PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up A Tragic Ending (Albeit One With A Bright Spot)

Leliel
2008-01-27, 08:03 PM
For the first campagin I plan to run in 4th edition, I want to run a "transition" game that explains the changes in the cosmology. Beginning in the currently standard Great Wheel, this will explain how the Astral Sea, the Elemental Chaos, and the evil angels came about. The PCs will know this.

What they don't know is, the method it will come about is not at all a nice way.

You see, the plot of the campagin is an "upgraded" (still with the same characters and lay out, but with a few twists of my own), version of Pandorym's story presented in Elder Evils, but with a rather nasty twist at the end: With the help of a new BBEG I plan to introduce myself, Obligatum VII is able to free Pandorym's mind from his prison despite (and, because the BBEG in question is a manipulator, partly because of) the actions of the PCs, and with perfect knowledge of where his body is (And just to rub salt in the (mortal) wound, the BBEG then proceeds to sic Obligatum on the PCs, on the basis that "failing everyone" counts as a breach of contract). The last 10 levels (the encounter takes place at 20) are spent trying to save as many people as possible before Pandorym destroys them, while still trying to deal with (justifiable) feelings that it was all the party's fault ("You promised you'd be able to save the world! You promised!). No deus ex machinas here either: The Seal of Binding prevents the gods from doing anything other than contemplate the nature of their (soon to end) existence.

Despite the whole tragedy, I want the campagin to end on a happy note: Sure, you might not have been able to save this world, but at least you can ensure the people of it a place in the next one! OK, that probably won't stop the PCs from being all angsty, but at least it won't stop them from going into all out nihilism. The bad guy won't get away with it either: The final boss fight will be against him, and I fully intend on him getting his (really effing bad) karma.

So, besides forbidding the PCs from using the RP of suicidal depression to act all emo, what do you think this could use? How would you cast the thematic mood of places already ravaged by Pandorym? Given that I fully intend on everyone and their dog knowing perfectly well that the world is going to end, how would you show the effects on them?

Well, might as well post on this thread before we all die.

VanBuren
2008-01-27, 08:17 PM
First of all, definitely somber atmosphere. The NPCs might be cold to the PCs mostly from here on out and the night sky should always be overcast. No comforting stars for you! Maybe have some mothers sweep up their children and run when they see the party approaching. Assuming this is common knowledge, of course.

BBEG should taunt and mock them whenever possible, reminding them and thanking them for how their work made this all possible. Lastly, have an innocent NPC die before your party's eyes just to hammer in the fact that these people's lives are irreversibly damaged because of them.

Gralamin
2008-01-27, 08:20 PM
First, Pandorym is great. Good choice.
Thematically, If something has been ravaged by a complete void, causing all that come near to feel a longing to fill the void by jumping in (something that would kill them)
I would also guess people would split into three main groups: The Emos, the Bastards, and the Martyrs. The Emos would basically think their is no point in fighting on, and want to just end everything for themselves. The Bastards would be people who commit every sin possible since the gods won't be able to stop them. They will also include the Nihilists in most cases. Finally Martyrs will be the smallest group, and will represent those with the will to fight on, in hopes of everything getting better.
I would suggest seeing how the PCs react to the events, and attempt to guide them to become Martyrs instead of other rules.

Leliel
2008-01-29, 06:07 PM
First of all, definitely somber atmosphere. The NPCs might be cold to the PCs mostly from here on out and the night sky should always be overcast. No comforting stars for you! Maybe have some mothers sweep up their children and run when they see the party approaching. Assuming this is common knowledge, of course.

I can understand most of that, except for the part about the mothers. It's not as if they knew they were helping him

I like your ideas though.

VanBuren
2008-01-29, 06:16 PM
That's why I put that last part, "assuming this is common knowledge". The events that transpired to cause the situation, specifically. Granted, it needs adjusting depending on how much of the circumstances people know.

Miles Invictus
2008-01-29, 06:33 PM
Could you fill us in a little bit on what happens in Pandorym's story?

Remember the stages of death: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance. Apply them on a societal scale.

Denial: People insisting, past the point of reason, that the world is not going to end. Some people's denial may be so strong that they can't even see the danger as it sets upon them.
Anger: Riots, social breakdown. Witch hunts after "those responsible", whether that's the PCs, or the oppressed minority of your choice.
Bargaining: Religious fervor, people praying to impotent gods. Death cults that promise deliverance if enough souls are sacrificed.
Depression: Plots to poison drinking water, mass suicide. Cities, filled with the bodies of those who have lost hope.
Acceptance: Following the PCs to a safe haven. Kinda boring, if you ask me.

Leliel
2008-01-29, 07:10 PM
That's why I put that last part, "assuming this is common knowledge". The events that transpired to cause the situation, specifically. Granted, it needs adjusting depending on how much of the circumstances people know.

I was talking about the PCs.

OK, in the adventure path presented in Elder Evils, a lady named Tune Maji asks the PCs to find out what happened to her father. What she dosen't know is that he got brainwashed by Pandorym and now basically is his slave, and wants to use Tune as a host for Pandorym's mind while searching for his body. Meanwhile, a kolyrut named Obligatum VII wants to free Pandorym, on the basis that his imprisonment by his summoners is a breach of contract. He and Tune's father of course, team up.

VanBuren
2008-01-29, 07:17 PM
Oh, that's easy then. See, look at it from the point of view of the people. They asked and pleaded with the PCs to save them, but not only did the PCs fail at that, they were responsible for the end being upon them. In that kind of a situation, they probably don't give a damn whether the PCs knew it or not, even if they would believe them in the first place. The only thing that would matter to them at that point would be the fact that the PCs are directly responsible.

And what mother wouldn't be quick to snatch her kids up and run off from the "bad men who doomed us all"? Remember, the worst thing you can do is have your population act rational, because that's just not believable. Emotions rule the day in a crisis.

Naturally there are exceptions, but those tend to become notable people and would likely be an important NPC and not just a townsperson.