PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Army Knife - type-changing weapon?

SadisticFishing
2008-01-27, 11:37 PM
Hi, I'm playing a Binder and if at all possible, I want a weapon that can change type on a whim. Not necessarily "at will", but the ability to change my +3 morningstar into a +3 lance at will could be extremely useful.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Alleine
2008-01-27, 11:46 PM
Morphing enchantment from Underdark allows you to change your weapon into any other of the same size as a standard action.

Edit: size and type I think. Like it must stay as a light weapon. Not quite sure though.

Mephisto
2008-01-27, 11:50 PM
Rod of Lordly Might?

SadisticFishing
2008-01-27, 11:54 PM
Rod of Lordly Might is what I was looking at.

Morphing is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thank you!

Lolzords
2008-01-28, 05:42 AM
Rod of Lordly Might is what I was looking at.

Morphing is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thank you!

Another problem solved, jolly good.

kjones
2008-01-28, 11:30 AM
You don't need to go into FR to get the mechanics for this property - the MIC has it as well.

Tokiko Mima
2008-01-28, 12:44 PM
Morphing forces you to stay in the same 'type' catagory, i.e. one handed, two handed, light, etc. Get the Sizing property as well, then it can really transform into any weapon of any size, from a claymore to brass knuckles. Both Morphing and Sizing are in MIC, as kjones pointed out. :smallsmile:

SadisticFishing
2008-01-28, 04:05 PM
Sweet. I love this place.

Unlike the MIC's stupid system. Bah.

Tokiko Mima
2008-01-29, 11:16 AM
What would be fun too is adding the Aptitude property (ToB) to the weapon as well. Aptitude lets you apply any weapon specific Feats you have to an Aptitude weapon (i.e. Weapon Focus, Specialization, Stunning Fist, Exotic Weapon Proficiency, etc.) and get a +1 to attack. If the Aptitude weapon happens to be the same type as the one you actually do have a Feat for, then you get an additional +1 to attack and damage.

Consequently if it has the Morphing and Sizing property as well, you should be able to make the weapon transform into one you have a Feat for, and get the combined +2 to attack and +1 to damage. This makes the total cost of your magic properties only -1 to damage versus leaving it alone, making the Morphic property practically free, if you have a weapon specific Feat in your character build. Granted you lose the advantage if you start shape shifting your weapon around, but who said life was easy, right?

Lyinginbedmon
2008-01-29, 11:49 AM
Metalline (MIC 38) - Changes the weapon to Adamantine, Alchemical Silver, Cold Iron, or ordinary steel as a standard action.

Morphing (MIC 39) - Changes the weapon (Any melee or thrown) into any other weapon of the same subcategory (Light, One-/Two-handed) as a standard action.

Transmuting (MIC 45) - On a successful hit against a creature with damage reduction, the weapon changes to the material to overcome the damage reduction, though it gains no other benefits. It lasts for 10 rounds (Though you'll probably hit the creature again in that time) or until you hit a creature with a different damage reduction.

If it's allowed, Proficient (A&EG) makes you proficient with the weapon regardless of what it is or what you're proficient with. Handy when the thing keeps changing.

kamikasei
2008-01-29, 11:50 AM
Consequently if it has the Morphing and Sizing property as well, you should be able to make the weapon transform into one you have a Feat for, and get the combined +2 to attack and +1 to damage. This makes the total cost of your magic properties only -1 to damage versus leaving it alone, making the Morphic property practically free, if you have a weapon specific Feat in your character build. Granted you lose the advantage if you start shape shifting your weapon around, but who said life was easy, right?

Be a Warblade; on a daily basis you can change the weapon and the feats. :smallbiggrin:

Person_Man
2008-01-29, 12:10 PM
What would be fun too is adding the Aptitude property (ToB) to the weapon as well. Aptitude lets you apply any weapon specific Feats you have to an Aptitude weapon (i.e. Weapon Focus, Specialization, Stunning Fist, Exotic Weapon Proficiency, etc.) and get a +1 to attack. If the Aptitude weapon happens to be the same type as the one you actually do have a Feat for, then you get an additional +1 to attack and damage.

Aptitude on a high crit threat range weapon + Lightning Maces feat = several extra attacks per turn

Hawriel
2008-01-29, 12:21 PM
Or you could get the Rod of Many Things. I think its in Tome of Magic. Well that WOTC spat book with all the magic items in it. I dont have it. Any way its a rod that with a press of a button or pull of a lever it can change into a short sword, short spear, grappling hook, staff, a bunch of other stuff. I think its a +1 weapon. If you want to have silver, cold iron or what ever els just replace the nomral blades with what ever material you want.