PDA

View Full Version : How many undead does "Command Undead" control?

Phased Weasel
2008-01-31, 09:25 PM
I'm reading through the spell description for Command Undead on the SRD, and it seems like I could control a ridiculously large number of undead. It's a 2nd level spell, and lasts for as many days as you have levels.

So say I'm a 10th level caster and have 5 level 2 spells per day. Can I control 50 mindless undead, just needing to recast it fresh on 10 each day?

If I had a supply of say 28 HD zombie giants, I can have a stupidly large army?

Something doesn't seem right.

sonofzeal
2008-01-31, 09:30 PM
Where are you going to find all these undead all over the place, though?

tyckspoon
2008-01-31, 09:31 PM
mm.. no, that's right. It's a really potent spell for the necromantically-inclined and really the only viable way to get a proper zombie/skeleton horde. You have to be a little careful about you or your allies doing things that could be harmful to undead near them, but other than that you can potentially acquire as many minions as you have spells to cast.

Edit:

Targets: Up to 2 HD/level of undead creatures, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart

That's Control Undead, which also only lasts a minute/level. Command Undead just says 'one undead creature' and unintelligent undead don't get to save against it. It really wouldn't be out of place to swap the two spells, considering the potential effects of each.

Phased Weasel
2008-01-31, 10:00 PM
Where are you going to find all these undead all over the place, though?

A wizard could go slaughter some giants and use Fell Animate to bring 'em in line. An uttercold assault necromancer with 50 frost giant zombies? Jeebus.

BRC
2008-01-31, 10:02 PM
A spell made with the assumption that PC's are all good guys who don't use necromacy, proably to explain why the big evil guy controls all those zombies.

Jack Zander
2008-02-01, 01:24 AM
A spell made with the assumption that PC's are all good guys who don't use necromacy, proably to explain why the big evil guy controls all those zombies.

That's about right. Sums up most all of the overpowered stuff in the game.

DnD is balanced based off of the honor system.

Kantolin
2008-02-01, 05:13 AM
Alternately, command undead might be perfectly logical for a good-minded wizard to use when facing said undead army.

Turn them back on their creator, or against each other. It's not even you creating the undead (which is evil), but it's you taking undead that someone else has created and using them for some good.

Or at least non-evil.

Jack_Simth
2008-02-01, 07:16 AM
mm.. no, that's right. It's a really potent spell for the necromantically-inclined and really the only viable way to get a proper zombie/skeleton horde.
Not the only - not the only Core method, even - if you've got Leadership (for the followers), and you're a Cleric, Animate Dead qualifies for being made into an Oil (3rd level spell, non-personal, standard action casting time). With a little prep-work and expended resources, each of your living minions can have four times your caster level in undead at their (and indirectly, your) command.

Irreverent Fool
2008-02-01, 12:20 PM
Command Undead offers mindless undead no save... I'm really glad that the party wizard in the group I DM for has necromancy as a banned school or that final climactic encounter with the green dragon skeleton at the end of 'Unfamiliar Ground' would have been... well... anti-climactic.

My 16th level sorcerer tried using it on a lich on a lark. Poor bastard (the DM) failed his save. "Give me all of your equipment" qualifies as something that a lich wouldn't ordinarily do, but guess who has a better charisma check. :smallbiggrin:

This spell is too powerful for a second-level spell. But then, most spells are too powerful anyway.