PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Ghost Prestige Class (Ninja/Warlock)

StoryKeeper
2008-01-27, 09:48 PM
This is a ninja/warlock prestige class intended to combine some of the ninja-flavored abilities of the warlock with the deadly ambush ability of the ninja. I feel that it may be slightly overpowered, and if this is the case, please give me suggestions for how to balance it.

Eldritch Ghost
Requirements:
Skills: Move Silently 8 ranks
Special: Ghost Step class feature, the ability to use two invocation one of which must be leaps and bounds.
D6
BAB: As ninja
Saves: As ninja
1- Ki powers, paralyzing blast, +1 invoker level
2- Dark Surge 1d6, Mist Walker
3- +1 invoker level,
4- Dark Surge 2d6, Evasion, +1 invoker level
5- Eldritch Power,
6- Dark Surge 3d6, Hide in Plain Sight, +1 invoker level
7- +1 invoker level
8- Dark Surge 4d6,
9- Clouded Memory, +1 invoker level
10- Dark Surge 5d6, Shadow Strike, +1 invoker level
Skills: ninja lists for skills. (4+int mod/level)

Invocations: At 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 9th, and 10th level, an Eldritch ghost gains invocations known and caster level as though they had gained a level in the invocation-using class to which they belonged before adding the prestige class level. If you had more than one invocation-using class before taking this prestige class, you must choose which class to add the level in for invocations known and caster level. The eldritch ghost does NOT increase the damage her eldritch blast does, nor does she gain any other benefits of her other invocations using class.

Ki Power- An eldritch ghost continues to gain ki powers and uses of ki powers as a ninja.

Paralyzing Blast- An eldritch ghost may choose to turn her eldritch blast into a paralyzing blast. A creature hit with a paralyzing blast must make a fortitude save (DC 10+ eldritch ghost level+ CHA mod) or be completely paralyzed for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 the ghost's class level (minimum 1). A paralyzing blast cannot have an eldritch essence invocation added to it.

Dark Surge: An eldritch ghost learns to shape his eldritch blast to best strike his opponent's weak points. A dark surge deals 1d6/ 2levels damage + either the ghost's sudden strike or eldritch blast damage (whichever is higher). The target of the surge must be denied their dexterity bonus to their AC (flanking is also acceptable), or else this attack simply functions as an eldritch blast. Half of a Dark Surge's damage is untyped, and the other half is considered piercing. Dark Surge does not suffer teh standard miss chance against incorporeal creatures.

Mist Walker: Through a combination of eldritch energy and a ghost's understanding of ki, an eldritch ghost automtically gains the ability to use the Mist Walker Invocatin (see below).

Evasion: at 4th level, an Eldritch Ghost gains evasion (see class feature of rogue for details).

Eldritch Power: At 5th level, an eldritch ghost may choose to make one of her invocations unavailable for 1 hour/class level. During this time, the eldritch ghost may not use the selected invocation, and if the invocation were active when this power was used, its effects end instantly. During this time, the eldritch ghost gains additional uses of her ki powers equal to the level of the invocation she set aside (an eldritch ghost setting aside an ESL 2 invocation gains two uses of her ki powers.) When this ability ends, any unused extra uses of ki powers disappear, and the invocation selected is usable again. This ability may be used up to 1 hour/day/class level. You may divide the uses of this ability up into however many hour-long increments you want (a 5th level eldritch ghost may use this ability 5 times for 1 hour, 2 times for 2 hours and 1 time for 1 hour, etc.). Each time this ability is used, you may choose a new invocation to become unavailable.

Hide In Plain Sight: a 6th level eldritch ghost may use the hide skill while being observed so long as she is in an area not brightly lit.

Clouded Memory: Once/round, an eldritch ghost may attempt to erase any memory a creature has of his presence. The creature must be within 100 ft. and the ghost must have line of sight to the target. The target must make a will save (DC= 10+class level+ CHA mod) or be dazed for a round, and forget it had seen, heard, or spoken to the eldritch ghost in the past ten rounds. The target creature must not have taken any damage from the eldritch ghost, and this power does not erase memories of any creatures other than the eldritch ghost.

Shadow Strike: By studying a creature for 5 consecutive rounds, an Eldritch Ghost may release a surge of ki-laced eldritch energy through her hand and into the target (melee touch attack). The attack is created specifically to disrupt the studied creature's system, and will not work on another target. If successful, the attack begins destroying the creature's ki pathways forcing the creature to make a Will Save (DC 20+ CHA modifier) every minute until they either make two succesfull saves in a row (at which time the effect ends) or fail two saves (at which time the target dies). The target is paralyzed until they make a succesfull save representing the damage being done to their nervous system. Additionally, the attack damages the creature's ability to use magic or ki powers. An attempt to use a psionic power, psi-like power , ki power or a spell or spell-like ability requires a DC 20+ ghost's CHA modifier concentration check. A successful check allows the spell, power, etc. to work normally, but a failed check results in the power behind the ability further damaging the user's pathways increasing the save DC of teh death effect by 5 per failed check.

Invocation:
Mist Walker: As gaseous form but with a flight speed equal to your base land speed.

Suggestions?

edit: I changed a few things to increase the synergy between the ki powers and the eledritch blasts. Thoughts?

edit: hmm... I think I goofed again... my apologies! Please use the table so kindly posted by ronnyfire until I get this figured out.

edit: updated with suggested abilities. Anything need moved or added?

RTGoodman
2008-01-27, 10:08 PM
First, here's info on making tables and whatnot - Guide to Homebrewing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1183222&postcount=1). (Scroll down about 2/3 of the way to find the tables.)

Second - the BAB and Will save are a little weird. BAB should probably be 0 1 2 3 3 4 5 6 6 7. Will save should probably start at either +0 or +2, and follow one of the standard progressions.

Giving specific invocations as class abilities doesn't sound too good to me. I'd either have a list of new invocations specially created for the class, or find something new to add to the "Warlock" part of the PrC. I don't really know all that much about Ninjas or Warlocks, so I can't really think of anything else to add.

However, I will say that you should come up with some kind of awesome capstone ability - some reason for people to stick with this class all the way, instead of just as a way to pick up a little bit extra Sudden Strike damage and a few more Warlock goodies.

StoryKeeper
2008-01-27, 10:16 PM
Thank you for the advice. The idea behind giving those specific invocations was to help maintain the flavor of the class and help keep up the strength of the warlock aspect, but I like the idea of creating new powers specifically for the class. Perhaps I could increase the effectiveness of those powers compared to normal powers, but reduce or eliminate the increase in invoker level or something. Also, I like the idea of adding a "capstone" ability. Any suggestions? I already have a few ideas, but I'd also like to hear suggestions.

Oh, and if you were trying to give me a link in teh first paragraph, I don't think it showed up. And sorry ab;out the sloppiness of the table (it looked better when I was typing it)

RTGoodman
2008-01-27, 10:33 PM
Alright, I'm dumb. :smallbiggrin: Apparently I forgot to actually put the link in there before. It's added now.

For a capstone, I'm not entirely sure. Maybe something where, if you hit an opponent with a Sudden Strike Eldritch Blast, they suffer some sort of consequences. Of course, depending on ninja abilities and warlock invocations that give invisibility, that could be too powerful depending on how many times they could pull it off.

Also, thinking about it, I don't think you'd be able to get enough levels of Ninja in if you take all ten levels of this PrC to get Evasion. That seems like something this sort of character should have, so maybe give that as a class feature at 2nd or 4th level or something.

Stycotl
2008-01-28, 12:24 AM
if i remember correctly, in complete arcane it mentions that prestige classes that give '+1 invoker level' include eldritch blast damage and caster progression.

therefore, if when you say that 'they gain no other benefits' you mean that they do not gain eb, specify it.

if your class does gain eb *along with* sudden strike, i think it is too powerful i would pick one or the other, or do half-progressions on both--though i don't see the purpose of that. or give the option to raise one or the other, and the pc can decide which at the level increase.

aaron out.

StoryKeeper
2008-01-28, 08:43 AM
;Hmm... I had wondered about that. What if it continued progressing with sudden strike and not eldritchblast damage, but you gained benefits to your eldritch blast to keep it relevant? That way, your strength would still lie in striking stealthily, but you would still have a reason to use the eldritch blast. Perhaps a silent blast to take out guards without them raising the alarm?

StoryKeeper
2008-01-28, 07:51 PM
I changed a few things to increase the tie between teh ki powers and the eldritch blasts. The class now offers more versatility with invocations as well. The Silent, Blinding, and forgetful blasts are intended to aid in teh infiltrator aspect of the class.

Also, I attempted to make the table less sloppy. I know its still not up to par, but this is my first homebrew attempt, and I h;ave not yet had time to read through the link rtg0922 posted. I will fix it as soon as I am able.

Also, my apologies for the double post.

ronnyfire
2008-01-29, 02:20 AM
have a free shiny table if ya want :D

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special|Invocations
1st|
0|
0|
2|
1|Ki Power, Silent Blast|+0
2nd|
1|
0|
3|
2|Sudden Strike +1d6|+1
3rd|
2|
1|
3|
2||+1
4th|
3|
1|
4|
3|Sudden Strike +1d6, evasion|+1
5th|
4|
2|
4|
3|Blinding Blast, Eldritch Power|+0
6th|
5|
2|
5|
4|Sudden Strike +1d6,hide in plain sight|+0
7th|
6/1|
2|
5|
4||+1
8th|
6/1|
3|
6|
5|Sudden Strike +1d6|+1
9th|
7/2|
3|
6|
5|Forgetful Blast|+1
10th|
8/3|
3|
7|
6|Sudden Strike +1d6, Ki Blast|+1[/table]

copy my spoiler if u wanna use it, add a ] to the end of it

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special|Invocations
1st|
0|
0|
2|
1|Ki Power, Silent Blast|+0
2nd|
1|
0|
3|
2|Sudden Strike +1d6|+1
3rd|
2|
1|
3|
2||+1
4th|
3|
1|
4|
3|Sudden Strike +1d6, evasion|+1
5th|
4|
2|
4|
3|Blinding Blast, Eldritch Power|+0
6th|
5|
2|
5|
4|Sudden Strike +1d6,hide in plain sight|+0
7th|
6/1|
2|
5|
4||+1
8th|
6/1|
3|
6|
5|Sudden Strike +1d6|+1
9th|
7/2|
3|
6|
5|Forgetful Blast|+1
10th|
8/3|
3|
7|
6|Sudden Strike +1d6, Ki Blast|+1[/table

StoryKeeper
2008-01-29, 08:43 AM
Thank you very much! I'll edit the first post right away!

Jangoose
2008-01-29, 08:10 PM
first of all, I really like the idea,

second, I think the silent / blinding blasts would be better off as a paralyzing blast and maybe a trans-dimensional blast (ie. no miss chance to ethereal creatures)

About the memory blast, great idea, but I think that it would work better this way:
- make the blast deal non-lethal damage
- if the target is knocked out (non-lethal damage greater than total health left) then when they wake up, they make a will save. If they fail, they don't remember the entire encounter.
- if they are not knocked out (or they succeed on the will save), then they remain stunned for several rounds, and have only vague memories, and cannot remember specific details of the encounter, but know that something fishy happened

next, about the sudden strike / eldritch blast dilema:
- increase sudden strike every 2 levels,
- increase eldritch blast every 3 levels
- apply the same restrictions of sudden strike to eldritch blast (target must be flat-footed or dexterity-less or whatever) but, it should work against flanked foes, and be able to deal non-lethal damage

for the cap-stone, i think it should be similar to an assassin death-attack
- 5 rounds of study, to monitor the target, and charge the effect.
- Upon a successful sudden strike (melee only) the target must succeed on a reflex save to avoid the magical effect
- if they fail the reflex save, they are infused with a lethal dose of dark energy that eats away at their body like a poison
- they get three FORT saves to shrug off this effect (1/min), or they die. each failed saveshould probably also cause 1 or 2 CON damage.
- The eldritch ghost can cause the energy to dissipate at any time ()

something along the lines of a gaseous or "mist" form invocation would be pretty cool (ie. slip under doors, etc.)

(oh, and the ethereal abilities should cost less per use, but for three rounds before you intend to use it, and three rounds after you use it, the eldritch ghost should not be able to use any magic (of any kind))

pyrefiend
2008-01-29, 08:25 PM
About the memory blast, great idea, but I think that it would work better this way:
- make the blast deal non-lethal damage
- if the target is knocked out (non-lethal damage greater than total health left) then when they wake up, they make a will save. If they fail, they don't remember the entire encounter.
- if they are not knocked out (or they succeed on the will save), then they remain stunned for several rounds, and have only vague memories, and cannot remember specific details of the encounter, but know that something fishy happened

I would do something like this or simply give the warlock the same thing but not as an eldritch essence. The way you have it now, it should be just a normal invokation, as it does not deal damage.

Jangoose
2008-01-30, 03:31 PM
exactly, if it doesn't deal damage, it can't really be considered a blast attack

oh, and wouldn't it be cool if there was a disrupting blast or something like that, where, using your knowledge of ki, you use your eldritch blast to disrupt someone else's ki, preventing them from using ki based, or magic based abilities for two rounds or whatever... ??

StoryKeeper
2008-01-30, 04:59 PM
Good points. I suppose it makes more sense to make the Forgetful blast something more akin to an invocation. I liked the idea of it doing nonlethal damage, but I wanted the ability to make it possible for you to avoid conflict altogether (you turn the corner without peaking first, the guard see you, and can use this ability to cover the mistake.)

More eldritch blast damage would be nice to allow the eldritch ghost to be able to deal respectable damage after he used his sudden strike. Are you sure an increase every three levels wouldn't make it too powerful?

I also like the idea of paralyzing blast replacing silent and/or blinding blast. trans-dimensional blast would be interesting, but it might take up space for other useful abilities that could be fit into the class. Where should I put a paralyzing blast then?

The mist walk or msit form or whatever you want to call it sounds like a great idea. Should it be a use/day ability or an invocation? If it's an invocation, should it be granted as a bonus invocation or simply be created and then be available for a character to learn. And then there's always the option of making it a ki power. Whatever the case, it would probably count as duplicating gaseous form, right? Perhaps it could replace silent blast at first or second level, and Paralyzing blast could replace blinding blast at 5th level.

I also liked the capstone ability, but it feels like it should do something more than con damage (to me at least.) After all, if you wait the 5 rounds, charge in and touch the guy (I envisioned a secret sword handform type attack), and then he makes his saves, you'll be a very embarrassed assassin.

"What did you just do exactly?"
"Er... there was a fly on you..."

The ki blocking/spell blocking thing also sounds like a cool idea to incorporate if there's room.

edit: I updated the original post with the changes. I would still like to add in the mist form thing, but I'm still not sure if that should be a ki power, and invocation, or what.

Jangoose
2008-02-01, 04:32 PM
ok, i looked back over the eldritch blast / sudden strike dilema, and here are some new ideas (cause yeah, now that i think about it, it is a bit powerful)

- start a new attack called "dark surge" or whatever, and make it basically be a new path altogether that combines the good points of both, and the restrictions of both
- the damage could be 1d6 per 2 levels plus the damage of either the characters eldritch blast or sudden strike (whichever is currently higher), and deal untyped damage, half of which is labled as precision based damage
- it should be usable in both melee and ranged strikes, and require that the opponent be denied their dexterity bonus to AC (otherwise you would have to use their original eldritch blast which would be lower) it should however be usable when flanking, but be vulnerable to spell resistance.

about the capstone:
Cool, awesome modifications, although I think that would make it a little too hard for targets to resist if they needed to make three consecutive successes to live. perhaps we could give no time limit, and you basically keep making saves until you live or die, and they have to get two consecutive successes or failures to do so??
while they are fighting off the energy, they should go into some form of pain induced paralysis, (and besides, it is still a normal sudden strike or eldritch blast, so it still deals damage anyways [unless i guess you were using it to extract information from someone, in which case I guess you could specifically choose to just give the person the energy but not actually have to damage them])

personally I think that the mist form thing should be an invocation, and that it should be given to you automatically.

I also believe that perhaps an entire invocation devoted to transdimensional stuff would be pointless, just make it so that all their attacks (including eldritch blast etc. are considered to have the ghost touch property) at like second level or third (its not that powerful)

And on the forgetful blast thing, i think both ways work fine, just give the one that is a normal invocation to the character at some level, but make my version available as another invocation, just with a few tweaks to make it worth it.

cool... i think thats all i had to say...:smallconfused:...

StoryKeeper
2008-02-01, 06:37 PM
Ok, I've updated the first post.

-I really liked the dark surge idea. The flanking makes up for the non-increase in eldritch blast damage, and does a good job of maintaining the stealth attack flavor.

-Does mist walker looker right to you?

-Ya, I guess 3 consecutive saves was a little too strong. I added your no time limit suggestion to it. It seems a strange, but it should work (plus you get the fun of seeing how long they last)