PDA

View Full Version : Ironsword Speaker[PrC]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-01-30, 01:16 AM
One day I shall make a class that isn't a hybrid/ToB class... but that is not this day.
--
Ironsword Speaker
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cor_gallery/89559.jpg
Erdom Greyhammer, Ironsword speaker

Ironsword speakers are ancient masters of the most ancient language of the universe and their own martial capabilities. They combine their unique talents into one paragon of combatant prowess. The usual path for ironsword speakers is truenamer/warblade, but some are truenamer/swordsages or crusaders.

HD: d8

Requirements
BAB: +4
Feats: Recitation of Meditative state, Weapon Focus (any martial or exotic weapon)
Skills: Balance 4 ranks, Concentration 8 ranks, Truespeak 6 ranks
Truenaming: Must be able to use 2nd level utterances.
Manuevers: Must know 2 martial manuevers, including at least one martial strike.

Class-Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Jump, Knowledge (all skills, taken indevidually), Martial Lore, Truespeak, Use Magic Device
Skill-points per level: 4+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Truenaming
1st|+1|+0|+0|+2|Utterance of striking|--
2nd|+2|+0|+0|+3|Bonus recitation feat|+1 level of truenaming class
3rd|+3|+1|+1|+3|Stance of the martial lexicon|+1 level of truenaming class
4th|+4|+1|+1|+4|Knight of the word|+1 level of truenaming class
5th|+5|+1|+1|+4|Recitation of renewing|+1 level of truenaming class
6th|+6|+2|+2|+5|Speak to thy sword|+1 level of truenaming class
7th|+7|+2|+2|+5|Mantra of a thousand swords|+1 level of truenaming class
8th|+8|+2|+2|+6|Bonus recitation feat|+1 level of truenaming class
9th|+9|+3|+3|+6|Truespeak skillmaster|+1 level of truenaming class
10th|+10|+3|+3|+7|Greater knight of the word|--
[/table]

{table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
1st|1|0|0
2nd|0|1|0
3rd|1|0|0
4th|0|0|0
5th|1|1|1
6th|0|0|0
7th|1|0|0
8th|0|1|0
9th|1|0|0
10th|0|0|1
[/table]

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: Ironsword speakers gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Utterances: At every ironsword speaker level you gain except 1st and 10th, you increase your utterances known and effective truenamer level. This lets you gain utterances known from all three lexicons if your effective Truenamer level allows it. This also effects the save DC's for your utterances.

Maneuvers: At 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th levels, an ironsword speaker gains new maneuvers known from the Diamond Mind, Holy Word (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71422), Iron Heart or White Raven disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full ironsword speaker levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
At 2nd, 5th, and 8th levels, you gain additional maneuvers readied per day.

Stances Known: At 5th and 10th levels, you learn a new martial stance from the Diamond Mind, Holy Word (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71422), Iron Heart or White Raven disciplines. You must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Utterance of Striking(Su): At first level, but uttering a few select words in a clear voice and striking an opponent with a melee attack you may deal an extra amount of damage of the same type as the used weapon equal to your Truespeak check. So if Thaarin the hammerer attacks with a warhammer and uses this ability he makes a truespeak check with a result of 18, he now deals an extra 18 points of bludgeoning damage with the next attack he makes. Using this strike takes a standard action to perform and does not provoke an attack of opportunity.
Using this ability counts as using a maneuver, though it does not take up a readied maneuver slot. Once used, it must be recovered just as a normal maneuver would.

Bonus Recitation Feat: At 2nd level and again at 8th level you gain a bonus recitation feat. You must meet the feat's prerequisites to learn it.

Stance of the Martial Lexicon (Su): At 3rd level, you learn a special stance that allows you to close the gap between you and your enemy just long enough for you to attack. You may forgo the normal benefits of another stance to enter the stance of the martial lexicon. While in this stance you may make a truename check against a certain foe (following all the normal rules for truenaming) within your line of sight at the beginning of a round as a swift action. If the check is successful you may close the gap between you and an enemy and either initiate a martial strike or full-attack action, if one would be allowed.

Knight of the Word (Ex): At 4th level, pick a single martial discipline in which you have at least 1 martial stance in. Whenever you enter a stance of that discipline you gain a +2 to all truename checks and opponents suffer a -1 penalty to saves against your utterances and martial maneuvers, if they allow one. Once chosen, this discipline cannot be changed.

Recitation of Renewing(Su): At 5th level, you can refresh your body and mind through your words to make yourself capable again to fight. As an action based on the maneuvers level(swift 1st-3rd, move 4th-6th, standard 7th-9th), you may make a Truespeak check to regain an expended maneuver. The DC for the maneuver recovered is 15+2(maneuver level), if the check is successful the expended maneuver is once again readied for use.
Each maneuver lost and regained in this manner have the recovery DC increase by 2 for every previous use of this ability. Maneuvers do not count as a part of you, so you do not get the normal +4 to Truespeak checks made on yourself.

Speak to thy sword(Su): At 6th level you gain the ability to speak directly to the essence of your weapon to increase it's ability to aid you in battle. As a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity, you may speak to your weapon(using the normal Truespeak DC of the weapon in question) to increase it's enhancement bonus for a number of minutes equal to your ironsword speaker level. The bonus granted this way is equal to your ironsword speaker level divided by two, to a maximum of +5 at 10th level. This bonus does not stack with the enhancement bonus the weapon already has by any virtue other than this ability.

Mantra of a Thousand Swords(Su): At 7th level you learn another way to speak to the universe to bend it to your will and your sword. Once per round, you can make a truespeak check at a -8 penalty in place of the first attack roll a round. This ability is included in the use of any martial strikes or boosts. Striking the same creature in this fashion does not accrue a -2 penalty to Truespeak checks as normal utterances would.

Truespeak Skillmaster(Su): At 8th level you become capable of used your trained mind and tongue instead of other aspects of your mind and body when using maneuvers. At the beginning of each day, select two martial disciplines which you have maneuvers known in. For the rest of the day, when using a maneuver that requires a skill check, instead of using the normal skill you may instead use a Truespeak check.

Greater Knight of the Word (Ex): At 10th level you learn the secret of combining your martial maneuvers and utterances into sublime perfection. As a full-round action, you may initiate a martial maneuver and speak an utterance together. The maneuver and utterance must not take longer than a standard action to initiate. This class feature only works while in a stance of the same discipline you chose at 4th level for Knight of the Word.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-01-30, 05:36 PM
I wonder why I never get comments unless I mention it...:smallconfused:

ErrantX
2008-01-30, 05:54 PM
I like your works Krimm, your classes are quite good. I'd comment but I know next to nothing about classes from the ToM, so I really don't have much to comment on. The book never interested me, just struck me as unnecessary. Now do something with Incarnum and I'd be interested in seeing that, and would be happy to comment on it :)

-X

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-01-30, 05:58 PM
I like your works Krimm, your classes are quite good. I'd comment but I know next to nothing about classes from the ToM, so I really don't have much to comment on. The book never interested me, just struck me as unnecessary. Now do something with Incarnum and I'd be interested in seeing that, and would be happy to comment on it :)

-X

Now there's an idea... A magic system I've done very little with...

Kai-Palin
2008-01-30, 08:50 PM
I like the whole class, although I think Knight of the Word just sounds cooler, even if it already has been used. I'm sorry but I don't really feel qualified to comment on the balance of any truenaming classes, having never played one.

That being said, I can do ToB classes. Only one stance? I know the class provides an extra one, but they are non-refundable, and gaining only one is a real hit. Maybe add one more at 10th level? Because, honestly, the class has little reason to take the tenth level. No Truenaming, no Maneuvers Known or Readied, no Stances known, and only one class ability. I don't know, but Greater Knight of the Word doesn't seem to build on Knight of the Word at all.
Also, White Raven would be an excellent thematic fit for this class, as commanding shouts seem like a natural thing to be augmented by Truespeaking.

On a different note, is there a place I can find the PrCs you've made? Because I want to print them out or save them at least.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-01-30, 09:36 PM
I like the whole class, although I think Knight of the Word just sounds cooler, even if it already has been used. I'm sorry but I don't really feel qualified to comment on the balance of any truenaming classes, having never played one.

That being said, I can do ToB classes. Only one stance? I know the class provides an extra one, but they are non-refundable, and gaining only one is a real hit. Maybe add one more at 10th level? Because, honestly, the class has little reason to take the tenth level. No Truenaming, no Maneuvers Known or Readied, no Stances known, and only one class ability. I don't know, but Greater Knight of the Word doesn't seem to build on Knight of the Word at all.
Also, White Raven would be an excellent thematic fit for this class, as commanding shouts seem like a natural thing to be augmented by Truespeaking.

On a different note, is there a place I can find the PrCs you've made? Because I want to print them out or save them at least.

I was considering putting another stance in there at 10th, but I wasn't sure if it would be too much but yes, 10th level seems lacking in abilities.
White Raven might be something to add... I don't see it being overpowered to add on.
If you'd like a list of my classes I could PM them to you if you'd like.

Riva
2008-01-30, 10:18 PM
I like the flavor of the class so... here is a cookie?

Like the others, I'm not in a position to speak of balance since I haven't played a true namer at all. I like the full BAB and almost full truename spell progression. Uhm, if I ever play a truenamer fighter type, I'd look at using this PrC =)

Huzaah!

Stycotl
2008-02-05, 10:05 PM
i never saw this thread until i followed your link from fax celestis' holy word discipline. cool stuff. i really like both truenaming mechanics and martial adept mechanics and had to completely rewrite one of my major recurring npc characters both times when i encountered them.

that said, i like this quite a bit. really cool. i still need to go over and read it in depth for balance issues and flavor issues, but just thought i'd throw that out there. good job.