PDA

View Full Version : Rhino Ridin' Druidic Duelist

OverdrivePrime
2008-01-31, 09:21 AM
Hey there campers,

Some friends and I regularly get together to bash the tar out of each other by dueling with D&D 3.5 characters. Two people pit their characters against one another while another person designs the arena and referees. We use a Michael Bay Movie stat array (18, 17, 16, 14, 13, 12) because we have no shame.

We've gotten up to 9th level, and I want to replace one of my gladiators (we're allowed two) because he's pretty broken (Lion totem barbarian 5 / Pious Templar 4 with the shock trooper tree). Because of him and a few other observations, we've agreed to ban Complete Champion materials from all games unless heavily reviewed. The various forest-themed prestige classes are allowed.

We fight a mix of character types, with mounted combat being fairly popular, as well as gish types and TOB characters. The two straight-up mages in the contest are unholy terrors, and no one is cheese enough to play a cleric.

I've decided to defy that convention somewhat and play a druid. I'm going to avoid the uber-cheese and make it somewhat fair by not taking Natural Spell. Madness, I know!

I want to make him hard core at mounted combat, with spells to buff and control the battlefield. He rides a rhino and so I've got most of his stuff focused on that.

Available books are all 3.5:
Player's Handbook, Player's Handbook II, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I
All complete books (except most of Complete Champion)
Races of Stone, Races of the Wild, Races of Destiny
Tome of Battle, Tome of Magic
Note: Dinosaurs do not exist in our game environment.

So. Here's what I've got so far. Please help me tweak this guy out to make him absolutely sick.

Orion
Human Druid 9
Starting cash moneys: 36,000 gp
Alignment: N
Attributes: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 20, Cha 13
Hit Dice: 9d8+27
BAB: +6/+1
Armor Class: 25 (base 10, +7 armor, +4 shield, +2 dex, +1 natural armor, +1 deflection)
Speed 20
Fort Save: +11 (base 6, +3 con, +2 cloak)
Ref Save: +7 (base 3, +2 dex, +2 cloak)
Will Save: +13 (base 6, +5 will, +2 cloak)
Attack: Scimitar +10/+5 melee 1d6+4
Feats: Mounted Combat, Ride By Attack, Spirited Charge, Trample, Somatic Weaponry (from Complete Mage)
Skill Ranks: Concentration 12, Handle Animal 7, Heal 5, Knowledge Nature 12, Listen 6, Ride 12, Spellcraft 5, Spot 8, Survival 5

Equipment:
Dragonhide Breastplate +2
Dragonhide Heavy Shield +2
Rhino Hide Barding (for Rhino, yes I know it's sick - I'm thinking of making it studded leather dragon hide with the same enchantment)
Rhino Booties of Speed (see horseshoes of speed)
Scimitar +1
Military Saddle
Pay 9th level Wizard to cast Permanency on Magic Fang on Rhino's horn (2,950 gp)
Mask of Ghostly Sight (Command Word activated see invisibility 1/day, CL 3, 2,950 gp)
Spell Component Pouch, Holly & Mistletoe
Ring of Protection +1
Cloak of Resistance +2
Amulet of Natural Armor +1

I'm not married to any of the feat, skill, attribute or equipment choices. I do not plan on using wild shape unless I need to escape.

The only thing that I really care about is keeping the rhino:
Dakapi
Large Animal
Hit Dice: 10d8+50
Initiative: +0
Speed: 50 (or 60 in light barding)
Armor Class: 22 (-1 size, +9 natural, +4 armor) touch 9, flat-footed 22
Base Attack / Grapple: +7 / +19
Attack: Gore +15 melee (2d6+13) (magic horn +1)
Space / Reach: 10 ft. / 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Powerful Charge
Special Qualities: Low light vision, Link (+4 to Handle Animal checks), Share Spells, Evasion
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +7, Will +4
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 2
Skills: Jump +10, Listen +14, Spot +3
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Improved Natural Attack (Gore), Power Attack
Powerful Charge (Ex): Dakapi deals 4d6+26 points of damage when it makes a charge
Tricks: (8 total) Combat Riding (attack, come, defend, down, guard, heel), +2 extra

I know that I can do better than this. What am I missing?

OverdrivePrime
2008-02-01, 09:31 AM
So, apparently this guy cannot be improved in any way? :smallamused:

Anyway, I've got a question about the Natural Bond feat from Complete Adventurer. My Rhino is a -6 level animal companion, so my druid's effective level is 3 for determining his rhino's advancements.

I had originally thought that natural bond was only for characters who had cross-classed and thus didn't have full levels of druid. However, after re-reading the feat, it looks like it may be useful for my character, and others who have powerful animal companions.

Am I missing something, or is Natural Bond just that awesome?