PDA

View Full Version : Rankle Rocks...

TheCountAlucard
2008-01-31, 06:07 PM
I happened upon the article for "Rankle, Demonic Merchant," utterly by chance. However, once I saw it, I knew that I had to use the little guy in my homebrew campaign.

The players are adventuring in a dungeon under the red-light district of a city with a high-goblinoid population. One of the more labrynthine pathways in the dungeon leads right to the basement of Rankle's shop, where he does his more "private" dealings.

I was intrigued by the little dretch, and so were my players. His story, his appearance, the shiny amulet... they just ate it up. The players realize just how useful Rankle is, and are acting accordingly.

And so, thanks to Mr. Burlew, a good time was had by all!

SoD
2008-02-15, 06:19 AM
Heh, exactly the same for me, only I modified him slightly, as well as all the items and weapons, he has information on everything. He even knows one secret of one of the players, something that he thought only he knew! And he plays chess.

TheCountAlucard
2008-02-17, 11:59 PM
Awesome.

Recently the players found a way further down and encountered a Young Adult Black Dragon. They managed to kill the thing after a long, drawn-out battle.

If the players mention it to Rankle, I'm going to have him offer to have the heart made into the material component (BoVD, p. 46) in exchange for a small favor.

...Now I just need to think of an appropriate favor...

Metal Head
2008-02-18, 04:10 AM
Awesome.

Recently the players found a way further down and encountered a Young Adult Black Dragon. They managed to kill the thing after a long, drawn-out battle.

If the players mention it to Rankle, I'm going to have him offer to have the heart made into the material component (BoVD, p. 46) in exchange for a small favor.

...Now I just need to think of an appropriate favor...

I have a few ideas

1. They have to kill of someone who has found out what Rankle really is. This person could potentially reveal to them that Rankle is a dretch, not some burned halfling or goblin.

2. They just have to sign a contract (that happens to sell their souls to some demonic power)

3. The players need to blow up (or just destroy in any manner) a place that makes cold iron weapons.

Jalor
2008-02-18, 08:23 AM
I like Metal Head's first idea, It sounds like it would work.

TheCountAlucard
2008-02-18, 03:19 PM
I dunno, killing a guy seems a bit much in exchange for a 6 gp material component. But then again, in my opinion,the heart of a Chromatic dragon with 15+ HD would be worth a lot more than 6 gp...

I'm sure Rankle would ask for something a lot more subtle than "kill this guy for reasons I can't disclose." Rankle'd probably ask the PC's to leave a bottle of wine at the target's house, and simply not tell them that it's poisoned...

SoD
2008-02-21, 03:24 AM
Heh, I like that, but it wouldn't work for my group...

''He gives us a bottle of wine to deliver?''
''Yeah.''
''Cool.''

20 seconds later...

''...OK...give me a fortitude save.''

TheCountAlucard
2008-03-09, 05:16 AM
Heh, I like that, but it wouldn't work for my group...

''He gives us a bottle of wine to deliver?''
''Yeah.''
''Cool.''

20 seconds later...

''...OK...give me a fortitude save.''

This made me laugh.

Anyway, I'm going to have Rankle leave the city in the next session. They'll most likely see him again, of course. With the kind of business Rankle does, I'm sure he'd have to either do a lot of moving, or a lot of bribing.

EDIT: Do you guys wanna see a drawing of Rankle? I wanted to show the Giant, but he hasn't responded to my PM yet...