PDA

View Full Version : Ghost DC

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-28, 11:49 PM
Shouldn't be possible to jump down with someone just scrying for you. Totally homebrew religious afterlife system.

monty
2008-01-29, 12:35 AM
It's the whole ancestral sword thing. His spirit is linked to the weapon; he just hadn't figured out how to use it yet.

FujinAkari
2008-01-29, 12:56 AM
Shouldn't be possible to jump down with someone just scrying for you. Totally homebrew religious afterlife system.

... and your point is? lol

Khanderas
2008-01-29, 02:32 AM
This is why there is a Rule 0.
If the DM thinks it would be fun, let it happen. More DM's should do that instead of doing things 100% by the books IMO (In My Opinion).
Sides ghosts with casting (the scrying preformed, by an arcane caster on a devine focus no less) is problebly a greater "violation" especially when you take the ancestral sword into account.

Quorothorn
2008-01-29, 02:48 AM
Shouldn't be possible to jump down with someone just scrying for you. Totally homebrew religious afterlife system. (Emphasis mine.)

Exactly. I might be wrong here, but it does seem that OotS' entire nation/religion/etc set-up was designed by the Giant (well, sure, Thor's in that one book, but given that D&D owes its existence to LotR, which owes its own to Beowulf, which is basically Norse, and Thor is a Norse god...it was pretty much inevitable he'd be mentioned somewhere).

Callista
2008-01-29, 03:23 AM
It's homebrew, but there's nothing about it that violates any rules. The afterlife Roy and Eugene are in just happens to be a plane where anybody can do scrying, if they can concentrate enough. Same goes for the sword--a ghost in D&D is somebody with unfinished business. Not only that, but a D&D ghost has the equipment it was buried with, which disappears if somebody digs up the grave and takes the equipment--after which the ghost knows where it's gone and tries to take it back! So a link between a spirit and its equipment isn't unknown; and a unique object like Roy's sword is more likely to link to him than something mundane, anyway.

Point being: It's homebrew, but nothing against the rules here.

Barbolanero
2008-01-29, 02:06 PM
(Emphasis mine.)

Exactly. I might be wrong here, but it does seem that OotS' entire nation/religion/etc set-up was designed by the Giant (well, sure, Thor's in that one book, but given that D&D owes its existence to LotR, which owes its own to Beowulf, which is basically Norse, and Thor is a Norse god...it was pretty much inevitable he'd be mentioned somewhere).

(emphasis is mine)

Really? I didn't know that you could just trace the origins of LotR to just one source, you know cause it's a literary masterpiece and all, and as such it has more than just one literary source, being the fact that it has several actually, and it's inspired in a vast amount of mithologies, not only Beowulf. Just a thought.

chibibar
2008-01-29, 02:16 PM
It is not uncommon really. A lot of ghost stories have items that they are "attach" to. This is Roy's sword (and a magical one at that) which already allow Eugene to appear before Roy, so Roy could appear before Haley since they still have the sword (and it is whole).