PDA

View Full Version : The New Captain America

Gundato
2008-01-30, 05:29 PM
At first, I was a bit skeptical. But Marvel is actually handling this well. They chose the best possible successor to Cap (Bucky), and they are constantly emphasizing that he is NOT Captain America. He is merely a person honoring Steve Rogers's memory by beating the crap out of Nazis/Commies.

I hate to say it, but they might have actually NOT screwed up.

Grod_The_Giant
2008-02-01, 03:34 PM
meh. They still screwed up in the first place by killing Cap.

W Herzog Zwei
2008-02-01, 04:24 PM
I really don't care about "they" in this situation (Marvel in general) - editorial killing off an icon is always temporary, and it smelled like a cheap marketing plot.

But what I care about is that Brubaker got to do it in Cap's own book instead of Millar doing it in the climax of Civil War. And the fact that Bru has been delivering his usual top-notch writing after Steve Rogers died.

The story so far has been good, and the transition to the new Cap has been believable - I think this is the most well done story of passing the mantle and legacy I have read (even if the New Blue Beetle is excellent, it hasn't dealt with the transition much, this book is still quite much about Steve even as Steve is pushing daisies). Kudos on Brubaker on this, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the rest of the ride with the new Cap.

North
2008-02-01, 07:41 PM
Best part of it is when Bucky tosses the shield and "misses", then just shoots them all in the kneecaps. :smallbiggrin:

Very well done though, they didnt rush it. Which makes me very happy. The way events led up to Bucky taking it over and his reasons. WOW! This is the most Ive ever liked Captain America.

Szilard
2008-02-01, 08:24 PM
Colbert '08! I do not read comic books.

North
2008-02-01, 10:23 PM
Colbert '08! I do not read comic books.

Would be better then any other politician.

Tallis
2008-02-19, 02:14 AM
I think this is one of the best comics out right now.
Bucky is, of course, the best choice for Captain America VI (VII if you count Hawkeye's 1 day as Cap), but at the same time I'll miss him as the Winter Soldier. Captain America being a former soviet assassin is an interesting twist...
My other choice would have been Clint Barton, who I think would've been more like Steve Rodgers.
I miss Steve, but I hope they leave him dead for a while. There's always flashback stories to keep him out there, without taking away from the impact of his death.

I am definitely looking forward to this series.

Tallis
2008-02-19, 02:22 AM
At first, I was a bit skeptical. But Marvel is actually handling this well. They chose the best possible successor to Cap (Bucky), and they are constantly emphasizing that he is NOT Captain America. He is merely a person honoring Steve Rogers's memory by beating the crap out of Nazis/Commies.

I hate to say it, but they might have actually NOT screwed up.

Just a nitpick: he is Captain America. He is not a Steve Rodgers clone (which is a good thing).

A lot of people seem to forget that Steve was not the only Captain America, there have been others. Whenever a Cap fell he was replaced, there were 3 (including Steve) during WWII alone, another in the 50s and another in the 80's(maybe early 90's) when Steve quit.

TheOtherMC
2008-02-19, 10:02 PM
A lot of people seem to forget that Steve was not the only Captain America, there have been others. Whenever a Cap fell he was replaced, there were 3 (including Steve) during WWII alone, another in the 50s and another in the 80's(maybe early 90's) when Steve quit.

Lest we forget U.S. Agent?

North
2008-02-20, 09:39 PM
Yeah and if IIRC Iron Man tried getting Hawkeye to be Cap, when they found out he was alive again. Hawkeye found the idea uncomfortable and disrespectful. Then he joined the outlaw Avengers team to really stick it to Stark :smallbiggrin:

Tallis
2008-02-23, 05:36 PM
Lest we forget U.S. Agent?

Yes, US Agent was the 80/90s one I was referring to. Patriot and Spirit of '76 were arround the end of WWII and another guy who had plastic surgery and changed his name to Steve Rodgers arround the 50s.

JessSoccer
2008-02-26, 09:31 PM
Best part of it is when Bucky tosses the shield and "misses", then just shoots them all in the kneecaps. :smallbiggrin:

/agree

I was always a Bucky fan and I was super excited that they didn't screw everything up like Marvel has a tendency to do.

Stam
2008-02-26, 10:25 PM
I also agree. "Actually, I did that on purpose." *gunsmoke as the shield dongs the guy behind him*

However, I do not agree with the general direction Marvel has been going with their storylines. Starting pretty much with Civil War, straight on through the Spider-Man #^%$-up and right on through the goings-on with the Red Skull.

I bought this issue because I did want to see how Bucky went as the Big A. It will almost certainly be the last Marvel comic I buy for a good long while.