PDA

View Full Version : Gear for a Wizard

Tyger
2008-01-31, 12:41 PM
Our party has just come in to a sizable amount of gold, and we are also blessed with some serious downtime, approximately 18 months worth. My character (Wiz 7 / MotAO 4) has Scribe Scroll, Craft Magical Arms & Armour and Craft Wondrous as item creation feats.

His current gear is:
Headband of Intellect +6
Handy Haversack
Amulet of Health +2
Mithril Chain Shirt +1 (Twilight)
Mithril Buckler
Blessed Book
Magical staff (+5 staff, which gives +5 AC (deflection), and acts as a Greater Metamagic Rod of Quicken - Don't ask, long story. :) )
Ring of Counterspells

I have about 20K gold, and about 800 XP left for crafting. Purchasing magic items is not possible, if I can't make it, it don't come in. We have a cleric as well, for extra spell / crafting options, and that cleric has Craft Staff as well.

Any suggestions? Cloak of Resistance is an option, but I can cast Superior Resistance each day and get +6 to saves anyway. I play a support style mage, mostly going for battlefield control and making things generally easier on our melee centric group. Not a huge user of Ray spells or Orbs, so a high DEX is nice, but not essential.

Stats are (unaugmented):
STR: 13
DEX 15
CON: 17
INT: 20
CHA: 13
WIS: 13

Duke of URL
2008-01-31, 12:50 PM
For that XP, you're really looking at items that cost 20,000 list price maximum. Nice wondrous items in that price range include some Ioun Stones, a Portable Hole, a Luckstone, Flying Carpet, or a Pearl of Power (up to 4th).

Saph
2008-01-31, 01:10 PM
Those stats are insane. That's what, point buy 52? How on earth did you get them?

Anyway: If your cleric friend's amenable and you've got access to the Magic Item Compendium, I'd recommend a runestaff. Put a variety of low-level spells in it that are thematically tied together somehow. It increases your versatility in a big way.

If you're limited to core only, my suggestions would be:

• Gloves of Arrow Snaring
• Gloves of Dexterity (AC and Initiative is always nice)
• Slippers of Spider Climbing
• Periapt of Proof against Poison

The last is really expensive and campaign-dependent. Some GMs don't use poisons very often, and others always give you a way to avoid them. However, 24-hour immunity to them can save your life, so it's worth thinking about. If you run into rogues much, a minor cloak of displacement would be good, too.

Oh, and make scrolls of all your emergency/always-used spells. But you're probably got those already. :)

- Saph

sikyon
2008-01-31, 01:16 PM
Those stats are insane. That's what, point buy 52? How on earth did you get them?

Perhaps he, oh I dunno, rolled them?

kemmotar
2008-01-31, 01:26 PM
Ring of spell battle is a must for any wizard...for those pesky BBEG wizards...they don't get a save, all you need to do is get a spellcraft check(i think 20+spell level) to redirect one spell per day...also it only costs 12k

Also, shirt of the leech, steal heals from enemy clerics both benefiting you and depriving them from the enemy meatshield (also 1/day and 12k:smallbiggrin: )

Both from MIC...
Oh and let's not forget belt of battle for extra actions...also 12k from MIC

Tyger
2008-01-31, 01:26 PM
Yeah, the stats were rolled. Got quite lucky. Of course, the 20 in INT is actually an 18 levelled up at 4 and 8. But yes, I think that would work out to a 52 point build. :smallbiggrin:

Hadn't thought about a Runestaff. Not sure if the DM will go for it, as he's really set me up to wield this artifact / epic level rod/staff that he just passed me. But its certainly an idea. And MIC is in, though subject to DM fiat. But is the Runestaff really all that great when you are a Mage of the Arcane Order? Versatility isn't really an issue, as any spell under 7th level can be used with the MotAO's spell pool.

Hadn't thought of the Slippers... made a set for the party scout, would be handy to have a set for myself. And the Periapt against poison is a great item, but the DM has yet to use poison. That's not to say he won't... but there you have it.

And to be honest, I forgot that increasing my DEX would also increase my Initiative! ::doh!:: Gloves of Dexterity look better and better. Increased AC, Reflex saves and Intiative?? Check!

Ring of spell battle is a must for any wizard...for those pesky BBEG wizards...they don't get a save, all you need to do is get a spellcraft check(i think 20+spell level) to redirect one spell per day...also it only costs 12k

Can't make a ring, don't have the feat.

Also, shirt of the leech, steal heals from enemy clerics both benefiting you and depriving them from the enemy meatshield (also 1/day and 12k:smallbiggrin: )

Nice, but is that really worth 12K? Seems way overpriced to me.

Oh and let's not forget belt of battle for extra actions...also 12k from MIC

Yeah, that is one that I won't even bother running by the DM... I already "no" the answer to that one. :smallsmile:

Idea Man
2008-01-31, 01:34 PM
That's why I'm not a fan of rolled stats. Great fun if you get high rolls, but someone is not going to, and that person has to suffer (relatively). Point buy is fair for all, and can be set at any amount the group thinks will be fun.

As for the OP, metamagic rods to augment your spells would be a good idea. Rods of extend spell, even lesser ones, can be a great boon. Gloves of storing will help make these as practical as possible.

Saph
2008-01-31, 01:34 PM
Hadn't thought about a Runestaff. Not sure if the DM will go for it, as he's really set me up to wield this artifact / epic level rod/staff that he just passed me. But its certainly an idea. And MIC is in, though subject to DM fiat. But is the Runestaff really all that great when you are a Mage of the Arcane Order? Versatility isn't really an issue, as any spell under 7th level can be used with the MotAO's spell pool.

It's more for in-combat use. It gives you some of the flexibility of a Sorcerer; channel your low-level spells into whatever you want. But if you're always wielding this staff, that'd limit it, so probably not a good idea.

If the MiC is in, though, there are plenty of nice things available. Have a look at Bracers of the Entangling Blast (auto-entangle with a damage spell), Anklet of Translocation (instant teleport), Boots of Big Stepping (bigger teleport, and boost your teleportation CL), or a Third Eye Penetrate (break SR). And yes, definitely get a Dexterity boost, it's worth it. :)

- Saph

Tyger
2008-01-31, 01:36 PM
As for the OP, metamagic rods to augment your spells would be a good idea. Rods of extend spell, even lesser ones, can be a great boon. Gloves of storing will help make these as practical as possible.

Ummm... as noted in the OP, items from the following crafting feats only please:

Craft Staff
Scribe Scroll
Craft Wondrous
Craft Magical Arms and Armour.

And on the stats note, yes, that can be a problem. Our DM for this campaign gave a ridiculous rolling system too. Roll 7, discard the lowest. Do that up to 10 times. Each time you re-roll, you discard all previous rolls.

Granted, that exact same system produced my other character, who I think worked out to a 24 point build. Highest stat was a 15 and lowest a 7. Painful. :smallsmile:

Meloku
2008-01-31, 08:51 PM
A Belt of Battle (MIC page 73) is always a good option (+2 Init, the option to take up to 3 move actions, 1 move and 1 standard action, or 1 full round action per day bonus, and it only costs 12,000 gp to buy (so 6,000 +480 XP to craft))

UserClone
2008-01-31, 09:41 PM
Heward's bedroll is pretty sick for a caster- Complete Mage, I think. Once per 48 hrs you can sleep in it for one hour and gain a full night's rest. This explicitly overrides the 8-hour-rest-before-spell-preparation rule.

Kilroy
2008-01-31, 10:26 PM
Augment Crystals from MIC would help out your support role. Also your crazy staff meets the req for the good ones. Cheap and fairly useful.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-01-31, 11:51 PM
I love level 1 Talismans (First level spells usable 1/day) very cheap at 300 gp market price.

+2 or +4 Amulet of Health for extra hit points.

Lots of nice Ioun stones after L12.

A Belt of Healing from MIC 750 gp as I recall.

Deck of Illusions.

Robe of Useful Items

Dust of Appearance for when you don't have the spell.

Elixir of Love (Not a Potion)

Elixir of Truth

Eyes of the Eagle

Hand of the Mage

Lyre of Building (Maybe your DM will let you trade it for something you can't craft yourself like Pearls of Power CL17)

An Elemental Gem or two could be useful with access to a Druid.

Bag of Tricks if you have access to a Druid to cast Summon Nature's Ally either a PC or NPC to personal taste.

Possibly a Hat of Disguise or Magic Boots. (Two pairs of Teleportation if you can prorate them down to 1/10 days) otherwise Boots of Striding and Springing.

Maybe a Figurine of Power (Raven, Owl or Dog) possibly more than one (Intelligence can be nice for the Raven).

Glove of Storing.

Consider adding Intelligence to some of your items along with a few of the specials they get.

Tyger
2008-02-01, 01:15 AM
Lots of nice Ioun stones after L12.

Maybe your DM will let you trade it for something you can't craft yourself like Pearls of Power CL17

All good ideas Mike. I highlighted the above though... you know that those CLs you listed are not required to actually craft the things right? A Pearl of Power requires only that you a) have the Craft Wondrous Feat and b) can cast spells of the level you are imbuing it with. That's it.

The CL listed with all items is:

From the SRD
Caster Level
The next item in a notational entry gives the caster level of the item, indicating its relative power. The caster level determines the item’s saving throw bonus, as well as range or other level-dependent aspects of the powers of the item (if variable). It also determines the level that must be contended with should the item come under the effect of a dispel magic spell or similar situation. This information is given in the form "CL x," where "CL" is an abbreviation for caster level and "x" is an ordinal number representing the caster level itself.

For potions, scrolls, and wands, the creator can set the caster level of an item at any number high enough to cast the stored spell and not higher than her own caster level. For other magic items, the caster level is determined by the creator. The minimum caster level is that which is needed to meet the prerequisites given.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-02-01, 02:40 AM
All good ideas Mike. I highlighted the above though... you know that those CLs you listed are not required to actually craft the things right? A Pearl of Power requires only that you a) have the Craft Wondrous Feat and b) can cast spells of the level you are imbuing it with. That's it.

The CL listed with all items is:

Thanks I prefer a lot of utility items particularly with a Heward's Handy Haversack to pull them from when needed. I agree, I normally go with the minimum caster level required to cast the spell and the required feat although there are a few very specific items like the Ioun Stones and the Pearls of Power that the DMG and the SRD clearly specify a CL that is higher than what would normally seem to be the minimum CL needed to make the item work at minimum power and minimum cost (generally items that have Cl listed higher than the minimum Cl needed for the magic to function cost more money).

Consider the SRD text for the Pearls of Power it would work fine without a CL or a Cl 3 (Craft Wondrous Item Feat CL requirement) plus appropiate spellcasting level but what it says is Cl 17.

IMO specific custom or unique source book magic items particularly magic items in the DMG trumps the general crafting rules when they conflict each other under RAW (Although it is quite possible it could have been a design and review mistake since some of the designers and reviewers don't seem to be very familiar with basic mechanics and rules on occassion).

IMO a PC can usually work around that with another spellcaster of sufficient level or a scroll of that CL. Your original post said the DM is a stickler on crafting items and figured that would include the scrolls and possibly NPC spellcasters for spells above second or third level. (Still threw in the Druid spellcasting items though 5% of Thorps and Hamlets have a higher level one than normal).

IMO one of the reasons for the Cl17 for Pearls of Power is they are so useful to all party spellcasters and very cheap for what they do at low levels in long term campaigns so the designers tacked on the Cl 17 to leave it up to individual DMs to decide in their games the availability of the Pearls of Power since according to standard DMG demographics except for Adepts who may not have the feat NPC fullcasters of that level are normally only found in a Metropolis with a +12 for the highest level NPCs (Base average is 1D6 for Clerics and Druids and 1D4 for Sorcerers and Wizards before adding the locale bonus). DMG page 139.

From the SRD:

Pearl of Power
This seemingly normal pearl of average size and luster is a potent aid to all spellcasters who prepare spells (clerics, druids, rangers, paladins, and wizards). Once per day on command, a pearl of power enables the possessor to recall any one spell that she had prepared and then cast. The spell is then prepared again, just as if it had not been cast. The spell must be of a particular level, depending on the pearl. Different pearls exist for recalling one spell per day of each level from 1st through 9th and for the recall of two spells per day (each of a different level, 6th or lower).

Strong transmutation; CL 17th; Craft Wondrous Item, creator must be able to cast spells of the spell level to be recalled; Price 1,000 gp (1st), 4,000 gp (2nd), 9,000 gp (3rd), 16,000 gp (4th), 25,000 gp (5th), 36,000 gp (6th), 49,000 gp (7th), 64,000 gp (8th), 81,000 gp (9th), or 70,000 gp (two spells).

Talic
2008-02-01, 03:05 AM
That's why I'm not a fan of rolled stats. Great fun if you get high rolls, but someone is not going to, and that person has to suffer (relatively). Point buy is fair for all, and can be set at any amount the group thinks will be fun.

Meh, rebuilt, for 28 point build:

STR: 8 vs 13
DEX 14 vs 15
CON: 14 vs 17
INT: 20
CHA: 8 vs 13
WIS: 8 vs 13

The overall differences?

Character is 10% less likely to hit in melee combat against low to mid AC targets (without weapon finesse, which is recommended if you plan on touch spell combat).
Character has 1 less hp per level, and a 5% greater chance of failing low to mid DC fort saves.
Char has a lower carrying capacity.
Character is somewhat less charismatic.
Character has a 10% greater chance to fail most will saves.

These show up as disadvantages, sure, but the difference between 28 and 52 point build here is negligible. The single biggest drawback on that list is the save penalties. For most of what a wizard does (ranged touch attacks, targeted spells), the low point build is just as effective.

Sure the 52 point character may, over the course of a 20 level campaign, run into 10-20 times where he will succeed at something that the other will fail at. Usually, this will be a touch attack, or going into neg hp. Maybe save failure. In less than half the encounters will those differences even really matter.

Stats don't make the character. Stats make the character slightly better.

Tyger
2008-02-01, 08:12 AM
Thanks I prefer a lot of utility items particularly with a Heward's Handy Haversack to pull them from when needed. I agree, I normally go with the minimum caster level required to cast the spell and the required feat although there are a few very specific items like the Ioun Stones and the Pearls of Power that the DMG and the SRD clearly specify a CL that is higher than what would normally seem to be the minimum CL needed to make the item work at minimum power and minimum cost (generally items that have Cl listed higher than the minimum Cl needed for the magic to function cost more money).

Consider the SRD text for the Pearls of Power it would work fine without a CL or a Cl 3 (Craft Wondrous Item Feat CL requirement) plus appropiate spellcasting level but what it says is Cl 17.

IMO specific custom or unique source book magic items particularly magic items in the DMG trumps the general crafting rules when they conflict each other under RAW (Although it is quite possible it could have been a design and review mistake since some of the designers and reviewers don't seem to be very familiar with basic mechanics and rules on occassion).

IMO a PC can usually work around that with another spellcaster of sufficient level or a scroll of that CL. Your original post said the DM is a stickler on crafting items and figured that would include the scrolls and possibly NPC spellcasters for spells above second or third level. (Still threw in the Druid spellcasting items though 5% of Thorps and Hamlets have a higher level one than normal).

IMO one of the reasons for the Cl17 for Pearls of Power is they are so useful to all party spellcasters and very cheap for what they do at low levels in long term campaigns so the designers tacked on the Cl 17 to leave it up to individual DMs to decide in their games the availability of the Pearls of Power since according to standard DMG demographics except for Adepts who may not have the feat NPC fullcasters of that level are normally only found in a Metropolis with a +12 for the highest level NPCs (Base average is 1D6 for Clerics and Druids and 1D4 for Sorcerers and Wizards before adding the locale bonus). DMG page 139.

From the SRD:

Pearl of Power
This seemingly normal pearl of average size and luster is a potent aid to all spellcasters who prepare spells (clerics, druids, rangers, paladins, and wizards). Once per day on command, a pearl of power enables the possessor to recall any one spell that she had prepared and then cast. The spell is then prepared again, just as if it had not been cast. The spell must be of a particular level, depending on the pearl. Different pearls exist for recalling one spell per day of each level from 1st through 9th and for the recall of two spells per day (each of a different level, 6th or lower).

Strong transmutation; CL 17th; Craft Wondrous Item, creator must be able to cast spells of the spell level to be recalled; Price 1,000 gp (1st), 4,000 gp (2nd), 9,000 gp (3rd), 16,000 gp (4th), 25,000 gp (5th), 36,000 gp (6th), 49,000 gp (7th), 64,000 gp (8th), 81,000 gp (9th), or 70,000 gp (two spells).

Yes Mike, but that is not the rule. No where, anywhere, does it say that the CL is the required caster level in order to craft any item. If a particular level is required to craft it, it clearly states that in the text of the item - Take a look at Amulet of Mighty Fists, Amulet of Protection, Cloak of Resistance, Bracers of Armor... they all list a required caster level, none of which are similar to the CL of the item. Every magic item has a CL attached to it, but it quite simply does not mean what you are stating here. So my DM being a stickler for the rules does not mean that he would impose a rule that does not exist.

#Raptor
2008-02-01, 08:50 AM
Heward's bedroll is pretty sick for a caster- Complete Mage, I think. Once per 48 hrs you can sleep in it for one hour and gain a full night's rest. This explicitly overrides the 8-hour-rest-before-spell-preparation rule.Once per 24 hours, actually. Complete Mage pg. 132.

Renx
2008-02-01, 09:02 AM
Don't forget the best single item for a wizard: Ring of Sustenance. For a measly 2,500gp (or was it 2,000gp) and a week's adjustment time, you lose the need to eat and your sleep reduces from 8 hours to 2. As wizards actually get their spells back in the "15 minutes of meditation" which happens after their rest period, this is unbelievably good.

A few immovable rods, some necklaces of fireballs, Heward's Handy Hoversack (oh, you have that, good), Rope of Climbing... try to get your DM to sell you shades that have Darkvision, 30' and Detect Magic.

Metamagic rods are always good. Have one of each, at least.

Chronicled
2008-02-01, 09:17 AM
Don't forget the best single item for a wizard: Ring of Sustenance. For a measly 2,500gp (or was it 2,000gp) and a week's adjustment time, you lose the need to eat and your sleep reduces from 8 hours to 2. As wizards actually get their spells back in the "15 minutes of meditation" which happens after their rest period, this is unbelievably good.

The Ring of Sustenance doesn't work that way. You still have to spend 8 hours relaxing, whether or not you're asleep; in the same vein, elves don't get to meditate for 4 hours and then prep spells.

Renx
2008-02-01, 09:30 AM
The Ring of Sustenance doesn't work that way. You still have to spend 8 hours relaxing, whether or not you're asleep; in the same vein, elves don't get to meditate for 4 hours and then prep spells.

Actually, no. A wizard has to "choose and prepare her spells ahead of time by getting a good night’s sleep and spending 1 hour studying her spellbook." A ring of sustenance makes the 2 hours of sleep as good as a "night's rest".

Tyger
2008-02-01, 09:33 AM
Yes Renx, but as noted above, rings and rods aren't possible.

Once more, with feeling this time.... :smallwink:

Items must be crafted by me or a party member. There are no magic items for sale anywhere in the world we're in, but its a relatively high magic world. Believe me... its stretching my believability too. Makes me nuts actually.

Feats available are:
Scribe Scroll (me)
Craft Wondrous (me)
Craft Arms & Armour (me)
Craft Staff (party cleric).

So no rings, no rods, no wands and no potions.

The ideas thus far have been great though. The more I think about it, the more I think a pair of Gloves of Dexterity are the way to go. I can get the +4 pair, and up my DEX at 12th level. 20 DEX will be nice to have indeed. Add in a level 2 Pearl of Power and that should about cover it.

Actually, no. A wizard has to "choose and prepare her spells ahead of time by getting a good night’s sleep and spending 1 hour studying her spellbook." A ring of sustenance makes the 2 hours of sleep as good as a "night's rest".

And no, the Ring doesn't work like that. Its been discussed dozens of times, and I think, though am not 100% positive, that its in the FAQ too. The Bedroll does allow spell memorization without 8 hours of rest, but that's because it explicitly states that it does. The ring gives you the sleep, but not the required 8 hours of "rest".

From the SRD's description of wizard's getting spells back:

Rest
To prepare her daily spells, a wizard must first sleep for 8 hours. The wizard does not have to slumber for every minute of the time, but she must refrain from movement, combat, spellcasting, skill use, conversation, or any other fairly demanding physical or mental task during the rest period. If her rest is interrupted, each interruption adds 1 hour to the total amount of time she has to rest in order to clear her mind, and she must have at least 1 hour of uninterrupted rest immediately prior to preparing her spells. If the character does not need to sleep for some reason, she still must have 8 hours of restful calm before preparing any spells.

Emphasis is mine. Its pretty clear there.

EDIT: Here's the excerpt from the FAQ:

The description of the ring of sustenance says the user gets all the benefits of 8 hours of sleep in 2 hours. How does this affect a bard, sorcerer, or wizard who wants to regain spells? Specifically, how does this interact with the casting limit rule in the Player’s Handbook?

In the case of a ring of sustenance, “all the benefits of 8 hours of sleep” means the character sleeps for 2 hours and regains 1 hit point per level (see the rules for natural healing on Chapter 8 of the Player’s Handbook). If the ring wearer is fatigued, 2 hours of sleep removes the fatigue. A wizard must have 8 hours of rest before regaining spells. If the wizard doesn’t have to sleep for some reason, she still requires 8 hours of rest to regain any spells (see Preparing Wizard Spells on page 177 of the Player’s Handbook). A ring of sustenance doesn't change that.

A bard or sorcerer regains spells only once a day, and a ring of sustenance doesn’t increase that.

A ring of sustenance also doesn’t exempt the wearer from the casting limit rule. Whenever a spellcaster gets a new set of spells, any spell slot she used in the last 8 hours is not available. This rule has nothing to do with how much sleep the spellcaster gets; it reflects how long a spell slot must remain empty before the character can refill it. The ring doesn’t make 8 hours pass, so it doesn’t help the character refill the used spell slot.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-02-01, 10:32 AM
Yes Mike, but that is not the rule. No where, anywhere, does it say that the CL is the required caster level in order to craft any item. If a particular level is required to craft it, it clearly states that in the text of the item - Take a look at Amulet of Mighty Fists, Amulet of Protection, Cloak of Resistance, Bracers of Armor... they all list a required caster level, none of which are similar to the CL of the item. Every magic item has a CL attached to it, but it quite simply does not mean what you are stating here. So my DM being a stickler for the rules does not mean that he would impose a rule that does not exist.

I disagree. Page 215 of the DMG just before the Prerequisites paragraph:

"For other magic items*, the caster level is determined by the the item itself. In this case, the creator's caster level must be as high as the items caster level (and prerequisites may effectively put a higher minimum on the creator's level)".

* The DMG is referring to items besides potions, scrolls and wands.

Tyger
2008-02-01, 11:43 AM
I disagree. Page 215 of the DMG just before the Prerequisites paragraph:

"For other magic items*, the caster level is determined by the the item itself. In this case, the creator's caster level must be as high as the items caster level (and prerequisites may effectively put a higher minimum on the creator's level)".

* The DMG is referring to items besides potions, scrolls and wands.

That was errata'd out.

From the official errata:

Caster Level
Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 215
Problem: The last two sentences in the section on Caster Level are ambiguous and potentially misleading.

Solution: Replace with this text: For other magic items, the caster level is determined by the creator. The minimum caster level is that which is needed to meet the prerequisites given.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-02-01, 11:56 AM
That was errata'd out.

From the official errata:

Great point. Thanks for responding and pointing that out. I'd crank out quite a few more Pearls of Power since they can be used by any spellcaster then (Sounds like a fun game). I'll keep that errata in mind for the future but I have way to many source books so I usually limit myself to them and the occassional house rule.

Tyger
2008-02-01, 11:58 AM
Yeah, Pearls are pretty sweet. Free spell per day? Check!

Starbuck_II
2008-02-01, 12:07 PM
But yeah, Pearl of Powers are like free regained spells.

nargbop
2008-02-01, 05:35 PM
Belt of Battle. This is the most cost-effective item in the game, and as a DM, I might even say "Pay triple for that". From Magic Item Compendium.
As a caster, an extra full round in an emergency is just nice. Just nice.

mostlyharmful
2008-02-01, 05:51 PM
I love level 1 Talismans (First level spells usable 1/day) very cheap at 300 gp market price.

Holy crap. Where's this one from? MIC? I don't have the book but I can shove a mechanic that simple and easily brewed into any campaign. There are any number of level one useful spells that don't see a whole lot of use beyound a certain point because there's true stike and grease.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-02-01, 06:42 PM
Holy crap. Where's this one from? MIC? I don't have the book but I can shove a mechanic that simple and easily brewed into any campaign. There are any number of level one useful spells that don't see a whole lot of use beyound a certain point because there's true stike and grease.

I agree it's why I love them since they use Craft Wondrous Item feat and in a few source books usually with different names but the same mechanic:

They are called Faith Tokens in Champions of Valor page 64-65 300 gp market (150 gp, 12 exp) Single level 1 spell 1/day or hold two cantrips each usable 1/day.

They were called Drow House Insignia page 129 City of the Spider Queen 1st level tokens were 360 gp market, 2nd level tokens were 2,160 gp market and 3rd level tokens were 5,400 gp market each usable 1/day

Believe they were also mentioned in another source book. Now consider applying the permanent mechanic (5/day usage) for a 5 times cost and experience multiplier for a lot of utility in game.