PDA

View Full Version : I could do with a nap [Feats]

BisectedBrioche
2008-01-30, 03:09 PM
Dozer [General]
By letting your mind wander you can stave off fatigue
Prerequisites: Wis or Int 12 or better
Benefits: If your character has missed out on sleep you may spend some time idle (30 minutes, treated as flatfooted but not prone or helpless) to gain respite from the effects for 2 hours.
Normal: You must get a full nights rest to remove the negative effects of sleep deprivation.

Oil Burner [General]
You're used to staying up and missing out on sleep.
Prerequisites: Must have spent 36 hours without any form of rest.
Benefits: You may miss out on one night of sleep without any ill effects the following day. If you get no sleep the following night then the negative effects still stack with the previous night and you take the normal penalty for missing two nights worth of rest.
Normal: If you fail to sleep you are fatigued until you have rested.

Contagious Yawn [General]
When you yawn its unusually infectious
Prerequisites: Must be able to cast spontanious arcane spells
Benefits: When you are fatigued then you may yawn as a standard action. Any creature withine 100 feet which is able to hear must make an intelligence based will save with a DC of 10 + [your cha modefier] or also become fatigued.
Normal: Yawning does not cause fatigue

Sorry if there's some errors in them. I'm tired :smallbiggrin:

Magnor Criol
2008-01-30, 08:50 PM
Dozer and Oil Burner aren't bad. I wouldn't throw the [Sleep] subtype onto them, though; there's no reason for them to have a subtype at all. Just make them general feats.

A non-feat, spellcasting, or BAB prerequisite is unusual and, in my opinion, a little unwieldy. I'd get rid of Oil Burner's prereq. If you really want one for it, then make a constitution minimum. (Actually, that fits thematically for both feats.) Also, there's no reason at all for Contagious Yawn to have 4th-level spontaneous casting as a prereq.

Contagious Yawn isn't really good in its normal form. It needs some tweaking, at least. If they're being forced into a yawn, then they'd take a moment where they're not focused on what's in front of them, and their eyes are probably closed; just a short moment, though.

So make the yawn be a move action, and affected enemies lose their Dex bonus to AC and are treated as blind for a standard action (in other words, you use your move action to make them yawn, then get a standard action to get the drop on them whilst they're occupied.) Allies with readied actions focused on an enemy who falls victim to a contagious yawn might also have their readied action triggered by this, allowing there to be more of a point for more than one enemy to be affected.

If you really want a spellcasting requirement, make them expend a spell when they use the feat, making the check DC set by the spell level and appropriate ability modifier.

Riva
2008-01-30, 10:02 PM
That doesn't make any sense. I yawned while reading the post (curse its contagious effect...) and didn't close my eyes for six seconds. I didn't close my eyes for one second. I did blink though.

I agree they shouldn't need a subtype, general feats would work just as well.

Could you explain your reasoning for needing to be able to cast fourth level spontaneous spells? That part makes it seem a wee bit underpowered.

All in all I think they are pretty sweet. I think they would be most useful in an E6 campaign, as I can't imagine standard adventurers taking these feats.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-30, 10:07 PM
Dozer [Sleep]
By letting your mind wander you can stave off fatigue
Benefits: If your character has missed out on sleep you may spend some time idle (30 minutes, treated as flatfooted but not prone or helpless) to gain respite from the effects for 2 hours.
Normal: You must get a full nights rest to remove the negative effects of sleep deprivation.

Oil Burner [Sleep]
You're used to staying up and missing out on sleep.
Prerequisites: Must have spent 36 hours without any form of rest.
Benefits: You may miss out on one night of sleep without any ill effects
Normal: If you fail to sleep you are fatigued until you have rested.

Contagious Yawn [Sleep]
When you yawn it's unusually infectious
Prerequisites: Must be able to cast 4th level spontaneous arcane spells
Benefits: When you are fatigued, you may yawn as a standard action. Any creature within 100 feet which is able to hear must make an intelligence based will save with a DC of 10 + your Cha modifier or also become fatigued.
Normal: Yawning does not cause fatigue.

Errors fixed. :smallsmile:

Also, I'm not sure that Contagious Yawn should affect creatures of a different type. It never makes me want to yawn when I see a kitty yawn, for example.

Riva
2008-01-30, 10:20 PM
Are you kidding? I yawned just reading the OP! And not in an insulting way!

Also, since the spell casting prereq, I think this is a case of 'a wizard did it'

Andraste
2008-01-30, 11:51 PM

I wouldn't have this as Wis or Int because you don't really need to be smart to doze off.

Jaerc
2008-01-31, 01:17 AM
All mechanics aside; these are pure comedic gold!

Icewalker
2008-01-31, 01:43 AM
The second one needs to be better defined. How often can you miss one night without ill effects? Is it just you can't miss two in a row, allowing you to not sleep at all every other night? Two people with this would make great watchmen.

BisectedBrioche
2008-01-31, 03:23 AM
I wouldn't have this as Wis or Int because you don't really need to be smart to doze off.

The idea is that the character is meditating/daydreaming rather than actually sleeping.