PDA

View Full Version : [Feats] Quick to anger, hard to control

Peregrine
2008-01-27, 07:38 PM
Swift Anger [General]
You are easily provoked into a rage.
Prerequisites: Improved Uncanny Dodge class feature, rage 3/day
Benefit: You may enter a rage as an immediate action, in order to gain its benefits during someone else's action. You cannot do so quickly enough to boost your saving throws once an effect has targeted you, but you can do so while a spell is still being cast, for instance, or when taking an attack of opportunity or making an opposed check.
Normal: Entering a rage takes no time itself, but a barbarian can do it only during his action, not in response to someone else’s action.

I've had this second one kicking about for a while, but since it's older than Swift Anger, it didn't originally have that as a prerequisite. (Actually, it only had Indomitable Will.) What do you think?

Untameable Will [General]
Attempts to influence your mind make you angry, very angry.
Prerequisites: Swift Anger, Improved Uncanny Dodge class feature, Indomitable Will class feature, rage 4/day
Benefit: Whenever you are not raging, if you fail a Will save, you may choose to immediately enter a rage and make a second save against the same effect, benefiting from the morale bonus on Will saves granted by the rage, and from the Indomitable Will class feature (if the effect is an enchantment).

And this one is somewhat less serious, inspired by a comment Hylian Chozo made in another thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3841838#post3841838). :smallsmile:

Intimidating Will [General]
You scare the hell out of magic itself, whenever it tries to influence your mind.
Prerequisites: Swift Anger, Untameable Will, Improved Uncanny Dodge class feature, Indomitable Will class feature, Intimidate skill, rage 5/day
Benefit: Whenever you fail a Will save against a spell or spell-like ability, you may immediately attempt an Intimidate check against the save DC + 4 in order to scare off the effect.

Stycotl
2008-01-28, 12:33 AM
nice. second one in particular. first one seems like another cool reason to remain in barb longer. but i still like the second the most. makes sense. good job.

Nebo_
2008-01-28, 03:12 AM
Intimidating will is horrifically overpowered.

Not only do you get two attempts at every will save, but one of them uses a skill check which get higher than saves faster and can't be failed on a natural 1.

BisectedBrioche
2008-01-28, 04:29 AM
Intimidating will is horrifically overpowered.

Not only do you get two attempts at every will save, but one of them uses a skill check which get higher than saves faster and can't be failed on a natural 1.

I wouldn't really say that its overpowered. You need several feats and 16 levels in Barbarian and re-rolling a save isn't exactly a rare class feature.

Nebo_
2008-01-28, 04:49 AM
I didn't see the pre-reqs. I still think it's overpowered, though. It should be 1/encounter. Justifying the feat by saying 'you scare off the effect' is ridiculous.

Demented
2008-01-28, 05:47 AM
As consistently ridiculous as DnD is, this feat fits in quite nicely.

The only complaint I could mire is that there's no charisma requirement. Though, a charisma requirement for a barbarian feat would be particularly peculiar.

(Speaking of peculiar: Using 'mire' in that sentence.)

Peregrine
2008-01-28, 07:03 AM
Well, I did say it was somewhat less serious. :smallsmile: But that said, I did put some thought into it before writing it. Despite Will being a weak save for barbarians, they get some decent boosts to it while raging (which the previous feat lets you apply if you haven't already and you fail a save). Unless a character has a really cheesed-up skill check (and how often do barbarians pump Cha or a Cha skill?), it's not extremely powerful; in fact it should come out vaguely on par with a strong save (like the barbarian's Fort, also pumped while raging).

Cieyrin
2008-01-28, 04:32 PM
I've seen plenty of Barbarians with Intimidate, as there are a couple of feats that dovetail right into Raging Intimidates and things like that. And, since it is a class skill for them, it still stands to abuse, despite the lack of barbarians who fail to take advantage of their social abilities. It stands to reason that a skill check would make saves like that far easier and your reasoning for using an Intimidate check to reroll a Will save seems kinda weak to me, as a spell has no feelings or mind to influence, much like a construct, which also can't be intimidated for the most part.

Also, FYI, there already exists a feat much like Swift Anger called Instantaneous Rage from Complete Warrior, whose only prereq is the ability to rage or frenzy and does the immediate free action Rage already.

Peregrine
2008-01-28, 08:15 PM
I've seen plenty of Barbarians with Intimidate, as there are a couple of feats that dovetail right into Raging Intimidates and things like that. And, since it is a class skill for them, it still stands to abuse, despite the lack of barbarians who fail to take advantage of their social abilities.

Merely having the skill, even at max ranks, wasn't exactly what I had in mind for "pumping" it. :smalltongue: I'm talking high (boosted) Charisma, skill-boosting feats and items...

It stands to reason that a skill check would make saves like that far easier and your reasoning for using an Intimidate check to reroll a Will save seems kinda weak to me, as a spell has no feelings or mind to influence, much like a construct, which also can't be intimidated for the most part.

...it was a joke! :smallfrown:

Also, FYI, there already exists a feat much like Swift Anger called Instantaneous Rage from Complete Warrior, whose only prereq is the ability to rage or frenzy and does the immediate free action Rage already.

Cue my favourite catchphrase when homebrewing: "But it's not OGC!" Sure, Wizards may have done it first and done it differently, but you have to shell out for the book. My independent take on it is here free for your enjoyment and to be yoinked for your own games or further homebrew goodness. :smallsmile:

Stycotl
2008-01-28, 11:03 PM
serenity now!

peregrine, most of us caught that it was a humorous feat. good job.

Cieyrin
2008-01-29, 11:15 AM
It stands to reason that a skill check would make saves like that far easier and your reasoning for using an Intimidate check to reroll a Will save seems kinda weak to me, as a spell has no feelings or mind to influence, much like a construct, which also can't be intimidated for the most part.

...it was a joke! :smallfrown:

um, heh, my sense of humor kinda curls up and dies when i'm working long hours on my senior design project and then come look around the forums for interesting material, heh, heh, hoo... ^^;;;;

Overall, i do like your feats and would like to maybe use them in a character sometime, I guess just not the joke one that apparently went flying right over my head or I saw it for what it was and decided to be serious about it, anyways.