PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Disciple help

Burley
2008-01-30, 12:26 PM
I'm doing a Complete 360 and changing my character. I was planning on building the ultimate item creator...only to find out yesterday my DM doesn't like Item Creation and doesn't allow custom ideas. LAME!
Anyways, I'm gonna start Multi-classing my Warlock at next level (9th) and I'm leaning towards a divine class to take up the Eldritch Disciple, though I could be swayed toward an arcane class for the Eldritch Theurge.

What are your suggestions?

Craig1f
2008-01-30, 01:08 PM
I'm doing a Complete 360 and changing my character. I was planning on building the ultimate item creator...only to find out yesterday my DM doesn't like Item Creation and doesn't allow custom ideas. LAME!
Anyways, I'm gonna start Multi-classing my Warlock at next level (9th) and I'm leaning towards a divine class to take up the Eldritch Disciple, though I could be swayed toward an arcane class for the Eldritch Theurge.

What are your suggestions?

Eldritch Disciple is amazing, although it's more optimal if you start out with Warlock 1/Cleric 3 before going in. You won't be a primary healer since you're so far in cleric levels, but you'll add some amazing versatility. The Gifts of the Divine are outstanding, and adding healing ability is also very good.

Also, since you already have a primary attack (the eldritch blast), you won't find yourself having to memorize many attack spells, and can instead focus on utility and healing spells.

Eldritch Theurge is also very good. However, warlock powers overlap much more with Arcane magic, so you'll find your new powers duplicate a lot of your old powers, instead of adding to them. Also, because you will have a very low caster level, attack spells aren't going to be very much good to you. However, you don't have to worry about SR when you're healing allies, buffing them, and using utility spells.

I saw take eldritch disciple, find a deity with some really good domains, and have some fun.

When I did this build, I went for extra turning, domain spontaneity, Divine spellpower, divine retrieve spell, and practiced spellcaster. Since you haev 9 levels of warlock, you may want to drop practiced spellcaster and divine spellpower, since you're never going to get your cleric caster level very high. However, since you'll have a ton of powers that are fueled by turn undead, you'll want to increase your turn undead attempts. Stay away from Divine metamagic though, it's cheesey. I prefer using turn attempts for domain spontaneity and retrieve spell.

Draz74
2008-01-30, 01:54 PM
If you're already stuck with Warlock 9 and you want to make it as powerful as possible, dip a level of Binder to get Naberius, then go into Hellfire Warlock (all 3 levels).

Actually I think people have found some more optimized ways to get Fast Constitution Healing than the Binder trick, but I don't know how they work (don't have access to the right material, such as Incarnum).

If you want a dual-progression PrC ... Eldritch Disciple definitely is a good one. But starting on it this late is definitely sub-optimal.

kamikasei
2008-01-30, 03:29 PM
Question: given how the wording of the Eldritch Disciple's Timeless Body ability differs from that of the Druid or Monk's, does it in fact make you immune to death by old age?

The_Snark
2008-01-30, 03:33 PM
It does. You simply stop aging. No more penalties, no more bonuses, no dying. It's a neat class that way.

Craig1f
2008-01-30, 03:45 PM
Question: given how the wording of the Eldritch Disciple's Timeless Body ability differs from that of the Druid or Monk's, does it in fact make you immune to death by old age?

I'm pretty sure it's the same as the Druid version, and you do, in fact, die at some point. Otherwise, this would be the only class that makes you live forever, which would make it a much bigger deal.

Ghal Marak
2008-01-30, 03:47 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the same as the Druid version, and you do, in fact, die at some point. Otherwise, this would be the only class that makes you live forever, which would make it a much bigger deal.

Well, that depends on youre perspective on living. :smallsmile: Green Star Adept & ... I can't remember the other. It's from Heroes of Horror. They make you immortal, though not exactly living.

kamikasei
2008-01-30, 04:00 PM

Druid and Monk versions both refer only to penalties from aging and include a line, "Bonuses still accrue, and the ____ still dies of old age when her time is up." Eldritch Disciple just says "you stop aging". I guess that means you don't get the bonuses, but that's still pretty awesome. Technically in a game starting above 15th level you could make an 800,000 year old character who just kind of chilled out in the wilds and fey court a lot, I guess.

Well, that depends on youre perspective on living. :smallsmile: Green Star Adept & ... I can't remember the other. It's from Heroes of Horror. They make you immortal, though not exactly living.

Dread Necromancer, which has lichdom as a class feature.

Note to self: do not make an Elan Eldritch Disciple. You will lose out.

The_Snark
2008-01-30, 04:33 PM
The Alienist also doesn't die of old age. They stop aging physically, and there's nothing said about dying of old age.

... but by that time your studies have attracted the attention of things who should have been left undisturbed, and as you grow older they draw nearer, until they steal you away in the night and you are never seen again. Coincidentally around the time you would have died of old age.

But yes. The Eldritch Disciple can live forever. It's what happens when you're the servant of a deity with outsider blood in your veins (or fey blood, or just that deity's special blessing). Considering that by the time you get to level 15, there are all manner of playable outsiders and undead, it's not such a big deal.

Craig1f
2008-01-30, 04:58 PM
That is, until your DM kills you with a sphere of annihilation.

That actually happened to my Warlock1/Cleric3/Eldritch Disciple10/Contemplative2

kamikasei
2008-01-31, 09:22 AM
So I'm thinking of trying one of these out myself, starting into ED as early as possible, though. Do people have any advice on feats/invocations/domain choices? Extra Turning is an obvious one, but beyond that I'm not really sure. This would be a CG fey- or elf-focused character.

Craig1f
2008-01-31, 10:13 AM
So I'm thinking of trying one of these out myself, starting into ED as early as possible, though. Do people have any advice on feats/invocations/domain choices? Extra Turning is an obvious one, but beyond that I'm not really sure. This would be a CG fey- or elf-focused character.

For Forgotten Realms, I liked Selune because it gave me the travel and protection domains. This gives you teleport, dim door, and fly, which compliments cleric powers well. With the Domain Spontaneity feat, that's a good choice.

Protection is an above-average domain, but not stellar. But you DO get Anti magic field at level 6 (wizard level) instead of level 8 (when clerics normally get it) which is pretty sweet.

If you take a level of contemplative, then pick up the moon domain so you can get Turn Lycanthrope attempts. You can use those to power your Divine Spellpower feat, but not for any other abilities the require "turn attempts".

For feats, I like domain spontaneity, divine spellpower, retrieve spell, and practiced spellcaster. This lets you spontaneously cast travel domanin spells, cast spells at a good caster level, cast spells again that you've already used, etc.

Burley
2008-02-01, 09:12 AM
I know this thread trickled out yesterday, but I had a brainstorm, and I wanna make sure that it is possible.
You could make an Eldritch Disciple out of a Cleric/Dragonfire Adept, yes? The prerequisites have invocation prerequisites, instead of Eldritch Blast +Xd6 like the other warlock-able PrCs from the Complete Mage.
If it is possible, that means I could use the healing thingy on my breath weapon and have a cone of heal X. Is that cool, or wrong? Am I the only one who has thought of this? (I want to be original so badly...)

kaptainkrutch
2010-08-24, 03:32 PM
It does. You simply stop aging. No more penalties, no more bonuses, no dying. It's a neat class that way.

It says it works just like a monk, so...

Upon attaining 17th level, a monk no longer takes penalties to her ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that she has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when her time is up.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-24, 03:52 PM
Great Modthulhu: Please don't commit Thread Necromancy.