PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good d20 Variant System for Low Magic

Farmer42
2008-02-01, 12:22 AM
As the topic says, I'm looking for a good variant for low magic, specifically to run a campaign set in the world of David Eddings' Belgariad. Any suggestions welcome.

LibraryOgre
2008-02-01, 01:31 AM
E6 would work, though you'd more or less have to handwave any acts of sorcery.

Mavian
2008-02-01, 02:57 AM
Iron Heroes is low to almost no magic,

Kilroy
2008-02-01, 03:36 AM
I'm not sure low magic would be very precise in that scenario. A grolim or disciple would almost have to be at least mid. And where would you fit in karind demon summoners or the Dals? Why not just can most item creation feats and reduce the world pop. of casters to .05%.

Farmer42
2008-02-01, 03:44 AM
The demon summoning is actually going to be the easiest part since I can just toss in sorc/alienists with summoning spells, and a restriction on only fielding one at a time. Give them a d6 HD, better weapon profs, and allow them to cast in light armor, and you basically have them down pat. Grolims still have me lost, but the magic using ones weren't as common in the world as we see them in the books. The sort of went after Will and the Word users like moths to a flame.

Swordguy
2008-02-01, 03:52 AM
Iron Heroes and E6 are your best bets. I'd lean more towards Iron Heroes, but E6 has the advantage of not having to buy more stuff...

Farmer42
2008-02-01, 03:55 AM
How is Iron Heroes? I haven't had a chance to take a look at it, since none of the stores round here-abouts have had it in stock. I looked at E6 for it originally, but it doesn't really appeal to me.