PDA

View Full Version : Dune 2000

Nameless
2008-01-29, 04:29 AM
Has to be one of my favorite Stratagy games, it was also my first.
Unfortunatly my CD broke which is a real shame, I'll have to try getting a nother one soon. :smallfrown:

They're re-making the old Dune movie, so they might come out with some new games for it, hopefully they won't muck it up... :smalleek:

Lady Tialait
2008-01-29, 04:47 AM
Yeah, i have a copy...acually two, but they are with my dad, I love that game, What Faction do you like to play?

oh and the reason I even saw the movies was the game, the only reason I played the game was the books. I love Dune books. They make Tolkien look like soggy paper next to thier dryness.

Nameless
2008-01-29, 08:16 AM
Yeah, i have a copy...acually two, but they are with my dad, I love that game, What Faction do you like to play?

oh and the reason I even saw the movies was the game, the only reason I played the game was the books. I love Dune books. They make Tolkien look like soggy paper next to thier dryness.

I usually play the the harconens or the atradies, it was one of the first computer game's I ever played and was the first stratigy game I'd ever lay eyes on.
And still to this day it is my favorite.

The movie was okay, but I hope the new one would be better.

RandomLogic
2008-01-29, 10:37 AM
Hey me too! I have two copies I believe because I would lan against my friends.

I usually played Harkonnen or Atredies, I couldn't deal with the Ordos tanks so I'd never really play them.

I also had a couple copies of Emporer: Battle for Dune but that game wasn't as good imho, but it did add lots of diversity to the units.

Nyarlethotep
2008-01-29, 11:41 AM
Ordos were always my favourite. Deviators and Saboteurs for the win! I just love their insidious style.

Nameless
2008-01-29, 11:55 AM
Right now I'm just extreamly peed that it's not working.
It's my seconned coppie and I douped they sell the in any shop, I'm not even sure why it's not working, it starts, and then it just turns it off. :smallfrown:
My first coppie was stolen. :smallannoyed:

The ordos are pretty awesome but there buildings and vehicals look strange.

Dune and Dune II were terrible. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Also, concidering the game was made in 1998, the graphics are AMAZING! All the movies and stuff too. It was a seriously underated Game.

Book-wize, I'm not sure if it beats Tolken as I haven't read it, the movie was okay, but the dierector was no good. lotR Is an amazing book actually.

Neo
2008-01-29, 02:04 PM
Ironically Dune 2000 was just Dune 2 with a graphical facelift lol, think even most of the levels were the same or similar.

SmartAlec
2008-01-29, 02:18 PM
I remember that game! I loved it for the fact that infantry tactics actually worked against powerful installations and tracked vehicles if you used the terrain to your advantage, which was exactly the case in the actual book.

Played as the Atreides. Muad'Dib! Muad'Dib! Muad'Dib!

Telok
2008-01-29, 02:38 PM
I loved that game. I made sure to win on each faction just to watch the movies.

I preferred the Harkonnen because they had the best palaces. I'd build five or six of them and just nuke holes in the enemy defenses for my forces to assault through.

How effective the Atreades air unit was depended on the game speed. At low speeds missiles were more accurate and could catch it easily. At high speeds it was almost untouchable and astonishingly dangerous unless faced with massed missile turrets. Just one Atreades palace was useless, it took three or four before you could get decent numbers of troops from them. The random placement was a downside too.

I think my favorite thing to do was build a starport and wait until there was a sale on trikes. Buy twenty or so and send them all on suicide scouting missions to the other side of the map. Speed and numbers assured that they would make it there, even though none of them ever made it back.

Nameless
2008-01-29, 04:05 PM
I loved that game. I made sure to win on each faction just to watch the movies.

I preferred the Harkonnen because they had the best palaces. I'd build five or six of them and just nuke holes in the enemy defenses for my forces to assault through.

How effective the Atreades air unit was depended on the game speed. At low speeds missiles were more accurate and could catch it easily. At high speeds it was almost untouchable and astonishingly dangerous unless faced with massed missile turrets. Just one Atreades palace was useless, it took three or four before you could get decent numbers of troops from them. The random placement was a downside too.

I think my favorite thing to do was build a starport and wait until there was a sale on trikes. Buy twenty or so and send them all on suicide scouting missions to the other side of the map. Speed and numbers assured that they would make it there, even though none of them ever made it back.

Agreed, Harconens were the most fun to play, they always had the best rock formations to build on.
I loved it when you hade 2 rocks connecet to eachother and stuff. :smalltongue:
The only downside, is that when you did practice games, you could never have allies.

I might buy a new cop off amazon.

EDIT: The best part of Dune... is the music... AMAZING! I JUST LOVE IT! I'm listening to it now and it's bringing back so many memories of spending hours building up my huge army... :smallsmile:

Om
2008-01-29, 05:35 PM
Are we talking about the same game here? A cheap C&C knock-off that was incredibly bland and entirely unoriginal? Its best that Dune 2000 (and Battle for Dune) are forgotten. Then the innovation of the first two titles can stand unblemished

Nameless
2008-01-30, 05:33 AM
Are we talking about the same game here? A cheap C&C knock-off that was incredibly bland and entirely unoriginal? Its best that Dune 2000 (and Battle for Dune) are forgotten. Then the innovation of the first two titles can stand unblemished

Umm... Dune came before C&C... C&C was based off dune which was based off the movie which was based off the book...

Om
2008-01-30, 05:44 AM
Umm... Dune came before C&C... C&C was based off dune which was based off the movie which was based off the book...No. Dune 2000 (which you explicitly differentiated from Dune and Dune II) was published two years after Red Alert ('96) and three years after the original C&C ('95). It was essentially a "reimagining" of Dune II using the C&C engine

Nameless
2008-01-30, 06:54 AM
No. Dune 2000 (which you explicitly differentiated from Dune and Dune II) was published two years after Red Alert ('96) and three years after the original C&C ('95). It was essentially a "reimagining" of Dune II using the C&C engine

Aye, but the priginal dune came out in 95...

Om
2008-01-30, 07:19 AM
So what game are you talking about - Dune or Dune 2000? :smallconfused:

(And Dune II was released in '92)

Prince Gimli
2008-01-30, 07:24 AM
Dune and Dune II were terrible. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Also, concidering the game was made in 1998, the graphics are AMAZING! All the movies and stuff too. It was a seriously underated Game.

Dune I and II terrible? Heresy! *Smites with Orange Catholic Bible* :smallwink:

Now that that's over with. I enjoyed Dune I and II much more that I enjoyed Dune 2000. But nostalgic feelings also play a role there, because I was 12-13 when I played those games. Dune 2000 was still enjoyable because the interface was better than that of Dune II. But other than that it wasn't original or anything, just a partially succuesful and partially failed attempt to revive the glory of Dune II using the C&C engine. I have had these urges to play Dune 2000, but once I reached mission 4 or 5 of one side I got bored with it. But your enthousiasm has inspired me to give it a try again :smallsmile:

Nameless
2008-01-30, 08:00 AM
So what game are you talking about - Dune or Dune 2000? :smallconfused:

(And Dune II was released in '92)

Dune 2000, but we're haveing an argument on what game came out first, and the answere is Dune.
C&C was actually based on the dune game, if you look at them (mainly RAII and Dune 2k) You'll see a lot of similarities in the game play.
For example,the way you build buildings, and the way they load, also when it says stuff like "construction complete" these were all in the dune games.
And Dune II the game was not realieasd in 92, it would make no sence as it was for windows 95.
@Panther, Dune I was horific in my opinion, Dune II was much better and is very simialr to Dune 2000, but I hate playing strategy games with 2D graphics.

Bavarian itP
2008-01-30, 08:32 AM
Dune 2000, but we're haveing an argument on what game came out first, and the answere is Dune.

No, you don't. You have an argument on wether Dune 2000 is C&C with new textures or not.

C&C was actually based on the dune game, if you look at them (mainly RAII and Dune 2k) You'll see a lot of similarities in the game play.
For example,the way you build buildings, and the way they load, also when it says stuff like "construction complete" these were all in the dune games.

Of course, but that's not the point.

And Dune II the game was not realieasd in 92, it would make no sence as it was for windows 95.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_II

Nameless
2008-01-30, 12:12 PM
No, you don't. You have an argument on wether Dune 2000 is C&C with new textures or not.

Of course, but that's not the point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_II

Dune 2000 came after the original C&C, but the original Dune and I'm pretty sure the seconed one came before, Dune 2k was the relieased in 1998 using the C&C graphics, but the actualy game was pretty much the same as Dune II.
But both game were made buy Westwood, so neather game is a knock off of the other, just with some similareties.
Although if we really want to think of it that way, then C&C was based off Dune II.

@wiki link: That make's no sence though, how could a windows 95 game come out that early, unless it was originaly reliesed on something else which I didn't know about.
Last I heard, Dune II came out in 1995 or 1996.

Bavarian itP
2008-01-30, 01:59 PM
@wiki link: That make's no sence though, how could a windows 95 game come out that early, unless it was originaly reliesed on something else which I didn't know about.
Last I heard, Dune II came out in 1995 or 1996.

It was not an Win95 game, it was a DOS game. http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/36/Dune+2.html confirms 1992.

Nameless
2008-01-30, 03:45 PM
It was not an Win95 game, it was a DOS game. http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/36/Dune+2.html confirms 1992.

Ah, buy 1995 it must of have been made for widows 95 which is what I read...

But this actually helps my argument and confirms that Dune came before C&C. :smalltongue:

Neo
2008-01-30, 04:44 PM
He was never disputing that, just you kinda switched from dune 2000 to dune without stopping so he was clarifying lol

Bavarian itP
2008-01-31, 02:04 AM
He was never disputing that, just you kinda switched from dune 2000 to dune without stopping so he was clarifying lol

Exactly. at least ten charcacters

Nameless
2008-02-02, 12:44 PM
Yay! I've just orderd Dune 2000.

This will be my third coppie... :smallannoyed:

Nameless
2008-02-06, 01:18 PM
Woot! I just got it... again! it's awesome! :smallcool:

Gol_Stoan
2008-02-07, 01:17 AM
I still have a dos version of Dune 2 on floppy and CD, neither of which have ever worked in Win95. Goes back to the good old days when you had to make boot disks to get enough expanded memory to run some DOS games. I need to try running it in DosBox or something.

I have Dune 2000 and Emperor Battle for Dune as well with its weird perversion of the movie/book storyline. I have read all of the books, Dune 2 was what got me interested in the series, though most of the combat in the books is dirty hand to hand fighting with knives, projectile weapons had fallen into disuse with the advent of personal shields. Of course energy shields are not used on Arrakis however (not in the open desert at least), it really pisses off the worms, drives them into a killing frenzy. Artillery is mentioned, and maula pistols, slow stunners and Lasguns of course, but there is no mention whatsoever of tanks or armored vehicles, they would attract too many worms. It was still a fun game though.

Oddly I really dislike the C&C series, the subject matter just doesn't appeal to me that much, not sci-fi enough for me I guess. Total Annihilation is better all around, and its offspring in all but name, Supreme Commander. Warhammer 40k Dawn of War is good too.

Nameless
2008-02-07, 03:33 AM
I still have a dos version of Dune 2 on floppy and CD, neither of which have ever worked in Win95. Goes back to the good old days when you had to make boot disks to get enough expanded memory to run some DOS games. I need to try running it in DosBox or something.

I have Dune 2000 and Emperor Battle for Dune as well with its weird perversion of the movie/book storyline. I have read all of the books, Dune 2 was what got me interested in the series, though most of the combat in the books is dirty hand to hand fighting with knives, projectile weapons had fallen into disuse with the advent of personal shields. Of course energy shields are not used on Arrakis however (not in the open desert at least), it really pisses off the worms, drives them into a killing frenzy. Artillery is mentioned, and maula pistols, slow stunners and Lasguns of course, but there is no mention whatsoever of tanks or armored vehicles, they would attract too many worms. It was still a fun game though.

Oddly I really dislike the C&C series, the subject matter just doesn't appeal to me that much, not sci-fi enough for me I guess. Total Annihilation is better all around, and its offspring in all but name, Supreme Commander. Warhammer 40k Dawn of War is good too.

I quite like C&C actually, I've just always had a thing for Dune 2000 even though there are games with much better graphics and game play.

Nameless
2008-02-09, 08:07 AM
Grrr... It's done it again, I put the folowing question on the post abouve ages ago, but it hasn't seem to of have come out, so I'll post it again. :smalltongue:

How is Emperor Battle? Is it better then Dune 2000? :smalltongue:

Gol_Stoan
2008-02-10, 02:45 AM
Emperor is pretty fun actually, the weapons and vehicles are more house specific in this one though. The game is fully 3d, maybe an early version of the Generals engine, not sure. The Harkonnens have a fast buzzsaw looking vehicle that is perfect for running over infantry units (looks a lot like General Grevious' bike in SW:III) The Devastator tank is now a mech. There tends to be an emphasis on poison and flame in the Harkonnen arsenal. The Ordos have a lot of fast, delicate, laser armed, energy shielded, hovercraft. The Atreides have fast mechs, and is probably the most well balanced I think. There is also the addition of the "minor houses" which are not playable by themselves, but can be added to one of the major houses in the game.

In the campaign, which gives you more choices about which territory to attack, you have opportunities to form alliances with minor houses that give additional unit options. You also get reinforcements from neighboring territories that come in during battle. Not only do you attack territories, but you also defend them as well.

In skirmish games you can pick two different minor houses to be allied with. The minor houses are the Fremen, Sardaukar, Ix, Tleilaxu, and the Spacing Guild. The battles are no longer limited to Arrakis, but can include Caladan, Geidi Prime, and the Ordos homeworld. There is also a mission that takes place inside a Guild Highliner. I usually like to play Atreides with Fremen and Sardaukar.

There is now a Fremen barracks, that gives you Fremen and Fedaykin units, (they are no longer available at the Atreides palace, there is a more esoteric "superweapon" now) The fremen and fedaykin can only be seen by units that can detect stealth units. The regular fremen are sniper units, the fedaykin can call and ride worms, and shoot "weirding modules" like in the movie.

The Sardaukar have a regular trooper and a more elite one (can't remember names offhand :smalltongue:) the regular one has a multibarreled machine gun, and the elite trooper has a lasgun and uses a knife at close range. (Which would more accurately represent the Fremen in my opinion).

The Ix factory produces tanks that project holograms of other vehicles, and a stealth bomb unit.

The Tleilaxu produce biotanks that copy themselves by infecting enemy vehicles, which then turn into biotanks if the larvae is not shot off within a certain amount of time. They also have a zombie unit that does the same thing with infantry units.

The story continues the quirky odd take on Dune of Dune 2000. There are odd little plot twists and ideas taken from the books that are taken in weird extreme directions.

Nameless
2008-02-10, 03:12 AM
Emperor is pretty fun actually, the weapons and vehicles are more house specific in this one though. The game is fully 3d, maybe an early version of the Generals engine, not sure. The Harkonnens have a fast buzzsaw looking vehicle that is perfect for running over infantry units (looks a lot like General Grevious' bike in SW:III) The Devastator tank is now a mech. There tends to be an emphasis on poison and flame in the Harkonnen arsenal. The Ordos have a lot of fast, delicate, laser armed, energy shielded, hovercraft. The Atreides have fast mechs, and is probably the most well balanced I think. There is also the addition of the "minor houses" which are not playable by themselves, but can be added to one of the major houses in the game.

In the campaign, which gives you more choices about which territory to attack, you have opportunities to form alliances with minor houses that give additional unit options. You also get reinforcements from neighboring territories that come in during battle. Not only do you attack territories, but you also defend them as well.

In skirmish games you can pick two different minor houses to be allied with. The minor houses are the Fremen, Sardaukar, Ix, Tleilaxu, and the Spacing Guild. The battles are no longer limited to Arrakis, but can include Caladan, Geidi Prime, and the Ordos homeworld. There is also a mission that takes place inside a Guild Highliner. I usually like to play Atreides with Fremen and Sardaukar.

There is now a Fremen barracks, that gives you Fremen and Fedaykin units, (they are no longer available at the Atreides palace, there is a more esoteric "superweapon" now) The fremen and fedaykin can only be seen by units that can detect stealth units. The regular fremen are sniper units, the fedaykin can call and ride worms, and shoot "weirding modules" like in the movie.

The Sardaukar have a regular trooper and a more elite one (can't remember names offhand :smalltongue:) the regular one has a multibarreled machine gun, and the elite trooper has a lasgun and uses a knife at close range. (Which would more accurately represent the Fremen in my opinion).

The Ix factory produces tanks that project holograms of other vehicles, and a stealth bomb unit.

The Tleilaxu produce biotanks that copy themselves by infecting enemy vehicles, which then turn into biotanks if the larvae is not shot off within a certain amount of time. They also have a zombie unit that does the same thing with infantry units.

The story continues the quirky odd take on Dune of Dune 2000. There are odd little plot twists and ideas taken from the books that are taken in weird extreme directions.

Sounds fun.
The only thing in Dune 2K that annoys me, is that you can't really have allies (exeped the fremen really but they're usless) and you can't have allies in the skirmishe's. :smalltongue:
I wonder if they still sell Emporer Battle in shops...