PDA

View Full Version : Suited for solitaire?

Thunderfall
2008-01-30, 02:46 PM
Hello everybody!

I read through the whole Web-Comic in... about... 2 days? And I discovered this wonderful boardgame... While going through the rules I asked myself, if this game would fit for some good round of solitaire dungeon-crawling, or if the game just fails without other gamers.

Any experiences or variants that would make this good?

Thanks in advance and greetings,

Thomas

Spider76
2008-01-31, 02:25 AM
The only way (in my view) for it to be possible is if you think of each character, that you play, as an individual.
Meaning, when you play Roy, take only Roy in consideration, when making your move. (without thinking of which other character might benefit from the move).

:smallcool:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-01-31, 05:05 PM
I'd say, no, not really. It's a competitive game at its core, and really requires people to, you know, compete with.

Thunderfall
2008-02-01, 07:30 AM
Hmmmm... well... seems it does not solo well, eh?

The point is: I donīt know many people I could play this game with... my group (me too) is more the RPG-cooperative-endbosshunting-dontwannahurtyou sort of Group... and now I need a good excuse for myself, why I could... SHOULD buy this game nevertheless, other then supporting the author and owning a game with pretty cards. :-)

Greetings,

Thomas

FujinAkari
2008-02-02, 05:47 AM
The game will work fine as a cooperative game, every time I've played it has been like that, but you can't really play it alone.

BrooksSut
2008-02-18, 06:17 PM
"The game will work fine as a cooperative game, every time I've played it has been like that, but you can't really play it alone."

While true, this makes getting "stuck with Belkar" a pretty boring game. Belkar's best schticks come out in PvP, and you can miss some sweet opportunities to gain loot if you're not watching for a chance to rob an opponent blind in their sleep, no matter who you're playing. Besides, nobody "dies" in the game, you just run screaming for the dungeon entrance... so what's a little roughhousing between party members?

Dexter Sinister
2008-03-04, 08:52 AM
But could the game be ADAPTED to play solitaire? I was wondering about just playing as one (or two) characters, but having the others available to ask for help.

Or some other changes? I own the game, but haven't played it yet (So many games, so little time).

Spider76
2008-03-04, 09:26 AM
Well,
Since the game is ment for 2 and up players, when playing solitare you allready adjust the rules.

When i played a few times solitare, i did change the rules according to my desired advancemant :smallwink:

In other words, when no one is looking, play it however you see fit :smallbiggrin:

nerulean
2008-03-20, 12:15 PM
The game wouldn't take any adapting to function solitaire: it is possible to play entirely cooperatively, and our group generally does.

If you're looking for a reason to buy it, though, the jokes on the cards are enough for me. :smallwink: