PDA

View Full Version : Ability Damage and Special Abilities

AnnShadow
2008-01-31, 02:41 PM
I plan on taking Ray of Stupidity which does 1d4 +1 of Intel DAMAGE (not an enhancement) With Split Ray and 2 hits this is 2d4+2.

If I hit a mob that has special abilities like teleport and drop its Intel below 9 (below the minimum to cast level 1 spells) can it still use its teleport special abilities?

thanks

Theli
2008-01-31, 02:50 PM
Most such abilities would be spell-like abilities. Unless the creature's text specifically states that it needs a minimum amount of a stat in order to use the ability, it won't be prevented from doing so.

AnnShadow
2008-01-31, 02:51 PM
Yeah I kinda thought that. some of a random mob I picked to check on this had SAs that were of a higher level than their INT would support

Craig1f
2008-01-31, 02:55 PM
Spell like abilities are not spells, and never require a minimum ability score to use. The exception being things that can be used, for example, "3 times plus your charisma score", if you have a -3 charisma bonus. (The holy liberator's remove fatigue ability comes to mind).

The ability score will affect save DCs where applicable.

For example, if I make a ranger, and then take 6 levels of horizon walker, and choose the shifting plane, I can dim door at will regardless of what my int, wis, and cha scores are.

nargbop
2008-01-31, 04:59 PM
Ray of enervation with split ray would be appropriate to use in this situation, I think. The target's ability to hurt you is significantly decreased when hit by two negative levels.

Where are these mobs from ? Are they similar to swarms ?

Starbuck_II
2008-01-31, 05:26 PM
Spell like abilities are not spells, and never require a minimum ability score to use. The exception being things that can be used, for example, "3 times plus your charisma score", if you have a -3 charisma bonus. (The holy liberator's remove fatigue ability comes to mind).

The ability score will affect save DCs where applicable.

For example, if I make a ranger, and then take 6 levels of horizon walker, and choose the shifting plane, I can dim door at will regardless of what my int, wis, and cha scores are.

That is plain wrong. Most spell-like abilities, however, use charisma. You can nullify a Gnome from using his spell like abilities by droppinghis Charisma below 10.
Not all spell-like abilities require mimimum abiit scores, but some do.

Amiria
2008-01-31, 05:27 PM

Isn't 'mob' video gamer slang for any kind of NPC/monster ?

Theli
2008-01-31, 05:34 PM
It started as MUD (multiple user dungeon, a text-based style of game) slang. There it was short for "mobile". Basically any entity that moved.

It has been appropriated for video game npcs.

Chronos
2008-01-31, 06:49 PM
On the other hand, ability score damage or drain (as opposed to penalty) can reduce a score to 0, which prevents the target from doing pretty much anything. This is where it pays to know your target, and what its weak points are.

Lord Tataraus
2008-01-31, 07:15 PM

I assume he is using video game slang, but it is not applicable in D&D since their actually are things called "mobs". A mob in D&D refers to the template (its stated as a creature but says how to change it based on the creature make up) in cityscape which can be applied to any group of creatures with an intelligence score, giving them a few swarm-like abilities.

AnnShadow
2008-01-31, 08:47 PM
Right. I understand that if I drop the critter to ZERO int that it goes into a coma and is helpless.

Which I will do to any and all animals and most monstrous animals

Animal = INT 2
Monstrous Animal (many) = 3
I know many have more than 3 but many have a 3. Figure a Giant whale killed with a single second level spell is pretty good.

A giant sabertooth tiger taken out by a 3rd level mage with a ranged touch attack... cool

Theli
2008-01-31, 08:50 PM
Yes, its pretty overpowered. Do your DM a favor and explain what it can do before using it.

RTGoodman
2008-01-31, 09:02 PM
That is plain wrong. Most spell-like abilities, however, use charisma. You can nullify a Gnome from using his spell like abilities by dropping his Charisma below 10.

Yep - nullify him by keeping him from using Ghost Sound, Prestidigitation, and Dancing Lights once per day. :smallwink: