PDA

View Full Version : Creating Maps

shaka gl
2008-01-30, 08:53 AM
So, I need to create an Island and a city located in that island. I was wondering, is there a software that could help me to make the maps?

Thanks!

bignate
2008-01-30, 09:07 AM
i am fond of campaign cartographer. it makes some really good maps but it is a bit on the costly side and has a kinda steep learning curve.

Hazkali
2008-01-30, 09:23 AM
I found a free piece of software called AutoRealm that lets you do fractal lines and stuff; It's not brilliant but it is free.

Darth Mario
2008-01-30, 09:39 AM
I generally just use Photoshop (or Gimp before the days when I could afford it). My steps are generally:

1. Pencil sketch of map, with key features and boarders only (for overland maps, this is just generally the outline of the land mass and mountains).
2. Scan into computer.
3. Add rivers and colorize.
4. Add cities and roads.
5. ???
6. Profit!

Needlessly complicated, certainly. Campaign Cartographer is okay, but maps generally come out looking especially cheesy, for me at least. (Mind you, last version I used was Campaign Cartographer 2, they've released a new version since, and the screenshots on their site are fantastic.) They're working on a demo, so if you can wait a bit, they'll have that for you to try out.

Edit: Oh, and it's PC only. That's the other reason I don't use it anymore.

Edit #2: And after reviewing the site, I think I'm going to have to install XP on my mac now. Disregard my bashing.

Prometheus
2008-01-30, 02:32 PM
Google Sketchup3D (http://sketchup.google.com/) is your best friend ever. I cannot stress how useful it is.

It can be used with bird's eyes view to create a traditional map, but it can also easily be extended into 3D when a height question comes up or if you want to really show a place in detail. I has premade trees and cardboard cutouts of people to insert too. The best thing I like about it is that you can draw every to scale just like if you were working with 3D graph paper. Rather than eyeballing it, you tell it how far one place is from another and you are instantly there. If you're not used to the kind of thing if might seem daunting at first, but it is a really nice tool and also a useful skill to have.