PDA

View Full Version : Super Heroic D&D items [long & goofy]

GlordFunkelhand
2008-01-30, 10:41 AM
Ok, so I had the idea of creating armor sets with a certain flair, adding some special abilities when several items of the same set are worn (think DiabloII set-items).
Then I started to create some sets based on well known super heroes. I started to stat a few (splitting the extra costs of the set bonus between the individual items) but switched then to a more general description, mainly because inventing is fun, statting is not ;)

Feel free to comment or post your own magic items that transform you into a superhero ;)

My favorites are the Nocturnal Bunter, Black Spider and Iron Golem Men descriptions.

And here they come:

Thunderer's Regalia
As these are absurdly powerful and expansive, see scaling info below.

Gauntlets of the Thunderer
These gauntlets grant the wearer great strength, adding a +2 enhancement bonus to his or her Strength score. Both gauntlets must be worn for the magic to be effective.
Caster Level: 6th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, bull’s strength; Market Price: 247,000; Weight: 4 lb

Belt of the Thunderer
This belt adds to the wearer’s Strength score in the form of an enhancement bonus of +4.
Caster Level: 10th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, bull’s strength; Market Price: 279,000gp; Weight: 1 lb.

Winged Helm of the Thunderer
The wearer of this helm is able to fly through the air as if affected by a fly spell of unlimited duration. He can carry up to 400 lb at a speed of 210ft.
The helm also grants it's wearer a charisma bonus of +4.
Caster Level: 7th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, fly, -permanency, shatter . Market Price: 320,000gp

Mighty Hammer of the Thunderer
This +6 Thundering Returning Schocking Burst heavy mace is a formidable weapon.
Upon command an shocking burst weapon deals +1d6 points of bonus electricity damage on a successful hit. In addition it also explodes with electricity upon striking a successful critical hit. The electricity does not harm the hands that hold the weapon. Shocking burst weapons deal +1d10 points of bonus electricity damage on a successful critical hit.
A thundering weapon creates a cacophonous roar like thunder upon striking a successful critical hit. The sonic energy does not harm the wielder of the weapon. Thundering weapons deal +1d8 points of bonus sonic damage on a successful critical hit.
A returning weapon returns through the air back to the creature that threw it. It returns on the round following the round that it was thrown just before its throwing creature’s turn. It is therefore ready to use again that turn.

Caster Level: 18th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, blindness/deafness, call lightning or lightning bolt, telekinesis, Shatter; Market Price: 512,312 gp

Bonus if wearing both the Belt and the Gauntlets
If wearing the both helm and gauntlets the wearer gets an +2 bonus to his strength score (making the enhancement bonus of belt and gloves stack).

Bonus if wearing both Helm and Hammer
If both the Hammer and the Helm are worn, the wearer can cause a thundering explosion centered on the hammer 3 times a day. This effect is as the spell shatter cast by a 5th level sorcerer.

Bonus granted if wearing the complete Regalia
If all parts of the Thunderer's Regalia are worn, they grant two spell like abilities 3 times a day.
- Control Weather as cast by a 12th level sorcerer
- Lighting Bolt as cast by a 6th level sorcerer

Scaling the Thunderer's Regalia
Here're some ideas of less powerful variants of the Regalia, while maintaining the "God of Thunder" feel
Gauntlets of the Thunderer, +2 Str
Belt of the Thunderer, +2 Str
Helm of the Thunderer, Fly 2h/day
Mighty Hammer of the Thunderer, +1 Returning Shock Heavy Mace (+3 equivalent)
Bonus variations: Belt and Gauntlet - +2 unnamed bonus to Str; helm and Hammer: - ; Full regalia: Lightning bolt 1/day as a 6th level sorcerer

Armor of the Black Spider

Helmet of the Black Spider
This black helmet features a silver inlay of a spider's web. The eye slits are rather larger, insectoid windows covered with a silvery material. The wearer's vision is not impared by these windows. Wearing this helmet allows you to feel attacks slightly before they actually occur, granting you a +2 luck bonus to your reflex saves, armor class and initiative.
Caster Level: 6th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item. Prestidigitation, Market Cost: 20,666gp

Boots of the Black Spider
These black cloth boots feature a silver spider's web on them and act as a combination of the boots of striding and springing and the slippers of spiderclimb.
Caster Level: 4th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, spider climb, expeditious retreat, jump; Market Price: 29,667 gp; Weight: 1/2 lb.

Gloves of the Black Spider
These gloves feature a silver spider's web on them and add to the wearer’s Dexterity score in the form of an enhancement bonus of +2, +4, or +6 (+2 for each part of the Armor of the Black Spider that is currently worn). Both gloves must be worn for the magic to be effective.
Caster Level: 8th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, cat’s gracem, Web; Market Price: 56,666 gp; Weight: -.

Boots + Gloves
If both the Boots and the gloves are worn, the spider climb effect will be also active on the gloves, allowing the wearer to hang on a ceiling mainted by his arms only, or by both arms and feet.

Full Armor
If the full armor is worn, the wearer can shoot a web from his gloves 5 times a day. The effect is as the spell Web cast by 4th level sorcerer

Dress of the Amazon Princess

Tiara of the Amazon Princess
- Charisma Bonus

Bracers of the Amazon Princess
- As Bracers of deflection, 3 times/day protection from arrows at will

Lasso
- Zone of Truth inside lasso
- Dex Bonus

Tiara + Bracers
- Fly 3/day
- Featherfall at will

Nocturnal Hunter's Garment

Cowl of the Nocturnal Hunter
- Skill bonus to Survial Check made to track somebody, Search and Listen

Cape of the Nocturnal Hunter
- Skill bonus to Hide and Jump (Cape allwing you to glide)

Gauntlets of the Nocturnal Hunter (uses both gloves and bracers slot)
- As bracers of deflection and gloves of dexterity, grants to be armored w/o weapon

Belt of the Nocturnal Hunter
- Belt of Giant Strength with several Bags of Holding attached.

Bumarang of the Nocturnal Hunter
- +1 Returning Club, Trip and Disarm based on throwers Str/Dex Bonus (use higher) and then increased by 6

Cape + Cowl
- Skill Bonus to Intimidate and Gather Information

Hood + Cowl + Gloves + Belt
- Fear Aura
- Tumble

[b]Iron Golem Man
This is iron Golem has a magic crystal embedded in his chest. By touching the crystal and saying an activation word, the soul of the toucher can be transferred into the golem.
He can stay inside the Golem for a number of hours equal to his Wisdom bonus. After that time, he has to do a will save every half hour (DC 15). The DC of the Wil save increases by 1 every 30min. Failing this safe results in 1d4 Wis damage. If his Wisdom sinks below 10, his soul is transferred back to his body.
The Iron Golem has the folowing special abilities:
+ Fly Speed / perfect
+ Magic Missile
+ Burning hands
+ Lightning arc

Super Heroic Dress

Glasses of Deception
- Skill Bonus to Disguise +10
- When worn longer than 24h: X-Ray vision and heat ray vision. May be put aside for 16h/day without losing the effect once the glasses have been word fo 24h).

Cape of flight
- red
- Fly at will

Breastplate of Strength
- blue
- Grants strength bonus (that's why there's a golden S on the chest)

Heroic Boots
- red
- of striding and springing

Cape + Breastplate
- Damage Reduction 2/magic
- Fast Healing 1

Curse of the Super Heroic Dress
Every 1d10 sessions, the dungeon master can bring a certain strange crystal into play. This crystal imposes 1d6 str damage every 2 rounds to the wearer of at least 2 parts of the Super Heroic Dress (if the crystal is with 10 feet) or 1 point of Str damage every 2 rounds (if within 10 to 15 feet).

JackMage666
2008-01-30, 11:04 AM
I'm not sure if you're aware, but there is already some item sets like these in the Magic Item Compendium.

That said, while the base idea for this isn't bad, and the abilities aren't necessarily bad, the costs are extremely high and absurd. You basic item creation rules to make the items, and then tack on an extra maybe 25% or so because they're part of a set, if you insist they be higher at all.

GlordFunkelhand
2008-01-30, 11:34 AM
Well, the steep cost of the Thunderer's set is basically due to the cost for items that can cast spells. Control Weather is costly as a command word or use activated spell. That's one of the reasons I added a less costly version for the Thunderer's Regalia.

Oh, I did use the "normal" costs - even a bit less since I didn't always apply the 1.5 penalty if you stack multiple effects on one item.
I took the basic costs for the "set abilities" split them between the items that will finally grant them (so if it's a 3 item bonus, each item gets 1/3rd of the cost).

One option to reduce the cost would be to make them "Item sets of legacy" similar to the weapons of legacy. And these sets are goofy and not ment to be taken seriously. The idea is basically - can you express the feel of a superhero by D&D items? Just items. What parts of the hero are not really needed to get the flair?

What items would actually fit into a normal D&D campaign? What items would fit if you just changed them a bit?

Grug
2008-01-30, 03:23 PM
The item sets they have already go by number of items owned, rather than any specific combination.

Let me give it a shot. You already did Iron Man, my favorite, but...

Uniform of the Patriot: The Patriot was once a famous warrior for a great nation, who's valor and dedication on the battlefield won him commendation after commendation. Eventually he was elevated to a status symbol of the country, and his famous blue battlegear has been replicated many times in many countries. Although they have the same effects, pieces made for different countries have their country's colorscheme and symbol on the breastplate and shield. Only pieces from the same country count for getting set bonuses

Mask of the Patriot: This simple blue balclava is sometimes found with or without small wings on the side of the head. Either way it gives the wearer a +6 bonus to charisma and the ability to cast Bless three times a day at 10th level.

Armor of the Patriot: This is a +2 Scale Mail of Moderate Fortification is a bright hue with a single white star in the center. In addition to providing a +4 bonus to constitution, the armor has no check penalty and makes the noise of cloth, making it ideal for espionage.

Shield of the Patriot: This shield is the most famous part of the set. It is a +3 large steel shield of Bashing and Returning. The shield is perfectly round and balanced, and can be attacked for 2d6+3+wielders strength damage while still provding its bonus to armor. If it successfully hits and enemy when thrown, it can immediately bounce to another enemy, making another attack at the same roll -3. This can happen up to 4 times or until it is recalled, where it will return to the wielder ready to defend again. The shield may not leave the wielder's line of site while making these attacks.

Boots of the Patriot: These banded leather boots give a +10 bonus to movement speed and a +15 bonus to jump checks. In addition, the wearer may activate a [I]pass without trace[I]effect for 24 hours once every three days. The wearer is also treated to the effects of the Endrance feat.

Two items: The wearer gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls
Three Items: The wearer can cast Cure Serious Wounds twice a day at CL 10
Four Items: The character is a true patriot. They gain the ability to prepare and cast domain spells like a cleric of three fourth's their level. The domains are chosen at the time of the items' forging and reflect the interest of the country, typically War, Strength, Good, Law, or Protection.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-30, 03:39 PM
Note: Enhancement Bonuses do not stack with other enhancement bonuses.

Grug: Don't forget to mention that the Shield of the Patriot cannot be destroyed or sundered by anything short of direct divine interference?

GlordFunkelhand
2008-01-30, 04:01 PM

Maybe that's why you get an unnamed bonus with the value of the difference as a set bonus in my sets? ;)

Let me give it a shot. You already did Iron Man, my favorite, but...
Feel free to redo him. While I kinda like the golem idea, I think his armor would be nice as well.

Regarding the "number of item boni" - yep, that's how it's done in WoW and Diablo - but I don't see why I should limit myself to that.
Take the batman example - some bonus make more sense if you link it to certain part combinations.

Baron Corm
2008-01-30, 04:08 PM
Good job with the Thunderer's Regalia, it made me think of the Immortal King set before I even saw you mention Diablo II. It is, though, way too expensive and I'd never buy it. I also don't think set items would work in DND at all; you journey to some tomb and find the gloves, you journey to a a forest and find the hammer, it just wouldn't make sense to have sets like that, you know? There's also the issue that set items could never really be balanced; it's taking up all your item slots, so is the full set better than existing items, or not? I think Diablo II had the same problems... but let's not get into that.

It might work if you found them all at once, and just called them artifacts, and it was a plot device. Anyway, I don't think you meant for these to be used anyway, so yeah, nice read.

Burley
2008-01-30, 04:31 PM
I know this isn't a set of items (I'm horrible with item creation), but I've been pondering building a warlock (I know I'm obsessed...) to be a member of "The Emerald Torch Guild". Invocations=Powers, and give them an extra invocation at creation to offset the inability to affect anything yellow with their invocations.

Grug
2008-01-30, 06:04 PM

Grug: Don't forget to mention that the Shield of the Patriot cannot be destroyed or sundered by anything short of direct divine interference?

That would be for the True Patriot's shield, which is a major artifact. These are remakes.

Regarding the "number of item boni" - yep, that's how it's done in WoW and Diablo - but I don't see why I should limit myself to that.
Take the batman example - some bonus make more sense if you link it to certain part combinations.

You're free to handle them howerver you want, but the Rules as Written say it doesn't matter which item it is.

Worira
2008-01-30, 10:06 PM
I know this isn't a set of items (I'm horrible with item creation), but I've been pondering building a warlock (I know I'm obsessed...) to be a member of "The Emerald Torch Guild". Invocations=Powers, and give them an extra invocation at creation to offset the inability to affect anything yellow with their invocations.

Pfft, the F-Sharp Chimes pwn the Emerald Torches.

Also, this. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/artifacts.htm#golemArmor)

GlordFunkelhand
2008-01-31, 09:41 AM
You're free to handle them howerver you want, but the Rules as Written say it doesn't matter which item it is.

Well, since these are 3.0 items, there are no Rules as Written ;)

Regarding the enhancement boni:
That's right, they don't stack. At least not w/o a small trick: Since I can give boni for certain item combinations, I was able to make them "kinda" stack by adding an unnamed bonus to them. The unnamed bonus is needed only if the coombined bonus is higher than +6. For a bonus <=6 you could simply define that an item has a bonus of +4 (+6 if item X is also equipped). That's also a way cheaper way to handle it, but the total bonus of +6 is the limit.

Regarding plots to use item sets:
- You find information on a particular item set in old books. You first hunt for clues, then for the actual parts.
- A set has been stolen from a collector / temple / treasury. You're hired to find it. In the end, it was just a test to see if you're worthy of the set.
- You don't even realize it's a set. Maybe you sold it undervalue, maybe you're using it ATM w/o knowing what it is. Then you find an item that adds a synergy bonus - now you try to find out more and find the other items.
- four (or how many players you party has) armor sets were used LONG AGO to defeat the BBEG. Now the evil rises again and you need to find these armors, equip then and then fight BBEG. Each armor is the final reward after fighting through a themed dungeon.

Just make sure that the sets used have adequate powers for the level of the adventurers. Even low level sets have a very cool "feel." And if you don't add spells to the items, the actual cost isn't that high. If you create sets tailored towards your players, you can cheat by making them spell completion items (where possible).

Here're is another set:

Garment of the Grave Robber

Leather Hat of the Grave Robber
- Skill bonus to Craft (Trapmaking)
- Skill bonus to Search

Whip of the Grave Robber
- magical weapon
- Bonus to disarm attempts

Leather Jacket of the Grave Robber
- Enhancement Bonus to AC
- Integrated bag of holding

Hat + Jacket
- Skill bonus to decipher script
- Skill bonus to disable device

Full set
- Bonus to charisma when dealing with the opposite sex
- Skill bonus to survival

Roderick_BR
2008-01-31, 02:46 PM
hehe... those are cool.
Lemme try one.

Regalia of the savage hunter.

Face of the savage hunter:
A yellow and black mask that when worm gives you a +10 competence bonus to Intimidate Checks.

Feet of the savage hunter:
These pair of yellow boots gives you a +10 bonus to move silently and hide checks.

Body of the savage hunter:
This set of yellow and brown leather armor have a +5 enhancement bonus to armor, and grants Fast Healing 2.

Claws of the hunter:
These pair of +5 adamantine bladed gauntlets* allows it's wearer to use it as unarmed strikes (using full strenght with both hands when using TWF, and allowing 1:1 attack/damage trade with Power Attack, and allowing it's user to use it's unarmed strike damage if it's bigger), and the benefits of two-weapon fighting.
*(exotic weapon, like spiked gauntlets, but damage is 1d6, crit 18-20/x2)

When wearing both the mask and the boots: The character gains Scent.

When wearing both the suit and the gauntlets: The character gains the benefits of Light Fortification.

When wearing the whole set, the character gains the ability to rage once a day, as a 1st level barbarian. If he already have barbarian levels, just add the 1 daily uses to his normal rage. He also receives the benefits of the two-weapon pounce feat.