PDA

View Full Version : Meetup Second Annual Southeast(ish) Trogland Meetup

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Zeb The Troll
2008-01-30, 09:36 PM
It's not too early to start making plans for this is it? No, I think not. Better to get the word out to as many people as possible.

In order to make this an annual event, the discussion has led to having it either the last week of June or the first week of July. Well, since this year the first weekend of July is the 4th, it seems like the weekend of June 27-29 is better.

The location, of course, would be in and abouts the regions of Johnson City, TN where the locals are both awesome and numerous. Last year there was enough floor space that no one needed a hotel room.

The smellie hippie has already promised that there will be homebrew that won't explode on us and PenguinSushi and LLama have promised to bake cookies (this should be interesting :smallcool: ).

Here is your chance (yes you, you know you want to) to start making plans, putting in for the vacation time, renting a kennel for the kids, whatever you need to do in order to make it.

Come one, come all! Just tell us you're coming so PenguinSushi and BardicBunny can have enough cots ready. :smallwink:

People confirmed coming:
Alarra
Zeb
Gitman
Raldor +2
DivaDe +2 younglings
Midnight Son
Shadow
Zaragon
Krade
HarmlessPenguin
Bushranger
Zombie Rockstar
Ego Slayer
samiam
LightWraith +1
Vael
Cristo Meyers +1
mf11 +1
Phoenixineohp
Cobra Ikari
RabbitHoleLost
Thallis Vahadt
Trog
Ceika
Tantolain

People that may come:
B-Man *
Syka +boy *
Bookman
rtg0922 *
Arameus
TheGreatJabu*
Pwenet *
Lilly
Shiny
Bor*
Phoekun
Sir Ghandi
PhantomFox
Smee*
Skywalker
Terumitsu
Kyrian*
Thes*
Vorpal Tribble*

Johnson cityites willing to host people:
Penguin Sushi/Bardic Bunny (3-4+) (DivaDe, Krade, Harmless Penguin)
Hippie/Mountain Fairie (Zeb, Alarra, Zaragon, Trog, Phoe?)
Llama (Bushranger, Ceika, Tantolain)
ArchivesNinja (PxP, room for 1 with sleeping bag/air mattress)

Recommended lodging near the Hippie Hut
Comfort Inn 1900 S Roan St, Johnson City, TN Phone: 423-928-9600
Current roomie situation at the Inn, for people to get together and maximize funds efficiency (please send or post updates if I'm misinformed or don't have it)
------------------------------
Midnight Son/Shadow/anyone else?
Raldor and clan
Ego, Sam, Cobra, Thallis, ZRS
Cristo Meyers + 1
DivaDe, RabitHoleLost
Vael

Game Suggestions (things we'd like to play if they're available)
Make Suggestions!

Games Available (things that will be available for play if people want)
Kubb! (no, it was never spelled wrong. why do you ask?)
Hex Hex
Bang!
Apples to Apples
Curses
OotS Adventure Game
Munchkin (and many many variations)
Five Crowns
*Probably not, at this time, but I'm too optimistic to actually take anyone back off the list.

Tormsskull
2008-01-30, 09:55 PM
Sounds like fun, can a local there post a zip code so we can all find approximate travel time/directions?

Zeb The Troll
2008-01-30, 09:58 PM
37604 (according to usps.com) should get you close enough for planning purposes.

ZombieRockStar
2008-01-30, 10:04 PM
I shall make every attempt to be there, but seeing as this is really far in advance, I can't say for certain what my summer work schedule will look like.

Vive le road trip!

Alarra
2008-01-30, 10:05 PM
I am fairly certain that barring any currently unforseen complications...I shall be able to attend.

Thes Hunter
2008-01-30, 10:06 PM
That is the weekend of Origins.

We could just meet up at Origins instead. :smallwink:

Penguinsushi
2008-01-30, 11:03 PM
Awesome. I'm so ready for it.

Yeah, I don't think we'll have other company this time, so BB and I *should* be able to help with stabling... ...er...places to sleep. (3-4 fairly comfortably, more if you want to cram, a bunch if someone wants the basement :smallwink: )

And sure, we'll make some cookies if you want (though that was *if* 'larra Morkified your avi for a while :smallwink:).

Between Llama, Hippie, ArchivesNinja and I we've got 3 Kubb sets, more board/card/rp games than most game shops, and plenty of room/places/connections for gatherings and general merriment.

Come on out. We'll be ready. :smallsmile:

We may(?) be able to nudge the dates a bit if necessary - but we have to have a general timeframe to start. I think that weekend was what most closely corresponded with last year's...

(Also note, much like last time - if you come, your picture *will* be taken, and it *will* be posted on the 'net. I had lots of fun with this last year, and I'll have my own spiffy camera this time. Be warned. I still enjoy looking at all the random pics of us having fun last year. Good times.)

EDIT: and Zombie, you need to come. We need to have that jam session... :smallsmile:

~PS

ZombieRockStar
2008-01-31, 12:04 AM
EDIT: and Zombie, you need to come. We need to have that jam session... :smallsmile:

~PS

Heh. Of course I do.

1 Fender Stratocaster: $1300
1 Gibson SG: $2500 (or whatever...I dunno)
1 Fender Jazzmaster: $2000

Three guitars blasting out pure & loud rock: Pri...OW MY EARS!

Syka
2008-01-31, 12:07 AM
Hey, I might actually be able to make this one! Well, if my boy is up for a bit of a road trip and I can figure out a way to explain to our parents I'm going to go meet some random people from a forum...

...but I'm pretty sure he'd be up for it. :) I can talk to him maybe since we wanted to take a road trip for a while now. Maybe we can do our camping thing in conjunction with this (maybe go camping and stop by for a day or so to say hi to everyone). He's never been camping in the mountains, and I used to go to the Smokey's all the time, so I've pretty much told him I'm going to force him to go. Hehe...

Cheers,
Syka

Zeb The Troll
2008-01-31, 12:13 AM
That would most awesome, Syka. Though if you're just interested in camping, can I suggest placing your tent in PenguinSushi's back yard? I know it's not the same as the Smokey Mountains, but then you wouldn't have to leave in order to "rough it". :smallcool:

Shadow
2008-01-31, 12:14 AM
Surprisingly, this may actually be one that I could make it out to.
It's far enough ahead of time that I can schedule it and it's not on a major weekend. :smallbiggrin:

And if I can come I'll bring my conga and help out the jam session! :smallwink:

Penguinsushi
2008-01-31, 12:26 AM
Surprisingly, this may actually be one that I could make it out to.
It's far enough ahead of time that I can schedule it and it's not on a major weekend. :smallbiggrin:

And if I can come I'll bring my conga and help out the jam session! :smallwink:

There's your drums, Zombie. :smallsmile:

~PS

@V He made some mention of it. The more the merrier.

Ego Slayer
2008-01-31, 12:32 AM
Hrm... innnnteresting. There is a possibility I may be able to come. Depends on whether Zombie can kidnap me, and if he can possibly get B-Man and Samiam also. I'll just lurk around the thread for now, though. :smalltongue:

Midnight Son
2008-01-31, 01:44 AM
As mentioned in the RB thread, I'm seriously considering this one. Woulda been there last year, but "complications" arose.

smellie_hippie
2008-01-31, 06:49 AM
This will be friggin awesome!

Zombie, if you can't bring your guitar gear... my son and I have it covered... trust me.
3 Electrics, 2 3/4 acoustics, 1 bass, 1 mandolin, 8 piece drum set, and various other small noise makers.

And for our outdoor venue, we have a private picnic grounds (except for the guy who tries to sell stolen goods to buy cigarettes) which also has a static ropes course. I can check and see if we could actually do the high-ropes activities for an added twist to the Meet-up theme.

I'll also check in to who might be playing at our small local venues. Nothing amazing, but that much more incentive...

see you all in a few months!

Gem Flower
2008-01-31, 06:56 AM
ARGHHH!!! I want to go! But I can't!:smallfrown: :smallfurious: (Stupid Canada:smallannoyed:)

Zeb The Troll
2008-01-31, 06:59 AM
pssst - ZombieRockStar lives in Canada and he plans to make it. I realize Canada's a big place, but don't like 90% of you live in 10% of it?

SMEE
2008-01-31, 07:04 AM
There's a small chance I'll be there for this meeting. But I can't be sure yet.

Given that Amber's birthday is in July, 16th, I may have to skip this meeting so I can be there with her in July, 19th...

International travels are sort of expensive... :smallfrown:

Gem Flower
2008-01-31, 07:12 AM
pssst - ZombieRockStar lives in Canada and he plans to make it. I realize Canada's a big place, but don't like 90% of you live in 10% of it?

Probably, but I think that there's a gap in ages between me and ZombieRockStar. Well, hope you guys have fun.

Diva De
2008-01-31, 07:36 AM
6 1/2 hour drive? I might be able to make that - if I'm invited...

I live in Myrtle Beach, and my father lives in Nashville - this is like, halfway between (granted, there are more direct routes to Nashville, but whatever).

I have never been to a meet-up before, and I would love to meet some of you guys. My hubby will be against it, but that's because he sucks. :smalltongue:

No promises, but I'm gonna try. OK, so who's letting me stay with them? :smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2008-01-31, 08:59 AM
Diva - Of course you're invited! And you'd be familiar with most of the route too. JC is about 50 miles due north of Asheville and right off of I-26. And since we're still 5 months away, you have plenty of time to get your hubby addicted to the boards too. :smallcool:

LightWraith
2008-01-31, 09:30 AM
Tennessee you say!

*Runs to Google Maps*

Gah, 485 miles. Stupid long state.

Regardless, there is a decent chance that I could make this one.

It would be a really long bike ride, so I will have to see about transportation.

Assuming I can get that squared away, I would be up for it.

Bookman
2008-01-31, 10:12 AM
Diva - Of course you're invited! And you'd be familiar with most of the route too. JC is about 50 miles due north of Asheville and right off of I-26. And since we're still 5 months away, you have plenty of time to get your hubby addicted to the boards too. :smallcool:

I was discussing this with Ego last night. As far as I can tell from Google Maps I-26 starts in Charleston (basically where I live) and ENDS almost in Johnson City. It's creeeeeeepy :tongue:

I may go........I'll think about it closer to the time (I have family coming down "sometime this summer" and of course my show that I'm directing performs 2 weeks prior) I wish Diva lived more along my way. I'd help with a ride if she needed :tongue:

MYyyyyyyyyy ride would only be 5 hours (Well according to Google maps......and who knows how reliable THAT is)

Diva De
2008-01-31, 10:19 AM
Hubby is too...anti-social for the boards, methinks. Though he does love the OOTS comic...

Meh, I'll manage, though it would be fun to have company on the road, Bookman. (I'll be ditching the kids, so no worries there.) Maybe we can meet up somewhere more convenient for you and travel together. (I hate long, lonely car rides, even though I can blast my music as loud as I like.)

Zeb, I used to live in Sylva, NC, so I know that area fairly well (assuming it hasn't changed much in the last...15 years...:smalleek: ).

Penguinsushi
2008-01-31, 10:24 AM
I was discussing this with Ego last night. As far as I can tell from Google Maps I-26 starts in Charleston (basically where I live) and ENDS almost in Johnson City. It's creeeeeeepy :tongue:

Yeah, I-26 ends in Kingsport (about 30 min. north of here).

Glad to see so many people are interested. I hope quite a few can come. :smallsmile:

~PS

Cobra_Ikari
2008-01-31, 10:46 AM
I'd like to come to this, if I can...we'll see how it works out.

...it's apparently a 7 hour drive to there...hmm. Oh, well. >.>

Tormsskull
2008-01-31, 10:49 AM
37604 (according to usps.com) should get you close enough for planning purposes.

Total Est. Time: 10 hours, 5 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 628.77 miles

MEEP!

Umm, if I were to book a flight, would I be able to con someone into picking me up from a nearby airport?

Penguinsushi
2008-01-31, 10:53 AM
Total Est. Time: 10 hours, 5 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 628.77 miles

MEEP!

Umm, if I were to book a flight, would I be able to con someone into picking me up from a nearby airport?

If you flew into Tri-Cities, I'm sure that could be arranged.

~PS

RTGoodman
2008-01-31, 11:10 AM
According to the ubiquitous GoogleMaps, it's only about 150 miles from my house to Johnson City. It say it takes 3 hours and 20 minutes, but I think that may not be correct - I can get to Boone in like an hour and a half, I think, and that's like 3/4 of the way. Of course, the rest of the way after that is all mountains, so it may take that long (if my Jeep can actually survive the mountains :smalleek: ).

Like some others, I'm not sure if I have plans for those dates yet, but I'd love to meet some other Playgrounders in person and this seems like the closest meet-up I'm gonna get (unless someone is willing to host one in Winston or Raleigh or somewhere like that). If anyone is on the way between the Triad area and Johnson City, I might be able to pick them up if they need a ride, but I don't want to make concrete plans yet.

phoenixineohp
2008-01-31, 11:28 AM
(Also note, much like last time - if you come, your picture *will* be taken, and it *will* be posted on the 'net. I had lots of fun with this last year, and I'll have my own spiffy camera this time. Be warned. I still enjoy looking at all the random pics of us having fun last year. Good times.)

~PS

Aww. Don't scare me off already. :smallfrown:

Edit: *Pulls up google maps*
1,208 km – about 12 hours 8 mins... huh.

*Pulls up flight information*

Gitman00
2008-01-31, 11:35 AM
...PenguinSushi and LLama have promised to bake cookies (this should be interesting :smallcool: ).

Interesting indeed. They sent me pictures with the cookies in the Kuwait care package. Apparently it took them three attempts to get 'em right, but they turned out pretty good. My gaming group devoured them in one session. Anyway, count me in!

By the way, did you guys ever get my letter?

Penguinsushi
2008-01-31, 11:41 AM
Interesting indeed. They sent me pictures with the cookies in the Kuwait care package. Apparently it took them three attempts to get 'em right, but they turned out pretty good. My gaming group devoured them in one session. Anyway, count me in!

By the way, did you guys ever get my letter?

Awesome - glad you liked them!

Yeah, it *did* take 3 tries. We ultimately decided the recipe was bad & used another for the good batch.

Yeah, ArchivesNinja got your letter a couple days ago - she said she was going to bring it to the coffeehouse to show the rest of us tomorrow.

Glad to hear you'll be returning for meetup 2.0. :smallsmile:

~PS

@ Pheonix ^ : Aww, come on. Pictures of these things are great. We get to show off to all the people who didn't come how much fun we had!

@ TS V: Nono, I'll prolly just print off your avi and hold that. You know, unless it says 'I am a terrorist' or something :smallwink:. That, or I'll get mine printed on a t-shirt. Actually, that would be really cool. Speaking of, I wonder if the ArchivesNinja is going to make avatar nametags for us this year...*muses*

Tormsskull
2008-01-31, 11:41 AM
If you flew into Tri-Cities, I'm sure that could be arranged.

~PS

Excellent, I'll look for the Penguin holding the "Tormsskull" Sign. :smalltongue:

The Valiant Turtle
2008-01-31, 12:06 PM
I will be coming. I don't care if I have to quit my job and hitchhike!

Actually my wife does want to get down there every now and then, so this should be pretty easy to work out. We will probably either stay with other friends down there or just book a hotel room. Considering the number of people showing interest so far we may overload the free lodging available...

I just checked and Comfort Inn Suites has 2 Queen + 1 sofa bed suites available for $90/night. With a couple of people sharing that, it's pretty reasonable.

It sounds like we'll have enough instruments to have a real rock band to accompany the game Rock Band! That sounds crazy enough that we pretty much have to try it.

I really can't wait to see you all again!

Penguinsushi
2008-01-31, 12:07 PM
Awesome, Raldor. I was hoping you'd be able to join us. We've missed having you around.

~PS

Syka
2008-01-31, 12:27 PM
According to MapQuest it's about 10.5 hours. :smalleek: I'd feel so bad making my boy drive that much. But I'm going to ask him 'cause this would be a great excuse to do a roadtrip we've been wanting to do since about November. And there would be lodging...Awesome.

I'll let you guys know a tentative answer sometime in the next week.

Cheers,
Syka

Zeb The Troll
2008-01-31, 12:33 PM
Aww. Don't scare me off already. :smallfrown:
What if I promise to ride my bike over anyone who actually does post a pic of you that you disapprove of? :smallcool:

Just kidding. PS is a reasonable guy and we can persuade him not to post anything you don't want him to. :smallsmile:

*makes threatening pointy gesture with his cane at anyone who tries to scare away other attendees*

Alarra
2008-01-31, 01:09 PM
And you know phoenix...if zombie's coming, maybe you canadians could ride together. :smallsmile:

Penguinsushi
2008-01-31, 01:18 PM
What if I promise to ride my bike over anyone who actually does post a pic of you that you disapprove of? :smallcool:

Just kidding. PS is a reasonable guy and we can persuade him not to post anything you don't want him to. :smallsmile:

*nods* of course, of course. i love taking/having/sharing pictures, but i wouldn't do anything someone really didn't want me to. I don't think there were any bad ones put up last year...

:smallsmile:

~PS

ZombieRockStar
2008-01-31, 01:37 PM
That'd be one packed car. :smalleek:

Canadian convoy! Blazing trails into the uncivilized south! :smallwink:

Though, for all Canadians interested in coming: you will need proper identification now, apparently. Passports or birth certificate/driver's licence, apparently.

Arameus
2008-01-31, 01:42 PM
You sure picked one hell of a place to convene! I go up there to Jonesborough every now and again for the Storytelling Festival, and so I'm pretty familiar with the area: the lovely Asheville is there, and the Biltmore Estate, and there's even a dynamite place for rafting for those posters among who you would enjoy a day of sweat and potential drowning. And, of course, it's all in the lovely Smokies. I think Lake Junaluska is right nearby... Wow, do I have some fond memories of that place, although in hindsight it reminds me way too much of Silent Hill.

All that said, I probably won't be able to go, but I'll look into it.

TheGreatJabu
2008-01-31, 01:45 PM
Holy hell, Johnson City. I would actually consider that. I only live two hours away tops, so I sure can't use distance as an excuse. What'd be even funnier is if I get accepted into that PhD program at ETSU - then I'd LIVE there, and have no excuses at all! :smalleek:

I'm not saying that I'm going, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Mountain_Faerie
2008-01-31, 01:51 PM
rtg0922 - Getting here from Boone is easy. You just throw it in neutral and coast all the way down. It's getting home that's the hard part. :smallwink:

Bookman - There should be a way to get you up to JC. I mean, you're not that far away.

Arameus - I take it your a PK. Were you on Silent Hill every summer?

This is getting exciting! It looks like we are going to have a house full. (Starts moving furniture to try and fit more people. It's a good thing I've got 5 months to figure this out :smalltongue: ).

Penguinsushi
2008-01-31, 01:53 PM
Holy hell, Johnson City. I would actually consider that. I only live two hours away tops, so I sure can't use distance as an excuse. What'd be even funnier is if I get accepted into that PhD program at ETSU - then I'd LIVE there, and have no excuses at all! :smalleek:

I'm not saying that I'm going, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Meetup or no - if you end up coming to ETSU, you'll have to come hang out with some of us sometime..

@ Arameus ^: The Storytelling Festival is *awesome*. Wish I could go to it again. So expensive.

~PS

Arameus
2008-01-31, 04:32 PM
Arameus - I take it your a PK. Were you on Silent Hill every summer?

Well it looks like I can't get anything past you. I certainly am, and I certainly did.

Junaluska, for those of you who are completely baffled by this side conversation, is a little resort town right across the North Carolina border that's probably about 99% United Methodist. It's situated on the eponymous lake, with almost all the buildings situated on one side of the lake or other. There's a big retreat there, so the entire place is sort of like holy ground to UM's.

But the creepy part is that, but for the mountainous terrain and lack of city blocks, the place bears an uncanny resemblance to Silent Hill, at least in my mind. SH2 could almost be recreated there building for building, action for action.

Bookman
2008-01-31, 05:04 PM
Bookman - There should be a way to get you up to JC. I mean, you're not that far away.

Well my main concern is the fact I might have family down to visit. They're coming this summer............sometime :tongue:

TheGreatJabu
2008-01-31, 07:16 PM
Meetup or no - if you end up coming to ETSU, you'll have to come hang out with some of us sometime..

Actually yeah, that'd be pretty groovy. The gaming scene in Cookeville is mediocre, but at least I'm on a first-name basis with the local Game Store owner. It'd be nice to know a few folks IRL who did some gaming. The two buddies I play with now...I love 'em, but let's just say that when it comes to gaming, they have trouble getting par for the course. :smallcool:

Syka
2008-01-31, 07:27 PM
PS or MF, are there any good camp grounds in the mountains around you? I talked to my boyfriend and he said OK to the road trip (well, it's tentative, as it always is with us), but I'd prefer to camp. 1. Because he's never been camping in the mountains and we both haven't been camping in a while and 2. To lessen the burden on you guys taking people into your home.

I'll warn you now, if we end up being completely inept at getting everything set up and all, though, you might end up with a defeated couple crashing with you. :smallwink:

...I'm actually curious how we'd fit all the camping gear into his Firebird. :smalleek:

Cheers,
Syka

ForzaFiori
2008-01-31, 07:43 PM
hm...its only like 134 miles to Johnson City from here. Oddly enough, its actually slightly west of me, though its in TN and i'm in SC. I may actually talk to my mom about that. Since i'll have my restricted i'd be able to make the drive without involving them if my car is running by then...and I can play the bass in the actually band y'all seem to have forming, though i'm not the best in the world (though i could put up a good competition for worst :P)

Penguinsushi
2008-01-31, 07:43 PM
PS or MF, are there any good camp grounds in the mountains around you? I talked to my boyfriend and he said OK to the road trip (well, it's tentative, as it always is with us), but I'd prefer to camp. 1. Because he's never been camping in the mountains and we both haven't been camping in a while and 2. To lessen the burden on you guys taking people into your home.

I'll warn you now, if we end up being completely inept at getting everything set up and all, though, you might end up with a defeated couple crashing with you. :smallwink:

...I'm actually curious how we'd fit all the camping gear into his Firebird. :smalleek:

Cheers,
Syka

you know, you'd think I'd know that... ...but alas, I seem to be drawing a blank. The only one I can think of for sure is Roan Mtn, but that's about 45 min. away. I'm sure there are some camping areas in Cherokee Nat'l Forest, but i'm not sure *where* exactly.

I'll email a friend and see if he can think of any. And maybe Hippie & MF know...

~PS

Syka
2008-01-31, 07:49 PM
Thanks. :) And if you need a musician, my boy plays Guitar and some Bass. I can play a mean cowbell (seriously! I've done it!). Alas, I don't think we'd bring his stuff because, well, camping+guitars=not good. Plus we need all the room we could get.

Cheers,
Syka

Pwenet
2008-01-31, 07:50 PM
Hmmm.

Oh wise google maps, how many gallons of coffee will it take to drive to the fabled meetup?

Google Maps

782 mi – about 12 hours 31 mins
:smalleek:
:smallfurious:
:smallsigh:

Echoing Tomskull, if someone could possibly arrange for a airport pickup, I might be able to have my arm twisted into coming.

Also - What is the closest airport to the meetup?

ForzaFiori
2008-01-31, 07:56 PM
you know, you'd think I'd know that... ...but alas, I seem to be drawing a blank. The only one I can think of for sure is Roan Mtn, but that's about 45 min. away. I'm sure there are some camping areas in Cherokee Nat'l Forest, but i'm not sure *where* exactly.

I'll email a friend and see if he can think of any. And maybe Hippie & MF know...

~PS

idk how close they are too you, but all of the Appalachian trail is a camping area if you feel like hiking in and out a bit. and from where it was on the maps, its not like your that far from the mountains, correct?

EDIT: Google Maps for the win again.

camp grounds around Johnson City:
River Ridge Campground
643 Smalling Rd, Johnson City, TN
(423) 542-6187

Woodsmoke Campgrounds
215 Woodsmoke Dr, Unicoi, TN
(423) 743-2116

Riverpark Campground
3937 Highway 81 S, Jonesborough, TN
(423) 753-5359

North Indian Creek Campground
110 Camp Ground Rd, Unicoi, TN
(423) 743-4502

K O A Kampgrounds
Edited
425 Rocky Branch Rd, Blountville, TN
(423) 323-7790 - 1 review

Stoney Creek Campground
108 Price Rd, Elizabethton, TN
(423) 474-3505

those are all the actually campgrounds off the first page of results. Others were like trailer parks and such.

smellie_hippie
2008-01-31, 07:59 PM
Closest Airport = Tri-Cities TN approximately 20 miles from Meet-up Central
Next Closest = Knoxville TN approximately 2 hours away, but negotiable

Camping...
A couple of small places around Lake Watauga
Buffalo Mountain (questionable)
Cherokee Mountains (I'll check on specifics)
Roan Mountain (the AT runs through here)
all within approximately 30-45 minutes

These are all guess-timations, but as the dates become closer I can get you more specifics. I have also been speaking with Mountain Faerie about help with housing. We might be able to host anywhere from 2-5 depending on how friendly you all plan on being (Zeb and Alarra have dibs on my daughter's room if she's out of town.)

Raldor posted about a hotel with is literally a 5 minute walk from my house and a 5 minute drive to Penguinsushi's or LLama'a place.

Street addresses, phone numbers and emails (since we all know our PM boxes are always full) will also come out closer to the date.

I will make it my mission to make this a legendary event. :smallamused:

Syka
2008-01-31, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the campground info. :)

And is Llama (http://www.tnvacation.com/vendors/cherokee_mountain_llama_bed_breakfast/) hiding something from us?

That was on the list of "Nearby stuff" when I checked out River Ridge. XD

Cheers,
Syka

Midnight Son
2008-01-31, 08:21 PM
1,912 miles for me. If I make it, I'll be flyin'. I do plan to rent a car, though, so I could grant rides.

smellie_hippie
2008-01-31, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the campground info. :)

And is Llama hiding something from us?

That was on the list of "Nearby stuff" when I checked out River Ridge. XD

Cheers,
Syka

We do have a LLama farm in town that is known for making mookies.

"It's not just a cookie... it's a MOOKIE!" :smallamused:

The Valiant Turtle
2008-01-31, 09:05 PM
If anyone wants to try flying into Knoxville I might be able to co-ordinate picking them up on my way in. It's not my normal route, but it's not that far out of the way. I could also manage a pick-up in Lexington, Louisville or Cincinnati, but we would still have about a 5 hour drive, and you'd probably have to watch a lot of Barney, Barbie or Vegie-tales. It really depends on what times the flights arrive and depart.

ZombieRockStar
2008-01-31, 09:35 PM
:smalleek:
:smallfurious:
:smallsigh:

Ah, phht! :smalltongue: If I end up picking up a phoenix, a B-Man, and a cat-girl, Google is telling me to be ready for a 13.5 hour trip, without accounting for stops along the way for such unnecessary things as food and washroom breaks. :smallamused:

ForzaFiori
2008-01-31, 09:51 PM
hey, just wondering, IF i manage to come, is there any way i could squeeze into one of the houses owned by one of the amazing playgrounders? It would be amazing enough for my mom to let me come, but there is no way she'll let me stay in a hotel by myself.

TheGreatJabu
2008-02-01, 02:52 AM

Cheers,
Syka

Hah! If I go, that'd be 2 Firebirds there. Talk about wasted hauling space! Our combined trunk dimensions might be 6 square feet. :smallsmile:

Also - What is the closest airport to the meetup?

Again, don't put your money on me anytime soon, but I'm only an hour away from Nashville International. I should probably make up my mind pretty soon for the people whose plans might hinge on that decision.

Mountain_Faerie
2008-02-01, 09:12 AM
I've been checking out the campground ideas for those of you who are interested. I don't know much about any of them, but I'm sure some of us can drive by some of them in the next couple of months. So, here they are in distance to the Hippie Hut:

River Ridge Camping - less than 5 miles

Woodsmoke - less than 10 miles

Stoney Creek and North Indian Creek - both less than 15 miles

Riverpark and Nolichucky Gorge - both less than 20 miles

KOA - less than 25 miles

Also, for those of you waiting on parent permission, we can try and help on that end. We don't have a lot of bed space, but we have a couch and a couple of z-rests. If need be, someone can even sleep with the rabbit. :smalltongue:

Syka
2008-02-01, 02:45 PM
Hah! If I go, that'd be 2 Firebirds there. Talk about wasted hauling space! Our combined trunk dimensions might be 6 square feet. :smallsmile:

What kind? His is a '97 Red one. He thought the poor thing was going to die on him a couple months ago, but we got it back to...well, not new, but working. He was so sad thinking he might have to get a new car.

(And I'm totally pulling for Pontiac to bring out a new Firebird/Trans Am because of the new Camaro...)

I tried to check out the website for River Ridge but it wouldn't load (like, five times). Thanks for offering to drive by. :) I'll let you know if we're going so you don't waste your time doing that.

Cheers,
Syka

Krade
2008-02-01, 10:30 PM
I might be able to drive myself by this time and might have my to convince my sister-in-law to come with/drive me there since either way it would be her car making the trip.

I just checked and Comfort Inn Suites has 2 Queen + 1 sofa bed suites available for $90/night. With a couple of people sharing that, it's pretty reasonable.
If the above doesnt pan out for me, I have a question for you: What part of Indiana are you in? I am willing to do anything in my power to make this meet-up and hitching a ride with you and chipping in for this room you speak of seems like a pretty good idea.

I really can't wait to see you all again!
Seconded! I had SO much fun hanging out with everyone at GenCon, I really can't wait for this.:smallbiggrin:

Also: I really like how far ahead this is being planned. It will give me a chance to go through many different possible ways to get there. I already have five six possibilities planned out.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2008-02-01, 10:33 PM
*Pokes head in* >.>;

Should I? Or...shouldn't I?

Shadow
2008-02-01, 10:40 PM
Shouldn't that read:

*pokes stick in* >.>;

?

Syka
2008-02-01, 11:01 PM
*Pokes head in* >.>;

Should I? Or...shouldn't I?

Dooo eeeeet....Dooooo eeeet....*subliminal messaging*

Cheers,
Syka

Alarra
2008-02-01, 11:22 PM
You so should and you know it.

The Valiant Turtle
2008-02-02, 08:46 AM
If the above doesnt pan out for me, I have a question for you: What part of Indiana are you in? I am willing to do anything in my power to make this meet-up and hitching a ride with you and chipping in for this room you speak of seems like a pretty good idea.

I'm in Columbus, so not terribly far away from Indy. You might want to see if El Jaspero is interested also since he lives somewhere in Indy.

Lilly
2008-02-02, 08:53 AM
You know what, if I'm still living in SE Trogland at the end of June, I'll see if I can make it.

Diva De
2008-02-02, 09:27 AM
I tentatively broached the subject of "fan conventions" in general to my hubby and he shrugged and said he might go to one. I have a few more months to warm him up to it, but if he says no, I'll be flying solo.

I am definitely planning on coming - now just to work out the fine details, like where to put my kids...

phoenixineohp
2008-02-02, 09:53 AM
Put them with the bunny! They'll love that and I'll try and make space for them. Two kids right? *puts the bunny on her lap* There. All set.

QueenOfMemnoch
2008-02-02, 10:28 AM
If anyone is coming up through Arkansas and wouldn't mind giving me a ride, I'd be able to go ^^

2008-02-02, 10:39 PM
You so should and you know it.
I wish I could deny it with something more compelling than my lack of kubb knowledge.

Ah, boop it. I'll do my best to show up...but don't count on me just yet.

ForzaFiori
2008-02-02, 10:46 PM
how old are the kids Diva?

Penguinsushi
2008-02-02, 11:53 PM
I wish I could deny it with something more compelling than my lack of kubb knowledge.

Ah, boop it. I'll do my best to show up...but don't count on me just yet.

Ah, but kubb i so easy to learn. We'll edumacate you in no time. :smallbiggrin:

~PS

phoenixineohp
2008-02-02, 11:55 PM
From what I infer, you throw a series of pokysticks at a pointy post. Right?

Alarra
2008-02-03, 12:17 AM
From what I infer, you throw a series of pokysticks at a pointy post. Right?

Well, they're not really poky sticks...exactly. I mean, I guess you could poke someone with them, but they're not like pointy. And it's not really a post, but more like blocks, and they aren't really pointy....well, I mean, I guess there are pointy parts on the king, but.....

Umm...suffice it to say...yeah, basically.

Krade
2008-02-03, 12:19 AM
I played it with Indurain, Phoekun, Amotis, and a few others at GenCon. I learned how to play in minutes after nearly 24 straight hours of activity and little sleep the night before.

So here is how the game of Kubb is played:

You have 10 smallish wooden bricks, 1 biggish wooden brick, and I think it was 5 or 6 smallish wooden rods. You make 2 lines out of the smallish bricks parallel to each other about 20 feet apart. You put the biggish brick in the middle. Each side takes turns throwing all the smallish wooden rods from behind their line of smallish wooden bricks to try and knock down all the smallish wooden bricks on the other side. Once all of the smallish wooden bricks are knocked down, you throw the smallish wooden rods at the biggish wooden brick, once knocked over, the game ends.

However, once one side has thrown all of their smallish wooden rods, any smallish wooden bricks that were knocked over are then thrown as close to the biggish wooden brick without going past it and sets it up. Now that smallish wooden brick has to be knocked down before any of the other smallish wooden bricks can be knocked down. Once the thrown smallish wooden brick is knocked down, itonce again takes it's rightful place in the line of smallish wooden bricks. If the smallish wooden brick that was thrown is not knocked over, then that side may throw their smallish wooden rods from behind that smallish wooden brick instead of the line of smallish wooden bricks.

I think that pretty much covers it. I know I missed at least one thing about it, but that's mostly the whole gist of the game.

Edit: I think Renegade Paladin was there too. And Allara, but I can't remeber if she went out there with us or if she was sleeping in the room. There's pictures somewhere, but I am FAR too lazy to look for them.

Edit II: Oh yeah, we also managed to knock a chip off of the biggish wooded block. Don't ask me how, it just happened.

Edit III: SweetRain! He was there too... And Zuzu (I think was her screen name) who didn't join the boards until either during or just after Gencon.

ZombieRockStar
2008-02-03, 12:27 AM
Or, to sum up: the old halfling game of throw the stick and then the brick shortly thereafter.

Krade
2008-02-03, 12:29 AM
I was going to say that, but I couldn't remember the exact quote and I don't have access to my books, nor do I feel like looking through the archives.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-02-03, 02:43 AM
Hmmm...It would seem that I am overdue to try and make it to one of these gatherings. What's more, my brother lives in TN. Mayhap I can make the meeting AND visit my brother.

Then again, with my luck, I will explode between now and then. I'll try not to eat nearly as much C-4 as I normally do. :smallconfused:

Edit: Ummm...I'm noticing something I hadn't paid attention to before. Silly me, I read only the first post. People seem to be suggesting camping, hiking, and other things that involve...well, a functioning body. If this happens, then I'm afraid I won't even try. I have enough problems with the mediocre indoors, so imagine my distress with the great outdoors. :smalleek:

Shadow
2008-02-03, 03:32 AM
Bor: No worries on the camping thing.
PS or MF, are there any good camp grounds in the mountains around you? I talked to my boyfriend and he said OK to the road trip (well, it's tentative, as it always is with us), but I'd prefer to camp. 1. Because he's never been camping in the mountains and we both haven't been camping in a while and 2. To lessen the burden on you guys taking people into your home.This was just going to be a part of he trip for Syka and her boy-toy.
Personally, I'm leaning towards the hotel that Raldor suggested myself.

Diva De
2008-02-03, 10:48 AM
My boys will be 5 and 1 in June - lots of fun, but I could use a break!

Alarra
2008-02-03, 11:23 AM
Don't worry Bor....most of us have no intention of camping or hiking. The most I plan to go outside is really for a game or two of kubb.

*Does a happy Bor may come dance*

Edit:
I've updated the first post with lists of people interested, people confirmed coming, etc. If you would like to be moved to one list or another, say so...

Mountain_Faerie
2008-02-03, 11:55 AM
Bor - We would love for you to come. Hippie was very excited when I told him you posted. You coming would add to the EPIC-ness of the adventure. I think the only outdoorsy things that are set in stone are a cookout, probably at the ropes course (easy access - no climbing necessary) and some Kubb. Beyond that, I know several boys who are planning a jam session, so we even have a free concert!

Please try and come... :smallsmile:

ZombieRockStar
2008-02-03, 01:29 PM
Bor? Bor's coming? Huzzah! This is going to be the best meet-up ever! Or one of the best...well...definitely in my top five (ignore the fact that I've only been to four as yet). It's gonna be awesome. :smallcool:

I might want to be camping. I'm not sure yet. Camping in the mountains is one of the funnest things ever. Maybe depends on how much money I end up having for this.

phoenixineohp
2008-02-03, 01:35 PM
Yeah, if Bor can come, there has to be a way to get my Canadian butt down there.

And I referred to the kubb sticks as pokysticks due to who asked the question. Just to clarify. :smallsmile:

Ego Slayer
2008-02-03, 01:44 PM
o.O;
Damn, I don't want to miss this if Bor comes. :smallsigh:

B-Man
2008-02-03, 01:58 PM
:sigh:

I don't want to miss this meet up, too many awesome people are going to be there. I'm lacking in the transport division plus I'm apartment hunting for May. I have, however, started the passport application process.

Syka
2008-02-03, 02:49 PM
Hey Bor! Yeah, camping was just mainly going to be me and my boy. I've been meaning to get him up to the Smokies and, whadda ya know, Johnson City is right there.

Speaking of, the boy said he would like to go. So, especially given the amount of people I know who are going, I'm really going to try. I'd hate to miss it. Plus, I haven't been out of state in...over a year and a half. :smalleek: I need to get outta this place, hehe.

And learn Kubb!

Cheers,
Syka

ZombieRockStar
2008-02-03, 04:07 PM
:sigh:

I don't want to miss this meet up, too many awesome people are going to be there. I'm lacking in the transport division plus I'm apartment hunting for May. I have, however, started the passport application process.

Yeah, if Bor can come, there has to be a way to get my Canadian butt down there.

Is no one paying attention to me? I'll have a car! And it won't be winter, so I'll probably not almost kill us in a blizzard this time! Uh...I mean...me drive good. >_>

Also...no word on whether Indy and Zuzu are coming...Indy? Zuzu? You must come! Awesomeness awaits!

o.O;
Damn, I don't want to miss this if Bor comes. :smallsigh:

You...you're getting kidnapped, Sweetie. There's no avoiding it. :smallwink:

B-Man
2008-02-03, 04:32 PM
Is no one paying attention to me? I'll have a car! And it won't be winter, so I'll probably not almost kill us in a blizzard this time! Uh...I mean...me drive good. >_>

Sorry! I've only been skimming the thread. ._.

Ya, and no blizzard conditions to contend with, it shall be awesome!

Zeb The Troll
2008-02-03, 04:43 PM
Holy smokes! This has exploded beyond my wildest dreams.

*goes to list of playgrounders yet to meet*

*scritch scritch scritch*

Okay, if everyone here shows up, my list gets dramatically shorter.

*glee!*

SMEE
2008-02-03, 05:04 PM
I'm studying the possibility to land on Gainsville on the 27th, pick up Vael and take a plane to Johnson City, TN.

I'll update about that happening or not closer to the meeting date.

smellie_hippie
2008-02-03, 07:46 PM
So...

Mountain_Faerie and I have been talking about exactly what we might do to bring this meet-up to the "EPIC" proportion. The ideas are flowing, and I will keep some of them as suprises, but here's a few things that we have in store.

1. I think there are 3 or 4 KUBB sets around here.

2. Private picnic grounds for our cookout.
But hippie, you already mentioned that one...
Yeah... but did I say anything about assuring that we would have vegetarian options? :smallamused:

3. No less than 6 after hours restaurants (one of which is great for late night card games), 8 coffee shops (yes I included both Starbucks :smallyuk: ) but sadly no gaming stores.

4. I think we have about 12 guitars around here amongst the locals... so a private concert is definately in order.

That's enough to start with. Like I said, we have a few surprises in store. We're looking forward to seeing everybody!!!

phoenixineohp
2008-02-03, 07:52 PM

I read/heard you but I didn't think you'd honestly meant you'd take me. I shall seriously consider your kind offer. And wasn't me who almost killed us in snow conditions. Well not 'almost killed' but it is handy to be able to see the line on the highway. :smalleek:

You...you're getting kidnapped, Sweetie. There's no avoiding it. :smallwink:
Is it just be or is that really sweet?
Kidnappings are romantic to you?
Yes. Well that one is. *shhhh*

Syka
2008-02-03, 08:11 PM
Is it just be or is that really sweet?
Kidnappings are romantic to you?
Yes. Well that one is. *shhhh*

It is really cute. Whenever my boyfriend visits/I go home he jokes about kidnapping me. I always thinks its really cute. Like, we were laying in bed this morning and he was goes, "If it's OK with you, I'm going to take you home with me. Just throw you in the trunk and go home."

I shook my head.

"Back seat?"

Shake my head again.

"Front."

"There you go. ;)"

Cheers,
Syka

ArchivesNinja
2008-02-03, 08:27 PM
Johnson cityites willing to host people:
Penguin Sushi/Bardic Bunny (3-4+)
Hippie/Mountain Fairie
Llama?
ArchivesNinja?

Oh, hey, meet-up stuff. Lookatthat. Yeah, I'll do my best to host if I'm in town. There's a possibility I'll be in Chicago, but that's not firm yet. :smallbiggrin:

Penguinsushi
2008-02-03, 10:48 PM
Oh, hey, meet-up stuff. Lookatthat. Yeah, I'll do my best to host if I'm in town. There's a possibility I'll be in Chicago, but that's not firm yet. :smallbiggrin:

Ack. The AN may not be around? Hmm. let's hope that's not the case. If it were, any possibilities on nudging the date? (for that or this?) It would suck for locals to be missing...

The Bardic Bunny reminds me to point something out: in my overeagerness to grant hospitality i may have neglected to mention that we sadly have but one bathroom. We have a good deal of *space*, but that other limitation maybe should be taken into consideration. We *are* fans of GPH (Gamers for Personal Hygiene) (<- Nodwick Dork Tower reference; link evading me)

:smallwink:

~PS

Shadow
2008-02-04, 01:43 AM
Oh, hey, meet-up stuff. Lookatthat. Yeah, I'll do my best to host if I'm in town. There's a possibility I'll be in Chicago, but that's not firm yet. :smallbiggrin:As I've already stated, I'm going to do my absolute best to be there, but in the off chance that I can't be, if you're stuck in Chi-town for the occasion PM me and we'll hook up here instead.

TheGreatJabu
2008-02-04, 03:41 AM
What kind? His is a '97 Red one. He thought the poor thing was going to die on him a couple months ago, but we got it back to...well, not new, but working. He was so sad thinking he might have to get a new car.

(And I'm totally pulling for Pontiac to bring out a new Firebird/Trans Am because of the new Camaro...)

I drive a white '95 with T-tops, AKA a white '95 with a leaky roof. :smallsmile: I love it, but I don't know how much longer it'll last me either. The passenger-side window has been burned out for a while, but apart from that it's groovy.

In the news of knowing whether or not I'm coming, I've made 0 progress. Sorry.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-02-04, 05:22 AM
Since I'll be looking for a new apt, I'm not sure what I can promise as far as hospitality goes. I'll find out tomorrow exactly what month my lease runs out on, but so far it all sounds very exciting.

Mountain_Faerie
2008-02-04, 11:14 AM
We are in almost the same position PS and BB are in, 1 bathroom and 1 toilet in the closet. :smallbiggrin: Literally.

We might need to have some people head over to the hotel for showers and such, since we will be limited on bathing spaces. We will be able to let you know how many we can sleep once we line up the kids' vacation.

Krade
2008-02-04, 11:28 AM
I am struck with a very serious dilemna(sp?). On the one hand, I can go to Tennessee and have a great time in June. On the other hand, I just found out yesterday that a very good friend of mine is literally throwing a festival in May that I would so VERY much like to attend in Key West, Fl. Planing is still in preliminary stages at the moment, but there are going to be a LOT of seriously awesome music performances from all over the East coast and even a couple from Canada. I want to go to this so bad! but if I go to this, it would be unlikely that I could then go to the meetup. AARRRGH!!!
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*ahem* sorry...

Trog
2008-02-04, 11:31 AM
*walks into thread wearing a stovepipe hat and a fake beard*

You know this "Trogland" thing is getting out of hand.

*Assembles notes on podium. Fishes a Coffin Nail brand cigarette out of a mithril cigarette case. Lights it. Shuffles papers some more and looks up*

That said Trog proudly presents the...
Trogland State of the Onion Address

Trog's fellow Troglandians... Four score and seven posts ago our... huh? *looks at mass of reporters in the front* Onion. *reads* "U-N-I-O-N" Onion. It's a fruit. They're like ogres too, Trog hears.

Anyways.

Um... Where was Trog? *shuffles papers furiously, discarding some here and there. Lighting at least one on fire with the smoldering tip of his cigarette.*

Um... Everything's fine down here thank you. How are you?

No, but seriously the onion is fine. It might make you cry sometimes. And it might be a little too bold for some to stomach. But on the whole Trogland's onion is in good hands, rest assured. Though we could use a bit more garlic so pick that up when you come home. And a gallon of milk too.

Thank you.

*SCATTERED APPLAUSE*

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-02-04, 11:38 AM
Okay...as excited as people are that I've shown interest, such a trip would involve something quite elusive in my life: money. It's quite the trip from AZ to TN, and I'm unsure how I would get there. Flying would probably be cheaper and faster than a bus ride, despite my dislike of gaining great distance from Mother Earth's embrace.

Then there's that whole lodging issue. I have yet to check with my brother to see how far he lives from Johnson City. There's also the expense of that whole "eating thing."

These are great hurdles to leap, folks, and I'm not sure what can be done about them. It would be a joyous kick to join a gathering, but I make around $700/month, so please don't get your hopes too high. :smallfrown:

Diva De
2008-02-04, 11:45 AM
OK, if Vael will be there, I'm SO coming! My hubby's b-day is the 27th, but he always complains we never do anything, so this is perfect!

Ego Slayer
2008-02-04, 11:56 AM
@Bor - Yeah, know all those things will be issues...
*looks around*
Where's Bring Bor to GitP Meetup donation bucket?
Wait! I don't have money either...:smalleek:
Gah.:smallsigh:

Mountain_Faerie
2008-02-04, 12:01 PM
Bor - Last year, we tried to do a lot of cooking. (This is the South, ya know) It is a lot easier to feed the masses that way than to try and take a huge group of people out to a restaurant. Those who could, chipped in on the food or picked up something at the store. If we do go out, I have a feeling we will end up someplace with sharable portions and plenty of tables for late night games and such. I wouldn't worry too much about the food.

I wondered if your brother is in the Tri-Cities?

AmberVael
2008-02-04, 12:01 PM
I'm studying the possibility to land on Gainsville on the 27th, pick up Vael and take a plane to Johnson City, TN.

I'll update about that happening or not closer to the meeting date.

I'm guessing I don't get a say in this. :smalltongue: But I wouldn't mind showing up. ^-^

OK, if Vael will be there, I'm SO coming! My hubby's b-day is the 27th, but he always complains we never do anything, so this is perfect!

:smallredface:
Didn't realize I was that popular.

SMEE
2008-02-04, 12:04 PM
I'm guessing I don't get a say in this. :smalltongue: But I wouldn't mind showing up. ^-^

No, you don't. :smalltongue:

Do you think I would make a trip to the US and not take you with me? it would be such a waste. :smallredface:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-02-04, 12:27 PM
Bor, could you help alleviate your financial difficulties by picking up Queen of Memnoch in Arkansas?? If you two split gas and driving duties that could save on gas costs and hotel costs. We can take care of lodging here as well as the food stuff as MF pointed out.

^ Listen to the lady with the handcuffs, Vael.

QueenOfMemnoch
2008-02-04, 12:35 PM
Bor, could you help alleviate your financial difficulties by picking up Queen of Memnoch in Arkansas?? If you two split gas and driving duties that could save on gas costs and hotel costs. We can take care of lodging here as well as the food stuff as MF pointed out.

Well, there's one problem with that; as if right now, I don't have a license, and have a horrible fear of driving, which I will have to get over before I can attempt to get my license.
However, everything else works out fine. If Bor can put up with me, I'd be willing to pay my share (or more,since I probably wouldn't be able to drive...)

AmberVael
2008-02-04, 12:50 PM
No, you don't. :smalltongue:

Do you think I would make a trip to the US and not take you with me? it would be such a waste. :smallredface:
^-^
Looks like we have a plan then. Or you have a plan and it involves stealing me away. Either way, sounds good.

:smallbiggrin:

TheGreatJabu
2008-02-04, 02:16 PM
If I end up attending, you don't have to worry about including me in the count of "how much space will we need?" I'd almost definitely get a hotel room (or an apartment if I get accepted at ETSU). If that were the case, there'd be a WHOLE 'nother group of chumps to help me unpack exciting place for visitors to stay at!

Oh, and in case I didn't say so earlier, I greatly applaud the "let's go rafting" idea that was proposed!

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-02-04, 04:47 PM
Bor, could you help alleviate your financial difficulties by picking up Queen of Memnoch in Arkansas?? If you two split gas and driving duties that could save on gas costs and hotel costs.

Ummm....Well, this shindig is still pretty far off. As of this moment, it looks like I'll be walking, so I can only hope QoM weighs less than a bag of cat litter. I mean, I get tired carrying that from the store that's only 5 minutes away. If I have to pick her up...Well, you see where this feeble joke is going. =P

(Odd...None of the clickable things like smilies, fonts, and such are working for me. My internetz must be broked.)

QueenOfMemnoch
2008-02-04, 05:31 PM
Ummm....Well, this shindig is still pretty far off. As of this moment, it looks like I'll be walking, so I can only hope QoM weighs less than a bag of cat litter. I mean, I get tired carrying that from the store that's only 5 minutes away. If I have to pick her up...Well, you see where this feeble joke is going. =P

(Odd...None of the clickable things like smilies, fonts, and such are working for me. My internetz must be broked.)
You know, that actually works out.
I just realized how uncomfortable my SO would be with it anyways >.<

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-02-04, 05:53 PM
Okay...No useful information nor solid commitment of any kind, but I spoke with my brother...and, as a result, I have taken Valium.

Meanwhile, what might ACTUALLY be of use is that he lives in Knoxville. Or near Knoxville. And as I type it repeatedly, "Knoxville" is sounding sillier with each passing moment.

Of course, as a result of our phone chat, I am seriously considering telling him that the whole "meeting people from this online thingamabob" was cancelled, and then make every effort to meet you guys without his ever knowing I left Phoenix. No joke, folks. I am seriously considering NEVER EVER calling family members again; just wait for them to ring me and answer when/if I'm properly medicated at that moment. :smallannoyed:

Oh...QoM...I honestly doubt I'm a threat to anyone's SO. I'm 40, disabled, and decidedly unwealthy. No one, and I mean NO ONE, is looking for this "prize." :smallfrown:

Shadow
2008-02-04, 06:02 PM
No one, and I mean NO ONE, is looking for this "prize." :smallfrown:If that were true we wouldn't be prodding you to come so much! :smallbiggrin:
*hug*

The Valiant Turtle
2008-02-04, 06:06 PM
*We Want Bor*
*We Want Bor*
*We Want Bor*

But we'll understand if you can't make it.

AmberVael
2008-02-04, 06:07 PM
We want more Bor!
:smallbiggrin:

QueenOfMemnoch
2008-02-04, 06:24 PM
Oh...QoM...I honestly doubt I'm a threat to anyone's SO. I'm 40, disabled, and decidedly unwealthy. No one, and I mean NO ONE, is looking for this "prize." :smallfrown:
But..you're BOR!
Even so, he's my SO. Its his job to go "...wait. So, you're going to TN with some forty-year-old man you don't even know...?"

2008-02-04, 11:53 PM
Dang, so many awesome-ites dedicated to coming. Now I feel obligated, just for solidarity's sake. :smallamused:

Just out of curiosity, beyond the Kubb-ness, what precisely does one do at a meetup?
Is there gaming? Tabletop, board, video, or otherwise?
Fire-side sing-alongs of a warbly nature (http://www.homestarrunner.com/tgs11.html)?
Licentious, no-holds barred orgiastic behavior to shame the most fervent proselyte of Bacchus?
Midnight hugging circles?
Nerd rage competitions, decided by means of apoplexy forfeit?
Freelance Australian-rules boffer dueling?
The battle of the bands so we can save old man Fernstein's youth center from villainous developer Tad Randyman?
Delta blues?
Sinister initiations into a secret society of secretive purpose? Ewige Blumenkraft?

Enlighten me. Clearly, I could use it.

Shadow
2008-02-04, 11:55 PM
I don't know about you, but I plan on starting a game of Strip Twister.

*right hand blue*

"DAMN IT INDY! You already lost! Get that OUT OF MY FACE!"

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-02-05, 12:01 AM
Dang, so many awesome-ites dedicated to coming. Now I feel obligated, just for solidarity's sake. :smallamused:

Just out of curiosity, beyond the Kubb-ness, what precisely does one do at a meetup?
LOTS
Is there gaming? Tabletop, board, video, or otherwise?
We have in the past done all of those. We introduced Zeb to Katamari the video game. We've played the OOTS board game and many others before, oh and Penguinsushi once ran a tabletop D&D on Saturday evening.

Fire-side sing-alongs of a warbly nature (http://www.homestarrunner.com/tgs11.html)?
Not yet, but with all the guitars we have....we could.

Licentious, no-holds barred orgiastic behavior to shame the most fervent proselyte of Bacchus?
Ummmm....not at any that I've been too, but it does remind me of a night in Chicago.
Midnight hugging circles?
Oh yeah.
Nerd rage competitions, decided by means of apoplexy forfeit?
Nerd competitions to be sure.

Freelance Australian-rules boffer dueling?
Those are banned in Tennessee.
The battle of the bands so we can save old man Fernstein's youth center from villainous developer Tad Randyman?
We saved it last year.
Delta blues?
We have Delta Burke.
Sinister initiations into a secret society of secretive purpose? Ewige Blumenkraft?
You mean the Order of The Kubb?

Enlighten me. Clearly, I could use it.
A man named Shiney should not need enlightenment.

my comments sparsed in above.

Penguinsushi
2008-02-05, 12:31 AM
A man named Shiney should not need enlightenment.

List.

Oh, and I'm willing to run a one-shot d&d game this year too if people want to play.

~PS

SMEE
2008-02-05, 05:44 AM
Well... I don't really know what comes onto those meet-ups.

My plans thus far involves much snuggling, kissing, dancing and holding hands. :smallredface:

Also, since there is a good chance that I'll be able to make it to this meeting, I have a few questions.

What kind of clothing I should take with me? Will it be quite hot around there by the end of june?
Anyone knows if FDA has a problem with me bringing a whole box of kinder chocolate from Brazil to the US?

Will there be hotels close to the meeting point?
And the airport, is it too far away?

Well, that's it for now, my friends.

Hugs,

Bea.

smellie_hippie
2008-02-05, 07:00 AM
SMEE:

The Tri-Cities airport is about 20 miles from meet-up central
Knoxville and Asheville are an hour and a half and an hour respectively.

Raldor posted the info on the Comfort Inn and Suites which is a 5 minute walk from meet-up central.

Weather in Johnson City in late June should be relatively warm. I'd feasibly expect the mid 80's and a fair amount of humidity. Any other weigh ins there folks?

Shiney:

There will be enough oddity involved with the weekend, that to give you a game plan would cause head-asplodey... and we're not willing to risk that without being first hand witnesses.

Bor:

Room and board will not be a concern if you can get here.

Everyone else:

See you soon!

Ego Slayer
2008-02-05, 11:50 AM
Anyone knows if FDA has a problem with me bringing a whole box of kinder chocolate from Brazil to the US?
No, doubt it. I've brought chocolate from Norway to the US, so I think you can manage too. :smalltongue:

SMEE
2008-02-05, 11:56 AM
No, doubt it. I've brought chocolate from Norway to the US, so I think you can manage too. :smalltongue:

Yes, yes. But did you bring 160 chocolate bars from Norway? :smalltongue:

That's about the amount I'll try to bring to the meet up... :smallwink:

2008-02-05, 11:59 AM
Awesome! :3

If anybody has any interest in one-shots of the following systems, lemme know; I've either got the hardcover, or the PDF in some mobile form.

Mutants and Masterminds 2e
Shadowrun 4e
Dark Heresy
Exalted 2e
World of Darkness
Scion: Hero
Minimus (the one-page roleplaying game)
Feng Shui
Call of Cthulhu
Spirit of The Century
Cthulhutech
D&D 3.5, of course.

And I've actually got the sequel to Katamari Damacy, assuming you're playing the original. :3

I'm...now excited at the prospect of this.

Penguinsushi
2008-02-05, 12:14 PM
Awesome! :3

If anybody has any interest in one-shots of the following systems, lemme know; I've either got the hardcover, or the PDF in some mobile form.

Mutants and Masterminds 2e
Shadowrun 4e
Dark Heresy
Exalted 2e
World of Darkness
Scion: Hero
Minimus (the one-page roleplaying game)
Feng Shui
Call of Cthulhu
Spirit of The Century
Cthulhutech
D&D 3.5, of course.

And I've actually got the sequel to Katamari Damacy, assuming you're playing the original. :3

I'm...now excited at the prospect of this.

I've played a little 2e exalted in hippie's game, and i'm willing to play or run a d&d 1 shot if enough other people want to make time for it.

I think llama actually has the first and second katamari games...

Glad you're excited about coming out. If half the people who are trying to come, it will be epic indeed...

~PS

2008-02-05, 12:15 PM
Awesome! :o!

Alarra
2008-02-05, 12:35 PM
Ooooh exalted. I haven't played that in years. (Which would admittedly mean none of my books are 2e :smallbiggrin: ) But I love that system/setting.

RTGoodman
2008-02-05, 12:57 PM
D&D 3.5, of course.

Pssh, 3.5? Everyone knows that all the cool kids will be playing 4E by then. (It comes out second week of June, right?) :smalltongue:

2008-02-05, 12:58 PM
Pssh, 3.5? Everyone knows that all the cool kids will be playing 4E by then. (It comes out second week of June, right?) :smalltongue:
I'm going to need to see your vital organs, sir. Please remove them and place them in this tray, where they will be examined for signs of vile heresy.

We should be back to you with the results in three to five days.

Shadow
2008-02-05, 01:02 PM
Let's play 2nd Ed instead.
2nd Ed was way cooler! THAC0s!

Penguinsushi
2008-02-05, 01:06 PM
I'm going to need to see your vital organs, sir. Please remove them and place them in this tray, where they will be examined for signs of vile heresy.

We should be back to you with the results in three to five days.

Well said, Shiny.

I'll not be "converting" to the "new" system either. Not for a long time, and only then if it *really* impresses me. So far, what i've seen hasn't. And the whole 'lets use computers for table-top gaming' annoys me...but that's a rant for another time/place/forum

@ Shadow ^: ugh. Thac0. I like my gaming systems to be devoid of calculus, thanks.

~PS

2008-02-05, 01:27 PM
Ooooh exalted. I haven't played that in years. (Which would admittedly mean none of my books are 2e :smallbiggrin: ) But I love that system/setting.

That's one vote for Exalted.

Any other input on potential systems? >.>;

Shadow
2008-02-05, 01:32 PM
You can put me down for WoD.
The question is, which one?
Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Wraith (please say no to that), Mummy (no), Changeling, Hunter, yadda yadda yadda. Or is there a universal WoD that I've never played?

Bardic Bunny
2008-02-05, 01:37 PM
You mean the Order of The Kubb?

Why am I not a member of the Order? :smallfrown: Is it because last year at the meet-up I wasn't on the board...that I was just a 'tag-a-long spouse' and just had to go by my own name without a nifty name tag with my avatar on it?...
The Bunny is displeased...

To Penguinsushi: Does your reason for not going to 4.0 also have something to do with your wife not 'letting' (i.e. highly encouraging you against this course of action) you by all new books to replace your D&D library? ('cause this is true too! :smallbiggrin: )

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-02-05, 01:43 PM
Well, folks...I'm having a moral crisis here. This may take some explaining, so forgive my rambling.

I have been on a limited income since Feb. 2000, which actually went from a SEVERELY limited income to one that's merely limited in Aug. 2003. On rare occasion, I spend my money on something I want. I may buy a DVD. I might go to the movies. Heck...buying canned food for Nike is sometimes a treat for me, as she goes beserk for the stuff, and I like making my kitty happy. Otherwise, I chase my needs. I need food. I need to pay bills. I need clothes, and even clothes are a rare purchase.

This trip to meet GitPers is distinctly qualified as a "want." Mind you, it's a BIG want. The ego stroke I've received over saying I MIGHT come is enough to give my psyche a...(Y'know, I'm gonna stop that joke there. Kids read these forums. :smallwink: ) Not to mention the fact that it's a vacation that might actually BE a vacation. By "vacation," I mean going somewhere to have fun with fun people, not going to FL to see my Dad, who will not only start the Jewish guilt trip an hour into my visit, but will also put me to work packing.

Alas, that latter bit is a need. Dad will be 77 in March. The years are running short on his life, and I am obligated to see him. (Honor thy father, and all that silliness.)

So here I am, trying to justify this would-be vacation, and I'm failing miserably. Even if people started throwing money at me, (which, I should add, is never a bad idea), I would do silly things like pay off some bills that have been pertetually behind, buy quality food instead of the generic stuff (all of which seems to taste the same, no matter what it is), and get clothes.

As the war rages in my mind, I will not give up the fight just yet on the idea joining you folks. Still, I thought I should warn/brace you folks for the time when/if the fight is lost, and I simply post that I can't make it. :smallfrown:

2008-02-05, 01:45 PM
You can put me down for WoD.
The question is, which one?
Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Wraith (please say no to that), Mummy (no), Changeling, Hunter, yadda yadda yadda. Or is there a universal WoD that I've never played?
Yes; there's a 'World of Darkness' core rulebook that deals with people sucked into a world of, y'know...darkness. Apparently it doesn't have much of a following due to the lack of hella powers.

I've also got Vampire, and I could probably get hold of Changeling or Mage without undue trouble.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-02-05, 01:56 PM
Yes, I do have both Katamari's. Thanks again to my good friend Tim who has fed my rolling addiction.

That is all for now. GO TEAM!!!

Penguinsushi
2008-02-05, 02:11 PM
Why am I not a member of the Order? :smallfrown: Is it because last year at the meet-up I wasn't on the board...that I was just a 'tag-a-long spouse' and just had to go by my own name without a nifty name tag with my avatar on it?...
The Bunny is displeased...

I'm pretty sure you *are* a member. You've played kubb at a gitp meetup. I think that was the sole criterion.

To Penguinsushi: Does your reason for not going to 4.0 also have something to do with your wife not 'letting' (i.e. highly encouraging you against this course of action) you by all new books to replace your D&D library? ('cause this is true too! :smallbiggrin: )

Yes, yes it does. :smallwink:

Heh. But seriously, if I thought it was actually going to be better, i'd at least *want* to make the switch. As yet, they've failed to show me it's going to be more than just repackaging/remarketing. I guess we'll see when it arrives.

@ Bor ^: Yeah, I understand. Tis a shame though. We'll hope you find some what to make it work. If not, we'll hold out for another time.

~PS

2008-02-05, 02:13 PM
I actually like the 4e mechanics, what I've seen so far.

I just hate every single thing they've said that wasn't mechanics. And I loathe their omissions, and many of the things they've chosen to include.

It's sad that they've managed to reach a destination I dislike via a path I agree with.

Alarra
2008-02-05, 04:48 PM
Yes; there's a 'World of Darkness' core rulebook that deals with people sucked into a world of, y'know...darkness. Apparently it doesn't have much of a following due to the lack of hella powers.

I've also got Vampire, and I could probably get hold of Changeling or Mage without undue trouble.

I have Mage.

Syka
2008-02-05, 04:59 PM
My vote is for an Exalted or WoD game. I've made characters for both systems (I'm pretty sure...) but the games never got rolling. :(

Ok, I've gotta ask, but no one here happens to have a copy of the Serenity rule book? I have to ask...I'm a total Browncoat. :smalltongue:

Cheers,
Syka

Zeb The Troll
2008-02-05, 05:18 PM
There's a Serenity RPG? Huh.

Who knew (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=2962&it=1&affiliate_id=65127)?

TheGreatJabu
2008-02-05, 05:24 PM
Shoooo. I have...

The New Vamp. New WoD. D&D 3.5 (all manner). Spycraft 2.0. Star Wars RCR. SW Saga. MechWarrior 3rd ed. Mekton Zeta. Aaand a crap-ton of BattleTech stuff.

But also, a desire to go rafting. :smallbiggrin:

Syka
2008-02-05, 05:33 PM

Who knew (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=2962&it=1&affiliate_id=65127)?

Yup. :) I've been thinking about investing in it, except I've got my 7 D&D books that never get used because I don't have the time and can't find a gaming group. :( And, though it's tempting because of my Barnes and Noble gift cards...I have other books I intend to get.

Oh well, it'll be perpetually on my gift list in any event until I finally get it. ;)

Cheers,
Syka

Alarra
2008-02-05, 05:43 PM

You ought have....I swear I must have pointed it out to you at gencon. Although, not having seen firefly yet, you were probably less than enthused. That being said, it's actually a relatively neat system. I looked through it and considered getting it back in 05. I don't have it though.

I do however have game of thrones, iron kingdoms and nobilis. Have any of you played Nobilis? Now that would be a fun game to do with playgrounders I think.

Also....reaches to back of mind....am I mistaken in recalling that you JC people's were the ones running an IK game?

The Valiant Turtle
2008-02-05, 06:09 PM
Soooo many things that we could do, and not enough time for them all...

I must say that Hippie's Exalted game is one of the best games I've ever had the pleasure of playing in. Maybe he could arrange for a sudden influx of additional people for a session...

I almost forgot, that's where the name Raldor originated. I think I was told that something rather gruesome happened to him. I guess I'd have to try to make a turtle based Lunar then.

I am still hoping for some Rock Band too.

Shraik
2008-02-05, 06:12 PM

I played it once, not bad. Except someone played a very stange German nurse name Helga or something, kind of scary

Penguinsushi
2008-02-05, 08:12 PM
I do however have game of thrones, iron kingdoms and nobilis. Have any of you played Nobilis? Now that would be a fun game to do with playgrounders I think.

Also....reaches to back of mind....am I mistaken in recalling that you JC people's were the ones running an IK game?

Haven't played Nobilis. Or heard of it. But i'm always up for new stuff. Still, as Raldor points out, there's not enough time to do *all* of the things we'd like...

The ArchivesNinja is in an Iron Kingdoms game with some other locals - but i'm not sure any of them are on this forum... ...that's the only one I know about...

On a related note, the AN says there's a good chance she'll have some conflict with the proposed date. Maybe that she won't make it; maybe that she'll only be around a little. I'm sure she'll keep us posted.

~PS

ForzaFiori
2008-02-05, 08:27 PM
I am still hoping for some Rock Band too.

on the off chance i manage to come i'll bring my 360 and rockband. If someone can supply a second guitar controller it'll be even better.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2008-02-05, 08:30 PM
Huh. How did this slip past me? I'll try to make it for at least part of the weekend, if not the whole shindig. That is, of course, assuming I'm not already promised to be somewhere else that weekend...

ArchivesNinja
2008-02-05, 08:55 PM

Yes, there's a small group playing Iron Kingdoms, though the GM and most of the players aren't forums-members. (Fans of the comic, but not on the forums.) I personally own only the player's guide for this setting. Sorry. :smallfrown: (Though the GM might be up for a gamer-fest like this...)

I also own the sourcebook for a system called Witch Hunter: The Invisible World, which no one has mentioned. It's a simple system set in an alternate 1700s. Though we might want to stick with something a lot of people are familiar with.

Still working on whether or not I'll be around, too. :smalleek:

Mountain_Faerie
2008-02-05, 09:09 PM
AN - I'm really, really hoping you will be here. I mean, what will a meet-up be without our own resident ArchivesNinja around?:smallfrown:

Alarra
2008-02-05, 09:21 PM
on the off chance i manage to come i'll bring my 360 and rockband. If someone can supply a second guitar controller it'll be even better.

We can probably handle that. We tend to bring rockband to meetups. Although, there was discussion of riding down there, so....that might make dragging rockband more difficult.

And yay! El J! *hugs*

And :smallfrown: I hope you can make it Ginger.

smellie_hippie
2008-02-05, 09:38 PM
With all the table games, card games, video games, and outdoor games floating around here... we should be able to keep ourselves busy for days! :smallbiggrin:

This might turn into an 'extended weekend'... which I have no problems with. :smallamused:

Oh, and as for role-playing games... I can do a really quick Cthulu game.

You walk into a large warehouse.
You see the Greater God Nyrolethotep.
You go insane.
You die.

I hope everyone can make it. With the advance planning and the coordination starting to come together, we should be able to handle almost any unforseen complications.

p.s. Oh, and thanks Raldor for the kind words on the Exalted game. No, you're not dead.

2008-02-05, 09:56 PM
I'd vote for Nobilis.... it's an amazing system that nobody likes, at least, until now, when apparently somebody likes it. I've never been able to find a copy.

Witch Hunter is alright, but nothing special, far as I'm concerned.

If Exalted; 1e, or 2e?
I mostly have the books for 2e, but 1e has my personal favorites, the Alchemicals, soooo.

AmberVael
2008-02-05, 10:03 PM
Hmmm... rafting... now that sounds like fun. :smallsmile:
Now where did I go rafting last...

Alarra
2008-02-05, 10:13 PM
I'd vote for Nobilis.... it's an amazing system that nobody likes, at least, until now, when apparently somebody likes it. I've never been able to find a copy.

Oooh, you should look harder. It's a stunning book.

Zaragon
2008-02-05, 10:44 PM
I'm in, assuming y'all haven't decided to give me the cold shoulder from being nonexistent on the boards since I was up last year.

(mutters) Stupid hourly contracting job... stupid 13 hour days (mutters)

OTOH, I do work in Columbia these days, which should be less annoying to get to Johnson City from than Rock Hill.

(edit)

As far as games go, I have nWoD (core, plus vampire, werewolf, and mage), and 3.5 D&D.

Midnight Son
2008-02-06, 12:22 AM
I just requested the 27th and the 30th off work. If I get them, I can come out the evening of the 26th or morning of the 27th. Hmmm...Maybe I need to get the 26th off too? Either way, I am now a probable show for this one.

smellie_hippie
2008-02-06, 06:42 AM
Yay Midnight Son!

Yay Zaragon!! (No you don't get the cold shoulder)

*crosses fingers for ArchivesNinja*

Midnight Son
2008-02-06, 09:10 PM
And now I am confirmed. Expect me there. Just need a plane ticket anda hotel res anda rental car...

ArchivesNinja
2008-02-06, 09:26 PM
AN - I'm really, really hoping you will be here. I mean, what will a meet-up be without our own resident ArchivesNinja around?:smallfrown:

Aw, thanks guys. :smallredface:

Ok, here's the deal. Plans for Chicago aren't in stone, so I'll make mom work around me for once. The Montreat Music Conference is the week leading up to the meet-up. As I told the llama, if I get to go to the conference I'll be back in town by late Friday night for the meet-up. If I *don't* get to go to the conference I'll be sad and moody and in need of epic meet-up sized fun to get me out of it. Either way, unless something uber bad happens, I'm in! :smallcool:

Edit @ Zeb and Zaragon: It's like a class reunion! Only fun and without the teenage emotional baggage! :smallwink:

Zeb The Troll
2008-02-06, 09:51 PM
@^ - Yay!

@^^ - Woohooo!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/wolfshonor/gifs/hoggoblins-smb.gif

Penguinsushi
2008-02-07, 12:59 AM
...unless something uber bad happens, I'm in! :smallcool:

Fantastic. This is shaping up pretty good so far. Hopefully it stays that way for the next few months.

~PS

SMEE
2008-02-07, 07:07 AM
Rafting sounds fun... Cold water being splattered all over my body... :smallredface:

Anyway, I'll be checking with travel agencies here my options as I'm about 4700 miles south from the meeting point.

It might be hard to schedule a flight with a connection in Gainsville, but I'll be sending Amber the plane tickets so we can meet in the Tri cities airport if I can't get to stop at Gainsville.

It seems that I'll have lots of logistics to plan (and several hours of waiting in airports), but I'm quite sure it'll be well worth it and we'll make the most of those 2 days I'll be there. :smallbiggrin:

So, unless something really unexpected happens at work, I'll be there to see you all.

QueenOfMemnoch
2008-02-07, 08:38 AM
Right, so, I'm looking for a bus route I can possibly get on...
According to GoogleMaps its about a thirteen hour drive, and I can certainly amuse myself long enough...

Hmmm...::goes off to look::

Syka
2008-02-07, 01:00 PM
Right, so, I'm looking for a bus route I can possibly get on...
According to GoogleMaps its about a thirteen hour drive, and I can certainly amuse myself long enough...

Hmmm...::goes off to look::

My advice- look for plane tickets. Trust me, they are usually equivalent in price and much better than the bus. I was on the bus for around 24 hours once (Florida to Texas) and...it was not fun. I can handle the three hour trip home, but I would not do more than that. Not too mention, as I said, prices are usually comparable.

Cheers,
Syka

The Valiant Turtle
2008-02-07, 06:44 PM
In my experience the only time a bus seriously competes with a plane on price is if you're only going one-way, which airlines don't like.

On the other hand, if you're traveling when it's not busy (not on the weekend) a bus can be a relatively relaxing ride with lots more room than a plane. If you've got some books to read, it's a great opportunity. The layovers aren't terribly much fun though... lets just say that station quality may vary and leave it at that.

Krade
2008-02-07, 07:26 PM
Don't even get me started on station quality variance. There are two that I've been to that are tied for the worst in different ways. 1) Atlanta. EVERY time I've been through the Atlanta station it has been filled with more people than it can comfortably seat. Coupled with no arcade (which should be mandatory) and almost always long layovers, it is definitely among the worst. 2) Miami West. The one upside to the Miami West station is that unless you are going down the Florida Keys, you probably aren't going there. On the other hand, it is small, usually crowded, no games, nowhere near anything interesting, and usually more than 2 or 3 hours of layover. I'll be there for 2 hours in a few days (a relatively short time, on my way here I would've been there for about 6 hours were it not for a friend willing to make the 3 hour drive to pick us up).

All that said, the major stations throughout Tennessee and Kentucky that I've been through are all relatively good and usually don't have much more than an hour layover.

It's also cheaper if you don't travel on weekends or important holidays (though I'm pretty sure airlines are the same way).

ArchivesNinja
2008-02-07, 08:10 PM
In my experience the only time a bus seriously competes with a plane on price is if you're only going one-way, which airlines don't like...

It should probably be noted that it can get expensive to fly into TRI because it's just a small regional airport. Moral of the story being, explore all your options and book well ahead of time before prices inflate on you. If you're coming from Florida, Allegiant has really cheap non-stops from Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale. It might be an option for some to fly to one of those big hubs and catch an Allegiant flight?

Syka
2008-02-07, 08:49 PM
It should probably be noted that it can get expensive to fly into TRI because it's just a small regional airport. Moral of the story being, explore all your options and book well ahead of time before prices inflate on you. If you're coming from Florida, Allegiant has really cheap non-stops from Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale. It might be an option for some to fly to one of those big hubs and catch an Allegiant flight?

Oh, I'm not flying. If I come, my boy and I are driving up to camp.

I was just telling Queen that buses are...less than pleasant for long trips. And, heck, they even lost our luggage like they do on airlines. ;) All the while we paid equivalent (or more than) what we would have for a plane which would have been about 22 hours less.

CHeers,
Syka

2008-02-07, 10:19 PM
I'll be driving.

In a car.

Zaragon
2008-02-07, 10:56 PM
It should probably be noted that it can get expensive to fly into TRI because it's just a small regional airport.

I'm more than willing to provide "Shuttle Service" if anyone wants to fly into Columbia SC or Charlotte NC. :smallsmile: Plus, my wagon gets 45-ish mpg. Flying into Charlotte may be cheaper as it's a pretty decent sized airport.

(Thanks everyone--didn't think y'all would give me the cold shoulder, but better safe than sorry :smalltongue: )

QueenOfMemnoch
2008-02-07, 11:19 PM
My advice- look for plane tickets. Trust me, they are usually equivalent in price and much better than the bus. I was on the bus for around 24 hours once (Florida to Texas) and...it was not fun. I can handle the three hour trip home, but I would not do more than that. Not too mention, as I said, prices are usually comparable.

Cheers,
Syka

Thing is, I feel like its too close to justify buying plane tickets.
I live in Fayetteville, Arkansas. If I weren't afraid of driving, and was therefore capable of getting my license, I would drive. Unfortunately, that isn't possible at the moment.

=/

Syka
2008-02-07, 11:28 PM
I live in Fayetteville, Arkansas. If I weren't afraid of driving, and was therefore capable of getting my license, I would drive. Unfortunately, that isn't possible at the moment.

=/

I know it seems weird but, if the tickets are priced similarly (or less), take the plane over bus. You can always take Zaragon's suggestion of flying into a larger airport.

This is coming from someone who has ridden Greyhound for long distances and talked with others who have done the same thing. *twitch* Not too mention the bus drivers tend to be rude as all get out. But buses are...unpleasant at best.

Cheers,
Syka

LightWraith
2008-02-08, 12:01 AM

=/

Well I'm a good deal closer than you, and I'll still probably spring for plane tickets. It would just be easier for me logistically, since I don't actually own a functioning car.

Maybe if I was feeling especially masochistic, I'd bike out there. I don't quite have the physical conditioning yet to make that trip though.

*shrug* I'll think of something.

Midnight Son
2008-02-08, 12:12 AM
Okay, so peeples are saying it may be cheaper to catch a flight to a bigger airport in the area. What is the closest large city to the meet-up?

Alarra
2008-02-08, 12:20 AM
You could fly here and catch a ride with us.....Not that we're anywhere remotely near the meetup or anything. :smalltongue:

@v hehehehe....but it's warm and cozy in here...
Well, at least we now know the idea of riding with us is cool with both of us. :smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2008-02-08, 12:25 AM
I doubt it's the closest, but BWI is minutes from me and if you're coming in on the 26th or early on the 27th, you'd be more than welcome to ride down with us (we've decided against motorcycling down this year). I drive a Golf, but it's deceptively large so we can accomodate you. (My brother is 6'3" and doesn't need to have the seat all the way back to drive and does not bump his head on my roof.)

EDIT: @Alarra - Get outta my head! :smallcool:

Shadow
2008-02-08, 12:44 AM
^ and ^^:
If no one else takes you up on that offer, I may. That'd give us a chance to hang out a bit solo.
But if anyone else does, I don't want to impose.

smellie_hippie
2008-02-08, 08:48 AM
Okay, so peeples are saying it may be cheaper to catch a flight to a bigger airport in the area. What is the closest large city to the meet-up?

Nearest two larger airports are Knoxville TN and Asheville NC.
Knoxville being larger, but 35 minutes farther away.

Mountain_Faerie
2008-02-08, 09:12 AM
There is a good possibility I will be in Asheville right before the Meet-Up. I can fit 3-4 in my car (depending on whether or not I have Hippie with me).

Trog
2008-02-08, 09:16 AM
Dang it. I wanna hang at the hippie hut too. Darn thousands of miles in between. *shakes fist*

Krade
2008-02-08, 11:19 AM
Don't worry Trog, we'll take lots'o'pictures so you can live vicariously through us or some other such nonsense... hmm... I'm not really helping am I?

Trog
2008-02-08, 12:09 PM
Not really. Unless Trog goes down to -11. Then Trog will use that "No wait! Trog's still living vicariously through posted meetup pictures" excuse.

Shadow
2008-02-08, 12:11 PM
Trog should make the time to come.
The elusive Shadow will even be making a cameo.

Penguinsushi
2008-02-08, 12:45 PM
Dang it. I wanna hang at the hippie hut too. Darn thousands of miles in between. *shakes fist*

Wait - did he just post *not* in the third person!?

~PS

Trog
2008-02-08, 01:05 PM
Lies! You saw nothing! :smalltongue:

smellie_hippie
2008-02-08, 05:27 PM
Wait - did he just post *not* in the third person!?

~PS

No, the text was in black. That not Trog. That someone sitting at Trog's computer. Like talk-show temp job. *wink at Zeb*

Pwenet
2008-02-08, 05:44 PM
There is a good possibility I will be in Asheville right before the Meet-Up. I can fit 3-4 in my car (depending on whether or not I have Hippie with me).

A quick check reveals that flying into Asheville will knock at least $100 off the plane ticket vs. flying into Tri-Cities, and flying into Knoxville is $200 cheaper than flying into Tri-Cities.

How about this: Those playgrounders that live near a major airport within driving distance of the meetup who are not scared to pick up a few strangersfriends and drive them to the meetup?

Another thought is that we all who want to fly pick a airport that would give the cheapest flight, and we all chip in on a rental car (as long as the main person who rents it is 25+, it should be a okay rate).

smellie_hippie
2008-02-08, 07:12 PM
Pwenet, you are my hero.

ForzaFiori
2008-02-08, 07:50 PM
I'm more than willing to provide "Shuttle Service" if anyone wants to fly into Columbia SC or Charlotte NC. :smallsmile: Plus, my wagon gets 45-ish mpg. Flying into Charlotte may be cheaper as it's a pretty decent sized airport.

(Thanks everyone--didn't think y'all would give me the cold shoulder, but better safe than sorry :smalltongue: )

plan on coming through the upstate on your way there?

SirGhandi
2008-02-08, 10:07 PM
Count me among the interested. That last weekend of June sounds great. I'd probably end up getting a hotel, but I'd also be curious to find out about some state parks in the area.

Krade
2008-02-09, 11:59 PM
So I just pulled a little bit o' info on prices for me to get from Indy to JC. A roundtrip Greyhound ticket would cost 110 dollars. Not bad and it also takes me directly to the city I want to go to, so added bonus for not needing to get a ride for at least 87(?) miles (not counting TRI because it was like $200 more expensive than others), only the distance between the station and meet-up central. I looked on Expedia and Travelocity and the cheapest tickets I could get for any of the three airports within 100 miles was well over twice the price of Greyhound.

Short version: If I can't get a ride or drive myself by the time of the meet-up, I will be taking the bus. No question about that.

Addendum: I just reconfigured the bus schedule a bit so the trip begins on Thursday and I got $90. That makes it 1/3 the price of the cheapest plane tickets I could find. So yeah, BUS.

ArchivesNinja
2008-02-11, 06:19 PM
Hey, Zeb, can we get an updated guest-host list on page 1 please? I've totally lost track.

Shadow
2008-02-11, 06:24 PM
Zeb already knows, but I'm coming too.
I said maybe before, because I had to decide between a coupe of different things, but I'm in.

*blows dust off of conga*

*cough cough*

Alarra
2008-02-11, 06:45 PM
Hey, Zeb, can we get an updated guest-host list on page 1 please? I've totally lost track.

Um....but....the list in the first post is updated, and err...has been on a near daily basis...

ArchivesNinja
2008-02-11, 08:36 PM
Um....but....the list in the first post is updated, and err...has been on a near daily basis...

??? I'm still listed as an "unsure"? Sorry. :smalleek:

Zaragon
2008-02-11, 09:19 PM
Wow, lot of activity in here, and I was only gone for a weekend!!!

My route from Columbia to JC, TN takes me right through Asheville, NC--so that's also a reasonable pickup point. As I would most likely be leaving from work, which is in Columbia, I'd far rather pick up in Asheville than Charlotte. I only mentioned Charlotte because I live about 20 minutes from the airport.

As I said earlier, I'm more than willing to pick people up along the way. I'd just need to know prior to the meetup if I'm picking anyone up, and if so, where.

Someone asked (my apologies, I can't remember who) if I was coming through upstate... I can go via Greenville SC, if there's someone there I need to pick up--though that is a few miles out of the way. Otherwise it is Columbia to Spartanburg to Asheville NC to JC TN. If you want to see the route I'd be taking, just punch "Columbia, SC to Johnson City, TN" in Google Maps.

Oh, and not that I mind Asheville at all... but having lived in DC, then near Pittsburgh, and now near Charlotte... y'all have a different definition of "large" airport than I do :smallbiggrin:

Alarra
2008-02-11, 09:26 PM
??? I'm still listed as an "unsure"? Sorry. :smalleek:

You're still listed as unsure as to whether you're willing to host people....cause you never actually said.

ForzaFiori
2008-02-11, 09:32 PM
Wow, lot of activity in here, and I was only gone for a weekend!!!

My route from Columbia to JC, TN takes me right through Asheville, NC--so that's also a reasonable pickup point. As I would most likely be leaving from work, which is in Columbia, I'd far rather pick up in Asheville than Charlotte. I only mentioned Charlotte because I live about 20 minutes from the airport.

As I said earlier, I'm more than willing to pick people up along the way. I'd just need to know prior to the meetup if I'm picking anyone up, and if so, where.

Someone asked (my apologies, I can't remember who) if I was coming through upstate... I can go via Greenville SC, if there's someone there I need to pick up--though that is a few miles out of the way. Otherwise it is Columbia to Spartanburg to Asheville NC to JC TN. If you want to see the route I'd be taking, just punch "Columbia, SC to Johnson City, TN" in Google Maps.

Oh, and not that I mind Asheville at all... but having lived in DC, then near Pittsburgh, and now near Charlotte... y'all have a different definition of "large" airport than I do :smallbiggrin:

i was the one asking about the upstate. If you have the room, i can get to greenville. Still gotta clear it all by my mom, and it'll probably ride on my grades this year, so i'm not gonna be certain if i need a ride or not until...well, like late august or june.

Alarra
2008-02-11, 09:37 PM
, so i'm not gonna be certain if i need a ride or not until...well, like late august or june.

But if you wait til August, you'll have missed it. :smalltongue:

Zeb The Troll
2008-02-11, 09:42 PM
i was the one asking about the upstate. If you have the room, i can get to greenville. Still gotta clear it all by my mom, and it'll probably ride on my grades this year, so i'm not gonna be certain if i need a ride or not until...well, like late august or june.Ummm, August? Cuz that's a month after the meetup. Late June IS the meetup. Hope you can figure it out and get it cleared up before then. We'd love to see ya!

ForzaFiori
2008-02-11, 09:43 PM
Ummm, August? Cuz that's a month after the meetup. Late June IS the meetup. Hope you can figure it out and get it cleared up before then. We'd love to see ya!

May, my bad. not August. Late May or early june. not sure when school gets out.

Zeb The Troll
2008-02-11, 09:46 PM
May, my bad. not August. Late May or early june. not sure when school gets out.Ahh, that's much better then. :smallcool:

ArchivesNinja
2008-02-11, 09:48 PM
You're still listed as unsure as to whether you're willing to host people....cause you never actually said.

:smallredface: I'm a dope. I can host 2-3 if someone brings an air mattress and two compose some sort of couple. (The futon is full-sized.) Also, I have cats in case allergies are involved.

Mountain_Faerie
2008-02-12, 07:59 AM
We have a cat, rabbit and guinea pig - all indoors. I'm planning on moving the rabbit outside this spring, if we can get her set up comfortably. That should give us a double bed, 1/2 a bunk bed (pending the rabbit's new condo outside), a sofa and a little floor space.

Zeb The Troll
2008-02-12, 09:00 AM
We have a cat, rabbit and guinea pig - all indoors. I'm planning on moving the rabbit outside this spring, if we can get her set up comfortably. That should give us a double bed, 1/2 a bunk bed (pending the rabbit's new condo outside), a sofa and a little floor space.*does some head maths*

That's -- lessee -- carry the 1 -- divide by zero -- looks like about 27 people. :smallbiggrin:

Mountain_Faerie
2008-02-12, 09:02 AM
28 if someone doesn't mind hanging like a bat in the water closet... :smallwink:

Shadow
2008-02-12, 02:44 PM
28 if someone doesn't mind hanging like a bat in the water closet... :smallwink:Pick me! Pick me!

TheGreatJabu
2008-02-18, 02:44 PM
:smallredface: I'm a dope. I can host 2-3 if someone brings an air mattress and two compose some sort of couple. (The futon is full-sized.)

Although I'm a legendary spooner, I still plan on getting my own hotel room. I sure wish I could get moved up to that ultra-cool, prestigious "Definitely Attending" list, but I honestly won't know for another 2-4 weeks.

TheGreatJabu
2008-02-19, 08:33 PM
Whoa ho ho! Sorry for the double-post, but I have a noteworthy update! ETSU called me, wanting me to interview for their PhD program, so I'll be visiting Johnson City soon! I'll be there on March 9th and 10th (Sunday and Monday). This makes the odds of me attending the meet-up MUCH greater!

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2008-02-19, 08:45 PM
Whoa ho ho! Sorry for the double-post, but I have a noteworthy update! ETSU called me, wanting me to interview for their PhD program, so I'll be visiting Johnson City soon! I'll be there on March 9th and 10th (Sunday and Monday). This makes the odds of me attending the meet-up MUCH greater!

Congrats on the interview!

Shadow
2008-02-19, 09:49 PM
*nudges El J*
Don't forget Good Luck....

And Good Luck Jabu!

Mountain_Faerie
2008-02-19, 10:25 PM
Hey Jabu. That is so exciting! We're wondering what program you are applying for. Hippie and I both went to ETSU, so we know some of the faculty.

Also, if you are going to be in town in a few weeks, maybe we should try for a Monday night game of cards. Anyone want to play on the 10th?

Diva De
2008-02-20, 01:15 PM
OK, things are looking better for me.

My hubby is open to A) a trip, B) a fan meeting, and C) doing something new and different for his b-day. So I may be attending after all. W00t! Anyone wanna host a married couple that showers regularly and PROMISES not to do dirty things in your home?

Oh, I vote DnD 3.5 all the way. Played Shadowrun briefly (like, 2 sessions), and enjoyed it, but I'm a DnD geek all the way.

And what is this Kubb of which you speak? *raises eyebrow*

TheGreatJabu
2008-02-20, 01:42 PM
Oh, wow. Thanks for all the good-lucks and congratulations, everybody! I was just saying that so the Johnson City-dwellers would know that I was going to be heading up that way; hadn't really expected anyone else to take note. :smallsmile:

I'm applying for the PhD in clinical psychology, Faerie. Thus far the only faculty I've spoken with is a Dr. Cantrell, but that'll probably change on that Monday!

...now when you say 'game of cards', are we talking things like Magic, or do I need to bring plenty of small bills? :smallcool:

smellie_hippie
2008-02-20, 02:05 PM
Oh, wow. Thanks for all the good-lucks and congratulations, everybody! I was just saying that so the Johnson City-dwellers would know that I was going to be heading up that way; hadn't really expected anyone else to take note. :smallsmile:

I'm applying for the PhD in clinical psychology, Faerie. Thus far the only faculty I've spoken with is a Dr. Cantrell, but that'll probably change on that Monday!

...now when you say 'game of cards', are we talking things like Magic, or do I need to bring plenty of small bills? :smallcool:

Jabu... I'll check and see who is on that faculty that I might now. It always helps to have an inside friend...

Game of cards would be Munchkin, Killer Bunnies, Ninja Burger or Grave Robbers from Outer Space. Don't worry about the Magic deck, we'll get you straightened out.

DivaDe, as the attendees get more finalized we'll all work on figuring out some hosting space. Kubb is a wonderful game of throw the stick at the stick, and chase it shortly thereafter. :smallamused: It's all right here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubb)

TheGreatJabu
2008-02-20, 06:30 PM
Mwa ha! Munchkin! Now that I approve of! I never was particularly big into Magic, but I thought you were referring to poker or blackjack (thus my comment about bringing lots of small bills). And although I appreciate the "hook-up" when it comes to the faculty, don't worry about it. Call me old fashioned (or obsolete), but I'd rather get in OR be rejected based simply on my own merits - not because I know a guy who knows a guy. It was pretty cool of you to offer, though!

ForzaFiori
2008-02-20, 07:19 PM
with the mention off all these new games i haven't played (pretty much all i recognize and have played are DnD and Magic), i'm gonna just about HAVE to come, lol. But, sadly, i have to get my math grade up to do that, and that will be hard.

Midnight Son
2008-02-21, 01:46 AM
I will be coming. I don't care if I have to quit my job and hitchhike!

Actually my wife does want to get down there every now and then, so this should be pretty easy to work out. We will probably either stay with other friends down there or just book a hotel room. Considering the number of people showing interest so far we may overload the free lodging available...

It sounds like we'll have enough instruments to have a real rock band to accompany the game Rock Band! That sounds crazy enough that we pretty much have to try it.

I really can't wait to see you all again!Which Comfort Inn is that? I found a comfort inn for cheaper, but there's also a Comfort Suites. Anybody got an address to the place I'm looking for?

Shadow
2008-02-21, 01:59 AM
MS: You and me for a twin room?
How's that sound?

phoenixineohp
2008-02-21, 02:03 AM
Ooo! Ooo! I call dibs on the couch! :smallwink: Scandalous!

Shadow
2008-02-21, 02:07 AM
I cannot stand idly by and watch a lady on the couch.

So it'll be MS and Pxp in a twin.
I'm on the couch....

sucks for me....

phoenixineohp
2008-02-21, 02:10 AM
Looking at that sentence closely means that there will still be a twin avaiable. :smalltongue:

Thank you, but really, I was teasing. I have to wait and see if things are going to work out so I can go. Then I'll worry about details.

Shadow
2008-02-21, 02:13 AM
Looking at that sentence closely means that there will still be a twin avaiable. :smalltongue:
And there still may be.
I really don't think you know me well enough to make assumptions like that....

:wink:

Zeb The Troll
2008-02-21, 02:35 AM
*wanders idly into the thread to look and see if there's been any change in the "confirmed" list*

Hey, MS. Hey PxP. Hey, Shad-

*does doubletake*

Did ... did PxP just say she wouldn't be opposed to sharing a rather small bed with a rather large man? :smallwink:

I keed, I keed.

You kids be good now. :smalltongue:

phoenixineohp
2008-02-21, 02:48 AM
*embraces the scandal* :smallwink:

(I bet MS is going to be surprised when he checks this thread again. :smalltongue: )

smellie_hippie
2008-02-21, 06:40 AM
Which Comfort Inn is that? I found a comfort inn for cheaper, but there's also a Comfort Suites. Anybody got an address to the place I'm looking for?

I'll find you a more precise address after coffee...
The Comfort Inn (or Suites) you should be checking will with be on South Roan Street or University Parkway. (I think the address faces South Roan...) This is the hotel that is literally a 2 minute walk from the Hippie Hut and a 5 minute drive to our private picnic grounds.

The Valiant Turtle
2008-02-21, 07:21 AM
The Comfort Inn near the Hippie Hut is:

1900 S Roan St
Johnson City, TN 37601-3718

The Comfort Inn Suites is about 7-10 minutes further away and is at:

3118 Browns Mill Rd
Johnson City, TN 37604

(which is better known as "Right across from the Super Wal-Mart")

Looking at the Hotels.com lists, the American Classic Suites might be a decent option as well.

smellie_hippie
2008-02-21, 10:04 AM
The Comfort Inn near the Hippie Hut is:

1900 S Roan St
Johnson City, TN 37601-3718

The Comfort Inn Suites is about 7-10 minutes further away and is at:

3118 Browns Mill Rd
Johnson City, TN 37604

(which is better known as "Right across from the Super Wal-Mart")

Looking at the Hotels.com lists, the American Classic Suites might be a decent option as well.

Is that the new hotel in Jonesborough? (15 minute drive from Johnson City)

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-02-21, 11:15 AM
Okay, folks. I felt the need to pop in and speak up, especially since I've received some WONDERFUL PMs from a few folks. :smallredface:

It looks a lot like if I can make this trip, it'll be free! One person has offered me a flight, while another has offered lodging. As for food, it sounds like Hippie is planning to feed the State of TN, so no worries there. :smallsmile:

The only issue at hand at the moment is a foot. (Get it? "Issue at hand is a foot?" I crack myself up! :smallbiggrin: ) There are three options that I see for my new condition, two of which would keep me from coming out to play with you kids.

1. Nothing can be done about the foot. If this is the case, I'm just going to have to learn to deal, and you may well have to deal with "Loopy Bor," as I continue my steady stream of painkillers to remain mobile. So I'll come out to play, but I will not be held responsible for excessive hugging, lewd jokes, and random bouts of singing. :smallbiggrin:

2. Orthroscopic surgery. This may or may not keep me from coming. Most likely not. I may push for this, as age 40 and SEVERE osteoarthritis should not go together. Because I heal like garbage, and they'll need to shave bones, I'll likely prefer rest over a trip of any kind, even if it is to see people I happen to like more than family. :smallamused:

3. Joint replacement of the great toe. This would be BIG surgery. When they're done, I'll be "the Bionic Bor." This would be a last resort, as replaced joints only last so long before they need to be replaced...or so I hear. It also runs an even bigger risk of infection, unlike the tiny holes of orthroscopic surgery. :smalleek:

Now, as I understand it thus far, this shindig is planned for late June. I'm hoping for answers and decisions to be made by the end of April, or mid-May at the latest. I'm also hoping that'll be enough time to make whatever arrangements that need to be made.

But know that I'm still interested; I'm just waiting on various verdicts.

Mountain_Faerie
2008-02-21, 06:15 PM
It's not too early to start making plans for this is it? No, I think not.

So I realize it's a little early, but, Hippie and I were running through the list of people and we realized we're looking at maybe 30+ people. In order to help cover some of the food things, I am going to have to add a little food to the grocery list each month. I need to know if there are any foods that will make you die or destroy your religion...

V: takes out pad of paper and jots down "No Health Food"
Okay, so we need lots of fudges and candies and cookies! YEA! I loovve to make candy!

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-02-21, 06:34 PM
So I realize it's a little early, but, Hippie and I were running through the list of people and we realized we're looking at maybe 30+ people. In order to help cover some of the food things, I am going to have to add a little food to the grocery list each month. I need to know if there are any foods that will make you die or destroy your religion...

Yes! I can't eat health food. Makes me all slim and fit and stuff. Make sure we have nothing healthy! :smallbiggrin:

Midnight Son
2008-02-21, 09:50 PM

Thank you, but really, I was teasing. I have to wait and see if things are going to work out so I can go. Then I'll worry about details.This trip just keeps getting better and better!http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Smileys/Flirt.gif

I dunno Shadow...I mean, if it works out that way, I'm gettin' a room with one king bed and you can sleep in the hall.http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Smileys/grin.gif

Actually, I was debating the king/2 queen bed thing. I usually go with a king bed room when I travel, but I know some people's finances might be tight, so I'm definitely willing to share. (and if I happen to end up sharing with a cute woman as well; all the better)

TheGreatJabu
2008-02-22, 12:32 AM

Heck, if you're going to be stockpiling food, I think it'd be pretty fair if you asked for a few bucks from the attendees for "grocery funds". Even if we all contributed $10 or $20, that'd still be MUCH cheaper than eating out every meal of every day.

smellie_hippie
2008-02-22, 06:49 AM
Heck, if you're going to be stockpiling food, I think it'd be pretty fair if you asked for a few bucks from the attendees for "grocery funds". Even if we all contributed $10 or $20, that'd still be MUCH cheaper than eating out every meal of every day.

Yeah, that's kinda the plan. I mean we'll most certainly have a late evening of ordering pizza, or making the graveyard run to (for those who have a death wish...:smallyuk: ) Taco Bell...

But most folks coming from out of town won't be bringing 10 bags of chips, or a packet of hot dogs to cook at the picnic. Some of the local hosts will be helping with having a small stock-pile if you will, ahead of time. Then the guests who are coming to participate can chip in their share after the feasts!

We just wanted to know if there was a "no pork because I'm Jewish" or "no peanuts because I have a deathly allergy by even being in the same room". Those will be the foods we avoid stock-piling.

:smallconfused:

Wow, that sounded pretentious... sorry about that. :smallfrown:

LightWraith
2008-02-22, 08:10 AM
While I'm still only in the possible attendee category, I am in fact deathly allergic to Milk Products and Tree Nuts (Walnuts, Pecans, etc). Peanuts are fine though.

Unless we were planning on having a feast of walnuts and milk, I should be fine.

Mountain_Faerie
2008-02-22, 08:51 AM
Unless we were planning on having a feast of walnuts and milk, I should be fine.

Crosses walnut and milk casserole off the dinner menu - darn! that was my favorite...

Bardic Bunny
2008-02-22, 03:09 PM
Wow! I got really behind on reading.

I noticed that the ArchivesNinja and Mountain_Faerie mentioned their pets, so I thought I'd best add ours to the list for those of you who might be allergic
Penguinsushi and I have a dog--last year she was outside, but this year she's inside (and loving it). She does shed a lot, but if you pet her she will love you.

LightWraith--There are varying degrees of milk allergies--is your milk allergy to just to things like milk and cheese, or is it more touchy than that going on to things like whey, and the milk 'portions' they use in bread and hot dogs? (They put milk in strangest places.) My mom had an allergy like that and we had to check EVERYTHING.

Just wondered for hot dog buying purposes!

*Bardic Bunny begins psyching herself up for a cleaning frenzy 'Spare Oom is an absolute wreck!' she says.*

phoenixineohp
2008-02-22, 04:44 PM
Yes, how bad is that milk and walnuts allergy? Same room is fine but ingesting is not?

I am still only hoping to come, but being a veggie who doesn't eat much, I think I'll take care of my own food if I do go. I'll still sneak bread from you folks, but it will make everything much easier on your end. Thanks for thinking about it though. :smallsmile:

SMEE
2008-02-22, 05:15 PM
Well, I'm really allergic to mushrooms, but don't avoid them at all because of me. I know many a people love them, and I would feel bad for taking it from the menu.

I can get some food around at restaurants and such if needed. :smallsmile: