICK

thank you for listening to Porter WJB radio.

Janitor
2005-03-21, 09:45 PM
lol

Porter, you should do that on another website or thread. Perhaps make a collage of the highlights, with Giant's permission of course.

Porter
2005-03-21, 09:49 PM
Janitor, are you saying that my post does not fit here? Because, really, I was not sure where to put it, or even if I should put it anywhere for fear of spamming.

Also, I wonder where Durkon is and what he is doing.

Kish
2005-03-21, 10:12 PM
Also, I wonder where Durkon is and what he is doing.
Probably waiting for Haley, Belkar, and Vaarsuvius to return. He can't sneak, so they wouldn't bring him along. (Though, as it turns out, Belkar is no more able to sneak and a lot more flashy about it.)

RBPRX1204
2005-03-21, 10:23 PM
The lightning scar on the bandit henchman... I may be going insane, but haven't we seen that somewhere before? Damned if I can remember where, though!

Harry Potter?
:P

deathregis
2005-03-22, 02:47 AM
The same guy with the same scar led the attack in #152. That might be where you saw it.

ShadowDragon8685
2005-03-22, 06:57 AM
Hoooo-hoo, that was great.

BUT, I think, Haley could've covered up her outburst better by seugeing into the waste of time it is to be a cohort. I mean, after all - you can never be closer to the leader than two levels, and you'll frequently be snubbed and get the short stick when divying up the loot. And that's even if he gets into a traditional Adventuring party - in this kind of situation, you have a load of followers who have to be fed, clothed, and armed, and of course paid, or you'll be looking at a mutiny. So you'll never get anything worth having, you'll always be far below your reccomended wealth per level.

Janitor
2005-03-22, 08:32 AM
Sorry Porter, I liked your post and I didn't feel it was out of place. I just suggested that you do something like that on another website so as to draw more people here.

Porter
2005-03-22, 08:33 AM
Lightnign scar dude could be second in command for all we know. Haley just came out and called him a cohort. He never said he was one. For all we know, that could be the biggest insult that she game him, calling him a cohort.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-03-22, 09:41 AM
Haley was doing so well on her diplomacy roll, but she kinda screwed it up in the end. Lets hope it wasn't a fatal misroll.

Now, will those three talk to the Sam? Will they walk in with Elan flirting with the bandit queen? I guess we wait till Wed. Much better than waiting till Thur. Thank you Giant.

Porter
2005-03-22, 07:11 PM
Janitor I took no offence, I was just wanting a bit more clarification. What kind of website would you sugest I post it on?

Janitor
2005-03-22, 07:55 PM
I dunno, perhaps your own. You could have a gewdguys, keenspot kinda thing. Just a suggestion.

Starla
2005-03-22, 10:07 PM
[ url=address]"The words you want the link to say"[ /url]

Thanks Tharivol.

Lets test it with my favorite oots comic (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=6)

Yes! It worked!

This is a fav from the other webcomic I read (http://69.57.151.222/archive.html?205_31)

I think the scar just marks him as a high level person with a lot of experience. Which gives him another reason to be insulted by Haleys jibe about him not being the leader.

roguebfl
2005-03-23, 12:01 AM
Which gives him another reason to be insulted by Haleys jibe about him not being the leader.

well you can look at this way he could be complente that she though he was the leader for a while 8)

The Giant
2005-03-23, 02:12 AM
The first regular Wednesday OOTS is now up.

pumpkinetics
2005-03-23, 02:13 AM
Ooh! OoTS Gets Scandalous!

Today on Jerry Springer: "My hubby left me for a sorceror!"

First reply! [Ass-Kissing]And thankyou for the three-a-week OoTS Giant![/Ass-Kissing]

Lilly
2005-03-23, 02:16 AM
Wow Wednesday comic.

So funny I've lost my ability to laugh at it anymore! *wimper, as that's all she can do*

"And so, Plan R begins to take form"

Haley's look in the 2nd to last panel is priceless.

It is just like a bond movie!

Kish
2005-03-23, 02:22 AM
Look at that scowl on the ex-bandit leader's face. I think Elan's in a double dose of trouble.

SumGuy
2005-03-23, 02:32 AM
cue the steel drums:

I don't know whatcha heard about me
but bandits can't get a dolla outta me
and Haley's pissed at what she now sees
cause I'm magic using P-I-M-P!

Oh lordy I'm tired tonight! Nice job Rich, this is one to remember for many reasons.

Nikolai_II
2005-03-23, 02:45 AM
It does indeed seem as Elans plan worked - now let's see if he can handle the fallout from it ;D

Egg_of_Coot
2005-03-23, 03:14 AM
I hope "Plan R" stands for "Rage!" So we can finally see Belkar go into a barbarian rage for the first time! :D

Ojoxsofeta
2005-03-23, 03:51 AM
All I can say is - look at Elan's nipples.

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-03-23, 03:56 AM
Let's not and say we didn't.

It's probably just as well they didn't convince Roy to come along for this misadventure - he'd probably be asking Samantha if she could use another bandit about now.

On that note, I predict that the next comic will begin with the words to the effect of "Meanwhile, back with Roy and Durkon..." ;)

AtomicKitKat
2005-03-23, 04:28 AM

That's nothing, I believe this is the first time Giant has drawn a standard race with cheek showing...

Funny cameo from the lawyer guys.

Gez
2005-03-23, 04:54 AM
And so, Samantha is not a redhead, and does not seem to be related to Haley in any way.

The Glyphstone
2005-03-23, 06:41 AM
Woot woot! OoTS goes PG-13! ;D

Cheering loudly at the new 3-day a week comic.

Maelstrom
2005-03-23, 06:49 AM
;D
Wow! In the midst of a network outage conference call here at work, there is a silver lining to being woken up at 2 in the morning! OOTS on a Wednesday AM

woohoo!

ShadowDragon8685
2005-03-23, 07:20 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOO! Go Elan! ;D

Krilia
2005-03-23, 08:43 AM
All I have to say about the last exchange, with the names:

"Bullwinkle!"

Wanderer
2005-03-23, 09:11 AM
Be very glad that Haley is not also a sorceror, or I would predict large explosions in the immediate future.

As it is, I predict pain.

Starbuck_II
2005-03-23, 09:15 AM
Elan, you dog!

I'd say Samantha is more of a Auburn(how do you spell it?) than a red.

Dark red?

But yeah Bullwinkie works too lol.
Man Sam really liked Elan: took of her shirt and everything.
Will Haley fight for Elan? Will Elan score with boith chicks? Will Bekar kill something, find out next OOTs?

AtomicKitKat
2005-03-23, 09:27 AM
Elan, you dog!

I'd say Samantha is more of a Auburn(how do you spell it?) than a red.

Dark red?

Try "brunette" ;D

Seems only Elan's clothes(chain shirt and cape) are in view. :P

Ricky
2005-03-23, 09:43 AM

I was just thinking the same thing...

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-03-23, 09:54 AM
It's not the first time (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=26) you see Elan's nipples.

Old_Man
2005-03-23, 10:52 AM
It's not the first time (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=26) you see Elan's nipples.

And yet we still don't know what an 18 looks like.

GeekDaddy
2005-03-23, 10:58 AM
All I have to say about the last exchange, with the names:

"Bullwinkle!"

Actually, my first thought was:
"Brad!"
"Janet!"
"Brad!"
"Doctor Scott!"
"Rocky!"
"Ugh!"

Poor Elan, caught in flagrante dilecto. Since there are no shotguns, will there be a Wand of Fireballs wedding? What will this do to the subtle sexual tension between Elan and Haley? Will Belkar ask for a threesome? Will Haley?

Stay tuned for our next episode of As the Days of our General Guiding OOTS Light Turns

Grey Watcher
2005-03-23, 11:04 AM
Personally, I think the expression on Elan's face as he greets Haley is priceless. The poor kid doesn't even realize he's in trouble! ;D

On the whole, an excellent comic. One of your best, Rich.

Zherog
2005-03-23, 11:52 AM
"Brad!"
"Janet!"
"Brad!"
"Doctor Scott!"
"Rocky!"
"Ugh!"

Yeah - me too.

Krilia
2005-03-23, 11:57 AM
"Brad!"
"Janet!"
"Brad!"
"Doctor Scott!"
"Rocky!"
"Ugh!"

Well, there were the two alternative AP lines - "Ugh" or "Bullwinkle" after "Rocky" :)

Gael
2005-03-23, 12:06 PM
I would have loved to see Roy's line when he finds out the guy they risk their lives to rescue is playing doctors with the evil bandit queen.

That's in another universe though.

CarpeDM
2005-03-23, 12:21 PM
The true question is will they come to a resolution before they run out of letters to call these masterful plans?

CarpeDM
"Seize the Dungeon Master"

Janitor
2005-03-23, 12:37 PM
That was awesome, I knew it was coming but I didn't expect it like that.

I can't wait til friday's comic for the exchange between Haley and Elan, and I can't wait for Belkar to high-five Elan.

GeekDaddy
2005-03-23, 01:46 PM
Yeah! How many notches did Elan just go up in Belkar's opinion of him! :)

"Bullwinkle, huh? Can't say I ever heard that one, but after nearly 30 years of Par-tici..... (Wait for it! Wait for it!) ...pation, I guess there's bound to be all kinds of variants :)

roguebfl
2005-03-23, 02:06 PM
, and I can't wait for Belkar to high-five Elan.

yeah with that ring of jumping he can now reach ;)

halfling make a sweet snack why your waiting for the knight to roast in his armor 8)

GypsyThorn
2005-03-23, 03:48 PM
A bean bag chair?

Making out on a bean bag chair?

A purple one, no less?

Boy, does that bring back memories.

Sundog
2005-03-23, 04:26 PM
Actually, I think Belkar is in deep doo-doo.

He just called Sam a "Hot chick" in front of her - a sorceress - and her father - a rogue - at a time when they'll be looking to take their frustrations out on someone...

mossfoot
2005-03-23, 04:36 PM
Naw, his comment will slip by like something Joey on Friends would say in such a situation ;)

But for story structure between Haley and Elan it make sense. After thier uncomfortable moment during the big battle in the first storyline, this is a logical step. Haley will be upset, Elan won't know why, it will slowly dawn on him, probably at a key moment where she is in danger or otherwise "engaged" ;)

evileeyore
2005-03-23, 07:40 PM
Yeah! How many notches did Elan just go up in Belkar's opinion of him! :)

"Bullwinkle, huh? Can't say I ever heard that one, but after nearly 30 years of Par-tici..... (Wait for it! Wait for it!) ...pation, I guess there's bound to be all kinds of variants :)

Damn, beaten to the "Modified Mickey Mouse Roll Call".

And GeekDaddy, I'm guessing its a regional thing. In Orlando they've been shouting Bullwinkle for the last twnety years. Course when we had the Navy Base we heard all kinds of crazy lines from visiting sailors.

The_Losar
2005-03-23, 09:44 PM
I don't think Belkar's opinion of Elan is going to change. He's always been pretty buddy-buddy with Elan in the past, except for when he decides to insult Elan or plot his demise to boost his evil image. Belkar is definitely evil, but he has a soft spot for Elan.

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-03-23, 10:00 PM
And GeekDaddy, I'm guessing its a regional thing. In Orlando they've been shouting Bullwinkle for the last twnety years. Course when we had the Navy Base we heard all kinds of crazy lines from visiting sailors.
I agree with and can vouch for Evil E, at least that "Bullwinkle!" is the AP line I heard the few times I've been to RHPS.

On a side note... my ex was involved with the Orlando RHPS scene until recently. It may be that Evil E and I were once in the same theater without realizing it ;)

::throws toast at everyone::

Lilly
2005-03-23, 10:15 PM
I agree with and can vouch for Evil E, at least that "Bullwinkle!" is the AP line I heard the few times I've been to RHPS.

On a side note... my ex was involved with the Orlando RHPS scene until recently. It may be that Evil E and I were once in the same theater without realizing it ;)

::throws toast at everyone::

Okay bits I don't understand that I will get when y'all explain it- Bullwinkle? As in the moose? RHPS??

~confussed little girl

Zherog
2005-03-23, 10:34 PM
RHPS = Rocky Horror Picture Show

People go to the movie theatre to watch it, and the audience adds a bunch of lines that don't exist in the actual movie.

ThreadNecromancer
2005-03-23, 11:22 PM
Isn't this a bit off-topic?
anyway, I think Belkar's opinion of Elan has gotten to be much better now. It seems to me that most people think Elan's like a little kid, but this definately(sp) dispels that illusion. ;)

Lilly
2005-03-23, 11:35 PM
But Elan acts so much like a little kid so much of the time.

Second grader (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=2)
Calvin anyone? (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=31)

Arg! I thought that IE was the only browser that did the funky posting without you finishing it thing.

But he also does know something.
He seems to know something (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=109)
Sphere talk (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=123)
It's like watching halftime (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=35)

ThreadNecromancer
2005-03-24, 12:36 AM
He may act like one most of the time, but he isn't one.

Lilly
2005-03-24, 02:47 AM
He may act like one most of the time, but he isn't one.

I know he isn't a child. Some people (ie me) expect consistant behavior patterns. It messes with your head when somone acts completly out of character. Or what you think is their character.

Nikolai_II
2005-03-24, 03:28 AM
Arg! I thought that IE was the only browser that did the funky posting without you finishing it thing.
[/url]

Accidentally clicking outside of the write-window makes the cursor disappear for a while - during that period enter will finish the post for you, instead of changing line.

Porter
2005-03-24, 03:40 AM
That's nothing, I believe this is the first time Giant has drawn a standard race with cheek showing...

Cheek? You mean bum cheek?

Krilia
2005-03-24, 09:55 AM
Isn't this a bit off-topic?
anyway, I think Belkar's opinion of Elan has gotten to be much better now. It seems to me that most people think Elan's like a little kid, but this definately(sp) dispels that illusion. ;)
in regard to mention of Rocky Horror.

IMDB page for Quotes from Rocky Horror (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073629/quotes)

But the quote in question is:
Dr. Everett Scott: Janet!
Janet: Dr. Scott!
Brad: Janet!
Janet: Brad!
Frank: Rocky!
[Rocky grunts]
Dr. Everett Scott: Janet!
Janet: Dr. Scott!
Brad: Janet!
Janet: Brad!
Frank: Rocky!
[Rocky grunts]

This is sometimes referred to as the "Micky Mouse Roll Call". Audience Participation seems divided between saying "Ugh" for Rocky, or "Bullwinkle". And for the record, I have heard both, but Bullwinkle seemed a bit more distinctive then "ugh". ;)

evileeyore
2005-03-24, 05:22 PM
This is sometimes referred to as the "Micky Mouse Roll Call". Audience Participation seems divided between saying "Ugh" for Rocky, or "Bullwinkle". And for the record, I have heard both, but Bullwinkle seemed a bit more distinctive then "ugh". ;)

I've also heard many a bellow of "Adrian".

Anyaway back to the topic.

Lilly I agree that it can be a might confusing to see people "step out of Character". However I don't think we've seen the depth of these guys characters.

Elan may very well be a cad. He might have figured "Here now, gone tomorrow", he is after all a Bard. This means he ain't Lawful by any stretch, and I can believe "love em and leave" would be a very apropriate Chaotic act.

Besides I saw no confirmation the he and Haley were an item. Elan obviously sees himself as a free agent.

I have to wonder how long Haley will hold a grudge. Chaotic is not the Alignment for grudge holding afterall.

roguebfl
2005-03-25, 12:01 AM
I have to wonder how long Haley will hold a grudge. Chaotic is not the Alignment for grudge holding afterall.

actulk Chaotics are VERY likly to hold grudges (CG less likely) becuase the treat indvidual based on their actions

Shatteredtower
2005-03-25, 06:19 AM
Ah, it's just not the same anymore, now that the strip no longer updates on Thursday, the start of my work week. The Stick was my carrot, man!

But three times a week is good too. ;D

Jaqrabbit
2005-03-25, 08:12 AM
160 is up, and it's a fine finish to the first regular 3 update week! Hell, the whole week was top notch, so I guess Rich is starting this off with a bang. ;D

deathregis
2005-03-25, 08:17 AM
anybody notice the bandit in the upper left of today's comic. The bald angry one. Yeah, the one who looks exactly like Roy. THe one who probably is Roy, there to save them all?

Kaerou
2005-03-25, 08:52 AM
I take it the sorc won initiative.

No spellcaster can win 1v1 against a rogue who knows their stuff and is less than 30ft away, unless they go first and get off a stoneskin/fly or something =P ... except if they're much higher level. Trip attacks for the win. Go go gadget sneak attack.

Still, in the same way i'm guessing it would be the same with her dad.. he's a dual wield fighter type, so a single imrpoved trip would win the battle, sorcs dont have the HP to survive a good round of attacks. I guess he went easy on her because she's his daughter.

Nikolai_II
2005-03-25, 08:53 AM
anybody notice the bandit in the upper left of today's comic. The bald angry one. Yeah, the one who looks exactly like Roy. THe one who probably is Roy, there to save them all?

Good spot there - yes he looks suspiciously like Roy. (Last panel, top left rear)

What he will do.. that is for monday, or possibly wednesday, to reveal, though ;

Nikolai_II
2005-03-25, 08:54 AM

No spellcaster can win 1v1 against a rogue who knows their stuff and is less than 30ft away =P ... except if they're much higher level.

Since it is arena combat both might be focused - so even if Haley goes first there is no flatfooted sneak attacks, and then rogue gets the smackdown (especially since the first Samantha spell seems to have been fly.. she might as well have gone 200' straight up for extra AC, then rained down MMs and AAs)

Starbuck_II
2005-03-25, 08:54 AM

No spellcaster can win 1v1 against a rogue who knows their stuff and is less than 30ft away =P ... except if they're much higher level.

Well Mage armor last a long time (1 hour/level) so she could have that on earlier.
Chill touch can be used 1/level so that works, she seems to be flying so that has gotta hurt, and Haley took a beat down :o

Elan look at the trouble you got us into now ;D

AtomicKitKat
2005-03-25, 08:59 AM

*belkar*DAMMIT!*off belkar*

Now he won't use that.

Edit: That bandit was in 158 and 159(partly obscured by Belkar's speech balloon in the first frame), although in 158 he had a bit of fuzz on his scalp, which is not seen in 159/160.

Gez
2005-03-25, 10:29 AM
Edit: That bandit was in 158 and 159(partly obscured by Belkar's speech balloon in the first frame), although in 158 he had a bit of fuzz on his scalp, which is not seen in 159/160.

Anti-Rich spoiler :D -- highlight to have a more readable version of the text.

Crazy idea: Roy saw that bandit and thought "hey, that guy looks a lot like me", subdued him, and took his clothings as a disguise. That explains the loss of hair, as well as the fact the other bandits don't seem to be startled by this new face.

Gael
2005-03-25, 10:47 AM
I don't think Elan is out of character by seducing Samantha. As was mentionned he's chaotic good. Providing hot chick with short lasting love is very in-character.

I'm not sure he noticed the attraction he exerts on Haley anyway. In case he noticed, he didn't link Haley's reaction with his "getting in touch" with Samantha. Not because he turned another alignment or acts out of character but because he's so incredibly thick.

On a more general note, can you believe they messed up every single action they have taken? Starting with Elan's capture not a single thing they tried worked or worked long enough to see them to safety.
They rolled low (rolled 1?) on pretty much every single check, starting with their "spot Elan is missing" check.

Maybe they're under the curse of Banjthulu?

GeekDaddy
2005-03-25, 11:26 AM
The interesting part about the whole "Roy Lookalike," and the thing which may lend the theory credence is that he is the only one who really looks pissed. I mean, out of the five bandits watching, you have one smiling (must be Samantha's aide d'camp), two slightly bummed (hoping for a new boss?), one with a comb over his mouth ("I abstain!") and then the one who really looks angry -- ROY!

Also, note the demure, lady-like way that V is sitting, with legs curled to the side? Could this be further evidence in the gender debate? The guys are sitting straight-legged while V's ankles are tucked. Hmmmmm...

Finally, I think we are about to see Elan come to the sudden realization of his true feelings for Haley. Granted, it may be five minutes too late. But then again, that Ross-Rachel back and forth thing (if you watched Friends) can be good comedy. Unresolved sexual tension makes for great stuff in the comedic world. It is only when that tension is done away with, so to speak, that the show (strip?) goes to pot (a la "Moonlighting," "Ned and Stacey," et al). So, hopefully that means we are going to be treated to months if not years of back and forth between Elan and Haley.

Nikolai_II
2005-03-25, 12:30 PM
Judging from Elans facial expression I would say that he has understood that he has feelings for Haley and she has for him. But where will that take us..I'll be waiting to see. :o

phlip
2005-03-25, 12:53 PM
Hmm... they left Durkon behind "in case something goes wrong".

I think this qualifies...

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-25, 12:55 PM
Will we see V's familiar again? and so soon

"Quick, Blackwing go find Durkon!"

The Glyphstone
2005-03-25, 01:08 PM
Will we see V's familiar again? and so soon

"Quick, Blackwing go find Durkon!"
I wonder how many of those bandits have the Point Blank Shot feat?

Dragon_Rider
2005-03-25, 01:13 PM
Well, maybe they'd be flat footed and Blackwing would get a move action in the surprise round. And, Durkon has a high wisdom, he should be able to spot a bunch of arrows and a small bird from a ways away... or maybe not

Grey Watcher
2005-03-25, 01:37 PM
Also, note the demure, lady-like way that V is sitting, with legs curled to the side? Could this be further evidence in the gender debate? The guys are sitting straight-legged while V's ankles are tucked. Hmmmmm...
I thought he was kneeling, and even so, all it proves is that he doesn't want to flash the bandits.

GeekDaddy
2005-03-25, 02:03 PM
I thought he was kneeling, and even so, all it proves is that he doesn't want to flash the bandits.

V's wearing an ankle length robe, not a kilt/skirt. What would be flashed? Those sexy shins?

Knight13
2005-03-25, 02:09 PM
SEE!! I told you! Sorcerers rule everything! All must bow before the might of the sorcerer!

AtomicKitKat
2005-03-25, 02:42 PM
im

You wouldn't be calling the Japanese "demure ladies" would you?

http://www.bda-ninpo.com/images/kamae_seiza_02.gif

Kneeling with the ankles supporting the rear is a common way for them to sit whether it's for tea, seppuku, accepting punishment, etc. And we can all agree that the(some) Japanese are probably the closest to D&D elves that you can get(shortish, ambisexual looking, etc.)

SEE!! I told you! Sorcerers rule everything! All must bow before the might of the sorcerer!

Nah, give me a wizard any day. A spell for every ocassion, and it forces you to THINK(in fact, you may even have to OUTTHINK the DM), rather than being a mindless piece of artillery.

Edit: And Sorcerors can't use Quicken Spell, since all metamagic feats increase the casting time of spontaneously cast spells to a full round action. If that wizard breaks off a quickened Hold Person(or whatever spell, Disintegrate, for example, or Time Stop), you're screwed.

roguebfl
2005-03-25, 02:54 PM
Edit: And Sorcerors can't use Quicken Spell, since all metamagic feats increase the casting time of spontaneously cast spells to a full round action. If that wizard breaks off a quickened Hold Person(or whatever spell, Disintegrate, for example, or Time Stop), you're screwed.

I sorcer Can not use quicken feat for spotious casting true. BUT there are two uses for the feat.

1) the another feat the lets spotainous caster set aside slots to be uses as meomerized spells. quicken then can be used like that.

2) if they have the freat the can make "quicked" magical items.

The_Chancellor
2005-03-25, 03:11 PM
All I can say is wow - Rich, I can't remember laughing so hard at one of your strips as I have at the last panel of this one. Lol! :D

Hail to the Giant!

Scion_of_Darkness
2005-03-25, 03:42 PM
Say... if you look at the bandit to the far left... dosnt that look a bit like Roy?

Edit: Damn, misset that this was already posted. :-[

Maelstrom
2005-03-25, 04:06 PM

Say... if you look at the bandit to the far left... dosnt that look a bit like Roy?

Needle sharp this one, eh? I take it he took his Signature Block seriously ;)

But back on the topic of might-be-Roy...certainly does not look happy that the captives are in the situation that they are in...

GeekDaddy
2005-03-25, 04:31 PM
You wouldn't be calling the Japanese "demure ladies" would you?

http://www.bda-ninpo.com/images/kamae_seiza_02.gif

No! Of course not! No, I was picturing something more like this but with the legs drawn up tighter:

http://www.thepinupfiles.com/images/o-ab012.jpg

Knight13
2005-03-25, 08:36 PM
Nah, give me a wizard any day. A spell for every ocassion, and it forces you to THINK(in fact, you may even have to OUTTHINK the DM), rather than being a mindless piece of artillery.
See, wizards only have a spell for every occasion if they know what's coming the next day. If he/she doesn't know or something unexpected happens, he/she is completely screwed. A sorcerer is ALWAYS ready for anything.

Also, no matter how I think about it, a wizard's only good chance of winning a fight with a sorcerer is to get off a quickened spell for the first round win. If that doesn't work, the sorcerer can easily outlast you with protection spells.

Edalmri
2005-03-25, 08:46 PM
Sorcerers aren't ready for anything either, they don't have enough spells. At least at low levels anyway.

EnderAK
2005-03-25, 09:03 PM
Two girls fighting and the only one smiling is the other girl - I don't buy it!

The guys should be smiling, cheering, and making bets on if they will kiss. Not to mention videotaping, if that technology were available.

Kish
2005-03-25, 10:56 PM
Two girls fighting and the only one smiling is the other girl - I don't buy it!

The guys should be smiling, cheering, and making bets on if they will kiss. Not to mention videotaping, if that technology were available.
I suspect what Sam did to Jim convinced the other male bandits to refrain from acting like idiots in ways that directly involve her.

Bartok
2005-03-25, 11:01 PM
Maybe Roy is/was waiting for Samantha to run out of spells for the day, then crushing her.

"Out of spells are you? My arm's still fresh as a daisy" POW!

Kish
2005-03-25, 11:33 PM
"Get your damn hands off of my--off of Elan." Haley wants Elan, all right.