PDA

View Full Version : An NPC Proves V is in fact a girl?

Drackthor
2008-01-29, 11:15 PM
Issue 135, in the potion shop where the prices are way too low, the wife says, when referring to V, "She may be right."

I personally don't believe V is a girl, but when you see something like this it's hard to think otherwise.

Glyde
2008-01-29, 11:19 PM
All the characters, when saying he or she, is stating their opinion of what they think V is.

Confirmed by The Giant iirc.

Lira
2008-01-29, 11:19 PM
Haven't you read the FAQ?

Q: Is Vaarsuvius male or female?

A: I will never reveal the truth! Bwahaha! Keep in mind that while certain other characters might refer to V as being male or female, that simply reveals their perception.not the actual reality of the situation.http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq10

Chronos
2008-01-29, 11:39 PM
Some characters have referred to Vaarsuvius as a male, and some as a female. A few have even thought both at different times, including Sabine. And if anyone in the comic knows about humanoid sexuality, it's Sabine.

In other words, it can be absolutely, definitively stated that there is no answer.

monty
2008-01-30, 01:14 AM
I think Sabine actually said both in the same comic, although they may have been different ones. Point is, not only can the characters be mistaken, but some even change their mind.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-01-30, 01:17 AM
One of these days, the FAQ is going to be properly linked and presented on the pageframe again, and the number of V's Gender threads will be cut in half overnight.

TheWarBlade
2008-01-30, 01:22 AM
how do you make a comment that is in a box that has the spoiler button?

Lira
2008-01-30, 01:25 AM
I think Sabine actually said both in the same comic, although they may have been different ones. Point is, not only can the characters be mistaken, but some even change their mind.That's right.

:sabine: : The elf dude is old and highly skilled at magic... and an apprentice would be young and barely competent! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0252.html)

---

:sabine: : You got it, sister. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html)

how do you make a comment that is in a box that has the spoiler button?Text here

Lord_Drayakir
2008-01-30, 01:39 AM
One of these days, the FAQ is going to be properly linked and presented on the pageframe again, and the number of V's Gender threads will be cut in half overnight.

No they won't.

Chronos
2008-01-30, 01:46 AM
I dunno; I personally think it's entertaining to see a newbie who's just discovered one of these little pronoun-drops, and thinks he has The Answer. It never lasts, though.

factotum
2008-01-30, 02:59 AM
:sabine: : You got it, sister. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html)

Admittedly, she was drunk when she made the second statement... :smallwink:

NerfTW
2008-01-30, 09:20 AM

It's at the bottom of the News box.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-01-30, 10:58 AM
how do you make a comment that is in a box that has the spoiler button?
text

Obviously, it's not drawing the attention it needs to.

monty
2008-01-30, 10:59 AM

The problem is nobody looks at that. If it were somewhere more prominent, it might be noticed more.

The Extinguisher
2008-01-30, 01:52 PM
The only person who we know for sure knows V's gender is Haley (and well, V) and Haley has never used a pronoun for V.

Ecalsneerg
2008-01-30, 02:17 PM
I've nothing against the existence of these threads, it's the fact they seem to imply the OP was the first to notice something 400 strips ago...

David Argall
2008-01-30, 03:31 PM
The only person who we know for sure knows V's gender is Haley (and well, V) and Haley has never used a pronoun for V.

Well, V's mate knows ... I think.

TheWarBlade
2008-01-30, 04:05 PM
Thank you for that guys, I had been looking over the page but could not find it.

Well, V's mate knows ... I think.

Yes I agree that maybe V's mate will know but as Rich wrote in the On the Origin of the PCs:

V's mate will show up in the comic

Chronos
2008-01-30, 04:13 PM
The only person who we know for sure knows V's gender is Haley (and well, V) and Haley has never used a pronoun for V.Does she? Sure, they share a room, but maybe Haley is polite enough to not stare when V is changing.

TheWarBlade, did you mean to put the word "not" in that spoiler?

Lira
2008-01-30, 04:28 PM
Does she? Sure, they share a room, but maybe Haley is polite enough to not stare when V is changing.I think the reason that people tend to assume that Haley knows V's gender is because Haley and V were friends before the order got together and they tell each other things. For example, V told Haley that V was married, and Haley has presumably told V some of her secrets (OOTS #309 "Oh, no, it couldn't be THAT, could it? Even V doesn't know that one...") ...So it's natural to assume that Haley would know V's gender, right?

TheWarBlade, did you mean to put the word "not" in that spoiler?I don't think he did. He cited the wrong book, but Rich did state that V's mate will show up sometime (he said that in the No Cure for the Paladin Blues book).

FoE
2008-01-30, 05:25 PM
Admittedly, she was drunk when she made the second statement... :smallwink:

I'll note that Belkar also kissed V when he was drunk. Maybe booze makes V look more like a chick ....?

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-01-30, 05:31 PM
I'll note that Belkar also kissed V when he was drunk. Maybe booze makes V look more like a chick ....?

From what I hear and see, enough booze in a male makes everything, down to and including ashtrays and barstools, look like attractive females.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

Shawnis
2008-01-30, 05:45 PM
The only way we would ever find out if V is a male or female is some perv wizard casted "dispell clothes" or "disintergrate clothes" on V

Felixaar
2008-01-30, 07:15 PM
Issue 135, in the potion shop where the prices are way too low, the wife says, when referring to V, "She may be right."

I personally don't believe V is a girl, but when you see something like this it's hard to think otherwise.

in the exact same comic the husband refers to her as a he.

Lira
2008-01-30, 07:25 PM
in the exact same comic the husband refers to her as a he.Umm, no. No one refers to V as a male in 135.

Chronos
2008-01-30, 07:51 PM
...So it's natural to assume that Haley would know V's gender, right?More precisely, it's natural to assume that Haley might know. She's certainly more likely than any of the other Stickers (other than V emself, of course) to know. But she also might not know.

Quorothorn
2008-01-30, 09:27 PM
The only way we would ever find out if V is a male or female is some perv wizard casted "dispell clothes" or "disintergrate clothes" on V

You mean sort of like here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html)?

In other words: nope, not even then.

Infinity_Biscuit
2008-01-30, 10:17 PM
There's actually a Druid spell from the Spell Compendium that does that as a side effect: Miasma of Entropy.

The_Hunting_Enemy
2008-01-30, 10:39 PM
V is male. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html)

Origin of the PCs, Haley is in the bath and has obvious curves at her shoulders. V does not.

Posted this in the other V thread too.

And why does no one pay attention in all the other V threads when it has been stated that all NPCs view V differently?

FoE
2008-01-30, 11:38 PM
That just means V is not an overly curvaceous girl.

Spiky
2008-01-30, 11:42 PM
Why is another ************ V gender thread the top thread again? Don't you people have any compassion for others??

Chronos
2008-01-31, 12:01 AM
I'm not sure what you expect that to accomplish, Spiky... Anyone who's reading this thread already gets the message that V's gender is uncertain. It's too late to stop this one, and it won't have any effect on the next one.

monty
2008-01-31, 12:07 AM
Why is another ************ V gender thread the top thread again? Don't you people have any compassion for others??

I understand your feeling.

FujinAkari
2008-01-31, 03:10 AM
If you don't want to talk about it... don't.

I will never understand people who think themselves the Geheime Staatspolizeir of the internet... trying to regulate what other people are allowed to discuss...

Quorothorn
2008-01-31, 05:15 AM
If you don't want to talk about it... don't.

I will never understand people who think themselves the Geheime Staatspolizeir of the internet... trying to regulate what other people are allowed to discuss...

*Is very tired, confused and curious.* The Geheime what now?

SoD
2008-01-31, 05:47 AM
It is true! NPCs and PCs alike have refurred to V as being female! This prooves it! Why did I not realise it before?

It is true! NPCs and PCs alike have refurred to V as being male! This prooves it! Why did I not realise it before?

FujinAkari
2008-01-31, 06:29 AM
*Is very tired, confused and curious.* The Geheime what now?

Oops... sorry... overinterest in history rearing its head :P.

Gestapo is an abbreviation of The Geheime Staatspolizeir (Secret State Police).

In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have gone there... but when I initially read his post I thought of a like, Forum Nazi, "No Discussion For You!" and it just sorta flowed :P

Khanderas
2008-01-31, 06:55 AM
Funny thing is, I think everyone who starts a thread abut V's gender has read atleast one "V''s gender is : " thread.
Because else they would assume one way or the other and not think twice about it.
Except when they see a NPC call V a he and she at different times I guess. But most problebly think at that time that it was just a misprint and keep reading the archives.

Atleast this one didnt call the thread "V's gender [official]". I really hate that. If a mod or greater calls it official it is. Else it is NOT.

Not to mention it is information of no use whatsoever. V is closer to an it, with the singleminded devotion to Ultimate Arcane Power. No intrest in romance and is oblivious to other peoples genders in any case.

monty
2008-01-31, 10:48 AM
Not to mention it is information of no use whatsoever. V is closer to an it, with the singleminded devotion to Ultimate Arcane Power. No intrest in romance and is oblivious to other peoples genders in any case.

Except that s/he's married, and has mentioned hir total devotion to hir mate.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-02-01, 04:25 PM
Except that s/he's married, and has mentioned hir total devotion to hir mate.

That doesn't necesarily mean that they are knowledgable of sexual distinction (note that V has been shown to be bad at male/female interaction - particularly in the bar scene (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html)).

But I'm thinking of an even better example, right from the pen of the Master himself, Terry Pratchett. When speaking about dwarfs, you get:

"All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional."

and (paraphrased, can't find the quote and don't have the books handy):
"When two dwarfs marry, it is assumed that one of them is male and the other female, and they both know which is which".

So don't assume that just because V is married that (s)he's learnt to tell males from females hirself.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

FujinAkari
2008-02-02, 03:15 AM
That doesn't necesarily mean that they are knowledgable of sexual distinction (note that V has been shown to be bad at male/female interaction - particularly in the bar scene (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html)).

But I'm thinking of an even better example, right from the pen of the Master himself, Terry Pratchett. When speaking about dwarfs, you get:

"All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional."

"When two dwarfs marry, it is assumed that one of them is male and the other female, and they both know which is which".

So don't assume that just because V is married that (s)he's learnt to tell males from females hirself.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

So you're saying V is a dwarf? :smallconfused:

factotum
2008-02-02, 03:23 AM

V has been shown several times to have difficulty telling apart the gender of humans. There is no evidence whatsoever that he would have the same difficulty with another elf.

Jayngfet
2008-02-02, 05:41 AM
this thread, its utter genericness, incompetency, and spammy nature make me want to cast chain death, over and over again, point blank, followed by soul nova.

The Extinguisher
2008-02-02, 02:59 PM
V has been shown several times to have difficulty telling apart the gender of humans. There is no evidence whatsoever that he would have the same difficulty with another elf.

No, he's seen to not care about genders. He probably could see that Roy was female, but just didn't really care, and thought the mop was more unusual.

Besides, the only thing he really had to work off was Haleys "time of the month" comment. But with elves, it's probably more like decade.

factotum
2008-02-02, 03:24 PM
No, he's seen to not care about genders. He probably could see that Roy was female, but just didn't really care, and thought the mop was more unusual.

I think he can't really tell...there's nothing in the strip to indicate one way or the other, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Voyager
2008-02-02, 03:25 PM

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

Just due to the basic mechics of continuation of species, I find it rather difficult to believe that any species could continue to exist that couldn't figure out which one was which. Even the ones that don't die of natural causes, there's always stairs.

On a side not, I rather suspect V's mate is currently deceased or otherwise disposed. I just can't see V, who is for all apparent purposes still devoted to their spouse, just up and leaving on a quest for arcane power, at least without a truly compelling reason. That and V's attempts at finding the missing party members have a certain Never again! air to them. It may be nothing, but character growth works best when foreshadowed.

Harry Voyager

North
2008-02-02, 03:25 PM
Its like the movie "Its Pat" no one knows for sure, so sometimes they just guess.

Animefunkmaster
2008-02-02, 04:03 PM
That just means V is not an overly curvaceous girl.

My new favorite word.