PDA

View Full Version : Joni Mitchell

Lyesmith
2008-01-30, 03:33 PM
Theres not much musical discussion here, as of late, which is a shame, really.
And whilst wondering what to discuss, "Carey" (my personal favourite song of hers) came up on Shuffle.

My father persnally belives her to be the most talented female artist of the 20th century. Is this a widespread opinion amongst the playgrounders?

Argent
2008-01-30, 04:39 PM
She's got quite a strong reputation as a hugely talented singer/songwriter. What I've heard, I really enjoy, but I need to get more familiar with her myself.

Irenaeus
2008-01-30, 07:49 PM
I am afraid I am far to drunk to comment intelligently and extensively on this at the moment, but I think Joni Mitchell is absolutely one of the best singer/songwriters of the last century.

Moff Chumley
2008-01-30, 08:56 PM
Yep, deffinatly. She was instrumental not only to the California Folk scene in general, but to CSN, one of my favorite bands forming.

Jerthanis
2008-01-30, 09:27 PM
It doesn't matter how often I hear it, "Both Sides, Now" nearly brings a tear to my eye every time it comes on. I like her music a great deal. My parents might have met because of her music actually, so I guess I kind of owe her for more than just making some of my favorite music.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-01-31, 11:10 AM
I like Joni Mitchell. She's not my favourite artist, but she's definitely good, and definitely underrated as a musician and songwriter (by underrated, I mean not enough people know who she is/recognizes her as being great). I'll listen to her over most music being produced today. Plus, I gotta support a fellow Canadian.

Big Yellow Taxi is simply one of the best songs ever, Raised On Robbery is great if only because it mentions the Toronto Maple Leafs, and The Circle Game is very special to me - I listedn to it sometime in my childhood, and didn't hear it again for 10+ years, and when I did hear it again, it just brought back memories. The Circle Game just feels like childhood to me.

Bonus points to her for having the coolest album title ever - a compilation of songs of hers that she really likes but never became popular is called "Misses", and is paired with her best-of album, called "Hits".

Lyesmith
2008-01-31, 03:52 PM
Oh! So many songs i've not heard before! i shall get to pilfering albums from my father instantly. And i did rather like the "Hits" and "misses" albums, too. wonderful stuff :smallbiggrin:

Closet_Skeleton
2008-01-31, 03:58 PM
Is it okay if I say that I've never heard of her?

Wikipedia claims she inspired Clannad, so she can't be all good.

Lyesmith
2008-01-31, 04:00 PM
It's quite fine! She's not that publicised these days.

Irenaeus
2008-01-31, 04:48 PM

Wikipedia claims she inspired Clannad, so she can't be all good.No, it's not and yes she is.

What is a Clannad?

Lyesmith
2008-01-31, 04:53 PM
They're probably a band. a band... That are Not Good! (Dun dun dunn!)

Irenaeus
2008-01-31, 06:23 PM
Ghasp! Is there such a thing? Egads and God's Hooks!

ZombieRockStar
2008-01-31, 10:13 PM
*looks at sig*

She sucks. Worst contribution Canada's ever made to music. We should be ashamed of her.

"Case of You" is my favourite song of hers. Whether I like the version on Blue or the version on Both Sides Now really depends on my mood.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-02-01, 08:05 AM
What is a Clannad?

A pretentious celtic band that did the theme tune for one of the Robin the Hood tv series.

dehro
2008-02-01, 10:38 AM

Wikipedia claims she inspired Clannad, so she can't be all good.

it ain't.
she didn't just inspire clannad..
she was instrumental to the music scene that produced some of the most celebrated and talented groups and musicianst..
the eagles, crosby still nash and young, buffalo springfield, ...virtually anyone who played in the late sixties and early seventies owes her ...
she wrote "the song" best representing woodstock even though she wasn't there.

now, like her you might not...but not knowing about her is comparable to not knowing mozart existed...:smallfurious: