PDA

View Full Version : Browncoats

CommodoreFluffy
2008-01-31, 07:44 PM
Hey! Any fellow browncoats in the playground, lily, of course, and sheep, but who is crazy enough to even wear a brown leather coat while on the forums! Mal wasn't on the wrong side of the battle of serenity.

Come on, there has got to be some FIREFLY fans out there?:smallbiggrin: :smallwink: :smallsmile: :smallsigh: :smallconfused: :smallsigh: :smallmad: :smalleek:

It looks like nobody has seen this, but i bet you are just all waiting for me to double post, so you can report me! Too slow!

You make Wash cry.

Serenity
2008-01-31, 10:23 PM
Where on these boards have you been looking? There's lots of Browncoats around here!

CommodoreFluffy
2008-01-31, 10:31 PM
I know, they just don't respond. I mean...Mine is an evil laugh...

warty goblin
2008-01-31, 10:37 PM
Most of the time I wear a long brown shirt of some sort, and I always wear a brown vest, does that count?

Seriously, the only TV show that even comes close to Firefly is Babylon 5 IMHO. All else may be fun, but does not ascend the heights of brilliance as high as those two.

Sneak
2008-01-31, 10:43 PM
I think I have some sort of unhealthy obsession with this show.

It's just pure, unadulterated awesome. The characters are amazing, and every part of the show, from the drama to the humor (it's so quotable) to the action to the music...it's just great. There's no show in the 'verse that rivals Firefly.

I try to forget certain parts of Serenity, though. I like my Wash and Book alive.

Also, on a different note...Nathan Fillion is such an awesome and funny guy. In reality, I mean, not just as Mal.

But yeah, I've recently been rewatching all the episodes and making avatars of all the villains (you can find them in the villains iron avatarist in the arts and crafts section).

In fact, right as I type this, I'm watching Our Mrs. Reynolds.

And sorry if this post is kind of incoherent...I'm just so in love with this show.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-01-31, 10:59 PM
...Wow, I see nothing, so i leave for what 30 minutes, and four posts? what is this sorcery, or delayed reaction, i cant tell.

warty goblin
2008-01-31, 11:26 PM
In fact, right as I type this, I'm watching Our Mrs. Reynolds.

Best. Episode. Of. Anything. Ever.

That last scene is just so priceless. "I knew you kissed her." Kills me every time.

Episode I would give second place to in my totem of Greatest Episodes Ever is that one from Season 3 of B5 where they declare their independance and massive space battles ensue. But then, spaceships ramming each other has always occupied a near and dear place in my heart...

SilentNight
2008-01-31, 11:33 PM
Best episode has to be "A Man Named Jayne." My coat is gray, does that count? Poor Wash. Also I had a bet with a friend that they would clear up Book's history in Serenity. I say I won the bet but she says they didn't. Opinions?

CommodoreFluffy
2008-01-31, 11:43 PM
I like the pilot episode

They don't like it when you shoot at them, i worked it all out by myself!

SilentNight
2008-01-31, 11:46 PM
That is the reason I hate Fox. According to my friend they aired the pilot last and Out of Gas first. And then they went and cancelled it.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-01-31, 11:50 PM
I really wish they could finish the series, or at least the season. Man, it is a good show.

Tengu
2008-02-01, 12:44 AM
Asking are there any Firefly fans around is like asking are there any Discworld fans around - people here are such by default, exceptions are those who do not like it. Even I, a guy who generally doesn't watch live action series, love Firefly.

loopy
2008-02-01, 01:18 AM
Asking are there any Firefly fans around is like asking are there any Discworld fans around - people here are such by default, exceptions are those who do not like it. Even I, a guy who generally doesn't watch live action series, love Firefly.

Quoted for wisdom.

Cade
2008-02-01, 01:34 AM
Also I had a bet with a friend that they would clear up Book's history in Serenity. I say I won the bet but she says they didn't. Opinions?

Not all of his secrets have been revealed, but soon... (http://serenityverse.com/firefly/a-shepherds-tale-a-new-comic-book-and-hints-to-books-past/)

The Extinguisher
2008-02-01, 01:44 AM
Well, I was stuck in a POW camp during the war entertaining everyone with shadow puppets. Does that still count?

I love the series, if you couldn't tell.

Hell Puppi
2008-02-01, 01:47 AM
My group of friends took it upon themselves to say the song from the episode "Jane's Town" was their drinking song.
You know their snoggered when you start to hear: "Jane...the man they call Jane..."

I meant, um, yes, browncoat reporting in.

Fuzzy_Juan
2008-02-01, 02:19 AM
Firefly? Wasn't that that show in space with the guy from Hercules? I don't think I ever saw that show...was it any good?

Ha ha...no really, i just love Firefly and the movie...a damn shame they cancelled it early.

Icewalker
2008-02-01, 02:21 AM
I think I have some sort of unhealthy obsession with this show.

It's just pure, unadulterated awesome. The characters are amazing, and every part of the show, from the drama to the humor (it's so quotable) to the action to the music...it's just great. There's no show in the 'verse that rivals Firefly.

But yeah, I've recently been rewatching all the episodes and making avatars of all the villains (you can find them in the villains iron avatarist in the arts and crafts section).

Good summary. So...made avatars of the villains...

hmm...I'll be right back once I find your Jubal Early avatar. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: aw, no Early. Hmm...I like your Crow avatar though. I don't think I really want it as mine though. Not sure.

So yeah, I have all of the episodes on my computer, although I recently got the complete series on disc. It sits here next to my computer, shining and unopened. I think I may open it soon, I haven't watched them in a while.

Just an important note for you all: DON'T WATCH THEM TOO OFTEN! This is actually a terrible thing. If you play Firefly in the background of everything you do, it will stop being funny. At least, most of the time. Firefly's awesome may be so powerful that it is partially exempt from this, but I doubt it. I would watch Futurama in the background of almost everything, off my iPod...they aren't funny anymore, because my mind just auto-recites the lines as it plays...and they aren't jokes, they are just words. I haven't watched them in over a year now, and I think it may have worn off some. So just a warning...don't overwatch Firefly.

Double edit: I stand corrected. You did them slightly below. hehe, Stitch.

Hrm...I'm indecisive. I don't know whether I want to use the Early avatar or not. Either way I need to ask you first. So, Sneak, can I (possibly) use your awesome avatar?

By the way, a fun extra I learned reading Killer Angels: there was a southern general in the American civil war named Jubal Early. :smallwink:

Vuzzmop
2008-02-01, 02:30 AM
I've only seen bits, but what I saw, I loved. I may not be a browncoat, but definately a flan.

Lyesmith
2008-02-01, 02:30 AM
Oh! Oh! I'm a browncoat! I occasionally slip into firefly-talk in standard conversations, and i swear in mandarin (all leanred from firefly!)

I dont think anyone else i know watches it though, which is a shame.:smallfrown:

Icewalker
2008-02-01, 02:48 AM
I got my friend into it, and he has spread it to at least 2 more people.

Then, another friend of mine who was a huge fan of it before me, actually dressed up as Simon for Halloween. And his girlfriend was Kaylee. It was pretty awesome (I never saw him as Simon, but she came to school as Kaylee. Apparently he got a nice jacket with a muddy handprint on the back :smallbiggrin: )

The Duskblade
2008-02-01, 03:21 AM
Browncoat number god only knows (That would be Joss Whedon) I occasionally say shinney and if I should happen to say or think 50-50 I sort of mentally add: Not that it matters (Don't ask why.) Not quite at the swearing in Chinese point though. (That probably has something to do with my resoundingly sucky attempt at the language.)

Lu Yan
2008-02-01, 03:44 AM
*looks down at his brown coat* i wonder if im one...

Chronicled
2008-02-01, 03:56 AM
*Pops head up*

If I'd seen this thread earlier, I'd have posted then. Firefly is the greatest show ever to hit the air. Ever.

I'm hoping to name my first son Hoban Washburn _______... assuming I can find a Browncoat significant other :smalltongue:.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-02-01, 09:29 AM
Most of the time I wear a long brown shirt of some sort, and I always wear a brown vest, does that count?

Hmm, almost all of my coats/jackets are black, and the few that aren't have no brown. I do own a brown t-shirt, though.

Anyway, I really enjoy Firefly. I wouldn't call myself a Browncoat, but I most definitely like the show.

Kaelaroth
2008-02-01, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't call myself a Browncoat, but I do have both Serenity and Firefly on DVD, watch 'em every so often, and enjoy them. I love Summer Glau (but hate River... ich) and would identify myself as a half-baked flan.

Karaswanton
2008-02-01, 03:03 PM
Best episode has to be "A Man Named Jayne." My coat is gray, does that count? Poor Wash. Also I had a bet with a friend that they would clear up Book's history in Serenity. I say I won the bet but she says they didn't. Opinions?

That was my favorite episode as well. Jayne was my favorite character.
I love when he gets choked up and says, "you had a riot..for me?"

fendrin
2008-02-01, 03:24 PM
I once played Simon in a Firefly LARP at a larping convention. My girlfriend at the time played River... that was a little weird, but overall so much fun! I went for the 'metallic vest over white shirt with black pants' look, and styled my hair like Simon's.

The first I had ever seen of it was when War Stories was on TV. I was channel surfing and came across the torture scene. I changed the channel pretty quickly, but for some reason, I kept flipping back to it... though I never did figure out what show it was, until years later I borrowed the DVDs from someone...

I started typing in a few favorite quotes, but it got pretty out of hand :smallbiggrin:

"Whoa. Good Bible."

"Whoa. Good Myth."

"Preacher, you got a smutty mind."

"A special hell."

"If your hand touches steel, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

"It's disgusting! Oh and look, there's something in a jar." "This may come as something of a surprise, but I'm not all that good at talking to girls." "Why, is there someone you are good at talking to?"

"The way I see it, you've been given the smallest end of the stick, and you, well, you took it. And that's somethin'."

"Of course, the tickets cost as much as diamond the size of a testicle, but I got my hands on a couple." "..." "Of tickets!"

"Why Fanny Mayfield, how lovely you look. It must have taken a dozen slaves a dozen days to get you into it. Of course, your daddy tells me it takes the space of a schoolboy's wink to get you back out of it."

"Am I lion? I don't think of myself as a lion, but I do have a mighty roar."

"I'll be in my bunk."

"No power in the 'verse can stop me."

"If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak."

"It was my birthday."

and of course...

"Huh."

(forgive any errors, these were all off the top of my head :smallwink: )

Serenity
2008-02-01, 05:08 PM
"Do you wanna run this ship?"
"Yes."
"Well...you can't!

Sneak
2008-02-01, 07:44 PM
Best. Episode. Of. Anything. Ever.

That last scene is just so priceless. "I knew you kissed her." Kills me every time.

I dunno. I'm quite partial to Shindig myself, and of course the extra-length pilot is awesome too. But yes, that scene is great.

Isn't that episode called Jaynestown? Anyway, they most definitely did not clear up Book's history. A shame, too.

That is the reason I hate Fox. According to my friend they aired the pilot last and Out of Gas first. And then they went and cancelled it.

I'm pretty sure they started out with The Train Job after Fox deemed that Serenity was 'unsuitable' because Mal wasn't 'jolly' enough and the crew were all nobodies. Also, they never originally aired Trash, The Message, or Heart of Gold.

Not all of his secrets have been revealed, but soon... (http://serenityverse.com/firefly/a-shepherds-tale-a-new-comic-book-and-hints-to-books-past/)

Hmm. Sounds interesting.

By the way, has anyone read the other comics? I'm intrigued by them, as I'm an avid Firefly fan, but I'm a little dubious as to how well the show's spirit can be translated to comic form. Any comments?

Double edit: I stand corrected. You did them slightly below. hehe, Stitch.

Hrm...I'm indecisive. I don't know whether I want to use the Early avatar or not. Either way I need to ask you first. So, Sneak, can I (possibly) use your awesome avatar?

Sure, if you want.

By the way, a fun extra I learned reading Killer Angels: there was a southern general in the American civil war named Jubal Early. :smallwink:

Yeah, apparently Nathan Fillion is a distant relative of the real Early and mentioned that to Whedon once, and Joss decided to use the name for the character.

"you had a riot..for me?"

My very own riot? :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Also, has anyone seen the extended gag reel from Firefly and/or the bloopers from Serenity? The coffin scene with Nathan Fillion is hilarious (as well as the mustache scene), and the 'back-spaceship pilot' scene from Serenity is also hilarious.

Scorpina
2008-02-01, 07:46 PM
I don't own a brown coat...

I do however own a parasol, like Kaylee's...

Talya
2008-02-01, 08:01 PM
Shiny. :smallsmile:

Icewalker
2008-02-01, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I think I'll get around to opening this soon. Probably this weekend.

So, some decisions: best episode and best line I think are two worth considering. I think the episodes are pretty easily divided into three categories, in order from worst to best:

Awesome: Out of Gas (this is in terms of the episode in itself. Its main purpose was to support the other episodes), Bushwacked, Heart of Gold, The Message, Safe

Freaking Amazing: The Train Job, Trash, Serenity, Ariel

Shiny: Shindig, Jaynestown, Our Mrs. Reynolds, War Stories, Objects in Space

Best lines...oh god, this one is trouble. Too many. I think the first thing to do is pick the best line from each episode, 2 if there are two amazing ones.

warty goblin
2008-02-01, 10:13 PM
I don't own a brown coat...

I do however own a parasol, like Kaylee's...

Do they come with Kaylee, or is that a lucky extra?

North
2008-02-01, 10:17 PM
Huge Firefly fan here!

And I even live in the same town that Nathan Fillion comes from.

I actually met him once. Sorta.

I was working at a computer store and him and his brother came in. I thought no way is that him! Just looks a lot like him.... They me asked if we sold Macs, we didnt, they left. I kick myself for not asking if it was him, cause I was in shock :smallfrown:

Ulrichomega
2008-02-01, 10:33 PM
Firefly is on par with the creation of Eden in my book. Nothing better.

Don't have a brown-coat, but I know someone who is never without one.

Logic
2008-02-01, 10:55 PM
Yet another Browncoat, reporting as ordered!

And, if you can find it, the graphic novel that bridges the gap between the series and the movie is good, but not a must own, nor a must read.

Just my 2 cents.

Zeful
2008-02-01, 11:42 PM
I liked Firefly and wished that Fox had it continued despite not meeting it's demographical quotas.

My Favorite Quote:
Simon: I can't keep track of my sister when she's not incorporeally possessing ships, don't look at me.

Icewalker
2008-02-01, 11:46 PM
*twitch*perfectionist with a ridiculous memory*twitch*

Sorry if this offends you, but quotes that are even barely off, even if still funny, make me twitch wildly. I think it is because I can hear them saying it in my head, and if the words are different it comes out wrong.

"I can't keep track of her when she's not incorporeally possessing a spaceship, don't look at me."

also, "Well, my sister's a ship. Way to complicate a childhood."

Sneak
2008-02-02, 12:15 AM
*twitch*perfectionist with a ridiculous memory*twitch*

Sorry if this offends you, but quotes that are even barely off, even if still funny, make me twitch wildly. I think it is because I can hear them saying it in my head, and if the words are different it comes out wrong.

"I can't keep track of her when she's not incorporeally possessing a spaceship, don't look at me."

also, "Well, my sister's a ship. Way to complicate a childhood."

*twitch*

"Well, my sister's a ship. We had a complicated childhood."

:smalltongue:

Icewalker
2008-02-02, 03:40 AM
*twitch*

"Well, my sister's a ship. We had a complicated childhood."

:smalltongue:

I've actually had minor debate over what is actually said in that line. I hear 'Way to complicate a childhood' and others hear that. Because there are more people who think it is the one you are pointing out, it is probably right.

Yeah, listening to it again, I think you are probably right.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-02-02, 12:46 PM
Was that the Primary Buffer panel:smallmad: ?

I always say shiny, it is better than cool, it's just shiny!:smallyuk: :smalltongue: :smallwink: :smallbiggrin: :smallsmile:

Icewalker
2008-02-02, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I do that sometimes as well. I usually try to use it only when something is really awesome though.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-02-02, 02:33 PM
The word shiny, is just kind'a happier, I don't know

North
2008-02-02, 02:48 PM
I tend to use the words Shiny and Gorram whenever I can. The chinese Id like to use but have no skills.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-02-02, 06:48 PM
I am actually in a Mandarin class in my High School, which is pretty cool

Lyesmith
2008-02-02, 06:57 PM
I say "Dhong Lu Mah" (spelled wrong.) at pretty much every turn, its a great impromptu swearword, despite actually meaning "Are we clear here?"

Sneak
2008-02-02, 07:29 PM
I am actually in a Mandarin class in my High School, which is pretty cool

I say "Dhong Lu Mah" (spelled wrong.) at pretty much every turn, its a great impromptu swearword, despite actually meaning "Are we clear here?"

I thought it was just 'Dong ma' (meaning 'understand,' or something like that).

Scorpina
2008-02-02, 10:21 PM
Do they come with Kaylee, or is that a lucky extra?

Alas, twas just the parasol for sale.

warty goblin
2008-02-02, 10:30 PM
Alas, twas just the parasol for sale.

Darn, I could use a Kaylee in my life about now. Still will need to get a parasol like that though. Sure everybody will laugh at me (well, actually they won't, I took Greater Social Invisibility at second level[grants +8 on hide checks made to avoid social attention as long as I take no more than a move action, can always take 10 even when threatened]), but I'll be all shiny then.

Lu Yan
2008-02-03, 01:09 AM
I can't believe i spent $50 on the full DVD collection... I just really like the show :smallbiggrin: but I'm a cheap man.

LBO
2008-02-03, 06:59 AM
"Dong ma," meaning "Understand?" Check the Firefly pinyinary (http://fireflychinese.kevinsullivansite.net/) if you're unsure about anything, it's really good.:smallsmile:

CommodoreFluffy
2008-02-03, 01:17 PM
Dong, bu dong? has the same meaning