PDA

View Full Version : Drow Druid

Souju
2008-01-30, 11:47 PM
I'm not talkin a drow that wanders to the surface world and trains under some old (and open minded) druid, I'm talking a druid trained in their home (underground) turf.
How would it work? I have ideas but I'm not all that experience :)

Solo
2008-01-30, 11:49 PM
A druid who reveres the harsh and predatory nature of the Underdark.

Only the strong survive, and only those who survive are strong.

de-trick
2008-01-30, 11:53 PM
druid of the underdark, Id say use more earth spells and vermin spells than tree and animal spells, id ask to take a vermin animal companion too

Souju
2008-01-30, 11:56 PM
druid of the underdark, Id say use more earth spells and vermin spells than tree and animal spells, id ask to take a vermin animal companion too

what about giant mushrooms instead of trees?
i'd think drow druids would have a certain affinity with mushrooms, much like surface druids and trees

Belteshazzar
2008-01-31, 12:00 AM
Goomba Minions

Souju
2008-01-31, 12:05 AM
Goomba Minions

i like that! lol

Idea Man
2008-01-31, 12:07 AM
I would drop the more-or-less useless class features (for underground), like woodland stride and resist nature's lure, and replace them. Ability to influence vermin with wild empathy at second level and spider climb once a day at fourth seem fair and drowish.

Adding the ability to wild shape into a spider would be a nice touch, as would a spider animal companion. I know not all drow are spider lovers, but it's so iconic.

Souju
2008-01-31, 12:10 AM
I would drop the more-or-less useless class features (for underground), like woodland stride and resist nature's lure, and replace them. Ability to influence vermin with wild empathy at second level and spider climb once a day at fourth seem fair and drowish.

Adding the ability to wild shape into a spider would be a nice touch, as would a spider animal companion. I know not all drow are spider lovers, but it's so iconic.

you're right, whether a drow likes spiders or not, they're at the very least familiar with them.
i mean we're talking a race that's predisposed to being turned into a half-spider half-drow monstrosity at the whim of their goddess

shaggz076
2008-01-31, 12:11 AM
You could see if your ST would allow you to take a modified version of Arachnomancer in place of the Druid.

RTGoodman
2008-01-31, 12:23 AM
I don't know for sure, but I think there's an Eberron-related Druid feat called "Child of Winter" or something similar that gives you vermin-related Druid abilities. That might be the way to go - keep the mechanics, and just change the fluff.

Souju
2008-01-31, 12:30 AM
one thing i have to know:
anyone ever heard of a Dire Mole?

Ascension
2008-01-31, 12:44 AM
If you're looking for vermin companions look no farther than here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040705a) (Includes monstrous spider companions!). Modifications to other druid class features might be inspired by the modifications made here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a), just seasoned with an Underdark feel rather than an urban flavor.

Aerogoat
2008-01-31, 01:32 AM
If you're looking for vermin companions look no farther than here I just spent about half an hour looking for that link. 30 minutes so very very wasted...

Anyway, take the "City-Shape" in Ascension's second link and the Dungeonscape variant and you should have a properly Vermin-y setup.

And regarding a Dire Mole? Just refluff a Dire Badger. Or replace the Dire Rat's disease with a burrow speed (don't let it leave a tunnel, though).

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-01-31, 02:00 AM
The link lists vermin companions. It specifically lists a few swarms. It doesn't list Spider Swarm, but that's the same CR as a Giant Ant, which is listed, so that might be able to be house-ruled in. Drow Druid with a swarm of spiders at his beck and call? Yes please.:smallbiggrin:

Darazel
2008-01-31, 09:05 AM
I think I remember "Drow of the Underdark" containing alternative class features for Drow druids. I will check it when I'm home (and if I remember).

Crazy Scot
2008-01-31, 09:30 AM
If you have access to the book Dungeonscape, I believe there is an alternate class feature in there specifically set up for underground Druids. I don't remember all the changes off the top of my head, but I think it would be worth the effort to check out.

Crazy Scot
2008-01-31, 09:33 AM
If you have access to the book Dungeonscape, I believe there is an alternate class feature in there specifically set up for underground Druids. I don't remember all the changes off the top of my head, but I think it would be worth the effort to check out.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-01-31, 09:44 AM
Drow of the Underdark does indeed have an alt. feature for druids; wildshape into giant spiders. It's underpowered and boring, but fluff-wise it may be good. Some of the feats are more worthwhile, though the prereqs can be killer. I'd suggest checking it out, but don't hope for too much.

Darazel
2008-01-31, 12:52 PM
Drow of the Underdark does indeed have an alt. feature for druids; wildshape into giant spiders. It's underpowered and boring, but fluff-wise it may be good. Some of the feats are more worthwhile, though the prereqs can be killer. I'd suggest checking it out, but don't hope for too much.

Hey, I remembered posting the details. But apparently I was too slow :-) But that is exactly the class feature I meant. But Sstoopidtallkid is right, powerwise it is rather weak. But you could alway try to fix it by adding some flavor-fitting templates.