Do you get six rays or four?

Falrin
2008-01-30, 02:27 PM

Yup 4

Only 4 doesn't have enough characters to post

so I say 4 again

Saph
2008-01-30, 02:27 PM
Four (assuming CL 11+). It's one extra ray, not double the normal amount of rays.

- Saph

Person_Man
2008-01-30, 02:28 PM
Scorching Ray:

"You blast your enemies with fiery rays. You may fire one ray, plus one additional ray for every four levels beyond 3rd (to a maximum of three rays at 11th level). Each ray requires a ranged touch attack to hit and deals 4d6 points of fire damage."

Split Ray:

"You can cause any ray spell to fire one additional ray beyond the number normally allowed."

So the maximum number of rays that you would shoot is 4, assuming you were an 11th level caster.

kemmotar
2008-01-30, 04:20 PM
You're better off quickening the spell than split ray...if you want to split something split ennervation:smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2008-01-30, 04:32 PM
You're better off quickening the spell than split ray...if you want to split something split ennervation:smallbiggrin:

Or casting a quickened scorching ray followed closely by a pair of ocular scorching rays.

Mm-mm. Buuuurninating all the peasants...

RTGoodman
2008-01-30, 04:41 PM
Or casting a quickened scorching ray followed closely by a pair of ocular scorching rays.

Mm-mm. Buuuurninating all the peasants...

And the thatched roof cottages!

Ahem... so, what is this ocular scorching ray? I assume it's some metamagic-related thing, but where might I find it?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-30, 04:50 PM
Ahem... so, what is this ocular scorching ray? I assume it's some metamagic-related thing, but where might I find it?

Metamagic feat that stores the spell in your eyes. Inspired by me actually.

You can find it in Lords of Madness.

Solo
2008-01-30, 04:59 PM
Ahem... so, what is this ocular scorching ray?

Heatvision.

RTGoodman
2008-01-30, 05:04 PM
Metamagic feat that stores the spell in your eyes. Inspired by me actually.

You can find it in Lords of Madness.

Oh, okay - that would explain why I haven't seen it. Don't have that one.

Wait - non-beholders can take it, too? If so, I know a gnome that's gonna be very happy...

**Cackles maniacally and plans for gnomish eye-lasers of enfeeblement**

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-30, 05:17 PM
Wait - non-beholders can take it, too?

Yes, you just have to look me in the eyes long enough. :smallwink:
(Prerequisites can be met as early as level 1, you just need enough ranks in Dungeoneering.)

Cuddly
2008-01-30, 11:39 PM

I'm looking at a 12 tentacled, batwinged, fire breathing anthropomorphic octopus that fires 192 8d6 acid scorching rays/round. Going for the wow factor.

Indon
2008-01-31, 09:22 AM
Does Twin ray actually double the number of rays for the spell?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-31, 09:35 AM
Yes, indeed.

Crimson Avenger
2008-01-31, 09:41 AM
I'm looking at a 12 tentacled, batwinged, fire breathing anthropomorphic octopus that fires 192 8d6 acid scorching rays/round. Going for the wow factor.

That sir, has reached a whole 'nother plane of insanity. I assume you resied in Limbo.

Crimson Avenger
2008-01-31, 09:47 AM

That sir, has reached a whole 'nother plane of insanity. I assume you reside in Limbo.

Sampi
2008-01-31, 09:48 AM
True men split Disintegrate. Preferably Maximized by rod or Sudden Maximize

Note: No Min/Maxing here.

pribnow
2008-01-31, 09:51 AM
With the Spellwarp Sniper prestige class you can 'warp' orbs into rays (though you loose 2 caster levels by taking that class). Nevertheless, Split Rayed Orb-rays deal awesome damage in that case.

Crimson Avenger
2008-01-31, 09:58 AM
I'd just like you all to know that I ALWAYS play the melee member of the party that I'm in, and I've told all of them that the next character I play will be a pure spellcaster with no melee intentions.

I'm taking notes, so keep the cheese a-comin'.

Indon
2008-01-31, 10:29 AM
There's another metamagic feat somewhere called "Repeat spell".

Repeated spells are cast normally, but on the next round they cast again, as if they were just cast, on their own.

Arbitrarity
2008-01-31, 11:39 AM
With the same target, as long as that opponent is in 30 ft. Or in the same area. I think that's it.

kemmotar
2008-01-31, 11:54 AM
If it's firing 192 scorching rays you can just use a sphere of anhilation against it...well...if anyone in the party can survive it then you should be able to gain access to it :smalltongue:

Also, one way to cast more scorching ray would be a colossal multiheaded *something* you have now 29 heads. Cast one normal scorching ray and all the other 28 heads cast it stilled(i think you can, although it is subject whether the DM will allow it, since one head controls one hand, no reason it can't also cast spells on it's own, albeit from teh same reserve) now, 4 rays at CL 11, so 4*29= 116 scorching rays...

Meh...still i know there's more you can do...though instead of scorching rays why don't you cast ennervation or disintigrate? with 29 disintigrate or ennervation rays i think it's going down...fast...as long as you have enough spells...

Hmm...maybe soften it up with a few ennervations, then something to decrease con and then some disintigrates...hmmm

Person_Man
2008-01-31, 12:00 PM

Anthropomorphic octopus builds need a two level dip into Kensai. Enchant each of your tentacles with Spell Storing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#spellStoring). Release 8 third level spells in one round (assuming all eight tentacles hit).

BRC
2008-01-31, 01:34 PM
First, Cast the holy spell, then though shalt fire four rays. Four shall be the number of the rays and the number of the rays will be four. Fire not thou five, nor fire thou three, unless thou then proceed to fire another, making four.
Six is right out.

GoC
2008-01-31, 03:39 PM
If it's firing 192 scorching rays you can just use a sphere of anhilation against it...well...if anyone in the party can survive it then you should be able to gain access to it :smalltongue:

Also, one way to cast more scorching ray would be a colossal multiheaded *something* you have now 29 heads. Cast one normal scorching ray and all the other 28 heads cast it stilled(i think you can, although it is subject whether the DM will allow it, since one head controls one hand, no reason it can't also cast spells on it's own, albeit from teh same reserve) now, 4 rays at CL 11, so 4*29= 116 scorching rays...

Meh...still i know there's more you can do...though instead of scorching rays why don't you cast ennervation or disintigrate? with 29 disintigrate or ennervation rays i think it's going down...fast...as long as you have enough spells...
You forgot twinned metamagic!
It's now 232 rays.:smalltongue:

Cuddly
2008-01-31, 09:27 PM

Disintegrate can't be put in a wand, nor does it shoot 3 rays at CL 11. My cheese comes from double wand wielder (the name's a bit of a misnomer); not dual staff wielding. Enervate doesn't shoot 3 rays, which become 4, which become 8. In otther words, it's not as cool.

I didn't bother with repeat spell because if anything lasts through my first 224 rays, it will either flee, or I'm trashed the next round.