PDA

View Full Version : Why won't my scanner work?

Serpentine
2008-01-28, 10:10 AM
So I press the "SCAN" button on my Canon PIXMA MP160 Scanner/Printer/Photocopier. The "MP Navigator - MP160" program comes up - as a direct result of pressing the "SCAN" button. I click the "Photos/Documents (Platen)" link/line thing. It comes up with the scanning page -
"1. Place Documents
2. Select [Document Type]
3. Click [Scan]"

I do so.
"Scanning..."
"Scanning. Do not open document cover."

Bar runs across.
Scanner makes scanning-type noises.

"Cannot communicate with scanner.
Cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off. Check status.
Scanner driver will be closed.

Code: 2,155,0"

"Scanning failed."

Why won't it let me scan? :smallfrown: The scanner obviously is communicating with the computer, because doing something to one makes something happen with the other. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but it's still doing it, after a restart and everything.
I don't know whether it's related, but it seems like I need to restart my computer if I want to print out more than one document. Otherwise it comes up with something along the lines of "Printer in use. Wait for other document", when there's nothing there to print, and won't do anything.

Manga Shoggoth
2008-01-28, 10:16 AM
If the scanner uses TWAIN drivers, you may want to check which TWAIN data source is in use.

If you have a camera and scanner, and TWAIN is trying to talk to the camera by mistake, you may get this error.

Serpentine
2008-01-28, 10:25 AM
...Huh. :smallconfused: I must say I was rather dubious, partly because I have no idea what "TWAIN" is, but I unplugged my webcam... and it worked. Hurrah! Weird... Thankee :smallsmile:
Tonight's result can be seen in the You thread.

Trog
2008-01-28, 10:31 AM
Hey! Trog was watching that! :smallannoyed:

Bah. Great. No more webcam. Now all Trog has is a scanner that doesn't work.

:smalleek: Wait! Wait! *grabs head* Trog thinks it's working. Trog's head feels like it's gonna asplode.... :smallfurious:

No wait. That's just Trog's hangover kicking in. Nevermind. :smallannoyed:

Rawhide
2008-01-28, 10:33 AM
Mark TWAIN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWAIN)

Serpentine
2008-01-28, 10:43 AM
[COLOR="Sienna"]Hey! Trog was watching that! :smallannoyed:Sorry hun, that'll be another $39.95 :smallwink:

Serpentine
2008-01-28, 10:05 PM
AAAOOAaaaoaooooWAH
It's doing it again today :frown: I even tried plugging the camera in and pulling it out again.

Trog
2008-01-29, 12:36 AM
Sorry hun, that'll be another $39.95 :smallwink:

Gungnir
2008-01-29, 09:01 AM
Sorry hun, that'll be another $39.95 :smallwink:

That was seriously one of the better burns I've seen in a while. Well done sir.

I've never been any good at troubleshooting, but my schooling tells me to ask you if anything has changed since the scanner worked last.

Oh, actually, maybe if you use the "Safely Remove Hardware" program on the camera, it might fix it. There should be a little icon in your system tray next to your clock.

Serpentine
2008-01-29, 11:57 PM
Nothing has changed that I know of. The webcam doesn't have an entry in the "Safely Remove Hardware" thing.
Typically, the photocopy part of it still works fine, and the printing works as well as it ever did (with having to restart between different documents and all). :smallannoyed:

Felixaar
2008-01-30, 07:02 AM
Im more hands on when it comes to these sort of things, so cant really help unless you're willing to let me belt the cr fiddle with your computer. Good start would be to try the scanner on another computer to see if its the scanner, or the computer, that is the problem.