PDA

View Full Version : Revenant Blade

kpenguin
2008-01-30, 02:19 AM
So looking at the Revenant Blade PrC from the Player's Guide to Eberron when the class's capstone ability caught my eye. It essentially allows a revenant blade to treat both ends of a Valenar double scimitar as a two-handed weapon, even when two-weapon fighting. That means 1-1/2 strength damage on both sides and double damage on power attacks on both sides.

This reeks of cheese. Would it be possible to make an awesome build with Revenant Blade using a combination of Two-Weapon Pounce, Shock Trooper, and Leap Attack?

Zincorium
2008-01-30, 02:24 AM
So looking at the Revenant Blade PrC from the Player's Guide to Eberron when the class's capstone ability caught my eye. It essentially allows a revenant blade to treat both ends of a Valenar double scimitar as a two-handed weapon, even when two-weapon fighting. That means 1-1/2 strength damage on both sides and double damage on power attacks on both sides.

This reeks of cheese. Would it be possible to make an awesome build with Revenant Blade using a combination of Two-Weapon Pounce, Shock Trooper, and Leap Attack?

Personally I like combining it with frenzied berserker as well.

Rng1/brb 1/ftr 2/Rng +1/revenant blade 5/frenzied berserker 10. Lion totem barbarian, obviously. The build has enough feats to get shock trooper and most of the TWF tree, but flaws certainly don't hurt.

Person_Man
2008-01-30, 10:40 AM
Meh.

You have to be an Elf, which is a weak race.
It has sucky pre-reqs.
The earliest you can get the capstone ability is ECL 10.
Its a melee class, which is much weaker then any full caster class.
And there are a million ways to get obscene melee damage in D&D.

Don't get me wrong, its a nice ability. It's just nothing special.

zaei
2008-01-30, 04:42 PM
Dervish mixes well with the Revenant Blade.

kpenguin
2008-01-30, 05:21 PM
Meh.

You have to be an Elf, which is a weak race.
It has sucky pre-reqs.
The earliest you can get the capstone ability is level 5.
Its a melee class, which is much weaker then any full caster class.
And there are a million ways to get obscene melee damage in D&D.

Don't get me wrong, its a nice ability. It's just nothing special.

Yeah, well, I think its pretty interesting. The most popular melee build seems to be the Shock Trooper charging barbarian and it seems to me that this lets us combine it with two-weapon fighting.

Person_Man
2008-01-30, 06:10 PM
Yeah, well, I think its pretty interesting. The most popular melee build seems to be the Shock Trooper charging barbarian and it seems to me that this lets us combine it with two-weapon fighting.

Absolutely true. But consider:

Power Attack
Leap Attack
Improved Bull Rush
Shock Trooper
Two Weapon Fighting
Oversized Two Weapon Fighting or Improved Unarmed Strike or claws

Now each attack has a +2 per BAB bonus to damage on every attack. No special PrC needed. And it uses the same number of feats as the RB does (which requires that weird double scythe exotic weapon prof and Weapon Focus for entry). And its available at ECL 6.

You can also just use a two handed weapon, and MULTIPLY your damage via Spirited Charge, Headlong Rush, Battle Jump, Rhino's Rush, a Valorous weapon, etc.

The RB's special ability would also definitely help. But its just nothing special.