PDA

View Full Version : Your Games Most Incredible Moment

Crazy757
2008-01-28, 04:19 PM
Well, you know we have all had at least one, weather incredible funny, or incredible amazing well if its all right with you lot, i would love to hear about it.

Mine was as follows:

A gaming session a few moths ago i was expecting 4 of my players to show up, but only two did, Sasha the party druid, and Chronos the party Ranger. At this point we were absent the rogue and the fighter.

My original plan was to spring the magor antigonest for this quest on them at the start, and have him jump away when he resieved even the slightest damage (party handycap, im a nice Dm) well, scinece he was invisable nither Chronos nor Sasha noticed him until he pounced on Sasha, and pinned her.

Chronos knocks his arrow and fires, see i made a rule i never thought id use, upon 3 critical hits you instantly kill the creature but if you confirm any more past that i start timesing my pc experiance by 2 per confirm.

So Chronos fires, 20, 20, 20, instant kill, but it gets better followed by a, 20, 20, 20, 20, and ended with a 19. x8 exp from defeating a cr 5 monster, but it gets better, he shoots and because of the 20% miss chance, the arrow flys right over its head, splits 3 trees in half before imbedding itself in the ground.

Of corse our antigonest runs off into the swamp screaming like a baby with its tail between its legs, so Chronos goes over and picks up the arrow, and ties it to his brestplate, calls it his "Lucky arrow".

After that i began to have suspitions that he loaded his d 20, but when i rolled it... 4, 1, 3, 1, 1. Stupid lucky arrow...:smallfurious:

Craig1f
2008-01-28, 04:25 PM
Seven 20s in a row seems ridiculous. I think the silliest I've seen is three 1s in a row.

Keld Denar
2008-01-28, 04:30 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70726

Level 15ish party vs a Shadowed Beholder Hive Mother Blackguard2...aprox CR was around 19-20. Longest, toughest, most satisfying combat I've ever had playing D&D. The whole table was sweating by the end.

Prometheus
2008-01-28, 04:34 PM
Lets see that would be a 1/(20^7) chance or a probability of 7.8125*10^-10. I think its more likely that you are lying or have a seriously flawed rolling mechanism.

EvilElitest
2008-01-28, 04:39 PM
My PCs were working for a general in helping him overthrow a corrupt goverment. After the coup, the general declared himself dictator. The paladin then killed him and when the angry mob approach he was able to calm them. Then another player stood up and spoke

"Friends, Humans, Countrymen, lend me your ears,
I've come to Bury Marcus not to praise him"

he had memorized the entire speech before hand and i had no idea
from
EE

Swordguy
2008-01-28, 04:50 PM
Lets see that would be a 1/(20^7) chance or a probability of 7.8125*10^-10. I think its more likely that you are lying or have a seriously flawed rolling mechanism.

Improbable doesn't mean impossible. I've been in a Shadowrun game where every single one of the 28 d6s rolled on a fireball spell came up ones. We stopped playing for the night and took a LOT of pictures. Submitted the story to Karen's CLUE Files on dumpshock.com and she went so far as to track down my players and call them for confirmation.

Improbable stuff CAN happen.

@ EE: That's 100% awesome. I love it when players do that sort of thing - it makes the game seem SO much cooler.

kamikasei
2008-01-28, 04:59 PM

Bear in mind that that's the probability of rolling any set of seven numbers. 1,13,17,4,6,19,8 is just as improbable a sequence.

Remember also that you have to bear in mind how many times they've rolled d20s. And how many other combinations would cause a "what the!?" reaction. Million-to-one chances happen to six thousand people a day.*

* Not precisely, of course. But I lack the statistical knowledge to be more correct here.

Lady Tialait
2008-01-28, 05:11 PM
The BEST moment in one of my Games was one I ran about two years ago, The setup was that there was Three groups of peaple playing under me. Each with four players. One I ran on Friday, one on Saturday, and one on Sunday, they all had the same BBEG who was like CR 28 or something, I never figured it out. And I had his General playing against each. Well, at the end of that Loooong campaign everyone in each group was level 20 and all of them just had gotten to the BBEG, so we had a single session for everyone. A HUGE group, but it was only one combat, and ended up being the greatest combat that i've ever ran.
That is the most incredible moment. And the power levels were over 9000....

Solo
2008-01-28, 05:54 PM
When my level 6 barbarian charged through an inn wall to attack a wraith that was in the process of killing off a teammate, shouting as he busted through the wall:

"OH YEAH!"

hylian chozo
2008-01-28, 06:20 PM
When my level 6 barbarian charged through an inn wall to attack a wraith that was in the process of killing off a teammate, shouting as he busted through the wall:

"OH YEAH!"

That's just like my level 8 cleric busting through tavern wall to outrun a bomb that killed everyone else that he would have survived anyway.

its_all_ogre
2008-01-28, 06:26 PM
well the last session had a barbarian/scout swallowed whole by a behir, while another was swallowing the dwarf fighter and the third was constricting the megaraptor mount which the ranger just dived off.
ranger gets swallowed by the one that had just swallowed the bar/scout.
rangers action dual wielding daggers deals 35 hps damage and carves own way out in one turn!

this is what happens when 5 level 6 pcs meet 4 behirs (CR8 each) and decide to attack.....
luckily they survived, although the wolf animal companion died so did the megaraptor mount....

ashmanonar
2008-01-28, 06:28 PM

"OH YEAH!"

Epic.

Very epic.

RS14
2008-01-28, 06:33 PM
After that i began to have suspitions that he loaded his d 20, but when i rolled it... 4, 1, 3, 1, 1. Stupid lucky arrow...:smallfurious:

Well, some loaded dice are variable; something such as wax is placed in them so that the target can be adjusted by blowing on the die with the target on top or by holding it firmly in the same position. Not to accuse anything; I'm just saying that if you're to the point of checking the dice, you might want to remember this.

kieza
2008-01-28, 06:40 PM
One of my players in an arena tournament dived on his opponent from 1200 feet with a flock of Fiendish Dire Bats, shooting Fireballs most of the way. The thing is, in order to get to ground level before the summons ended, he had to just fall 3/4 of the way and then pull up using Fly. 5 of his 8 bats failed their Reflex saves to start flying again, and hit the ground for 120d6 damage. As I put it, "Now they're Fiendish Dire Splats!

From the other guy's perspective, his opponent vanished (Dimension Door to 1200 feet), and then there were a couple of fireballs, and then five bats fell out of the sky and made a mess almost on top of him.

Fuzzy_Juan
2008-01-28, 06:50 PM
I still remember an 'epic' Oh $h!t moment in a game...a wizard polymorphed into some flying creature to assist in a battle...a warrior who had started to dabble in sorcerer (just got 2nd level sor spells) climbed on his back to shoot arrows and help however he coud once they entered the besieged castle.

Well...enemy spellcaster saw the huge flying thing and decided that flesh to stone would be a great spell to cast...a failed save later the two were SoL. The mages feather fall device was ruled to still work, but the rider failed a dex check to stay on when the momentum shifted violently and was launched towards the castle...I said...ok...200 ft till you hit the ground...i'll give you 30 seconds but I just don't know what you are gonna do...

He frantically scans his sheet for anything he can use...

"Can I angle my fall to pass close to the angle between the tower and wall?" (he visually shows what he means)

"I guess...sure...not sure what that will do ya but ok."

"Ok...I cast web in the area between the wall and the tower and aim straight through the middle as best I can...Can I purposely fail my strength check and get stuck?"

I laughed so damn hard at the inginuity of the spell-use I didn't bother making him roll concentration or something to aim himself right. (I did have him make the strength check with a +10 to his roll telling him he would take a die of damage for each point that he passed his check...thankfully he failed his check with a 2 and was stuck fast).

One of the most brilliant uses of a spell under stress I have encountered.

theMycon
2008-01-28, 06:56 PM
Barbarian (6 or 7)- despite having an int & cha of 7 or 8, I was de facto leader through amazingly lucky rolls & being the only one too dumb to notice my party was in the middle of a civil war- and thus, the only person who was more focused on getting loot than getting even.

Us three barbarians were separate from everyone else- we caused less trouble as separate groups, the other people were needed for diplomatic action, and I figured someone needed to find a book -ignoring the fact that the cleric had a spell that'd find it immediately. A few incorporeal thingies (wraiths, I suppose) appear and attack. But we're all busy trying to find a book and have uncanny dodge. We don't notice we're getting attacked for seven rounds. We've noticed we're dodging for no good reason, and there's the occasional hit for 1 damage (negated by the barb's DR1/-), and the other two assume our sorcerer's making us all have small seizures. We're in a shouting match with the (not here) sorcerer when, finally, one hits for 2 damage. Oh, just a monster.

We all slash at that one, and... no magic weapons, they go straight through. We, dodging every attack, calmly make a few more experimentative hits, which continue to go through. We're bored and about to go back to looking for books, when i decide to try fire. Flint & steel, it recoils from the spark. So I knock a bookshelf over (to remove all the books, light it on fire, and whack him with it. The beast shutters. I chase him around the library with a flaming bookshelf, killing it/them.

Now the entire library's on fire, and we still haven't found the book.

*This almost actually made sense, sadly. They were off okaying our collateral damage with the local government. They had obscene bluff/diplomacy bonuses, and the easiest way to do anything way to make sure we never had to care about the law. However, my character had forgotten the others couldn't read.

Ascension
2008-01-28, 07:20 PM
We just started up a level 5 campaign. We've got an elven wizard in our party who's at an 8 strength and didn't bother purchasing any weapons whatsoever because of it.

We were in an intense battle with a large group of goblins and assorted critters when a barghest casts rage on him. We end up with a raging caster. On his next turn he charges the closest goblin bare-handed... and proceeds to get some amazingly good rolls. The goblin was already heavily damaged, and the wizard managed to take him down.

I've been saying he should multiclass as a barbarian ever since.

TheLogman
2008-01-28, 08:05 PM
I let my players do a Knowledge Religion check to figure out the weaknesses of the end boss of the Tomb of Horrors. They succeeded, and I suggested that a "Word of Power" (Any Powerword) or a "Biting of its eye" (Eyebite) would be the most effective. Now, they had been 2-3 rounds in of combat at this time, and they had all just barely avoided the boss's instant death attack. When it comes to my friend's turn, he bursts out laughing and declares: "I bite its eye!" This is followed by some laughter, and I declare that the boss should make a reflex save to avoid it. Soon, everyone is either casting support or Biting the thing's eye. Eventually, they kill it though some vicious Biting of the Eyes, and beat the Tomb of Horrors.

LibraryOgre
2008-01-28, 11:02 PM
When my True Atlantean Shifter (a type of wizard who specializes in traveling the dimensions) - turned witch - turned traitor sacrificed most of his magical energy to get the party through a dimensional portal, then faced down the Demon God he had betrayed in single combat.

For the record, he died. We didn't even bother to roll it; he was VASTLY overmatched, but was just buying enough time for the rest of the group to get away. Scared the heck out of the neighbors when I shouted HORUS! however.