PDA

View Full Version : The Soulknife, Revised [PEACH]

Xaros
2008-01-31, 01:47 AM
The soulknife is at once a great physical combatant, wielding a blade distilled from pure mental energy, and a warrior of the mind. Intense training leads the soulknife to ever greater levels of power: his weapon becomes more formidable, his mind more resilient, and his well of psionic knowledge deeper. At his pinnacle, the soulknife can shrug off even the most terrifying curses with ease even as he closes with his enemy to deliver the deathblow.

Requirements:

Base Attack Bonus +4
Proficiency with at least one martial weapon
Knowledge (Psionics) - 5 ranks
Psionic Meditation feat
Psionic Weapon feat OR any Metapsionic feat

Hit Die: d8
Skill Points: 2 + INT per level
Class Skills: (to be added 1/31)

{table=head]Level | Base[br]Attack[br]Bonus | Fort[br]Save | Reflex[br]Save | Will[br]Save | Mind Blade[br]Upgrades | Mind Blade[br]Enhancement | Mind Blade[br]Capacity | Manifesting
1st | +1 | +0 | +0 | +2 | Mind Blade, Upgrade Lv.1| +1 | 1 | ------------
2nd | +2 | +0 | +0 | +3 | Upgrade Lv.1 | +1 | 1 | +1 existing class
3rd | +3 | +1 | +1 | +3 | | +2 | 1 | +1 existing class
4th | +4 | +1 | +1 | +4 | Upgrade Lv.1 | +2 | 2 |------------
5th | +5 | +1 | +1 | +4 | Upgrade Lv.2 | +2 | 2 | +1 existing class
6th | +6/+1 | +2 | +2 | +5 | | +3 | 2 | +1 existing class
7th | +7/+2 | +2 | +2 | +5 | Upgrade Lv.2 | +3 | 3 | ------------
8th | +8/+3 | +2 | +2 | +5 | Upgrade Lv.2 | +3 | 3 | +1 existing class
9th | +9/+4 | +3 | +3 | +6 | | +4 | 3 | +1 existing class
10th | +10/+5 | +3 | +3 | +7 | Upgrade Lv.3 | +4 | 4 | ------------
11th | +11/+6/+1 | +3 | +3 | +7 | Upgrade Lv.3 | +4 | 4 | +1 existing class
12th | +12/+7/+2 | +4 | +4 | +8 | Upgrade Lv.3 | +5 | 5 | +1 existing class[/table]

Mind Blade (Su): As a move action, the soulknife can call forth a weapon of distilled mental energy. This weapon can take the shape (and properties) of any slashing weapon with which he has proficiency; the soulknife can change its shape as a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

A mind blade dissipates if it leaves the soulknife's hand unless it is intentionally thrown at a target (as Throw Mind Blade). The mind blade also dissipates in any area that suppresses magic or psionics unless the soulknife makes a DC 30 Concentration check. If the check succeeds, the soulknife may maintain his mind blade for a number of rounds equal to his soulknife class level before another check is necessary. A failure means that the soulknife must wait for 1 round before attempting to manifest his mind blade.

Mind Blade Enhancement (Su): The mind blade has an enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls equal to the value listed at each soulknife level.

Mind Blade Capacity (Su): A soulknife can transfer magical abilities from weapons to his mind blade. If the soulknife meditates with a magic weapon for one hour, he can delete one magical ability from the magic weapon and apply it to his mind blade in the future. He may only learn abilities for which he has sufficient capacity, so the soulknife could learn the Keen ability at first level, but not the Holy ability (until level 4).

Mind Blade Upgrade (Ex): At levels indicated, the soulknife learns techniques that can be applied to his mind blade. Upgrades are listed here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3871187&postcount=9).

ErrantX
2008-01-31, 11:45 AM
Okay, another soulknife revision. Let's see the good, the bad, and the ugly.

To start with, your requirements table isn't loading right. Easy fix though. Secondly, I don't think I'd use a requirement of any metapsionic feat. These guys are warriors, not blasters. I suggest changing that out for the Psionic Weapon feat. I would also suggest Weapon Focus in a melee weapon of the character's choice, as long as it's a slashing or piercing weapon (no blunt weapons please), the reason for this I will explain momentarily.

Next up, what kind of Hit Die do you get? This is not mentioned. I'd suggest a d8. Also, what kind of skills do you get, and how many? These also need to be mentioned.

Next, a 12 level class. Definitely different, I'd suggest sucking it into a 10 level class, myself. 12 is awkward, go either 10 or 15 is my motto. If you do 15, it's like the Prestige Paladin or those other variant classes.

Alright, now on to the meat of the class. Nearly full manifester and full BAB? Plus a ton of useful special abilities? Too good. Cut that manifester bonus down to half-manifester or cut that BAB to 3/4's like a cleric. A class that can do all that this can is like asking a player, "Why aren't you taking this class?" I'd vote on reducing the manifester level to 1/2 or 3/5ths. The traditional soulknife saves are Reflex and Will, so I'm curious why this was changed? I'd personally agree to Reflex and Will (they're agile skirmishers, not heavy sluggers and a lot of will is required for that blade).

Your mechanic for determining the potency of the Mindblade's attack enhancement and special ability enhancements is incredibly confusing to me, I advise that you go over it and revise it if you don't want to have a static progression in the class. Your Split Blade feature? Drop it. It pigeon holes someone into using dual weapons and that's never good. Instead, give it Shape Blade so it can split it into two shortswords as per normal, or into any weapon you possess Weapon Focus in, and the Weapon Focus (mindblade) stacks with this (perhaps change the name from the feat to Mindblade Focus?). This gives a lot of lee-way towards what shape mindblades can come in.

Bladewind is good, Mental Resistance is good, Multiple Throw is good, I like your new mechanic for Knife to the Soul, but I'd also include expending one's psionic focus. Bladestorm is awesome, I'd have to see it in playtest to find fault with it. Void Mind is a little strong, because if I'm not mistaken that will also negate morale bonuses? I'd check the SRD there. I'd almost suggest something like the monk's Diamond Soul instead, but gain Power Resistance instead.

Soul Divide is POTENT. Definitely expenditure of psionic focus, definitely expenditure of power points. It's a great capstone ability, you can humble any and all spellcasters and manifesters this way.

All in all, a great first draft. Some new abilities that I haven't seen in many redos. Kudos, I'm gonna keep and eye out on this so I can see what revisions are made. Good job, keep it up!

-X

Xaros
2008-01-31, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm heading out in a few minutes for work, so I'll update the first post this evening. That said, I definitely forgot a few things. Also, I apologize for jumping around a bit in this post.

The hit die was meant to be a d10. Maybe that's too big, but it's the traditional soulknife hit die; then again, this isn't a traditional soulknife.

Skills were supposed to be 4+INT/level. Class skills were based off the original soulknife, though I'll check my notes again just to make sure I didn't modify them.

I envisioned the class as an alternative to the Illithid Slayer (Slayer, if on the SRD), as I found a lot of my fighting-type psionic characters going Egoist 6/Anarchic Initiate 4/Slayer 10, and I felt that psionics could use a full BAB PrC to rival the Slayer. It looks like I overshot my goal a bit.

I decided on a metapsionic feat requirement for the same reason; I want the soulknife to be an extension of a manifesting class instead of a replacement. Psionic Weapon isn't a bad choice, though I personally dislike the feat considering how many of my soulknife class features require expending a psionic focus.

Knife to the Soul practically begs for a 12-level progression, since it uses a "divide by 3" mechanic. That and I wanted to delay Void Mind as late as possible. For Void Mind, I could add that a psionic focus is required, as the Slayer's "Cerebral Immunity" class feature.

Finally, I agree that the mechanics for the Mind Blade are a bit messy. I can't imagine how to synchronize the enhancements to ECL without doing so directly. The earliest somebody could qualify for this class is something like Fighter 1/Ardent 4, while others might choose to do Psion 8 first. Should the blade have equivalent enhancements whether the character is level 6 or level 9?

Again, thank you for the suggestions. Now I need to do some serious editing.

Xaros
2008-01-31, 01:48 PM
Changes Made:

BAB reduced to 3/4 - should make the class more "gish-like"
Psicraft skill rank requirement eliminated - Psychic Warriors couldn't get into the class otherwise
Mind Blade Upgrade ability separated from Mind Blade ability
Void Mind requires a psionic focus

Yakk
2008-01-31, 02:17 PM
Multiple throw is redundant. Once a mindblade can create a weapon as a free action, they can multiple throw....

I'd go for a full-BaB class. Make it 2/3 manifester level, leaving a gap at levels 1, 4, 7, and 10, and +8 manifester levels at level 12.

Next, rather than things at fixed levels, what if you had a bag of mind blade tricks?

Instant Creation (Mindblade 1) -- create as free action
Mindblade Throw (Mindblade 1) -- can throw mindblade
Split Blade (Mindblade 1) -- allows 2 mindblades
Mindblade Focus (Mindblade 1) -- adds +1 insight to hit and damage with mindblade

Mindblade's Soul (Mindblade 2) -- can save twice against mind-affecting effects, as the soul of the mindblade is split into self and blade
Knife to the Soul (Mindblade 2) -- burns psi focus
Bladewind (Mindblade 2) -- +5' reach beyond threatened range, burns psi focus
Blade Reach (Mindblade 2) -- +5' reach for 1 power points per attack, does not threaten.
Mindblade Specialization (Mindblade 2) -- requires Mindblade Focus. +2 insight bonus to hit, +1 to damage, and doubles the damage die of the weapon.

Bladestorm (Mindblade 3) -- 30' reach, requires Bladewind
Mind of Blades (Mindblade 3) -- immune to mind-affecing effects as long as is psionically focused
Soul Divide (Mindblade 3) -- requires Knife to the Soul, burns psi focus
Mindblade Mastery (Mindblade 3) -- requires Mindblade Specialization. Adds insight bonus of +3 to hit, +1 to damage, and triples the damage die of the weapon

Etc -- create a bunch of mindblade abilities. Then let the player pick one at levels:
1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12

At level 1-4, the abilities you pick must be 1st level.
At level 5+, the abilities you pick can be 1st or 2nd level.
At level 10+ the abilities you pick can be 1st, 2nd or 3rd level.

You end up with 3/3/3 abilities, selected by the player, instead of the exact same tricks for every character.

Note my random tweaks: Bladewind is now better than Whirlwind attack, but costs psi focus.

Naturally one needs to create more mindblade abilities for this to work out well. :)

Xaros
2008-01-31, 03:50 PM
snip for brevity

Wow. Just wow. That would definitely work - somebody could conceivably take just a few levels worth of soulknife for the blade itself without sacrificing too much manifesting, and then it'd be a choice between physical combat or pure manifesting. It adds a nice level of ambivalence; which one to choose?

The mind blade abilities are similar to the upgrade system I borrowed for my divine caster soulknife variant (the thread escapes me at the moment). I'll have to carefully consider this.

Yakk
2008-01-31, 04:18 PM
Oh, and for the enhancement... That is sort of needed.

There are semi-dead levels at level 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10.

Manifester Mindblade Mindblade
Level Powers Enhancement Capacity
1 +1@1 +1 1
2 +1 +1@1 +1 1
3 +1 +2 1
4 +1@1 +2 2
5 +1 +1@2 +2 2
6 +1 +3 2
7 +1@2 +3 3
8 +1 +1@2 +3 3
9 +1 +4 3
10 +1@3 +4 4
11 +1 +1@3 +4 4
12 +1 +1@3 +5 5

That gives a nice uniform progression with a bit of a cap-stone at 12.

The mindblade can learn how a magical or psionic weapon creates extra effects by meditating on it for 1 hour. After the 1 hour is over, the magical or psionic extra effect is stripped form the weapon, and the mindblade learns the effect.

The mindblade can imbue in his weapons the effects that she knows by meditating for 1 minute. There is a limit on the total amount of effects that can be imbued into each mind blade, labeled "capacity" on the above table.

Some optonal mindblade abilities that deal with this:
Change Blade (Mindblade 1): As a move action costing 1 power point, you can change up to 2 points of enhancement on your weapon.

Mutable Blade (Mindblade 2): Requires Change Blade. As a swift action costing 3 power points, you can change up to 2 points of enhancement on your blade. As a move action costing 3 power points, you can change up to 4 points of enhancement on your blade.

Infinite Blade (Mindblade 3): Requires Mutable Blade. As a swift action costing 5 power points, you can change your blades enhancements to whatever you wish. In addition, your weapon has 1 additional capacity.

Xaros
2008-01-31, 05:55 PM
Awesome. I'll have to modify the first post accordingly.

EDIT:

List of previous abilities truncated. Upgrades will be listed soon.
BAB requirement reduced to +3. Now it's easier for full manifesters to get in, if they so choose (Ardent 4 or Psion 6).

Xaros
2008-02-01, 01:16 AM
Mind Blade Upgrades

First Level:

Change Blade - The soulknife may spend 1 power point as a move action to change up to 2 points of enhancement on his mind blade.
Energy Blade - The soulknife chooses an element (fire, ice, electricity, sonic, acid). His mind blade does +50% damage when striking a foe weak to that element. Also, the soulknife can choose element-based enhancements for his mind blade capacity without draining them from another weapon.
Free Draw - The soulknife can manifest his mind blade as a free action.
Mind Blade Focus - The soulknife gains a +1 insight bonus to attack and damage rolls when fighting with his mind blade.
Split Blade - The soulknife can create a second mind blade. It must obey all rules for mind blade creation outlined in the Mind Blade ability. The soulknife takes the normal penalties for fighting with two weapons if he uses both this and his primary mind blade to attack.
Throw Mind Blade - The soulknife can throw his mind blade. It has a range increment of 30'. If the soulknife could normally make multiple melee attacks as part of a full round attack, he may make multiple ranged attacks with this ability.

Second Level:

Aligned Blade - The soulknife's mind blade gains his alignment traits for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Also, the soulknife can choose alignment-based enhancements for his mind blade capacity without draining them from another weapon.
Bladewind - To use this ability, the soulknife must expend his psionic focus. As a full-round attack, the soulknife makes a single melee attack against all enemies within his threatened zone, plus 5' outward.
Knife to the Soul - To use this ability, the soulknife must expend his psionic focus. If he does, the first attack he makes that hits his target does one point of Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma damage equal to one-third of his soulknife level.
Mind Blade Specialization - (req. Mind Blade Focus) - The soulknife gains a +2 insight bonus to attack and damage rolls with his mind blade.
Mind of Blades - The soulknife can roll two saving throws versus mind-affecting abilities and take the better of the two rolls.
Rapidforge - (req. Change Blade) - The soulknife can use Change Blade as a swift action. Additionally, for every 3 extra power points he spends, he may alter 1 additional point of enhancement on his mind blade.
Terrorblade - When the soulknife scores a critical hit with his mind blade, the target must make a Will save (DC = 10 + the soulknife's class level + INT) or be shaken for 10 rounds.
Two Blades As One - (req. Split Blade) - The soulknife fights better with two weapons. The penalty to attack rolls is reduced by 2 when he is attacking with two mind blades, and he adds his full Strength bonus to damage for both weapons.
Third Level:

Bladestorm - (req. Bladewind) - When the soulknife uses the Bladewind ability, he instead makes a single melee attack against all enemies within 30'.
Infinite Forge - (req. Rapidforge) - As a swift action, the soulknife can spend 5 power points to change the enhancements on his mind blade as he wishes. Additionally, his mind blade gains 1 extra point of capacity.
Mind Blade Mastery - (req. Mind Blade Specialization) - The soulknife gains a +3 insight bonus to attack and damage rolls, and the threat range of his mind blade increases by 1. Apply this increase to the threat range after all other effects that increase threat range have been applied.
Soul Divide - (req. Knife to the Soul) - When the soulknife uses the Knife to the Soul ability, his victim must make a Will save (DC = 10 + the soulknife's class level + INT) or take ability damage to all of its mental ability scores.
Stasis Blade - When the soulknife scores a critical hit, his target must make a Fortitude save (DC = 10 + the soulknife's class level + INT) or be stunned for 1 round. The target must also make a Will save (DC = same) or be slowed for 5 rounds.
Void Mind - While he is psioncally focused, the soulknife is immune to mind-affecting abilities.

New Feat:

Upgrade Mind Blade - (req. Mind Blade class feature) - The soulknife's mind blade gains a new upgrade of his choice. This upgrade must be of a level no higher than he could normally use.

Yakk
2008-02-01, 01:41 AM
Aim for 6 upgrades at each of the 3 levels, so each mind blade gets half of them. What do you think of my "rapid change" upgrades? They do need some polish.

The idea is "change weapon out of combat only" is a reasonable base case, and the Mindblade can invest upgrades to make the change faster.

Now the class is possibly too strong.

It is an int-based class. Cut skillpoints down to 2+int.

Drop HD down to d8 -- the class as written is far more offensive more than defensive.

Keep 1 Good set of saves, probably Will.

It is too biased towards a pure-psion base class: there needs to be something that makes psychic rogues/warriors useful. A higher BaB requirement does this.

Psionic Meditation is a good requirement, but it is such a good feat it isn't a "cost".

So, how about: Proficient with at least one Martial weapons, Psionic Meditation, can manifest at least one 2nd level power, Knowledge(Psionics) 6, BaB +4?

BaB +4 means a 6th level Psychic Warrior or The Psychic Rogue can enter it.

Psion 4/Fighter 2 can also enter it.

That places a nice balance between the two basic paths (directly from a pre-gish class of Psychic Warrior, or from a multiclass Psion/Fighter manual gish).

Xaros
2008-02-01, 02:06 AM
Aim for 6 upgrades at each of the 3 levels, so each mind blade gets half of them. What do you think of my "rapid change" upgrades? They do need some polish.

6 was kind of my goal too, though I'm not averse to having 7 abilities and really forcing a player to choose. I liked the rapid change abilities, and I honestly lost track of them when I was posting tonight. Thanks for the reminder.

Now the class is possibly too strong.

It is an int-based class. Cut skillpoints down to 2+int.

Drop HD down to d8 -- the class as written is far more offensive more than defensive.

Not a problem. I may also restrict the skill list to exclude things like Hide and Move Silently. I like them, to be sure, but maybe not for this kind of class.

Keep 1 Good set of saves, probably Will.

I don't know. I mean, the player can pretty much negate the need for a Will save if he or she chooses - though that does require a certain level of investment on the player's part. Having something else seemed like a nice touch, especially at early levels. But it's not something I care overmuch about.

It is too biased towards a pure-psion base class: there needs to be something that makes psychic rogues/warriors useful. A higher BaB requirement does this.

Psionic Meditation is a good requirement, but it is such a good feat it isn't a "cost".

Agreed on both counts. BAB requirement will go back to +4 when I make the next round of changes (probably tomorrow afternoon).

So, how about: Proficient with at least one Martial weapons, Psionic Meditation, can manifest at least one 2nd level power, Knowledge(Psionics) 6, BaB +4?

BaB +4 means a 6th level Psychic Warrior or The Psychic Rogue can enter it.

Psion 4/Fighter 2 can also enter it.

That places a nice balance between the two basic paths (directly from a pre-gish class of Psychic Warrior, or from a multiclass Psion/Fighter manual gish).

Seems reasonable. Since the player's already dumping 4 manifesting levels, dipping one level in a full BAB class isn't a huge deal. The player's not going to see 9th level powers, so it's not a tremendous loss (especially when he or she is soul dividing or stasis blading like crazy). I've certainly got more to think on, that's for sure.

Arakune
2008-02-01, 09:21 AM
A 12th level class? Weird. Make it at least a 15th level class since there are precedents.

Xaros
2008-02-01, 11:15 AM
A 12th level class? Weird. Make it at least a 15th level class since there are precedents.

I thought about making the soulknife either a 10 or 15 level class, but 10 seemed too short, and 15 means that a pure psion can't complete the progression. Even the psychic warrior couldn't complete the class by level 20 because of the BAB requirement. I like 12 levels because I can divide by 2, 3, 4, or 6 when considering class features, like Knife to the Soul.

Aside from precedent, is there a strong reason why 12 levels for a PrC is a bad idea?

Xaros
2008-02-01, 01:44 PM
Update:

Increased BAB requirement to +4
Added requirement for one martial weapon proficiency
Reduced Fortitude save progression to poor
Added Lv.1 upgrade at soulknife level 3
Reduced skill points to 2 + INT per level
Reduced hit die to d8
Added new upgrade, Two Blades As One
Added new feat, Upgrade Mind Blade

Still to Do:

List class skills

Stycotl
2008-02-01, 11:06 PM
there is precedent for weird-numbered prc progressions. 12 is generally for dragons, but honestly, it doesn't matter. looks good. and good input, yakk.

Yakk
2008-02-02, 01:04 AM
Just so you know, the pattern wasn't arbitrary.

Both mindblade upgrades and manifester levels are gained at a rate of 2/3.

1/3 of the levels, you gain both a mainfester level and a mindblade upgrade. On these levels, you gain neither a mindblade enhancement bonus or a mindblade capacity bonus.

On the other 2/3 of levels, you gain a capacity upgrade or an enchantment upgrade.

Basically, each level you get 2 toys out of: manifester, blade upgrade, enhancement upgrade, capacity upgrade.

The exception is level 1 and 12: At level 1 you get a bit more, and at level 12 you get one of each (as a capstone). Between the two of them, you end up with 3 upgrades of each level (nice an symmetric), and a +5/+5 blade.

Anyhow, that is the reason behind the somewhat strange looking progression -- no level is really a dead level, because you get 2 toys at every level.

Adding a mindblade power at 3 means that it also becomes a "super level" -- manifester, upgrade and an enchantment upgrade, 3 toys.

Xaros
2008-02-02, 01:52 AM
That makes sense. I'm a bit surprised I missed the connection between the progressions. So, basically, you'd get rid of the upgrade at level 3 and run the class "as is", but with your change upgrades added?

EDIT: Upgrade at level 3 deleted. More to come...?

Yakk
2008-02-02, 04:27 AM
Ideas for Powers:
L 1: Enlarge Mind Blade (Can make a greatsword).
L 2: Flexible Mind Blade (Can make a mind blade for any simple or martial weapon you are proficient in. Requires Enlarge to make a two handed weapon.)
L 3: Exotic Mind Blade (Requires Flexible, Can make a mind blade for any weapon you have an EWP for. Requires Enlarge to make a two handed weapon.)

Should Rapiers also be allowed as mind blades by default? I'm thinking Psionic Rogue -> Mindblade. Maybe rapiers if and only if you have the weapon finess feat? Or we could just leave the Rogues with short swords.

Ok, balance problem. With all of those critical attack effects...

First problem: this over encourages "two weapon fighting", and getting in as many hits as you can, to cause as many crits as you can.

Second problem: "crit monkey" weapons (like rapiers and scimitars) become too strong.

Dunno what to do about that.

Yakk
2008-02-02, 12:15 PM
New Feat:

Upgrade Mind Blade - (req. Mind Blade class feature) - The soulknife's mind blade gains a new upgrade of his choice.

That needs a level limit. "... of an upgrade level no higher than she already possesses."?

Doberler
2008-02-02, 01:03 PM
pardon my asking... but where is this psionic rogue that you guys are taking about?

Yakk
2008-02-02, 02:31 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b

Xaros
2008-02-02, 03:31 PM
Ideas for Powers:
L 1: Enlarge Mind Blade (Can make a greatsword).
L 2: Flexible Mind Blade (Can make a mind blade for any simple or martial weapon you are proficient in. Requires Enlarge to make a two handed weapon.)
L 3: Exotic Mind Blade (Requires Flexible, Can make a mind blade for any weapon you have an EWP for. Requires Enlarge to make a two handed weapon.)

Or I suppose that I could just rewrite the Mind Blade ability to allow for any slashing weapon with which the soulknife has proficiency. That would disallow short swords (and eliminate your very nicely designed abilities above), I suppose, but it'd allow...

Should Rapiers also be allowed as mind blades by default? I'm thinking Psionic Rogue -> Mindblade. Maybe rapiers if and only if you have the weapon finess feat? Or we could just leave the Rogues with short swords.

...rapiers. And disallow spiked chains, which are the last things I want a soulknife to be using on the battlefield.

Ok, balance problem. With all of those critical attack effects...

First problem: this over encourages "two weapon fighting", and getting in as many hits as you can, to cause as many crits as you can.

Second problem: "crit monkey" weapons (like rapiers and scimitars) become too strong.

I could just give the +1 crit threat zone on Mind Blade Mastery, and take it away from Specialization. I see the soulknife as having the same choice as the ranger - namely, to choose TWF or ranged fighting. Of course, give enough upgrade possibilities, and one need choose neither.

So it would look like:

Mind Blade Focus - +1 insight bonus to attack/damage rolls
Mind Blade Specialization - +2 insight bonus to attack/damage rolls (overlap)
Mind Blade Mastery - +3 insight bonus to attack/damage rolls (overlap), +1 to critical threat zone (stacks)

Then the worst that somebody could do would be to use a weapon that naturally crits on 18, drop that to 17, and then use Keen or Imp. Critical to get down to 13. I could put wording into the ability that forces it to be applied last, so that the threat range would be doubled first and then increased by 1. Would that work, or should I scrap the ability outright?

Xaros
2008-02-02, 03:44 PM
Update:

A soulknife's mind blade can be any slashing weapon with which he has proficiency. This should go nicely with the requirement for martial weapon proficiency.
Mind Blade Specialization no longer increases threat range.
Mind Blade Mastery continues to allow increased threat range, but its effect is applied last if other effects also increase threat range.
Added Change Blade, Rapidforge, and Infinite Forge (similar to Yakk's abilities)
Changed Upgrade Mind Blade to restrict upgrades to those a soulknife could normally access.

Yakk
2008-02-02, 04:10 PM
Slight DC change suggestion:
DC = 10 + 1/2 Soulblade Class + Damage/10 + Int
?

Or....

DC = 10 + Soulblade Class + Int + Crit Multiplier

These give the weapons that have narrow crit ranges but lots of crit height a boost.

The first makes a very organic DC, and also rewards the two-handed soul-blade with higher DCs, while the twf soul-blade gets more attempts at putting status effects on the target.

Another concern: too many saves on each crit possibly? What if those abilities cost 1 capacity on the soul blade when active? Or what if you get to apply them as an immediate action when you execute a crit?

Xaros
2008-02-03, 01:43 AM
I don't have a problem rewording the abilities to take up a capacity slot. I have to think about the save DCs themselves; high-multiplier damage is often enough to kill a target outright if it criticals, and I don't see the crit-only effects as being terribly desirable with a weapon that only crits on a 20. Then again, I'm only one player - let me know if I'm off base.