PDA

View Full Version : HBO's The Wire - Mark spoilers please

Irenaeus
2008-01-31, 12:04 AM
The amount of cultural lag we can experience over here on American productions varies significantly, but I have for a long time been able to rely on my varying internet communities, online magazines and other representatives of the grapevine to be able to pick out series that are exceptionally good, or that I would have a special interest in seeing. Then I found the Wire, which I they just started to air over here in Norway late this fall.

Now, I have bought and watched the three first seasons and is eagerly awaiting the fourth season to be available on region 2, and I must say I am absolutely blown away! Why haven't I heard about this already? Why the lack of buzz? For me, this has been the absolutely best series experience I have had in quite a while and I am simply wondering here if this is only me.

Is it?

Steinkügeln
2008-01-31, 12:40 AM
Best. Crime. Drama. Ever.

What sets it apart IMO: bit players are all JUST AS GOOD as the headliners. Take the typical Network crime drama, and you have guest stars that show up on all of them playing the same bit parts.

In the Wire you have these unknowns like Chad Coleman (Cutty Wise) and Michael K. Williams (Omar The Shooter) who turn out these amazing performances.

SK