PDA

View Full Version : Guy from Anti-Heroes, younger xykon!!

paladinofshojo
2008-01-28, 03:55 PM
Has anyone ever noticed the startling similarities between Xykon and the hooded necromancer in Anti-Heroes?
a) Both are pretty laxed about their evil brand
b) Both have an incredible amount of wisdom of lore in "fantasy-story genre"
c) Both are arguably the most powerful characters in their respective comics
d) Both can take advantage of the gullibility of "good" guys

My giuess is that this necromancer is a younger Xykon, before he met RC, and was just wandering the world doing random acts of evil....

:xykon: sluaghter everone in the town, check......kill the resident hot shot paladin effortlessly to break the spirits of the forces of good, check......raise evil army and slaughter everything in sight.......check........(sigh)it's days like this that make me wish I had some PCs to play with........ohh hey that crown is awesome!!!

Green-Shirt Q
2008-01-28, 04:02 PM
"Percy, I think you've made green."

Listen, I think you have the wrong thread here. You should've put it to the anti-heroes thread!

Some Mod should destroy this! I probably could but I don't feel like it.

Admiral_Kelly
2008-01-28, 04:19 PM
No it shouldn't. The thread is on-topic and is not violating any forum rules.

I don't see the similarity. The Necromancer comes off as a well intentioned extremest while Xykon is utterly evil.

factotum
2008-01-28, 04:29 PM
What is "Anti-Heroes"?

Ancalagon
2008-01-28, 04:30 PM
A: totally different.
B: Xykon has more style.

OmegaDonut
2008-01-28, 05:25 PM
"Anti-Heroes" is a webcomic done in the OOTS art style by fourmer Zarah. You can see it in the Arts and Crafts forum.

Also, I think the fact that Xykon can't cast cleric spells pretty much clinches this theory.

Zarah
2008-01-28, 05:36 PM
Allow me to confirm what everyone else is saying and just note this:

My comic does not take place in the same world as OotS. So there. :smalltongue:

Szilard
2008-01-28, 05:45 PM
Maybe Xykon learned plane shift?:smalltongue:

Zurpl
2008-01-28, 05:47 PM
There is a link to "Anti-Heroes" below in my signature. Just click the banner... or right here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68504)

Have you ever considered the fact that maybe they have such similarities because Zarah used OotS, in fact the help Rich Burlew himself, as a major foundation for the way he designed the comic? I mean really he says "Special Thanks to Rich Burlew" at the bottom of every comic!

Hagentai
2008-02-10, 01:01 AM
You want a Xykon look a like?

Richard from looking for group.

Evil, Undead, and a good sence of humor. http://www.lfgcomic.com/

Hagentai
2008-02-10, 01:02 AM
You want a Xykon look a like?

Richard from looking for group.

Evil, Undead, and a good sence of humor. http://www.lfgcomic.com/

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-10, 03:17 AM
No WAY! Xykon is not the hooded guy, he can't cast divine spells.

Souju
2008-02-10, 03:38 AM
just cuz they look the same, doesn't mean they are the same :)
watch more anime, especially Tenchi :)

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-10, 07:06 AM
Uh, do you think possibly maybe Zarah was influenced by Rich Burlew's characterizations? I'm not accusing him of plagiarism, not by a long shot, but we all get our ideas somewhere. The foundation of Anti-Heroes' art style can reasonably be guessed to have at least a little influence on its plot and script as well, especially since they're in the same genre.

Okay, let me confess I haven't actually read Anti-Heroes, and was taking the OP's word for it. But after looking more closely at his post, they don't sound all that similar. Every similarity he listed is a fairly common trope in villains, with a) and b) being particularly common to the wry postmodernism of your average webcomic.

NorseItalian
2008-02-10, 12:16 PM
Hmm... not really seeing it.

...plus the fact that Zarah disproved it abour ten posts up...

Kurald Galain
2008-02-10, 12:29 PM
Okay, let me confess I haven't actually read Anti-Heroes,

Then perhaps you should do that, before jumping to conclusions.

Mauve Shirt
2008-02-10, 01:03 PM
This is silly. Anti-Heroes is clearly a completely unrelated plotline in a completely unrelated place, even if the author hadn't said so a few posts ago.

NikkTheTrick
2008-02-10, 02:35 PM
Well, Xykon is an uber-evil thing. The rest is pretty much details.

So yes, chances are Anti-Heroes, or any other comic that has an uber-evil overlord will have some kind of similarity...

kpenguin
2008-02-10, 02:41 PM
I'd just like to point out that Aldran is not some generic evil overlord out to rule the world. He seems to me to be a pretty swell guy who wants to save the world and is willing to do some nasty things to do it.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-10, 11:05 PM
Yeah, none of the arguments supporting this have that good of a base. I mean the A-H author said they aren't the same person.